Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Since I'm not buying a PS4 in the conceivable future, I'm pretty excited to experience Bloodborne through you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I too, would love a game where a bunch of dapper steampunk neckbeards are the bad guys, and the rag wearing, filth covered proletariat are protagonists in the fight to overthrow the oppressive regime.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
There are only two days left on those BFSC T-shirts and I can't decide!

Ideologically I'm a Traps/Snakes guy, but I kind of like the Turtles/Pillars design better.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The Navajo people chose to completely discontinue use of the symbol when they learned about the Nazi use of it.

East Asian societies are more detached from the Nazi use of the swastika, but there's no valid excuse for any western developer using it for any reason outside of actual Nazis.

Tangentially related by way of Buddhism: checking my deaths after completing my first Dark Souls 2 run, the pillar read 108.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

pseudorandom name posted:

In the glory days of GameFAQs that your pining for, would there be a complete in-depth guide to a game like Axiom Verge six days after its release?

There would be thirty different faqs consisting of the controls, walkthrough of the first 10 minutes, and 2 pages worth of unrelated notes and special thanks. RIP the cutthroat days of people scrambling to be THE faq by being out there immediately, regardless of content.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Song For The Deaf posted:

The first episode of the Bloodborne season of Bonfireside Chat just dropped. We cover the Intro and the Hunter's Dream, along with a long list of the things that make Bloodborne different than its predecessors.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/63

I've been secretly hoping this entire time that this was actually a successor to Nightmare Creatures and you have failed to to dissuade me.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I would listen to a daily bombcast even if it was just three hours of Jeff rambling and fake sounding Dan Ryckert stories. You guys are crazy for talking bad about that thing.

Vinnie and Alex are both great and I'm excited to be hearing them again.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tir McDohl posted:

If anyone has found a way to give Alex charisma it's Vinny.
I'd take Alex over Brad any day.

Alex makes a good straight man. Brad is boring in any role.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 31, 2015

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

I was with you until this post

no, man, no
Woah woah woah woah.

I had some kind of aneurism while writing that post. I meant Brad, not Drew. I don't know what happened there.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Since hearing all that talk about the Fist of the North Star episode, I went back and listened to it. In response I want to defend the anime.

Fist of the North Star is an anime about love, just as much as it is about making people's heads explodes. The main theme of the show, Ai Wo Torimodose, literally means "Take Back the Love." Its lyrics are about Kenshiro's quest across the wasteland to reunite with his love, Yuria. The entire show revolves around that relationship, as well as the familial love between various sets of characters. For a show about musclebound tough guys, there is an incredible amount of crying. The central theme is that surviving sorrow makes you stronger. One of the most powerful moments in the show involves the antagonist sobbing as he brutally fights his brother while pouring out his emotions and remembering their childhood.

In addition to the emotional depth, there's also a surprising amount of production that went into the show. The overall quality is good by the standards of the day, but it's also notable for some unique visual effects used in place of the gore from the manga that couldn't be shown for TV. This was usually done by filming an animation cell in real time as they did things such as: smear paint on it, rip or crinkle it, or film it through water.

I will say the anime does spend its first third spinning its tires with every episode being "Kenshiro shows up, gang is menacing village, Kenshiro murders them in 5 seconds of action." This isn't the archetype for every episode in the series and was done for two reasons. First is to build up how unstoppably powerful Kenshiro is to give the Real Bad Guys more credibility when he can't immediately steamroll them. Second, on a practical level it gave the manga a little more lead time since the anime was licensed just a year after the series began. I'll also note that while the show does have emotional depth, it's still a product marketed to kids and as such things are generally done with easy to understand broad strokes.

I don't know think any of that warrants you actually watching or reading the series, but I wanted to demonstrate the comparison to GI Joe was not a fair one. Fist of the North Star was a property made with a decent amount of care, ambition, and depth.

On the other hand, I think you should wade into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure but I will warn you there's also a slow start there. Due to the popularity of Fist of the North Star, Jojo's was originally concieved as "victorian FotN with vampires." The first part does have its own charm with the bizarre homoerotic hatefuck/love subtext going on, but is still about muscledudes punching each other. By part 2, it's off to the races with its own weirdness and just keeps going from there.

Finally, in apology for the anime effort post, here's the best Fist of the North Star video game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QEwRWScPmw

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I think it also contains the most disturbing Duckfeed line to date in "It's like the Sloth scene from Seven, except Genome Soldiers instead of air fresheners." I cringed.

We're neck deep in the Summer of Cum and that's the most disturbing line to you?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Shots fired in the latest VGHD!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Woffle posted:

The Fallout Debate: 2016. Given that Zack has a powerful 2nd in Riff, I'll need to find a sidekick.

Just get Josh Sawyer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

It was weird that Danielle talked about polygon top 10 on the Idle weekend and then she's apparently on a new job for Zam? or something.
She's their new reviews editor, which shocked me because I didn't know Zam did content other than game wikis.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Greg Miller creepin in the back

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
When Soul Reaver was picked I was disappointed. Not because I played the game, but because I thought the other two options would make for more compelling episodes. Instead I was delightfully surprised by an Abject Suffering crossover. Sorry you guys had to punish yourselves to produce it but I really enjoyed the episode.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I want so bad for Axe of the Blood God to be good, but between Kat being a lackluster host & bad opinion machine, and the awful production values I just can't enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

zapjackson posted:

Man, Idle Thumbs has been so, so good lately. I keep having that thing happen where I get weird looks in public because of the big dopey grin on my face while I'm listening.

Bee Camel

• Locked thread