Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I was playing around making the tightest circles of highway I could and made a crazy bad roundabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't leave it like that, you gotta put some traffic on it to show up how bad the AI fucks it up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alkydere posted:

I love seeing all the pictures in this thread of people reinventing the wheel when it comes to highways. Overpasses and frontage roads exist for a reason!

It's probably a bit hard to see but adjacent to each side of the highway is a matching, normal 1-way road. These two lane roads have been handling traffic just fine, especially when mixed with U-turn lanes made out of on-ramps.

There's really no big traffic issues anywhere. Some of the on-ramps and U-turns are used pretty heavily, but there's none of the usual "backed up for miles" gridlock I normally get. Outside of the occasional "every single industrial building gets a shipment at once" issue that crops up now and then.
Well, yeah, that's a pretty good layout, but it's all (mostly?) low-density and you only have 7000 people. It's later when high-density buildings get put in that things usually go to poo poo.

In particular, those two really close underpass/frontage road intersections just below and to the left of the "Coleridge district" label are going to become a mess.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

TomR posted:

I was playing around making the tightest circles of highway I could and made a crazy bad roundabout.

I suspect it would be a bit anticlimactic because the cars will never use anything but the outermost lane even if traffic is backed up for miles.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Chewbot posted:

I suspect it would be a bit anticlimactic because the cars will never use anything but the outermost lane even if traffic is backed up for miles.

if you raise the inner ring, reverse the one way traffic to run the other direction, connect it to the lower circle with onramps and have 4 roads lead out of it offset to the roads below it you will end up with a mesmerizing multi tier hypnosis roundabout.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

TomR posted:

It's evolved!

I'll try and wedge it between some busy town and a highway.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwfeL6lZrc

After I routed all of the traffic from all of the highways trough it but they just took the overpasses and magically didn't get into any accidents even though there was two highways worth of traffic going through one intersection.

TomR fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 16, 2015

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

Chewbot posted:

This Swindon Magic Roundabout knock-off says otherwise:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

sigseven posted:

Is this on ye olde workshoppe? If not, it should be.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
I feel like an elegant solution to land value would be to have lots that are being built run an imaginary line downhill. Every scenic object ( i.e. high level building, park, tree, etc.) the line passes would slightly increase land value, and every ugly object (i.e. factory, landfill, etc.) the line passes would slightly decrease the value. The line would stop when it hit a building with height larger than the initial elevation, which would model your view being blocked. If the line gets all the way to water you'd have a big boost to land value and the line would stop, modeling a waterfront view. It would also stop if it reached the bottom of the hill. If you had this running every frame it would probably destroy your FPS, so you could limit it to every time a building levels up or intermittently at random.

This wouldn't model things like having really pretty natural features far away, but it would encapsulate approximately how view affects land value. It would also create deeper gameplay, as you'd have to zone your buildings so they didn't block the view of the other buildings in order to maximize revenue. You wouldn't be able to see the effect of view on the overlay in advance if you did this, but it probably wouldn't be a big deal. The one downside is that it would only take into account things that are directly downhill of the lot, and not things off to the side. I'd make a mod that did this myself but I have no idea how Unity modding works.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Penultimatum posted:

I feel like an elegant solution to land value would be to have lots that are being built run an imaginary line downhill. Every scenic object ( i.e. high level building, park, tree, etc.) the line passes would slightly increase land value, and every ugly object (i.e. factory, landfill, etc.) the line passes would slightly decrease the value. The line would stop when it hit a building with height larger than the initial elevation, which would model your view being blocked. If the line gets all the way to water you'd have a big boost to land value and the line would stop, modeling a waterfront view. It would also stop if it reached the bottom of the hill. If you had this running every frame it would probably destroy your FPS, so you could limit it to every time a building levels up or intermittently at random.

This wouldn't model things like having really pretty natural features far away, but it would encapsulate approximately how view affects land value. It would also create deeper gameplay, as you'd have to zone your buildings so they didn't block the view of the other buildings in order to maximize revenue. You wouldn't be able to see the effect of view on the overlay in advance if you did this, but it probably wouldn't be a big deal. The one downside is that it would only take into account things that are directly downhill of the lot, and not things off to the side. I'd make a mod that did this myself but I have no idea how Unity modding works.

But I want to look outside my window and see factories below the cliff, that'd own. I live near a freight yard and dock and it's so cool to see the dock cranes every time I go to the store.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

sigseven posted:

Ooh, that is interesting. I wonder what makes them use the inner circle. It's plausible that it finds a shorter path through the middle of the roundabout than going around the outside and prioritizes that. It's big enough that some traffic will find shorter routes along the outside while others are shorter through the middle. I bet it holds up well in high density traffic!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we had a traffic simulation mode where we could stress test intersections, maybe even generate some metrics from it. So then when people post interchanges on the workshop they'd post their metrics as well and you'd know how the intersection performs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chewbot posted:

Ooh, that is interesting. I wonder what makes them use the inner circle. It's plausible that it finds a shorter path through the middle of the roundabout than going around the outside and prioritizes that. It's big enough that some traffic will find shorter routes along the outside while others are shorter through the middle. I bet it holds up well in high density traffic!

I haven't studied it exhaustively but traffic in the game seems to prefer a "straightest route" path if there isn't a large empty road to override that rule. I've watched many trucks zig-zag through neighborhoods just because it was nearer to an "as the crow flies" route than some other path I had built for them.

Could be what's going on there, if going through the central ring allows for less deviation off that straight line that might be why they choose it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xzzy posted:

I haven't studied it exhaustively but traffic in the game seems to prefer a "straightest route" path if there isn't a large empty road to override that rule. I've watched many trucks zig-zag through neighborhoods just because it was nearer to an "as the crow flies" route than some other path I had built for them.

Could be what's going on there, if going through the central ring allows for less deviation off that straight line that might be why they choose it.

I've seen the opposite happening too. Huge grid of 2 lane roads with absolutely no traffic on it, and my 6 lane going through town is absolutely jammed, even though in most cases it isn't even the most direct route. I'm sure though it's just calculating the "fastest" route taking into account speed limits of roads and intersections. I wonder though do people ever adjust routes for traffic? No necessarily dynamically but the game understands congestion via the traffic overlay. Do new trips correctly add in the "cost" of those congested tiles to take a faster route?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Chewbot posted:

The inside goes clockwise and the outside goes counterclockwise, so if you want to go clockwise one or two highways you go through the inner roundabout.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

Chewbot posted:

A shorter path through the middle is exactly what happens. It is fun to look at, but I don't think it holds up as well as a non-roundabout interchange. (At least, for this particular design of it.) I think we'll need some more advanced road tools for setting right-of-ways and lanes to get it working well.

Here's what I replaced it with:

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Offramps are 1-lane 1-ways. "One way roads" are 2-lane 1-ways. Highways are the highest capacity 1-ways. A lovely solution to traffic build up from offramps is to upgrade them to highways, especially if it leads into an intersection. There are better and more complex solutions to this, though.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Baronjutter posted:

All that said, has anyone dug into how easy it would be to mod transit vehicle capacities? They seem a touch low, both from a gameplay perspective and a "realism" perspective. A city of 60k shouldn't need 6 metro lines running bumper to bumper trains to move people around, nor should a quiet suburban area need a parade of huge tour buses.

I guess you could just overwrite them since they're public?

quote:

public class BusAI : CarAI
{
public int m_passengerCapacity = 30;

public class PassengerTrainAI : TrainAI
{
public int m_passengerCapacity = 30;

Weirdly enough, they both have the same capacity?? And MetroTrain inherits from PassengerTrain, so that has the same as well.

My c# knowledge is limited though, maybe I'm reading this wrong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is no problem I cannot solve with highway ramps.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Is there really no way to "peel off" a 2-lane avenue into two separate 1 way roads without an intersection? Or even just merge a one way into just one lane of the 2-way without a stupid intersection? It's nice that the game lets you make overpasses but only being able to merge back with an intersection defeats the point.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GhostDog posted:

I guess you could just overwrite them since they're public?

Weirdly enough, they both have the same capacity?? And MetroTrain inherits from PassengerTrain, so that has the same as well.

My c# knowledge is limited though, maybe I'm reading this wrong.

It's probably per train car.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Count me in as someone else who made the disastrous decision of buying this last week, ensuring I won't do anything worthwhile for the foreseeable future.

That said, I've hit two fairly major issues, but reading this thread I didn't see them mentioned. The first is that in one of my cities, commercial demand completely disappeared around the time I hit the milestone for high density zones. I've zoned some high density commercial, a bit of which did get built up at first, but afterwards not a single commercial building appeared. And I kept playing for a long while afterwards, going from ~10,000 people to ~40,000. The lack of commercial demand, and resulting lack of commercial buildings, meant that my industry had trouble finding buyers for their products, although I alleviated that by building more offices for jobs and using cargo rail depots to try to export as much as possible (resulting in my rail connections having the worst traffic of anything on the map, except for roads in front of the cargo depots themselves). Anyone else hit that?

The second issue, which is probably worse, is that the game will sometimes get stuck while saving a game. Normally, after clicking save I'm returned to the map, and a busy icon appears in the top right corner of the screen, with "saving" appearing briefly, and then "packaging" for a second or so. But, once in a while, "saving" will stay there forever, and the game will be half frozen, with scrolling the map and a couple of other things still working, but everything else not responding. Trying to quit the game leads to an infinite loading screen. I've tried waiting half an hour, but it seems the only thing I can do is use the task manager to kill the process. This results in a corrupt save file appearing in the list of saved files.

sigseven posted:

Hail Satan.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sigseven posted:

A shorter path through the middle is exactly what happens. It is fun to look at, but I don't think it holds up as well as a non-roundabout interchange. (At least, for this particular design of it.) I think we'll need some more advanced road tools for setting right-of-ways and lanes to get it working well.

Crowley from Good Omens would have shed a single tear. :golfclap:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does that interchange even exist IRL. I wonder if you could merge 3 highways at once.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr. Wynand posted:

Is there really no way to "peel off" a 2-lane avenue into two separate 1 way roads without an intersection? Or even just merge a one way into just one lane of the 2-way without a stupid intersection? It's nice that the game lets you make overpasses but only being able to merge back with an intersection defeats the point.

Yeah that's about the only thing seriously missing from the roads for me. The solution? HORRIBLE ROUNDABOUTS EVERYWHERE.

It's clogging up! Maybe there's too many entrances?

Urrrrtghh

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
@YeOldeButchere: I think CO knows about the save crash bug. I've seen it too, though only once, and we've had other reports of it in this thread.

The commercial demand is 100% for sure on the top of their list to investigate/fix. Seems parks take up all your tourists' time, as it stands, so no one wants to go shopping.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Due to complaints about parks required to upgrade/appease industry, I've made some suitable parks for industrial locales, as you can see here and here.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

TheQat posted:

@YeOldeButchere: I think CO knows about the save crash bug. I've seen it too, though only once, and we've had other reports of it in this thread.

The commercial demand is 100% for sure on the top of their list to investigate/fix. Seems parks take up all your tourists' time, as it stands, so no one wants to go shopping.

Ok then, that's definitely good to know. The weird thing about the save issue is that all three times it happened so far is after I've played a good long while without saving. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but it's certainly annoying.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

zedprime posted:

I don't know if we have the same definition of obvious. Because after playing the game it becomes obvious you want as many lanes going into an intersection in a direction as there are coming out. Which the ideal set up takes into account, while the brute force method ignores the idea.

But what people are actually saying is you don't need to get that deep into it unless you want to. Its possible to make entirely functioning road systems without the perfect 6 lane trident.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you or the post we're referring to was saying, but it seems to me that if you just have a normal 6-lane road, only the outside lanes get used, even though it causes traffic to be backed up and cars could be taking the middle lanes to bypass turning traffic.

However, by inserting a 2 lane road, you force cars into the middle lanes first, which then move to the outside lanes when needing to turn.

This is a flaw in the AI, as the proper behavior should be that vehicles utilize the inside lanes (i.e. through-lanes) first and only use turn lanes when necessary, until such time that the through-lanes are congested which will quickly cause congestion on the turn lanes. This would be when your road has reached its actual capacity, where traffic couldn't be improved directly by fixing that particular stretch of road. That's what I mean by improved AI and gaming the system.

I get that it's not necessary and I've got some pretty lovely intersections and on/off ramps that magically work, but it would still be nice that roads would operate at maximum capacity without having to resort to weird tricks. One benefit is that a six-lane road actually becomes much more of an improvement over a 4-lane road than the current system, where they both end up using just the outside lanes and so the extra two lanes essentially become wasted (at least, in that particular scenario).

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Protip: Building roundabouts out of highways is the best. It's highways and onramps all the way down.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

Due to complaints about parks required to upgrade/appease industry, I've made some suitable parks for industrial locales, as you can see here and here.

Adding these to the OP.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Noyemi K posted:

Oh man, that's great. I hate dropping tree parks in my industrial just so they'll upgrade. Sub'd.

Goddammit I can't get over how great the modding is in this game. Hey, identify a tiny problem that the developer will never fix because it's low priority? Don't worry, the community already fixed it.

edit: heh, there's quite a few industrial parks on workshop :)
edit 2: every other industrial park mod I tried seems to have forgotten that you need to make it actually affect land value and are useless. Thanks Noyemi!

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 16, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What, I like plopping a bouncy castle in an industrial area! :downs:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hopefully once things have slowed down we can get a goon approved super pack of addons together.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
What does commercial "want"? Like residential likes low noise, good land value, services etc. Industry likes for its freight and workers to be able to get to it. Offices presumably want worker access and land value. So what of retail shopping? Do they care about "walk-by" customers or do people go out of their way to go shopping anyway? Does it at all help if it's along their commute route even if they are on the bus or driving?

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah that's about the only thing seriously missing from the roads for me. The solution? HORRIBLE ROUNDABOUTS EVERYWHERE.

It's clogging up! Maybe there's too many entrances?

Urrrrtghh

That sucks. Is this modable, has someone fixed it? Most road mods I see so far are cosmetic.

Noyemi K posted:

Oh boy oh boy! Who doesn't love playing in the barbed wire!

Do you need land value for fancy-pants industry? Is that what? Do people ever "go for lunch" actually? Is it worth zoning a touch of commercial around industrial-town?

Also - am disappoint (though not terribly surprised I guess) there isn't mixed zoning :(. It probably wont' be easy to mod that poo poo since that's a pretty big underlying assumption.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

suddenlyissoon posted:

Also, apparently a laid-off Maxis designer is asking for money to make buildings for the Skylines.
It's the circle of life!

This guy's Patreon is already up to $132 per building.

For reals, though, I never realized what a crazy amount of work it is just to put one building together for games like this.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409068574

Mod that removes parks from demand calculations.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Roadie posted:

This guy's Patreon is already up to $132 per building.

For reals, though, I never realized what a crazy amount of work it is just to put one building together for games like this.

This man is a genius. And yeah this poo poo is time-consuming, I used to model environments, terrain and make lookup tables for SW:tOR and I put in about 25 hours on the Skylines mods I put up on the first page. Good for him making the best of a layoff, I'm gonna give him money.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made a few changes and a couple videos. I can get cars to use the inside ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtZ-krEpk2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb5pu-bFaKk

I don't know if it's worth doing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

euphronius posted:

Hopefully once things have slowed down we can get a goon approved super pack of addons together.

I think this is just about as slow as the rate of mods will be for about the next year. This game is is a modding tinderbox, its a complete sandbox with a solid simulation core that rewards meticulous attention to detail, is under $30 and was built with community support in mind. Plus the backpressure of not having a really expansive really good city sim for a while, yeah, this is gonna be one of those "how did I end up with 100 add ons plus lots?! Well theyre all important anyway" games for a long while.