Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I feel like I post "the latest duckfeed podcast intro is the most amazing thing" more than anything else in these threads but hooooly lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just going to wait for Kay to start her inevitable thorough playthrough of it and have BFSC be a companion piece to that instead of an actual playthrough. It'll be sad missing out on actually playing a Souls game, but I'll live.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Episode 100 is actually going to be a rerun of episode 1, because podcasts are like the cycle of Samsara.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary, that is, uh. That is not how you pronounce "indefatigable". :stare:

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 4, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
TotalBiscuit is an idiot and his mouth spews filth and grime but let's maybe leave his life-threatening illness out of it??

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary, if you want to know more about your son Pork the Zork-like, it's called "Pork 1: The Great Underground Sewer System". It's... not very good.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary, not only is Review coming back, they've already started shooting season 2. I've got high hopes!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This Magic Circle thing they talked about on Idle Thumbs is making me hard as diamonds. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I definitely give this episode of Abject Suffering 5/5 ropes.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I liked the Twin Humanities guys so much I think I'm going to start listening to their podcast!

I feel like they would work better with you guys on a more jokey show like Abject Suffering than on BFSC, though. You should totally invite them to Cumchat With Gary & Kole and ask them their opinions on James Pond or something.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This isn't quite a gaming podcast but I don't know where else to talk about duckfeed so I'm just going to mention that I'm catching up on Teenage Dirtbags and the episode about My Own Worst Enemy really took the segment intros to the next level.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

It's true. I couldn't tell you a single other thing on the soundtrack beyond that opening sting. I don't even know what any actual lyrics from that very song are.

My game was Crazy Taxi 2 so this is my Only Song From Crazy Taxi.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I suggested a bunch of stuff for Abject Suffering recently and for some reason I kept mixing up the field for my name and the one for the game title. One or two might have slipped through, so if there's suddenly a bunch of requests to play a nonexistent game called ARCHIVE LOVER, my b.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
While Drakkhen is still fresh in everyone's minds, I'd like to make sure you all see whatever the hell this is. The SNES version is apparently slightly different sounding.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not sure if I wanted 999 to win because that was the one game in the poll I had any experience with or if I wanted it not to so I would be forced to check out a new game. Should be cool to hear you guys talk about it though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personally I'd like to extend a "please stop" to anyone who has spoiler-free discussions of games on their podcasts. It's awful to listen to, just introduce the game and say whatever you can say without spoilers and then just edit in "spoilers end at 33:20". If you're trying not to spoil eachother then I guess that's tougher but as a selfish consumer that doesn't concern me as much.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Between Kole on The Level and Zack on VGHD I have a weird desire to defend the Super Mario World romhacking community (which is basically the only romhacking community) as not being exclusively sadistic fuckers making increasingly impossible levels. There's a lot of hacks that are just More Super Mario World. Some of them more fun or more impressively different from the original than others, but it's not all pixel perfect jumps all the way down.

I think it might be cool to do one of the more well-regarded ones as a VGHD assignment. Super Demo World is the canonical one I think, but it's also nearly old enough to drive so that might not prove much about the community. Someone else might have a more recent example.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Beard Yawn posted:

Wasn't there one called Super Mario X that was pretty well-regarded?
Assuming we're talking about the same thing, that isn't a romhack. It's just a copyright infringing indie platformer with a strong level editor.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I remember a few Japanese hacks that created some clever puzzle-y levels which weren't hard so much as they made you ponder. I dug it.
This reminded me of a hack called Mario's Keytastrophe which has little self contained puzzle levels based on secret exit keys, as well as a musical theme and a bunch of weird hacked-in features. It's unfinished but still a pretty good candidate for the VGHD romhack redemption assignment I'm pretending is going to happen.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
XRD top 4 was hype as hell but considering it was 2 millias, a zato and a faust I expect it was also incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't play GG

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Paper Mario does the small numbers thing really well but it's such a black hole of personality compared to Superstar Saga. I wouldn't recommend anyone play the former over the latter unless they were really interested in well-executed small numbers RPGs.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The thing that makes Banjo-Kazooie a bad game in my mind (and Tooie an egregiously bad one) is that it has way too many different actions your dumbass bear and bird can take. Jump, double jump, super jump, extra-super jump, fly, peck, swim, swim faster, swim yet faster, walk around differently, shoot egg, shoot other four kinds of egg, invincibility, several different temporary powerups, transform at the shaman, split up and then spin around or hide in your sack or a aaaa aaa aaaaaa aaaaa. I didn't even look up a list so who knows how many I forgot about.

Plus Tooie had a Dark Soulsian interconnected world and used it exclusively to heap as much busywork on you as possible. There's still a lot of fun to be had with them but compared to the simple elegance of my collectathon of choice, the original Spyro the Dragon, there is way too much poo poo you can do. Spyro can jump, glide, charge and shoot fire and that's all he can ever do, with a few localized exceptions like supercharge and flight levels. All of them have obvious and occasionally more subtle uses and it is fun to put them to those uses. I won't put up much of a fight if anyone points out that Spyro is in fact for babies, but it feels so much better than your Banjos-Kazooies ever do.

I'd suggest Spyro for WOFF as a redemption of the collectathon but I don't think it's actually good enough to step up to that particular plate. Maybe a decade from now you'll get around to it and my skeleton will crack a bony smile.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
got 14000 points in spidermentwo city raid

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I honestly think Illbleed could support a WOFF episode

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Someone did do the action 52 game jam. You even almost found it during the show with that suggested google search for Non Human Action 52 Owns.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I was taught two uses for the digital root in school. One is as a quick way to check divisibility by 3 and 9. A number with a digital root that is divisible by 3 is itself divisible by 3, same applies for 9. The other is that the digital root of a perfect square is 1, 4, 7 or 9, so you can prove that an arbitrarily large integer is not another integer squared if you're lucky enough for its digital root to not be one of those.

I hope you're loving this, Kole.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
As far as podcast jingles go, the WOFF theme is my favorite. It's just so gosh darn pleasant. That's one of Gary's, right?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Gary mentioned at one point that he wanted to make the Abject Suffering music appropriately bad without making it actually unpleasant to listen to, so I think he pretty much hit the mark there.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

There's a kernel of racism in a lot of this stuff I'm sure but you've watched a heckin lot of anime so I'm not entirely clear on what point you're trying to make here. Do you disagree with the idea that there's a few very specific kinds of bad writing going around in Japanese media (that ends up as even more of a broken record in English when lovely localizers get their hands on it) or is this just a reaction to the uncomfortable "oh Japan!" way people tend to react to that bad writing?

I'm with you on that second one, just wanted to make sure that's what you mean.

Regarding VLR, I read Let's Plays of both games since I don't own any handhelds, so the QOL improvements didn't affect me, and I didn't think there was anything special about the translation. The game completely lost me when it decided to have a character change how they vote based on how you vote despite not even being a morphogenetic wizard which left such a bad taste in my mouth that I can't call it an improvement over 999. Makes me feel like a huge nerd idiot to have that one detail sour me on the whole story, but oh well.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 8, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Also Phi sucks and I'll take an anime girlfriend over a cryptic rear end in a top hat any day.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

This thread got annoying while I was at work. What Kole actually said and what icantfindaname came away with are worlds apart. This is how dumb rumors get started.

I think the issue is that icantfindaname picked a weird hill to die on, since you guys are basically the most reasonable people on the internet and there are way worse offenders in this regard. Might be that they think they'll actually get through to someone they perceive as being subtly bigoted instead of someone hooting and hollering about how Japan is the worst, but I don't want to put words in their mouth.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're strapped for time you can probably just start VLR. There's an LP of 999 that you could speed read if you want to make sure you didn't miss any details, all you miss out on is solving the puzzles yourself.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Kole mentioned something about inevitably having to do let's plays even though he isn't too fond of them, because that's where internet content about videogames is going. How serious you were about that pressure notwithstanding, is there something in particular you don't like about the let's play format? Is it just the youtube superstar side of it or is it something else?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Watched an LP of Zone of the Enders to prepare for the WOFF episode and man is there not a lot to it. I'm expecting a lot of the second game to seep into the episode if there's gonna be any meat on these bones.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

HMS Boromir posted:

Watched an LP of Zone of the Enders to prepare for the WOFF episode and man is there not a lot to it. I'm expecting a lot of the second game to seep into the episode if there's gonna be any meat on these bones.

Got around to ZoE2 as well. I'm pretty sure my only takeaway from either game is that "Jehuty" is really fun to say.

That and Beyond the Bounds is a really good song, but I already knew that.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 12, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
when's abject suffering but for anime

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Chip & Ironicus did something like anime Abject Suffering a while ago, though it was talking over the episodes rather than podcasting after watching them. It was pretty successful, but I think it was just one guy with an encyclopedic knowledge of badime feeding them suggestions. I don't know if the greater corpus of bad anime has a lot more stuff like this or if it's mostly just boring or objectionable.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

SoulChicken posted:

Given Danielle's move to NYC, I don't expect her to continue to be on Idle Thumbs (they've never used Skype for guests). How will I get my analysis of iPhone anime games?????

I think Jala on The Level might be able to provide.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Referring to them as Gary/Kole just makes me think of those two headed ogres from Warcraft.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Kole, forgive my poor memory if you've mentioned it recently, but are you still playing NIER or did you bounce off it? I'd love to hear a debrief if you stick with it to the very end. Or, hell, a debrief about its failings if you don't.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

Nier is on our list.

Glad to hear it! I would've settled for a postmortem by Kole on The Level or an extrasode but if you end up doing it for one of the long form shows then so much the better.

• Locked thread