Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Noyemi K posted:

What are some pro-strats for making rad workable industry connections or road hierarchies because besides the Mars Colony and Rokayapnagar I actually have some massive traffic issues and I'm sure those two are flukes.

I'll go ahead and plug it again: give the "industrial coffee filter" design plan a whirl. It works just about perfectly in my cities. The concept is to separate off all the industrial truck traffic from the highways to prevent it from snarling the traffic in your residential areas. Here is a screenshot of the general layout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Ihmemies posted:

Can't wait for the full soviet cube "neukkukuutio" collection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407011788

Yesss, more of this sort of thing please. My plan of a Magnitogorsk-inspired Stalinist hellscape remains tainted by the architecture of Western capitalist decadence.

I hope some enterprising modder also manages to make fake mixed zoning by making commercial models that look like the residential ones with shops added.

Edit: I also hope people make more industrial buildings, those are always underrepresented in citybuilder modding. I want drab brown brick, dilapidated warehouses, and bigger smokestacks that belch massive plumes of black smog. Basically more stuff to let me make my city as bleak and awful as possible :allears:

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 16, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Comstar posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Cities: Skylines - You have chosen, or have been chosen to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers.

I like this shot more:

Now needs large video walls of Dr Breen, random locations that have half life symbols on out of the way places, and head crabs scuttling around.

Someone needs to make Nova Prospekt. Like, right now.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
We really need a new thread with someone that's willing to keep the OP updated regularly.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

CompeAnansi posted:

I'll go ahead and plug it again: give the "industrial coffee filter" design plan a whirl. It works just about perfectly in my cities. The concept is to separate off all the industrial truck traffic from the highways to prevent it from snarling the traffic in your residential areas. Here is a screenshot of the general layout:

I'm mostly quoting this so I can look back at the post in my history, ha-ha. Because right now I'm having some serious traffic problems in Inchun, though I've greatly reduced the industry traffic I'm dealing with heavy traffic along a certain road and I'm thinking it's probably because of the lack of a frontage road on the highway. Luckily, I left space for it I think, but :effort:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guildencrantz posted:

Yesss, more of this sort of thing please. My plan of a Magnitogorsk-inspired Stalinist hellscape remains tainted by the architecture of Western capitalist decadence.

I hope some enterprising modder also manages to make fake mixed zoning by making commercial models that look like the residential ones with shops added.

Edit: I also hope people make more industrial buildings, those are always underrepresented in citybuilder modding. I want drab brown brick, dilapidated warehouses, and bigger smokestacks that belch massive plumes of black smog. Basically more stuff to let me make my city as bleak and awful as possible :allears:

Also need the possibility to tax private car ownership 1000% (so like Denmark) to get a proper :ussr: feel to it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I want really tall mega-factories. That'd be baller.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
It would be nice to have toll roads, or the ability to set up London style congestion charging with city districts.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, I'm getting to the point with my city (about 65 thousand odd, although I've got a bit of a die-off happening :stare: ) where I can start messing around with highway systems that actually have a purpose. I'm trying to get the hang of planning things out with regular one-ways because they're easier to snap to a grid and then upgrade them to ramps or highways as needed.

It took me a few goes, but I finally turned this pre-existing interchange into a cloverstack which seems to have smoothed up the flow across it nicely..

The next little project was this.

There's an industrial area on the right and a R/C mix on the left, so there's a dedicated pair of ramps for the trucks to get to the factories, but I also wanted vehicles to be able to access the highway without having to go all the way across the main avenue, so I stuck a couple of hooks in here as well. Technically it's really two different interchanges, but it means workers can get to their jobs in the factories without too much hassle from trucks until they're actually in the area.

The highway forking away from the lake in front of the airport is a new one. It's kind of complicated because it's serving a number of different journeys, from trucks, commuters and airport patrons. It gets plenty of traffic but rarely clogs up.

Further along the highway, I have another industrial area. The biggest issue is of course the freight train terminal (off the bottom of the pic). There's a kink in the highway because I haven't bought the plot yet; once I do that, I'll probably straighten it out and make some room for some more interchanges and possible extend the airport rail line to some new districts.

And finally that highway terminates here. (Yeah I did try damming the river across that span just to see what would happen, and it turned out to be a bad idea in ways we've seen quite a lot of!)

Back in town, I would kill to be able to shove the highway into a tunnel, but until they patch that in, I'll make do. Anyway, I had ramps in both directions onto that large road, and it was backing up crap everywhere, so I removed the two on the river side, and moved them closer to the bridge, having them run onto pair of one-way roads (which meet up at the avenue, and that seems to have dealt with the issue.

I'm also so crazy about double stations that I made another set, to enable quick access from the city out to the airport.

Also I love that skyscraper jutting out of the roundabout like that.

"Beauty" shot of the city.

OK, so I've got a few traffic snarls, but since I tend to pack things in cheek-by-jowl (while trying to throw kinks in to keep things interesting), that's gonna happen. I actually try to stick to 2-lane avenues unless I've got blocks backed up, then I'll upgrade. If, in the process of tweaking elsewhere, I've improved the situation I may even knock them back down to two lanes again. Because at the moment the traffic doesn't use the three lanes effectively. Use the middle lane or lose it. :colbert:

There's definitely a few things they could add to give a bit more control over traffic flow, but it's like, well, the core is very good. Nothing like the nightmare that was trying to wrangle traffic in SC2013.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 16, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Finally got to 100K; this game owns almost too much. It is as if we don't deserve this much ownage bestowed upon us by Colossal Order in tyool 2015. :worship:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I let my unplanned mess city hit 50k and then shelved it. I started a new one on Chewbot's Dunes Oasis map, and so far it's already like 300% better laid out than any part of my first city. The industry area is completely separated from any of the other main roads, held onto the rest of the town by a placeholder rotary that I'll replace with a new branch of highway once population and budget permit. I'll also use mostly raised highways this go around so I can use parallel service roads. Planning for walkability is also a concern, but mostly I just want to avoid the polluted spaghetti clusterfuck I ended up with in Marshwater. I want to make an aesthetically pleasing city, dammit!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Roobanguy posted:

i dont even care anymore traffic. you win i guess.
:stare:

So many bottlenecks. Must smash bottlenecks. Why can't I move the camera... oh right I'm on the forums again.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

A proper road hierarchy would cut that mess at least in half.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

You know, why bother with interchanges? Surely I could replace them with roundabouts?!

It's the Commonwealth way. :britain:

There's a highway roundabout near where I live, actually. Not as bad as that one, though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Noyemi K posted:

A proper road hierarchy would cut that mess at least in half.
I think just connecting that dumb monster avenue with some east-west connections would fix so many issues but I also have an urge to drop a proper highway spur with local service to surface road overpasses in its place

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

zedprime posted:

I think just connecting that dumb monster avenue with some east-west connections would fix so many issues but I also have an urge to drop a proper highway spur with local service to surface road overpasses in its place

Or roundabouts instead of intersections :getin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It's the Commonwealth way. :britain:

There's a highway roundabout near where I live, actually. Not as bad as that one, though.

Wow what mods are you using.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.
So, anyone else notice you can build the Harbor and the Cargo Harbor off of power lines running over the water as if they were a shore?

Sadly, you can't build underwater roads to it, so no submarine cargo ships...

Edit: Seems it only works on some power lines... maybe the ones near enough to the shore?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm willing to maintain a new thread, if no one else wants to. What should go in the OP?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

HardDisk posted:

I'm willing to maintain a new thread, if no one else wants to. What should go in the OP?

Some basic guides (like the Industrial Coffee Filter thing) and info on the game, along with a list of highly recommended mods and a few pretty pictures of course :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The comics are funny.

Maybe also links to the official mod collections.

And also links to modern urban design theory such as fused orbs and frontage roads.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Noyemi K posted:

Some basic guides (like the Industrial Coffee Filter thing) and info on the game, along with a list of highly recommended mods and a few pretty pictures of course :)

The gifs (like the industrial traffic one from reddit) are super helpful in figuring out wtf is happening.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HardDisk posted:

Something awesome:

Trilin posted:

I hope this hasn't been posted already but it's loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_ist_PERM

Something useful (by now there may be more adroit tutorials on how turn lanes can work for you but this gets the major points across):

Yaos posted:

After his numerous fuckups, Quill made a video on how roads work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1yNaa83I2E

Something inspiring

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What happens if I zone farming or forestry outside of the suitable areas?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ooooooh:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408933607&searchtext=

Pretty neat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wow, there sure are a lot of tears on reddit because of the guy who's releasing all of those variations of default buildings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2z7g5f/wtf_is_this_spam_and_why_is_it_rated_up_so_much/

:allears:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Wow, there sure are a lot of tears on reddit because of the guy who's releasing all of those variations of default buildings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2z7g5f/wtf_is_this_spam_and_why_is_it_rated_up_so_much/

:allears:

Doesn't it give more colour variety to your city?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Poil posted:

What happens if I zone farming or forestry outside of the suitable areas?
They build final product workshops that import the zoned raw material.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I can't play the game before an OS reinstall, so could you guys try and see if Diverging Diamond is as efficient as it is sexy?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WMain00 posted:

Doesn't it give more colour variety to your city?

More color variety as well as trees and stuff. Just a bunch of small changes to break up sameness.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I wonder if the game is moddable enough to make platforms above your city that you can build on. How am I supposed to make Hengsha from deus ex or Midgar from ff7?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I wonder if the game is moddable enough to make platforms above your city that you can build on. How am I supposed to make Hengsha from deus ex or Midgar from ff7?

All the poors live on the ground. If they want sun, they gotta work for it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

zedprime posted:

They build final product workshops that import the zoned raw material.
Thanks. Does this mean that the zoned industry in the correct fertility will produce more raw material to compensate? I assume not.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I want to be able to start before 2015. In like 1960 or something. Or 1920 even.

This is the me that wants this game to be more like TTD :(

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I made a completely awful afront to the Lord our God by putting some of the highway interchanges in the (ocean?) water and building a maze like way to intersect with the existing interstates. It looks GOD AWFUL but dammit if it didn't solve ever single traffic issue I had because it allowed me to somehow reroute industry traffic to an island off-shore that handled both rail and boat cargo.

Also, apparently a laid-off Maxis designer is asking for money to make buildings for the Skylines.
It's the circle of life!

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 16, 2015

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

FUUUUCK! Anyone know how to get custom road assets back after the game mysteriously deletes them?

I spent way too long on a very particular hexagon block and built out a huge city yesterday, when I opened the game this morning that hex block was missing.

edit: It happened when I switched computers, so I suspect steam cloud is part of the issue? Maybe instead of syncing road assets it deletes them?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 16, 2015

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

HardDisk posted:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm making the new OP, how's it looking so far? I guess I need more screenshots, but for now it's enough.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=22085

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Do you have this video? It was awesome.

EDIT: Found it https://vimeo.com/106226560

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***