Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Song For The Deaf posted:

I just posted the Bloodborne First Impressions episode of Bonfireside Chat. This is a good one to listen to if you're curious about Bloodborne, but don't want any spoilers.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/61

Yay! Very excited about this season. I have no idea what the overarching story for this game is yet, despite playing obsessively for like a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hakkesshu posted:

It's crank-operated, though? Like I don't think there's anything using steam power in Bloodborne.

I really appreciated this. I was a bit worried (like Kole) when I saw the horrible goggle things in the character creator, but nothing I've seen in the game is like that at all. Thankfully.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Akuma posted:

Someone tell me how many times CJ affects a bad american accent for some strained joke in the latest BFSC. This may help me decide whether or not to listen to it.

I love listening to the duckfeed dudes but something about that guy just rubs me the wrong way. I had to skip past a few old episodes for that reason :( It's nothing personal, I'm sure he's great in person or whatever, but he's always a bit... cringey...

I like CJ, and I don't remember him doing an American accent at all. The whole episode was funny as hell, and you should definitely listen to it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Akuma posted:

Honestly unless it's someone super laid back like LobosJr I find myself usually wishing BFSC a was just Gary and Kole because they have a great rapport that often isn't there with the guests - for obvious reasons. But I realise I'm in the minority on this so I'm not begrudging anybody liking a thing that they like. Ima still keep kicking you monies on Patreon.

As a former guest, I take personal offense to this and will make a tumblr dedicated to taking you down.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MeruFM posted:

add Giant Beastcast to the list because holy poo poo Vinny is back but now as his own thing

Yeah I've only listened to half of episode 0 but it's way better than the normal Bombcast already. It says something about how bad Dan and Jeff have gotten that I'd rather listen to Alex Navarro of all people (or maybe it says something about how great of a host Vinny is).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This week's WOFF kept me smiling all morning. God drat do I love the soundtrack for Katamari Damacy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been listening to The Short Game since Gary was on the A Link Between Worlds episode, and enjoying it immensely. I didn't see it in the OP so I figured I'd mention it.

http://www.theshortgame.net

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey gary and Kole, I'm wondering if you guys have seen much on Death's Gambit?
http://www.deathsgambit.com/

It's heavily inspired by Dark Souls (perhaps TOO heavily inspired*) and the play looks like a mashup of Dark Souls and Symphony of the Night.

If it's released in time, it might be something to fill in any potential gap between Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

*Seriously, at times, it's practically a straight-up rip-off. Here's a summary from a PS blog:

In addition, there's "Phoenix Plumes" that you use to heal yourself...and you get X uses of them in between each save point, whereupon they refill.

Still, I'm cautiously optimistic for it.

I watched the PS stream of this and Salt & Sanctuary yesterday, and have to say they both look like they're going to scratch that Dark Souls itch. S&S looks a bit better to me, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Song For The Deaf posted:

I don't want to get credit for doing things the hard way.

The video of you editing The Level on the backer blog was pretty eye opening. I would imagine it would take me about an hour to do what you did in about 15 minutes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I remember hoarding my QfG save on floppy disks for years. I don't remember much about the games, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

HMS Boromir posted:

As far as podcast jingles go, the WOFF theme is my favorite. It's just so gosh darn pleasant. That's one of Gary's, right?

Seriously. Every time a new ep comes out I think about stripping it out just to listen to on its own when the mood strikes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zombies' Downfall posted:

That form is nascent and you can tell nobody agrees on who the masters are or even what the criteria for judging them should be yet. It's like watching 17th-century stand-up comedians or something.

What's the deal...with the food on these new fangled steam trains?!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I bought that game when the iOS thread was raving about it years ago but never got around to playing it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TetsuoTW posted:

Well that's unnecessarily harsh.

No don't you get it, he's fine if you have opinions on video games as long as they aren't crazy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
For a thread about gaming podcasts y'all get loving insufferable from time to time.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't know why Gary started referring to other people and himself as [Insert Adjective Here] boys, but I sincerely hope he never stops.

Gary has been a BoizBoi for as long as I remember.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm apparently second behind Sam "DOS Apocalypse" Bair in number of games suggested for Abject Suffering. I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed. Why am I doing this to you?

What's Abject Suffering?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah, my MGSV experience was

- pick a mission
- choose a load out
- land in the nearest LZ
- do the mission
- call the heli
- wait around while the heli blares the final countdown or some other nonsense
- exit the mission
- repeat

I guess they've locked up resources behind the online component now but I always had way more cash than I new what to do with. Sometimes developing stuff had to wait, but it was always because of fuel, not cash, and it never eve effected my load out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Dr. Stab posted:

It isn't. I'm just talking about my experience with it. Though, it does touch on how obtuse the systems surrounding the actual gameplay are.

In PW once you complete the research, you're free to play the game how you wish, while in TPP, deployment costs for top items mean you either just don't use those items or you grind picking up flowers, or you wait a few hours for your flower deployments to come back. The system doesn't really do anything except make you play the game less.

Was there ever a situation where you tried to deploy and didn't have enough resources? That never, never happened to me, and I was almost always using good gear. There are some very purposely limited items like the parasite stuff, but that was it.

Now upgrading FOBs was severely limited in terms of fuel resources, but that's the only issue I had.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hakkesshu posted:

<snip> but now I'm stuck on some of the more elaborate tetris puzzles and it's just a huge process of knowing exactly how it works, but the mental gymnastics require me to spread notes around the room just so I can find the right configuration. I tried doing it in photoshop as well and IMO that's too much work for one puzzle when there are like 700 of them.

The Tetris puzzles are my favorite in the game I think, much better than the dumb audio puzzles.

Also, I've been using this to help me not kill so many trees while playing this game. Works great. http://polarski.cz/graph_paper/

On the subject of podcasts, I tried listening to Polygon's new one, CoolGames, Inc. Despite enjoying most of Griffin's stuff I couldn't finish the episode. Anyone else listen to it?

EC fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 5, 2016

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's so weird listening to people's experience with the Witness and how they progressed. To me, each area was segmented, and taught you one core mechanic. Then it built on that to the point that you have to look at every single aspect of it to understand how to solve the later ones in that area. Sometimes it would be combined with the two super easy things it teaches you directly outside the starting area, but that's it.

There's only two areas on the island that start combining all of that stuff, and one is the end game and the other is totally optional and just unlocks more super hard puzzles to solve.

I've only looked up solutions to two puzzles, and they were both the dumb stupid awful jungle puzzles. I hated them for some reason. The Duckfeed slack had a good group of people giving out vague hints when asked, though, so I can see having a walk through on hand when you're playing the game.

The Witness is going to turn into the Destiny of podcasts/forums, isn't it? Just endless people that won't shut up about it, regardless if they live it or hate it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cat Machine posted:

I just hate the way a lot of games podcasts are dancing around The Witness for fear of spoiling. Either do some kind of spoilercast or mention the game in passing. I can't take another thirty minute segment that's just:

"Oh, did you do... the thing? In the jungle?"
"Heh, yeah... I did the thing. I solved the puzzle."
"Ah, I meant the other thing. The other puzzle."
"Oh yeah, where you have to... yeah... the cave... puzzle."
"That's the one. So clever."
"It reminds me of that... other puzzle... where you have to do the thing? You know."
"I know."

It's utterly maddening to listen to, whether you've played the game or not.

This seems like a good time to do some shameless self-promotion. I joined up as a permanent co-host on the Dark Insight podcast, and on my first episode we spend about 45 minutes talking about the Witness. I specifically tried to avoid doing the thing you're talking about, because it sort of annoys me when listening to other podcasts. The episode is here (this page also has links to other places to find it): https://soundcloud.com/dark-insight-podcast/dark-insight-ep-13-welcome-to-the-fold-mr

If any of y'all listen, I'd love some notes. My only podcast experience is from guesting on Bonfireside Chat and some other Souls-related podcasts, so talking about games in general is new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Woffle posted:

X-Men: First Cast is a great name too. That'll be the x-men movies spinoff.

I am no joke outright sad I didn't think of First Cast. :(

The X-Men thing is amazingly fun to do, please go give the boys money so I can keep doing it. I want to do it forever.

As a tease: Gary's gambit voice is loving amazing.

• Locked thread