Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I am so excited for the Bloodborne episodes of BFSC to start up. The game is loving incredible and 10 hours in I'm enjoying this every bit as much as I did the original Dark Souls. I actually enjoy this environment, the weapons and theme even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sorry you guys can't play right now. I do agree with you all on having the episodes ready to go as a companion pieces is definitely better though. I got into Dark Souls originally due to this thread and the podcast so season 1 was already wrapped when I started playing through. By the time I beat Dark and got into Demons that season was wrapping up as well so it worked nice that way. I enjoyed listening to the Da2 episodes but like you guys sometimes I hadn't played a zone in months so it was more hazy. I think it was more that Souls 2 didn't grab me as much as the previous games though. Da2 was good but way too messy. Bloodborne feels very tight while at the same time freaking crazy. It plays like a supercharged Demon's Souls, while using the best of Dark Souls 1 world building ideas, mixed with a splash of Castlevania flair. It's about perfect for what I want.

It will be interesting to see how the game fares from a business standpoint. The PS4 has been dying for a big exclusive so one would assume this will be the first foray into this type of game for many a gamer. I know the game is shaking out to be a critical darling and the hardcore From Software fans are lapping the poo poo up but I'm curious how the gamers at large respond. Hopefully it's a positive reception. I know I've had 3 friends interested in trying it out but are intimidated by it. On one hand I love that in 2015 a major console exclusive can have that type of mystique around it. On the other hand, yeah, I'd imagine that can't be that great for sales.

I dunno, whatever, a massive financial success would be great but I'm just happy it exists and isn't dumbed down. It's hard sure, but it's a freaking blast and the game (thus far) has moment upon moment where I can envision Miyazaki repeatedly screaming HOW DO YA LIKE ME NOW BITCH?!?! Good times.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Super Mario World retronauts was awesome. I've always tried and failed to articulate why the world in that game felt the biggest and most well put together of any Mario game but you guys pretty much nailed it.

I was sort of "meh" about Mario Maker for Wii U until yesterday's Nintendo Direct. The fact they are including Super Mario World assets means some talented / crazy people out there will craft a nearly infinite number of sweet SMW levels.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Good? you're a loving weirdo

I didn't play 6 but Resident Evil 5 was totally okay and I think it's weird that somebody could love 4 and despise 5

I didn't despise 5 but wasn't really a fan either. #5 felt like I was playing a tomb raider / uncharted game more than RE.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Hey Bob, just a heads up that the last few weeks of Retronauts have been some of my favorite episodes. Link to the Past, Simcity Music, and history of Metal Gear have been fantastic.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

MGSV really is great. After 4 left a bad taste in my mouth I stopped paying attention to the franchise and hadn't heard anything about a new MGS game (except that it existed) until about a month ago because I was that disinterested. Once the reviews started pouring in I figured it was worth trying out. It definitely is. MGS3 was the previous high point to me for a variety of reasons (jungle setting, 1960's, amazing boss fights) but on gameplay alone this has it easily whipped. I'm not one for stealth-action anymore but its pretty drat amazing here. The complete freedom the game gives you cannot be overstated. You can be a quiet ninja that is never seen, or you can be a cross between Wyatt Earp and the Terminator, riding your steed into battle guns a blazing as a murder machine. Each are equally as valid to me thus far and fun for different reasons.

Ignoring some of the weird "Kojima way up his own rear end" moments thus far, this feels like the ultimate action/military movie simulator.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Considering all this vagina-bomb talk, I'm very happy to of dismissed the series after #4 and have only come back at 5.

In some of those "story in 5 minutes" videos I've seen recently in order to catch up, I've seen the woman explode, but didn't infer from that it was in her vagina, gently caress. WTF?

I just started listening to the Idle Thumbs show about MGS and its funny you all bring up the weird hospital gown rear end shot and IV bag/piss pants gag. When I was playing it the other night I was laughing to myself thinking about how that shot was framed that way. What a weirdo.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The hype was loving crazy around MGS4 (it caused me to cave and finally get a ps3) and looking back most of my enjoyment was telling myself i should be enjoying it. I hardly remember anything about the game except for a few small tidbits and the ending. I can recall drat near everything about the first 3, even though I wasn't crazy about 2.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of past Metal Gear games, Chris said on the new IT that MGS 1 and 3 were his favorites. I keep hearing this general breakdown where people either think 1 and 3 are the better half of the series, or 2 and 4 are. Why is this? Were the even-numbered games designed similarly, and the odds ones were as well?

I have this opinion so here is why I feel that way.

#1 was revolutionary at the time. Not much more needs to be said about this one.

#2 had the infamous bait and switch where you played as Snake for a tiny portion at the beginning, and then generic anime protagonist Raiden for the majority. In addition to that, much of it felt very similar to #1 in regards to what you were doing. This is also where the plot started to get really crazy (although admittedly now it looks forward thinking in regards to the manipulation of digital stuff). Gameplay wise is was fine, if not sort of a rehash of 1.

#3 was loving awesome. The jungle setting was different and cool, the boss fights were memorable (including one of the best final boss fights ever), the story was fun. It was like a great Rambo and James Bond movie mixed up.

#4 was just wacky. The gameplay was fine I guess, but the cutscenes were insanely long and everything was just over the top, not in a good way. Even though all MGS games are linear (except for 5 really), 4 really felt limited. I dunno. I just didn't like it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is actually explained in the plot and I thought it was pretty good.

I just like the conspiracy stuff in mgs a lot though.

Oh yeah, it was explained. I just found the oil rig setting to be dull as hell.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

So is the Snake/Raiden fakeout the biggest surprise/twist/whatever you wanna call it in gaming history? I can't think of anything that comes close to that, especially given the profile of the game. It's amazing it was kept under wraps.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Woffle posted:

I'm glad there isn't the air of apologetic defending about MGS5 that there was around 4. That was what scared me off of 4.

If anything I think it's been the polar opposite this time. Many people went in with not much tolerance for bullshit, and were rewarded with some truly amazing gameplay. The cut scene length is also much more palatable (at least a few hours in) so it's more killer, less filler. I will say though, the tutorial REALLY seemed to drag on. It's been great since that first hour though.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

I dunno, that opening sequence was pretty cool with the only thing I didn't like being that Ishmael would take forever to go down staircases. Really cool sequence other wise imo

That's fair. Admittedly I did it late at night on release so I was anxious to get to the open world craziness.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

This next season of Bonfireside Chat is going to be amazing. I've been playing Dark Souls 3 on Xbone all weekend (thanks to the Japan store trick) and here are some very vague, spoiler-free thoughts on it for those wondering but who are avoiding the main threads for fear of said spoilers.

While I haven't been able to play online (the US Servers are off thus far), the 12 hours I've played have been amazing. It feels like a true sequel to Demons / Dark Souls but with the best mechanics and bits from DS2/Bloodborne refined. It's so nice to have variety and a major sense of exploration back as I found Bloodborne's streamlined world/gameplay to not be as enjoyable. It's great playing with all sorts of characters and having the game feel vastly different depending on build/weapon choice.

The best thing I can say about it (and why it should make for a great Bonfireside Chat Season) is how fantastic and interesting the areas and their relationship to each other are. It feels like you are exploring a dangerous, hosed up, and yet beautiful world instead of just a series of levels. There are so many paths to explore and it's great getting lost and running into crazy poo poo. I've also really enjoyed the NPC story beats.

Assuming online play works great it will be my favorite game in the series outside of the original Dark Souls. Considering I'm really not that far in I'm probably going to just scale back on playing and hold off until the servers go live as I want to be involved in the madness of that.

You know how DLC is typically the best part of any Souls game? This whole game (12 hours in) feels like DLC content.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I am not angry at you or anyone really, but I kind of think it's funny that:

Film Nerd Journalism: Here is our early review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, completely scrubbed of all plot details or emotional reactions that might give away plot details

Video Game Journalism: HERE'S HOW OUR TEAM BEAT THE FINAL BOSS IN DARK SOULS 3 FOUR MONTHS BEFORE IT CAME OUT WITH EXCLUSIVE VIDEO

I'm not a journalist, I'm just some guy sharing impressions. It was reasonably easy to get the game early thanks the xbox store selling NA copies if you purchased it with region set to japan.

Anyways, to go along with Funkmaster, looking back I think one of the things that both Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne missed was the whole "look at a giant world where you can visit all those places you see in the distance" thing that the original Dark Souls had. This game has that in spades.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Stardew Valley really is the greatest. I didn't even hear of the game til a week after a release and now it's almost embarrassing how much time my wife and I have put into it.

• Locked thread