Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
proto electrical stuff with leyden jars and poo poo is ok i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
oh telegraph is fine too but absolutely NO active circuitry

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
CANON :argh:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the transatlantic telegraph cable was probably really exciting

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i dont know what a diode is, but, well, it seems like a combo of di and node. a node is thing u ca access. and a di can go 2 ways. so like a 2 way access node? ^^

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

di(two) + electrode

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Tvs diodes are cool too, but I guess they're just big zeners

Honorary shoutout to gas discharge tubes

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

1N4148

cheap, fast, and a high enough current and reverse voltage rating for low power applications where you just need a diode

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

di(two) + electrode

thnx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy a good diode.

semi conductor physics is interesting. sage [where is that mother fucker] linked to a good series of posts on elelectroincs it was good

love electronics

love the thing that is happening in mosfets

bi junc trannies are not that cool though

except the germanium ones they used to make the original fuzz face distortion boxes

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
1N4004 or 1N4007

or one of these huge 1/4"-1/2" diameter diodes I got a while back.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
the thing that fucks me up about diodes is that the symbol for them is loving backwards because of conventional current.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

actually, it is almost certainly much better precisely because it is not

lol if you don't use bespoke hand crafted diodes

(my semiconductor physics prof actually did this in grad school)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

conventional flow is correct.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

I enjoy a good diode.

semi conductor physics is interesting. sage [where is that mother fucker] linked to a good series of posts on elelectroincs it was good

love electronics

love the thing that is happening in mosfets

bi junc trannies are not that cool though

except the germanium ones they used to make the original fuzz face distortion boxes

bjts are cool shut your mouth

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sizone posted:

the thing that fucks me up about diodes is that the symbol for them is loving backwards because of conventional current.

actually it isn't

who flipping cares where the electrons really really go, not me, so therefore it's fine.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

bjts are cool shut your mouth

they are the least cool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

electrons flow opposite the flow of current, because they're negative

white guy muhammed
Mar 14, 2015

by Ralp
Thread got bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now that you goit here, yeah

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
mentally separating conventional current and electron current is the easiest part of understanding semiconductor device physics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apart from the use of the word conventional. its one of those words that over time.. well, why wouldnt someone think conventional in this context meant the true direction of electron flow?

a better word would be, old or wrong current

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dislike the use of the terms typical and atypical antipsychotics. poor word choice. also regarding the conventional wisdom regarding diets, which referes to low-fat. sooner or later

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
conventional
kənˈvɛnʃ(ə)n(ə)l/Submit
adjective
based on or in accordance with what is generally done or believed

if everyone knows electron flow is backward from "conventional" current, then shouldnt that mean conventional current is the correct one?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

conventional flow is the flow that is used, by convention, since before the discovery of electrons

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

i.e. we already had a burgeoning electronics industry before the electron discovered, and it was surprising enough to find that it was negative. the convention was already ingrained at that point, and conventional flow is a perfectly fine model outside of special cases like vacuum tubes and semiconductors

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i get that

its just that conventional, as a word, referring to the old understanding seems short sighted

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
goons posting about semantics. awesome

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
your braking my brian with thee's symantics

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
itt your granddad's pointless nerd fights

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Gazpacho posted:

itt your granddad's pointless nerd fights

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I am second from left

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

i get that

its just that conventional, as a word, referring to the old understanding seems short sighted

no thats pretty much what the word means. conventional methods are the poo poo that people have been doing forever. it may not be right, but its what folks do

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Silver Alicorn posted:

i.e. we already had a burgeoning electronics industry before the electron discovered, and it was surprising enough to find that it was negative. the convention was already ingrained at that point, and conventional flow is a perfectly fine model outside of special cases like vacuum tubes and semiconductors
it's fine in those cases too

e: god forbid you should ever have to work with active-low logic

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 18, 2015

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
only time I've had to worry about electron flow vs conventional is when I was learning about pull up and pull down resistors.

why does a pull down go between ground and pin instead of positive and pin? :2bong: because the electrons, and thus the electricity, is coming from ground :2bong: or something idk :iiam:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

see I just figured pullup/pulldown referred to logic levels, and keeping an input from just wandering arond picking up 0.000000000000001mv from someone walking by, and so the names are just fine?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
well yeah, a pull down resistor pulls it down to logic level zero, but if the resistor is restricting the flow of electricity to keep it at zero, the conventional flow would put it between positive and the pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Please ignore the loving electrons and which way they're going, it makes no difference and your poo poo will work the same without confusing yourself

this thread is gettin real wrong real fast

• Locked thread