Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Info taken from cubsfan's preview on Voices of Wrestling since my lucha knowledge is limited. I've never even watched a full AAA card held in the modern era but the card looks cool, I'm a big fan of Lucha Underground, and I'm curious to see how Rey looks.

http://internetvluchalibreaaa.com to order and watch. Site's really easy to use and 150 pesos is slightly under :10bux:. Card looks well worth it.

How does Lucha Underground work in AAA anyway?:

Vaguely, at best. On Lucha Underground, AAA’s mentioned but the exact details are generally ignored unless there’s something specific they’re bringing over that show. It’s the same in Mexico. AAA mentions the existence of Lucha Underground, but the exact details of what goes on there are not mentioned. It has to be that way, since some of the same people play different characters. Super Fly and Sexy Star, and Ivelisse are among those playing radically different characters in each company. Others, like Fenix, Texano, Drago and Aerostar. are exactly the same. Both King Cuerno and Hijo del Fantasma are heels, but Fantasma is wrestles more as a fast paced body obsessed junior heavyweight.

There's 6 announced matches plus two prelmins tba:

1. Bengala, Drago and Súper Nova vs. Daga, El Hijo de Pirata Morgan and Súper Fly

What’s This About?: Nothing, really. Just getting six more guys on the card with using a trophy or a belt. Hijo de Pirata Morgan has been putting together a new trio with veteran Electroshock and a newcomer without a name, so we’ll probably see them by the end of this match. Súper Nova’s not the ECW guy, but Texano Jr.’s younger brother who’s just started here. Bengala is still better known as Ricky Marvin. Drago and Súper Fly are from Lucha Underground character, though Fly is now an unmasked rudo in AAA.

Will This Be Any Good?: Yea, probably. It’s simply six guys who can go, with full license to start off the show strong. The Pirata trio storyline will probably factor into the finish or the post match, but the match should be fun regardless.

2. Fénix vs Hijo del Fantasma ©(King Cuerno) for the AAA Cruiserweight Championship

What’s This About?: Rudo Hijo del Fantasma (King Cuerno in Lucha Underground) offered a shot for his championship to anyone who wanted it, and Fenix took him up on it. Fenix beat him clean in their last trios encounter.

Will This Be Any Good?: Yes. It’s going to be nothing but a ton of moves, but Fenix and Fantasma are both highly motivated to steal the show. Both are looking to crack into the increasingly packed main event picture. AAA doesn’t book a lot of straight single title matches outside of the main title. A good performance here would open the door to move.

3. Angélico, Blue Demon Jr. and Jack Evans vs. Los Hell Brothers (Averno, Chessman and Cibernético)

What’s This About?: Last fall, Cibernético decided to return to his default setting of “rudo”, recreating his Hell Brothers trio. That’s all fine and well, but Cibernético accomplished all of that by attacking Blue Demon Jr. from behind with a chair. (That seems to happen to Demon a lot.) The Hell Brothers have been harassing Jack & Angelico of late, bringing them into this trios match.

Will This Be Any Good?: Could be. Demon & Cibernético are kind of a drag on the other four. They’re smart enough to get out of their way and pick their spots, but the finish of the match probably revolves around them. Angelico & Jack were the best tag team in Mexico last year and Averno & Chessman are worthwhile opponents for them, it’s just a matter of the storyline obstacles.

4. El Patrón Alberto vs Brian Cage

What’s This About?: Brian Cage demands an immediate title shot where ever he goes. In AAA, his reasoning is he used to get the best of Alberto del Rio in FCW everyday they trained together, making it a sure thing that he could do the same thing in AAA. Cage pinned Alberto in his AAA debut, so he may have a point, but this is a non-title match.

Will This Be Any Good?: Possibly no? Alberto has been told people has a torn quad, which would make any lengthy good match a real struggle. There’s an easy solution here: Cage is clearly going to get that title shot, so he might as well win dominantly and quickly to continue the build. It’d be a bit of a disappointment from what this could’ve been, but they’ll have a rematch to better it later.

5. Aero Star vs. Psycho Clown vs. El Mesías(Mil Muertas) vs. El Texano Jr. Rey de Reyes Final - 4 way elimination[

What’s This About?: AAA holds an annual King Of The Ring style tournament and it’s treated as one of the biggest possible victories of the year. All won four-way qualifying matches, and have to one another to take him the giant sword presented to the victor. Texano and Psycho Clown feuded most of 2014, with the Psycho taking Texano’s hair at least year’s TripleMania. Mesias (an unmasked Mil Muertes from Lucha Underground) is a multitime heavyweight champion and former winner of the tournament who’s been lost in the shuffle here, prior to a surprise heel turn at the last TV taping before Rey de Reyes. Aerostar is just happy to be nominated.

Will This Be Any Good?: Yep. That Psycho/Texano match was fantastic, Mesias always looks to have an epic match on big shows, and Aerostar’s flying will spread him out against the more grounded fighters. There’s a lot of intrigue here too: we’re usually pretty sure who’s going to take home this tournament by the time of the final, but there’s no clear favorite. The last six months have been the greatest moments of Aerostar’s career, and the unlikely victory would complete his rise to a top-level competitor. Mesias turning rudo and winning this tournament would suggest a big plan for his immediate future. Psycho Clown and Texano would both recapture some attention; they were both designed to be New Stars of AAA in 2014 before three ex-WWE stars fell in their lap.

6. Myzteziz and Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. El Hijo del Perro Aguayo and Pentagón Jr.

What’s This About?: Rey Misterio’s inclusion on this show was announced so close to Rey de Reyes AAA couldn’t really build a story around this match. It still works out without him. Old CMLL rivals Myzteziz and Perro Aguayo have been feuding intensely this year, including a recent blood soaked encounter on TV. Pentagon Jr., the best rudo to work with high flyers in the promotion, has been working as Myzteziz’ opponent on house shows and is allied with Perro.

Will This Be Any Good?: That’s the hope! This will defintely be good if you’re looking to see if Rey Mysterio Jr. can still go. Perro and Pentagon are the two best AAA has to offer in making a rudo look good, in complete different ways. Perro’s a master of hiding weakness by turning the start of every match into a brawl into the crowd, drawing off his charisma and willingness to bleed (a lot.) Pentagon’s gotten US fame for his ability to destroy, but he’s even better as the base which makes all high flyers look even better. Rey only needs to do a basic match to come off as a star, and the spotlight may not even end on him. AAA’s hinted at Myzteziz and Perro Aguayo Jr. finally having their mask versus hair match at this year’s TripleMania. It’ll be clear by the end of this match.

Should I Order This Show (In A Perfect World?):

Definitely. Most of the card should be ***+ matches, and some have a chance to be much better than that. It’s really good value for $10. Also, 3D!

Should I Order This Show In The Real World?

This is the problem. AAA’s tried two iPPVs prior. Both of them failed, one of them completely. This is a yet another iPPV company, and they were able to successfully air a free show a few months ago. Still, no one’s going to trust AAA to pull off an iPPV until they actually do. (The unspoken reality is AAA is using Rey de Reyes as another trial run, in hopes they can rebuild their reputation before the big show.) No one can guarantee this’ll work. The show is scheduled to be available to buy for 10 days after it airs; if you’re at all concerned about wasting a Sunday waiting to see if a stream works, then maybe avoid spoilers and check it out later in the week. If you just don’t want to pay, wait a couple of weeks longer and the show will start to go up on AAA’s YouTube channel, cut up as part of its weekly TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The only thing I'm concerned about is that last paragraph (them having trouble streaming PPVs on the internet last time they tried). Still, the card is good enough to give it a try for ten bucks.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
For whatever it's worth, the free TV taping that they streamed live worked flawlessly with this new provider, but about twenty people watched that as opposed to whatever number they're going to get for this.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

this will be fun

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Since I only watch Lucha Underground, but this is Triple A, is there going to be English commentary team? Or is it all in spanish?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

Since I only watch Lucha Underground, but this is Triple A, is there going to be English commentary team? Or is it all in spanish?

Spanish only.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Interesting note regarding Cage: Konnan manages him in AAA despite managing his feud partner in LU (and having recently had the poo poo kicked out of him by Cage).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does Ricochet ever appear as Prince Puma in AAA?

Something like Rey/Myzteziz vs. Puma/Mundo would be bonkers

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's also worth noting that, instead of some crappy trophy, the winner of the tournament gets A CRAZY-rear end SWORD that he may then carry around for a year if he wants to.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The stream's live, seems to be working great so far.

It's an outdoor show in a bulllring and it's raining. Hopefully the guys will still be able to work safely and effectively.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 16, 2015

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Does Ricochet ever appear as Prince Puma in AAA?

Something like Rey/Myzteziz vs. Puma/Mundo would be bonkers
He was booked a Richochet last year but had plane troubles or something. If Rey works LU he's doing a Puma match for sure.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thauros posted:

It's an outdoor show in a bulllring and it's raining. Hopefully the guys will still be able to work safely and effectively.

This is going to rule. Yeah, streams looks fine so far.

ahha I see Pimpinella

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Thauros posted:

I just paid and it says there's no stream to access. :smith:

Oh, weird, messed around with options (you can watch in 3D!) and now it's fine.

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I just paid and it says there's no stream to access. :smith:

I couldn't get it to work in Chrome, had to switch to IE. Right now I see an audience getting rained on in a half empty arena.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rained out. Show is tomorrow in an arena. Unclear if it's streaming.

Great GDT everyone!

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

show of the year

REY!!!!!!!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

show of the year

Still better than any WWE PPV for the last year

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lol

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gently caress :smith:

I was hyped for this too and paid legitimately.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Rained out i cant believe it!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thauros posted:

gently caress :smith:

I was hyped for this too and paid legitimately.

Well, I imagine they'll have to either stream it tomorrow or give refunds.

That ring surface is soaked, last thing they need is for Rey to slip and break his knees on his triumphant return.

hahaha at least they're putting on a little show here

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tomorrow's show will still be on iPPV

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That's a relief. It's going to be a lot cooler than Raw anyway.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

what a choice between this or raw!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Look at that ring, it's a giant puddle and it's still coming down, I'm glad they aren't working in that.

it would be a lovely show if they tried, they'd have to slow everything way down

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Well, at least I'm not missing anything just because it won't work for me. 15 dollars well spent

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

def gonna watch this instead of Raw, I actually prefer that scheduling

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that this is on in a half an hour and you should be watching this instead of a bad Raw that Lesnar's not even booked for.

Stream's live, and so far things are working fine.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Joaquin Roldan announces AAA Rey de Reyes cancelled today due to lack of paperwork/permit

rofl

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Thauros posted:

Reminder that this is on in a half an hour and you should be watching this instead of a bad Raw that Lesnar's not even booked for.

Stream's live, and so far things are working fine.

quote:

>Joaquin Roldan announces AAA Rey de Reyes cancelled today due to lack of paperwork/permit. @luchablog

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
only in mexico

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah I just saw that on twitter. this loving blows.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Spermgod posted:

only in mexico

did they not bribe the right people or did no one show up

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

:laffo: thank god i waited to buy that stream

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
rescheduled on Wednesday, apparently

e: and Alberto vs. Brian Cage is cancelled too!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh for fucks sake. Now I have to watch RAW. LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME AAA

Where's Dario when we need him. Just fly this whole PPV to the Temple in LA.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Bard Maddox posted:

rescheduled on Wednesday, apparently

gently caress man, im willing to skip raw but LU + NXT? bullshit

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lmao

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
mexico the only country where wrestling is still regulated by athletic commissions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Spermgod posted:

mexico the only country where wrestling is still regulated by athletic commissions

having watched NSAC proceedings against MMA dudes, this actually makes a lot of sense

• Locked thread