Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Gotta stall for Dark Souls 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Sure but a core component of steampunk is arguably.... steam, more specifically a focus on tech. Bloodborne doesn't even have much mechanical stuff in it, there are no gears or gauges or anything like that, and stuff like the stake driver is very basic. It's more like Victorian gothic than anything. Unless you'd call something like Frankenstein steampunk as well.

Well, Frankenstein didn't have a cane what turns into a whip...unless I'm remembering wrong.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I went into the game trusting From wouldn't completely gently caress over arcane and bloodtinge builds, so I have been a mixed skill/arcane build from the start, mostly leveling up skill until I got it to 24 or so. Now, at level 63, I run around with a Reiterpallasch in one hand and a Flamesprayer in the other, with Beast Roar, Empty Phantasm Shell and Tiny Tonitrus backing me up. While I'd agree that build variety has lessened and that the build I just outlined may not be minmaxiest, I am having a lot of fun burning beasts alive and enchanting my weapon whilst throwing lightning at things.

Really happy that the Bloodborne season has started, and hoping I can get to NG+ to play along with each area as they come out.

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 13, 2015

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

To back up Kole and Gary about Prime...I always thought that game was not great, and when they did the episode, I went in expecting to roll my eyes a lot and left very satisfied. :)

You can score points for disliking popular games too!

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

There was a lot of defending the paid mod thing in gaming podcasts from last week in general.

I don't think a single one of them mentioned the actual problems with it besides people whining about paying.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

These are not mutually exclusive things.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Competition in the market. This is a good thing, and the Bombcast will have to respond and improve. The Beastcast is WCW circa 1996 and that means we're scheduled to have the Attitude Era of the Bombcast in approximately two years.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

If anyone has found a way to give Alex charisma it's Vinny.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah, sorry guys, it seems like I was a bit too technical and plodding with my hat chat email, I had a feeling I might've been a bit too sterile with my rundown of why the TF2 economy is declining. If I send one those to you and you don't feel it fits in the podcast or drones on too long, you don't have to read it. It sounded like Jake and Chris were hesitant to dive into it at all at the start there.

I think Chris was the only one who seemed uninterested.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Out of the options given, Ghost Trick is the only one I'd say is a huge stretch to call a VN. It has way more game-y gameplay than something like a Phoenix Wright.

Though it's also my favorite out of the list. Hrm...

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Yeah, considering this horrible thing exists, I don't really see an issue with graphic sex being on Steam. Yeesh...

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Third WOFF game in a row with a far superior sequel.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I thought the stripper club stuff in GTA 5 was when we actually crossed the line with the boobs and sex stuff in triple A video games. Having Quiet just have a sexy outfit isn't the same to me as all that poo poo that was definitely not needed to be in there at all I think and was gross.

I think there are WAYYY bigger problems with misogyny in video games than Quiet.

Yeah, the amount of hand-wringing over Quiet's sexy outfit compared to Literally Every Other Triple A Game Ever kinda blows my mind.

Note: I'm not saying you shouldn't hand-wring over things you don't like in games, but this has gotten way more attention pre-release than it really deserved.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't played MGS5 so I could well be wrong but isn't Quiet getting a lot of attention because Kojima stated there'd be some deeper meaning to her character design but it turned out to be flimsy bullhsit like everyone suspected it would be?

I don't think people were expecting "just a flimsy excuse to show her body", they were projecting way worse theories IIRC

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

People are exaggerating, it's a tutorial not a barely interactive movie, the "barely interactive" stuff is literally 5 minutes and then it's you moving around avoiding guards trying to escape the hospital as the controls pop up occasionally.

I think dumb posts here gave you the wrong impression and that's why people are freaking out about your opinions and have not connected two and two and realized they told you incorrect facts about the game

Edit: I still think it was way too long for a tutorial, but that's another issue altogether.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Honestly I regret my post. I feel like we're badgering Gary at this point and it's silly. It's just a video game, who cares, let's talk about podcasts and whatnot he'll play the game if he wants later down the road

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

It's been many months and I still don't know who Max Ides is

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Tae posted:

complaining about something that didn't happen irked me a bit.

Welcome to Idle Thumbs for the past couple of years.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Can I be the weird Dragon Quest 7 apologist who actually beat the game? I will admit it's probably too long for it's own good but I love the gameplay loop of going into the past and reviving islands by solving whatever problem led to that area's extinction.

Edit: I think I also deserve credit for acknowledging 5 is the best in the series

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Oh yeah, 8 was really good too. I fell off of 9 because it just didn't have the personality of 8.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

bobservo posted:

Can someone roast me for one of my controversial video game opinions? I know this wasn't Gary's intent but I'm jealous of all the attention he's getting :colbert:

Kinda hard to roast you for just one of your bad opinions.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

Years of listening to WOFF have made me like a lot of other game podcasts way less, because "oh I played this for 3 hours, here's my spoiler-free opinions" doesn't feel worthwhile to listen to compared to the sort of in depth discussion you get from the book club format.

On that note, any other podcasts I should be looking into for that sort of thing? Retronauts, probably?

Retronauts is not a good alternative if you're looking for podcasts with in-depth discussion in the same way WOFF does it.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

Could you clarify what you mean by that?

One of my main complaints about Retronauts (and not everyone is going to agree) is that they zoom past discussions quickly, as if they are trying to burn topics as fast as possible.

But I think its inarguable that they don't tend to discuss stories or spoilers at all.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

When Soul Reaver was picked I was disappointed. Not because I played the game, but because I thought it looked like a bad game from a distance even back when it was contemporary. I carried these dumb biases into adulthood, and it is heartening to see that you guys didn't like it. Hooray for prejudice.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Eh, the game has a lot in it, but there's a certain point where you realize just how small it is. Like I unlocked the bridge repair and bus repair, and the areas you get access to through them are a few screens in size total.

I expect the updates he's talked about will ad a ton more, but right now once you hit a certain threshold, usually around the end of year 2, the game very suddenly feels all too small.

That said, for 15 dollars it's an absolute bargain.

I'm 25 hours in and have yet to finish Fall of the first year. So reading you complain about the game feeling too small after two years sounds crazy.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

101 posted:

Both names are X-Men: First Class. No doubt about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Oh god I just remembered there are two completely awful Final Fantasy anime too

Poor Gary if they meet that goal

Edit: A third with that new FFXV one but I haven't seen that yet and can't appraise its quality

• Locked thread