Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Orv posted:

Now that you're only vulnerable to poison/Hunter's Bolts when actively in werewolf form, but you get the +15% stam bonus at all times, werewolf is The poo poo for PvP currently.

I think the funniest thing about werewolves at the moment is that Bosmer are a natural fit for them. You get extra stamina, extra sneak, innate poison resistance, tons of Bosmer bros that will help you murder people with stealth shots from bows in PVP, and the joy of knowing that your character is not only a religious cannibal but can also become a shape changing abomination of a cannibal at the drop of a hat as well. It's an all you can eat two for one deal. :getin:

Also for anyone trying the game out, keep in mind that the suggested min-max meta for each class in the OP is pretty much bullshit in terms of actual gameplay. It's just what the pubbie horde thinks.

The meta for best in class/race at a role constantly changes every few months with all the patches they put out revamping the game. At the moment the way the game is set up in terms of stamina and magicka assignment to skills also means you can run just about anything and be at least somewhat competent so long as you know what you're doing.

TL;DR: Play what you think will be fun.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

For those starting out remember to unlock your skills even if you dont plan on using one in particular. If I remember right you gain experience on all the abilities on a tree as long as you have one of them in your loadout.

Also if you join a guild I think you can pick up some basic weapons inside their buildings without having to worry about being accused of stealing. So spend some time in the first town outside the starter zones gearing up before you head off to them. That'll let you get some XP in your weapon of choice earlier than you might otherwise have started.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

vug posted:

well, Templars have got good close range magic dps, dragonknights have got good tanking but their class fire spells are more of the slow steady type so if you want to pump out damage you've got to use weapons, and as for nightblade, you just stab things. like stab the poo poo out of things, you've got like 3 different stab moves

A 2H heavy templar that mixes in some light clothing is pretty :black101:. You can pick up a hood and gloves and look like something from the cover of a metal album while rocking faces and being pretty much unstoppable in solo PVE content.

You can get self heals from cleaving the poo poo out of everything in front of you with the cleave morph, AOE dots by setting people on fire near any target of your choice, and constantly be making GBS threads solar flames everywhere if you pick up the PBAOE morph of that one skill that lets you target those flames. And that's before you start picking up stuff like uppercut or a self heal. The former of which will let you literally hit stuff so hard with a greatsword or hammer that it goes flying into the air.

Last time I played that character I created a duo (Two man groups are very good for grinding mobs if you just want to say gently caress the local quests for awhile.) and I was just mulching through dozens of mobs at once while the other guy was going down just fighting three or four at a time. Given that the revamp made it possible to spam skills a lot easier and made combat a lot faster I shudder to think how broken that build is going to be now.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 16, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So just a heads up but they put the ability to make any race into any alliance up on the guild store. In fact all of the bonus stuff from release is there.

Suddenly a conglomerated goon guild doesn't seem that hard to do.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Nordick posted:

My main gripe is that the writing in the main story (and the Fighter's guild questline) suffers from a really bad case of Diablo III-itis.

"FOOLS! you can never defeat me! Mwuahahahahaa I am evil!"
"NO! We will defeat you because honour and loyalty and googblahurf blurf dorf"

Gives me a loving migraine it does. At least Abnur Tharn has some funny lines.

The fighters guild quest line has some bad actors early on. Same goes for some of the early to middle quests that aren't the main quest. The answer to this is to play the mage questline and hang out with Sheogorath. He just trolls the hell out of every serious character in the game he encounters.

Edit: Fun fact, but it actually used to be worse. It was posted in the last topic but the early game had a bad case of "intern-itis" at release due to the the pre-release developers being incredibly lazy and just picking up random people to voice characters. Once the usual post release changing of the guard happened the developer team started fixing that stuff. Someone should find and post that youtube video of the talking Grahtwood tree to show what I mean.

And I don't mean the video where the trees and some NPC's in the Grahtwood would randomly scream German at you. That was a whole other load of trippy poo poo. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 17, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Danith posted:

Is there one starting area that is better than the others? I was playing a high elf and it just seemed kinda bland.

Also, what is with the helmets for Argonians? Looking at the Veteran Gear thing on the character creator they look like oversized stupid crowns. Do they not get something that covers their face?

The high elf areas are bland and boring. That will change when you get past Auridon. Then you get to visit the Grahtwood. Which is a sneaker's paradise, has a nice aesthetic, and is full of weird stuff like talking sentient trees and religious drug trips you can go on by licking toads.

But yeah, the Altmer zone is bland as hell and has some equally bland politics as its questing backdrop. Which fits the Altmer perfectly but isn't really that interesting without a unique visual aesthetic to go with it. Ebonheart Pact wins out early on in terms of interesting zones, with the Dominion a close second, and the Daggerfall Covenant falling way behind. The Covenant just has generic fantasy realms as their first two or three zones.

Also, for those wondering, you can remove the fog in the game. There's a tool that lets you do that. I believe the support staff has said it's legal too. It reveals some odd errors like distant islands having no textures, but it also makes the game look really nice in some zones. The first Ebonheart zone looks :black101: as gently caress when you can see that erupting volcano from any point in the area.

It also explains why they're still working on fixing the fog/range of view issue that the pre-release developer team created. It turns out the original world designers were lazy as gently caress and used the fog not as a way to gate FPS but to cover up a ton of lazy design choices and shortcuts in the world design. The first Ebonheart Pact zone for instance doesn't have the water extending into the distance. Instead it just cuts off, revealing a flat plane of water that disappears just outside view range. This is despite being able to see distant islands and the mainland from the coastlines of other zones.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 17, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Fried Sushi posted:

They changed some of the class skills in the latest patch to use stamina instead of magicka, so its more feasible to go a full stamina build now if you want. The Class racials aren't a huge deal but the extra crit from khajit is nice, High Elf not the best choice if you want to go heavy stamina but its not going to cripple you or anything, they are just more suited to magic based builds.

For the record, the revamp seems to have changed it so that "physical" abilities (Things that logically would be physical in nature like firing a special ability for a bow and arrow or a sword skill.) use stamina. Whereas stuff that is clearly magical uses magicka. The changes include class abilities in it as well. There's also a bunch of morphs for skills that switch them to their opposite type. It's a pretty sweet change, though figuring out which skills have morphs to switch from stamina to magicka or vice versa requires either a guide or perusing the patch notes.

Either way, it's a way better system than what was available before, and really should be detailed a bit in the OP if it isn't. The uselessness of the old system when it came to stamina builds was what chased a bunch of goons off of the game.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 18, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Streyr posted:

So now that we have the justice system in place and it seems like motifs don't come from bank drawer farming what is the best way to get all the motifs? I'm rolling a new character with some friends for B2P release but just hate not having all the crafting styles for the other races unlocked.

Motifs can still come from bank drawer farming. The catch is that they're a lot rarer now. Otherwise you just need to get lucky with looting them from dungeons or thievery in towns.

Hope you have some stocked up. Some of the motifs are slowly climbing in price compared to the dirt cheap costs they were before.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bow NB is hilarious in PVP.

I'm that motherfucker that hits you and your best friends with a forty to eighty percent movement speed debuff when you're trying to flee into the castle as a huge zerg approaches. :unsmigghh:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

What abilities do you use? I'm a Bosmer NB and I was thinking of like:

Lethal Arrow
Piercing Mark
Crippling Grasp
Anti. Cav Caltrops
Scorched Earth (for lack of a better idea)

No idea on ult.

Does Piercing Mark break you out of sneak when you use it?

Magnum Shot
Cripple
Arrow Spray
That one skill that leeches HP off of people at an increased rate with a morph.
A utility skill like that invisibility skill or a range closer like teleport strike to keep applying debuffs depending on the situation

Are what I tend to run with. Arrow spray applies an AOE 40 percent movement debuff at close range while cripple is hysterical for kiting and making people die panicked deaths. It debuffs their speed by 40 percent while applying a DOT. Which means it's not possible to heal up at an out of combat rate. Plus, it boosts your movement speed by 40 percent as well. The latter of which lets you zip around the battlefield nailing melee characters in the face or rear end with arrows as they frantically try to get in striking distance of you or escape.

I tend to hover at the edge of the zergs looking for targets to pick off or gently caress with. So many people play PVP in this game to be an awesome tanking murder machine that just can't be stopped in "honorable" single combat. So imagine their reaction when they see a huge zerg coming their way and turn to retreat. Only for some rear end in a top hat to leap out of stealth and apply a bunch of debuffs on them before disappearing as a bloodthirsty horde of players barrels around the corner. :v:

I switch to something more serious for real fights. But holy poo poo have I gotten some angry reactions from that trick.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Morph Arrow Spray into Bombard. It roots them AND then applies the snare.

This is amazing. I'm going to need to spend a point on the morph now. :allears:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

edit: another thing that bugged me is vampires and werewolves aren't available until you're about level 40, which is nearly at the level cap. I'm worried when/if they ever add the Dark Brotherhood it'll be something similar, designed for end game.

This is completely wrong, just so you know. Werewolves and vampires are available as early as level 15. The only reason you'd need to wait until 40 is if you don't want to get a player to infect you. Which is the stupid way to do it since the NPC method only exists due to enforcing scarcity and ensuring that the game wasn't a vampire/werewolf fantasy land a week after launch. You can buy bites or even get them for free by asking in most populated cities.

Also they've been good about adding in gameplay features and not having it be end game only so far. Getting paranoid about that is a bit odd. Just look at the thievery system.

Edit: Also, the story does change up slightly depending on the faction. It's not a huge change, but it's there. Even so, given the scope of the plot itself it's not like every side could be doing their own independent story. At the end of the day Blue Diablo is the prime big bad of the main quest.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 22, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

:sigh: how is cyrodil pvp ?

It's interesting. Just don't go into the VR capable campaigns when you're not at VR yet. You'll get curb stomped by people in end game gear if you do. There's a special 5 day pre-VR only campaign that is much more balanced for people who haven't hit veteran yet.

Cyrodiil has more in common with Skyrim if you want huge open zones with a variety of things to do. It's a huge zone with dungeons, capturable forts and outposts, repeatable quests, and little towns. Along with the usual stuff ESO has, like a poo poo ton of skyshards. Really, if nothing else people should do it for the insane number of skill points you can get.

It's also really profitable if you put some time into it. Contributing enough to get a reward rank means getting a sum of gold when the war is over. You also get regular item drops, and it's actually possible to find scaled purple gear from the mobs in the zone as early as level ten.

They're also increasing the gains from mobs even further soon. So that's something to keep in mind as well. At the moment both you and them are scaled level-wise to VR5. Apparently they're doubling that or something.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

My favorite choice so far is: Do I make a guy who exchanged his servitude for power go back to his ugly harpy crow thing 'wife', do I kill her because apparently she manipulated him into being magically bound to her for eternity, or do I kill them both because gently caress it you're both poo poo.

I made him go back to his ugly crow wife and they started bickering like a married couple. And she was all like 'ohhh your son can come live with us in the tower!'

Talk to the father and then the son after the quest. They really are a bickering couple. It's hilarious. Even the son can't help but roll his eyes and wonder how his father is going to bullshit his way out of convincing him he hosed up this time.

Some of the random dialogue is pretty amazing. You wouldn't see stuff like that in Skyrim. Shame there's no real indication that it exists without exploring though.

Edit: Also that little miniature zone is a great place to get tier 1 leather. The wolves can be slaughtered en-mass with a half decent build.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 22, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Speaking of weird set bonuses the Night's Silence set is great for stealth focused NB's wanting to speed run sky shards and other similar things. I just nailed almost every shard in west Cyrodiil in forty-five minutes by abusing it's 5 piece bonus. Which removes the movement speed penalty you have while stealthed.

All I had to do was drink a magicka regen food item and I could spam the NB invisibility skill when needed to skip all the mobs and assassinate any bosses in the delve. It was hilarious. Doubly so when I realized you don't need to keep the set equipped to keep the movement speed bonus while stealthed. Even better is that you can get a full set bonus as early as the first zone due to the low research requirements to make it. Which makes a NB alt a hell of a lot easier to get started on. :getin:

Also, what's the deal with the Imperial City? Is the entirety of the open world content supposed to be group content? That seems a bit counter-intuitive for what was supposed to be their first big DLC pack. Though I guess if it is like that Orsinium makes up for it. It's got that open world feel Skyrim has.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 19, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Trogdos! posted:

How's this game for occasional solo PvE-ing? I've been eyeing ESO and kinda want an Elder Scrolls 5.5 game since I'm pretty much done with Skyrim. Are quests interesting or just bear-rear end hauling? I'm not interested in raiding or PvP or anything requiring commitment.

The environments look very pretty, I like that.

It's pretty awesome. Orsinium in particular is basically Skyrim lite. Only instead of a free roam environment with gruff rear end in a top hat Nords you have gruff rear end in a top hat Orcs.

The game's surprisingly competently written if you're a spergy lore nerd and bother to talk to minor NPC's. The main NPC's in quests are usually vanilla as hell. All the neat stuff is hidden behind conversations you'll miss if you just blow through towns and the world without exploring it. At one point I had a Bosmer cooking vendor crack a joke about the race's cannibalism habit for instance. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

For someone who plays the gently caress out of this game you sure don't seem to like it at all.

The idea that he's murdering Orsinium world bosses solo is also kind of loving absurd.

They're bosses that typically take 10-30 people to take down. It's why zone chat is filled with people asking for invites. And usually there's a poo poo ton of casualties along the way due to all the AOE attacks they throw around. If he's somehow able to actually take them down solo then it's no wonder he finds the zone and the rest of the game to be boring. He's beaten the game so badly he's broken it over his knee.

You'd have to be playing the game a long time to even approach that point. Never mind the sheer amount of sperging about min maxing you'd have to do.

Maybe he should treat the game less like a professional job?

Third World Reggin posted:

So my understanding is that if I don't have the DLC and I go to the pvp zone I can't follow people into the special imperial city pvp area, is that true?

Are there less people in RvR now that this DLC is out?

Also did they seriously try to give away a million dollars then lay off a bunch of their staff
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/21/bethesda-confirms-job-losses-at-elder-scrolls-online-developer

Apparently those are customer support personnel. So it isn't going to actually affect development unless they somehow had the call center and tech support staff working on the game. Still kind of a crappy thing to do. Though that's the game development industry I guess.

The Imperial City DLC is weird. Especially for being their first DLC expansion. Thing is, it's the sort of thing goons would be good at due to being coordinated in guilds so often. But your average pubbie is going to be poo poo at it. Namely because the zone itself is heavily centered around small group based PVP. This is encouraged by having all of the mobs be balls hard and typically require more than one player to take out.

Unfortunately this means that it's nowhere near as populated as Cyrodiil is. Especially if you choose a low population campaign. This isn't that big of a deal though. You really don't want a gank squad wiping out 80 percent of your work when you're trying to get the unique styles and sets it offers. Some of them are swanky as hell.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

tgidieday posted:

It's not that absurd, just need to take the codependent bits out of your build and not stand in red stuff. If you can run vet dungeons comfortably, you can solo an Orsinium world boss.

e: To add, I like Wrothgar. It has actual things to do, which is refreshing after 12 months of nothing but XP nerfs and pointless balance tweaks for PvP.

Most players aren't going to build for that though. Hell, most players can't grasp the concept of killing the healing mobs in the Imperial City PVE dungeons. Otherwise there wouldn't be one person repeatedly screaming out some variant of the words "KILL THE loving HEALERS YOU DUMB FUCKS" in every other group I join that does those places.

Also Wrothgar is awesome. I just discovered that you can get random encounters while I was traveling to another delve today. I had some Orc mercenary come out of nowhere and start screaming insults and poo poo talking me before demanding a duel. Only when I beat him down the fight automatically stopped when he had a sliver of health left as he demanded I finish it.

I did. After my vampire fed on him. :unsmigghh:

Edit: I just had another random encounter where I met some Orc named Batasha that likes to get wasted in the wilderness. I paid her 69 coins and she let me get drunk off of her stuff, which apparently is so potent I now regain stamina faster. After we finished drinking together I stole her pack and stock of drinks before running away.

Then I tried to rob a bath house only to get caught and pummeled to death by a bunch of enraged naked orcs and one obese Breton.

What i'm saying is that there needs to be more DLC like this.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

radintorov posted:

Orsinium is ok, Thieves' Guild is good and Dark Brotherhood I have to finish so I can't say yet.

DB's storyline is interesting. It presents a basic narrative of the Dark Brotherhood being it's usual generically assholish/evil self but a lot of the really interesting stuff that changes the story is hidden in books. It's basically an example on why the Dark Brotherhood is loving awful and destroys lives. Not just the ones that get murdered by the so called "hunters" but also the hunters themselves.

Lyra really wasn't cut out for the life of a ruthless murderer. Her last entry is just condensed depression and frustration at how things turned out and how she's been jerked around by a bunch of overly ambitious sociopaths using religion to get her to kill for them her entire life. Worse still, rather than getting some sort of closure like in most stories she gets a really nasty death/gets a fate worse than death before she can sort herself out.

The whole thing comes off more as depressing as hell than "Oh yeah, I killed the bad guy!". Certainly can't say it's a bad story though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Orv posted:

It is regrettable that I've done all this 'work' on this sorc and every time i go grind some other class does something cool while I'm watching. Magicka templar seemed like the most interesting though.

Sorc has Overload though. Or at least, Magicka Sorc does. Ditto with that "turn you into lightning" skill that makes a crash of thunder in the background.

There's something intensely satisfying about just rolling into a group of enemies, slinging (nearly instakill) lightning bolts everywhere, all while your every fifth footstep causes a crash of thunder like you're some sort of fantasy storm god.

• Locked thread