Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

I actually tried rewatching season four too, but I got as far as the episode with the german guys before I had to stop. It was just so embarrassingly bad.

Nick Kroll is very funny on "The League", though. I'm glad I've started watching that since the Karate Kid episode of Community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

Kroll wasn't in the season four episode with the german guys though. There was some other guy that replaced him. Made it even worse imho.

Whoops. Shows how well I know season four. :shobon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bown posted:

I hated that plot, then really liked it, then the last time I saw it disliked it again. But the other storylines in the episode are great.

If Jeff had actually managed to sleep with the mom, I think I would like it more -- that seemed like a funny direction to be going in.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Yahoo gets its first Emmy nomination after reviving NBC's 'Community' online

Ben Scott, Stunt Coordinator -- Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Comedy Series Or A Variety Program

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It was a pretty great show, and I'm glad it was around as long as it could be.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vegetable posted:

Finally rewatching Season 1 now. It really feels quite a bit different from the other seasons. The biggest difference is here, Britta is not yet rendered into an idiot. In fact she occasionally outmaneuvers Jeff and it's incredibly satisfying.

The production values are also way higher and the whole thing feels less cartoony.

I thought it was really cool when Britta broke into Jeff's ex-condo and stole his faucets for him. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GoutPatrol posted:

Season 2 they really tried to hide it, but in 3, 4, & 5 everything is indoors.

I've been listening to old Harmontown podcasts lately, and Dan said (possibly as a joke) that Subway was the reason they'd be able to film outside in season 6.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mustached5thGrader posted:

My mom just called to tell me Dan & Erin are getting divorced and she's afraid he's going to kill himself (the Harmontown documentary really touched her)

They were going to couples therapy way before they actually got married; I can't believe they're already breaking up.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Austrian mook posted:

Nobody knows what you're talking about

I think I know.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr_Amazing posted:

So Erin is still playing with them? That seems like a recipe for disaster.

I think they've already played most, if not all, of the game sessions. Also, from how Dan talks about it, it definitely sounds like wants to still be friends with Erin.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Echophonic posted:

So people can talk about Dan Harmon's trainwreck of a personal life and his podcast.

That's right; a new podcast episode should be coming out today! :neckbeard:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Space_Butler posted:

"Good riddance" used in that way made both perfect sense and no sense. If the show were still going, I could see that getting shoved into a script somehow.

That story was great, Dan constantly getting Schrab-d was great, this was a great episode because of Schrab, Schrab for permanent guest.

Schrab is a national treasure, but I'm not sure Dan's heart could handle the stress of having him on every week.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SomeJazzyRat posted:

All I want is an episode where Schrab and Mitch Herwitz are both guesting. I just want to see the man who prides himself on how frazzled people can get (mainly Dan) meet the chillest celebrity guest to date. It's the Unflappable subject meeting the perpetually Flapping force.

And Kumail because he's always fun.

One of my favorite episodes was when Schrab was on for a Scud anniversary, and Hurwitz and Kumail busted his balls and it was fantastic. Schrab is great when people are beating up on him; he's so good at being the victim.

Edit: episode 87, "Kiss Doesn't Get the Joke" http://podbay.fm/show/542228532/e/1390849890

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Dan Harmon update: he seems to be seriously saying he's going to order a new Real Doll and stop dating. :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Klungar posted:

To... to replace an existing one? :gonk:

He's talked about it before; he had one some years ago, along with a couple of mannequins.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crindee posted:

Yeah, though that isn't really on Dan, part of Aubrey Plaza's whole thing is making whoever's interviewing her feel like they're pulling teeth.

Dan sounded crushingly depressed between Aubrey Plaza and Shadowrun. At least the guy who had gum surgery cheered him up a little. :unsmith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It's not over! :toot:

Top TV Shows of 2015

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 10, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In semi-related news, Dan Harmon, Justin Roiland, and Rob Schrab are all going to be writing for the Mystery Science Theater 3000 reboot that they're working on. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

This is one of the reasons I can't listen to Harmontown anymore. Also because I just couldn't get through any more dungeons and dragons

They play Shadowrun now. They're comically bad at it, and it's pretty fun.

Although Dan has seemed emotionally down the last couple of shows. :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElCondemn posted:

Really? I think he's just playing up his incredulity because of Schrab, also Spencer not being there totally changes the dynamic of the show. I can't wait for them to try something else, Shadowrun is too complicated and has lots of dice to roll, they really need a more simple system like pathfinder.

I might be an episode behind, but two shows ago was when he got in a tizzy because reddit people kept saying they missed Kumail. I can't easily articulate what felt wrong about the next episode, but it felt like he was trying too hard to push something out -- maybe it's because he didn't have any topics on his phone to get things started.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ratjaculation posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd0pJ5araUU

this is depressing. and steve fry, why...

Well, McHale and Fry are good. They just need to replace everybody else. And half of the jokes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jackapol posted:

Ok that looks terrible in almost every way, but am I blind or is that the old Newsradio set? I'd be absolutely shocked it was still around after all these years but the floor plan looks so drat similar, with the long office and risen area in back where the booth was.

I had a similar thought when he walked over to the elevator; it looks a lot like the Newsradio set.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeJF posted:

Also, can someone tell me the target demographic of that show?

People who are old enough that they enjoy making fun of the way young people talk and act and work.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cartouche posted:

Not going to argue. As someone who didn't already have an opinion of her humor or lack of, having not seen/heard TAH. People thought she was funny in TAH, I get it. That doesn't mean she was anything of the sort when plugged into Community.

I had never seen her before Community, and I thought she was terrific. :shrug:

(I should get around to checking out this Thrilling Adventure Hour thing.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PriorMarcus posted:

I assume they are nice to each other post divorce because Dan is desperate and lonely and Erin knows which side her toast is buttered on.

They've both said they're on good terms with most of their exes; people don't have to hate each other after a breakup.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

Nice, does this mean they've cut the DnD stuff from Harmontown? That's why I stopped listening, I really can't stand listening to DnD campaigns

They usually end the show with some improv now. Some of them are very good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Naylenas posted:

Spencer was pretty much the only saving grace of the Harmontown D&D segments. He comes off as a very well-prepared GM who has to corral a bunch of spotlight addicts who don't really understand how the game works. They got better though, and HarmonQuest is loving amazing.

There was some brilliant stuff in the D&D segments. Steve Agee as Woody Allen? (It was Steve Agee, right?) Matt Gourley as attorney Skeleton Gary? If they were actually focused, dedicated, achievement-oriented players, it wouldn't have been good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hedrigall posted:

You can't be sassy about it when that section is called "Rapidly Going Deaf", a name which gives no indication that it's a subforum specifically for podcast discussion. I only found it because after you posted that I went hunting to see if you were being sassy or genuinely saying there should be a podcast subforum.

It's also for talking about radio shows.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Klungar posted:

Dan Harmon is apparently leading up the writing on the reshoots for 'Doctor Strange', that's quasi-Community related!

Doctor Strange is my favorite superhero. This might be awesome. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Klungar posted:

They should have got Publick/Hammer to just write some Dr. Orpheus dialogue, but Dr. Rick Sanchez Strange works too.

:swoon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Last Chance posted:

Yeah wasn't that the entire point of meeting her parents? Britta always described them as overbearing jerks, but they really were just normal people. It's not technically a continuity error if that idea is explained like it was..

They did admit that they hadn't been perfect during her childhood, but I don't think they could have been the tyrants she imagined they were.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El Tortuga posted:

Laugh all your want, but this crappy CBS sitcom might have Joel working for the next 10 years and get him an Emmy or two.

In any case, network sitcom stars make significant wads of money, so he's going to be all right.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JD posted:

Is Dan's ex wife going to be featured in the second season? Cause if so, I'm out

Some people don't like Erin, and that's a shame, because she's got a weird and funny sense of humor.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Escobarbarian posted:

meowmeowbeenz is actually my favourite episode, but i can't really explain why.

Because it's got the Koogler in it. :cool:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hughlander posted:

I assume its game show rules. The entire season is recorded over 2 days max.

For the first run of Harmonquest, they did two shows a night. (I think the shows were 45 minutes long and then edited down to 30 for the episodes.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Escobarbarian posted:

Intro to Recycled Cinema is worse than most of s4 imo

Is that the episode where Abed makes a movie and acts like he's Jesus? That one was terrible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cerepol posted:

Its the one with Ham Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl Chang. They try to make a movie from like 10 seconds of footage. Its not good.

Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples is the Abed God documentary one.

I think it was a bit straightforward in how it played and what the outcomes were but I still think its a solid episode.
Also I liked the Pierce storyline where he hangs with Leonards crew because hes lonely.

Sefer posted:

That's Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples from season 2, and in my experience, people who were raised Catholic tend to think it's great. They're taking about the season 6 episode where they make a sci-fi movie using bits of footage of Chang after Chang gets briefly famous.

Thanks for the info. :tipshat:

And yeah, now that I'm reminded of the Pierce-and-Leonard thing, that was fun. I just did not care about the "post-modern Jesus" business. (No, not raised Catholic. :) )

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Spacebump posted:

A cast photo from the alternate timeline where Community is entering season 8.
https://twitter.com/DrKenABC/status/847969601782722562

I initially read it as "metastatic" instead of "metatastic". :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hanales posted:

I'm pretty excited for HarmonQuest season 2. I'm glad Erin is coming back. I actually found Dan Harmon to be the least enjoyable part of that show.

I hope this isn't the wrong thing to say, but he's more fun when he's drinking. I bet he feels pressure to put on a better show, as opposed to "just doing a podcast".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kickascii posted:

Yikes, Dan stopped drinking? Hard to believe. I used to really love Harmontown but his relentless identity politics started to annoy me too much and I stopped listening 5 or 6 months ago. I should check back in and see how he's doing.

He's just trying to be more sober during the D&D sessions; I'm pretty sure he's still in the Ketel One Alliance. :patriot:

• Locked thread