Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

No-one remembers Crazy Taxi as being full of Offspring songs. Everyone just remembers Crazy Taxi as being full of YA YA YA YA YAAA

This is the most correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

The clown talk on Idle Thumbs this week was really, really weird. Like, we're at a point where it's socially unacceptable to say thar clowns are scary?

I can't speak for everyone, and certainly there are people who are genuinely afraid of clowns, but in general the whole 'clowns are scary' thing has always been a sort-of joke. Like, nobody (except very young children, perhaps) actually thinks regular, good-natured clowns are scary monsters. The whole reason creepy clowns like Pennywise are effective is exactly because everyone sees clowns as entertainers, especially of children, and people who like to make others happy. So the notion of a clown that's out to get you is inherently terrifying in a way that wouldn't be if it was, say, a plumber or something.

I don't mean to start a weird tyrade or whatever, it just seems like someone who genuinely feels slighted by the consensus that clowns are creepy is missing the point somehow.

Edit: gently caress Mimes, though.

I don't really know if I'd call a single reader email and brief discussion around it "clown talk," it's not like someone came into the podcast with an axe to grind about clowns and we all said our piece. I just read an email that had kind of a sweet message in it because I thought it was an interesting thing to point out with a personal story. I don't know why it has to be spun out into something beyond that.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

KoldPT posted:

Well, there was that guy who jumped onto Nick Breckon's back a few weeks ago.

"Clown talk" is just what I mentally call any time we do a podcast with Nick Breckon on it.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Is Idle Weekend not going to happen or did the Thumbs just stop announcing it until it actually starts?

I promise it is still coming!! A bunch of life events and logistical issues have pushed it back it longer than we were expecting. But Danielle and Rob have done a couple test episodes and they can't wait to get it going. It should be really soon!

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Jippa posted:

I really enjoyed the crate and crowbar approach of just discussing games that came out rather than bothering with rankings and all that nonsense. I also love their discussion of gta 5 and the wildly different opinions they have on it.

FWIW, that's basically just what Rob and Danielle did on Idle Weekend. (Shameless plug.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

On the thumbs forums they said they wanted to lock down a more stable lineup after having like 5 rotating hosts.

I want more Vanaman. Lazy devs hosts.

Sean was also just on the podcast less for work/life/etc reasons, and everyone was just kind of less consistently committed to showing up because when there are half a dozen people who CAN be there, any one individual person doesn't feel that personal individual responsibility to be there. So scheduling it was kind of becoming crappy for me since I had to cajole an arbitrary crew from a rotating cast each week, and it really made sense to try and say "Okay who is actually going to decide to commit to this thing every week?" Obviously Sean or others like Spaff are still around and no doubt will pop in but the musical chairs thing was becoming a real detriment to the sustainability of the show.

Chris Remo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread