Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Can someone help me figure this out?

The two blank blocks in the middle are former low-density residential districts. I dezoned them to rezone as high-density residential and... nothing happened despite my demand meter being completely full. Out of curiosity, I zoned those two blocks over to the right high density residential, out of the district... and they filled instantly. I reverted back to an earlier save and no amount of changing district policies, fiddling with parks or transport, etc. made those two blocks refill. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Kat Delacour posted:

Does it have a district style?

... yeah, it's set to the Brooklyn pack, which I assumed had high-density residential.

Whoops.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I may have made a mistake. I started up a new game on the Seven Lakes map and decided it would be fun and cool to link all the lakes together and eventually I'd be able to try like, a ferry system linking them together

Are these lakes all at the same elevation? Is this flow going to continue Forever?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Don't trolleybuses have a special property that they're not affected by snow on the road?

Speaking of transit: what the hell is this?

It's like a train station on the very border of my map, and it's clogging the gently caress out of my outgoing trains. Sometimes a post van loads/unloads here too? Is this the effect of thaat policy that increases incoming/outgoing connection capacity? Is it just putting a huge station at the edge of my map and populating it with cims?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

Cims spawn in at the edge of the map and wait there for a train, or pull out their pocket car and get in.

Hrm, this is a problem then.

It seems like incoming and outgoing trains are getting jumbled up here - both these trains are facing inward. A train trying to leave gets nose-to-nose with one of these, and then can't move until the other train moves (they magically become intangible at this point). I've tried demolishing some of the track leading up to here and relaying it, loving around with some one-way tracks, nothing. Is this connection just busted?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Even if they didn't do full procedural, the SimCity 4 method of defining the building but the garden or plot is dynamic would be a huge step up.

Combine that with a simple dynamic paint system so that buildings can be different colours, and dynamic levels of dirty.

Doesn't CS already do these two? Actually it might not do the second one, although I feel like I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure I see low-density houses with different trees, playground bits, etc. in the backyard or commercial buildings with/without billboards.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Oh, this discussion gave me a thought: one of the traffic-related mods lets you enable/disable certain kinds of traffic on roads, right? Commercial buildings (both in-game and in real life) need trucks to be able to deliver goods to them, but there's no reason to allow normal single-person vehicle traffic on those roads. Maybe set up the roads to allow for delivery vehicles/emergency/healthcare/etc. but disable standard cars?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

We built an underground metro that was a bit of a white elephant - have developed a high density residential core area (surrounding a botanical gardens, university, and a few other nice things) - it was a short loop to a high density commercial area, and recently added in the industrial area as a second line. Only about 450 users per week on something that was probably well over 100k. Roughly what sort of distance should we put between stops, and what are the best sorts of things/areas to have around metro stops?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "X per week" number either doesn't actually mean anything, or is based on the number of agents actually physically walking to/from the station (a cim will walk a good long distance, and days are not that long in real-time). Some of my busiest metro stations in maps have hovered around 450, and in a similar vein I've never had a public library report more than 22-ish users a week... including libraries directly next to massive residential areas or multiple arcologies.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

One of the complaints I saw about tbe DLC was that the airport terminals are attached to some kind of funky roads, in the same way things like the fishing harbors, cargo ports, etc. all come with a road attached. is there any good way with modding to replace those roads with more appropriate ones? the last time I tried, I could move the building/its associated road around with stuff like Move It, and I could move the entry/exit points, but I couldn't just... delete the road to replace it with something better

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Vizuyos posted:

Wow, this guy was not subtle at all in his code, this is hilarious

loving incredible

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Does anyone know of a good collection/theme on the workshop suitable for a former industrial district being turned into residential units? Factories and warehouses converted into lofts, that kind of thing.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

When a cim gets a job, do they hold that job until they retire/die/the building is removed or changes in some way?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Blimpkin posted:

Now that I have gotten "good" at the game, I hate two things more than anything, Deathcare (and to a lesser extent Landfills) below whatever it is population count that unlocks incinerators and crematoriums...and finite resources. By the time I've finally got my Oil or Ore industries humming along I'm out of resources and going into debt to acquire raw materials.

I don't want to enable infinite resources but I will now.

edit:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803074771

i had no idea

I have a mod that sets resource depletion to 10% - feels much more reasonable that way. I thought oil and ore could still turn a profit even if you were importing the raw goods, though? Or is that only if you've got the factories pumping out specialized products?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Whenever I load a game, I'm getting a bunch of missing props errors - nothing gamebreaking, but apparently I'm missing a bunch of little props. Is there any tool/mod that'll help me find the appropriate items on the workshop? Or will I have to search them all by hand?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Trying to learn how to fiddle with Node Controller and Network Multitool to create nicer intersections - I came up with an idea for a tram-inclusive roundabout where the trams won't end up horribly jamming traffic that I want try out (I just think trams are cute) - and I'm running into a few small issues:

a. this looks, bad - the sidewalks from the two roads are clipping into each other due to the tram lines running into the intersection. In addition, the tram line ends up slightly bowed/kinked because of this

b. I'd really like to remove the stop signs/crosswalks in the middle of the intersection, as I forsee this causing some issues (similar things have cropped up in the other intersections I've tried where one car out of place will horribly back up trains, for example) - I thought I could join the nodes, but they have a common segment (which is obvious in retrospect, they're right next to each other).

Alternatively, I had a few other ideas - if we look at the intersection/roundabout at a further distance - I'd really like to have commercial zones on the inside (that's why it's so large):

a. Are these one-way streets long enough to prevent trams from breaking the intersection? If so, I could use a one-way road with a tram track.

b. I have a mod that'll let me set zonability on things like tram tracks - if I put the tracks on the inside and do that, then build buildings on those tram paths, will vehicles/services be able to path to them? Or will that just gently caress everything up?

(e: I tried that and it looks like at least the building closest to the road is truck-accessible, which I think means anything I built against inner tram tracks would be okay? Anything further seems to have dead bodies/crime/fires pile up.

)

c. Would this just be an overall lesser pain in the dick if I used tunnels to dig tram tracks underground and had them intersect there? They could branch off the four-lane roads eight cells or so back from the intersection, tunnel down, and then have a simpler intersection underground?

d. Or maybe the inner section is large enough that I can just have overground tram tracks join in the middle, behind the buildings?

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 6, 2022

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Related question: what happens if you have a dam that ends up damming water behind the map edge? Does it end up flowing off the map, or...

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/cities-skylines-plazas-promenades.1539337/

New DLC announced - looks like a focus on walkable/car-free areas for cities. Might see about trying to do a city focused on pedestrians/bikes!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

no, that's basically a totally insane way of handling music playback

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Wow I'm surprised this thread has seen so little traffic after a big DLC.

Anyways, actual question: if I'm using the roundabout builder mod, is there a specific radius to the roundabout I can set that will position the nodes to give me easy 45 degree intersections from it? I am trying to build roundabouts that I can easily make a fifth/sixth exit from but boy howdy the nodes are not playing nicely with things. Would it be easier to just make a big eight-way intersection, plop the roundabout on top of that, and then go from there?

e: decided to not be lazy and just try it. From what I'm seeing with two-lane roads, 88 units perfectly spaces out eight nodes. 44 units spaces out four nodes at 90 degree angles, which makes it easy to get a 45 degree angle if you build a few more roads to get things aligned and delete them. 66 gets you six evenly spaced nodes if that delights you for some reason.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 3, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Also, I can't remember a specific source/numbers for it, but some people just aren't going to go to college - even if they get the high school education level, they may just Not Go

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

So there's talk of a CS2 announcement during Paradox's thing on Monday - I'm really hopeful that a new base game/engine will fix some performance stuff, and I'm hoping that they don't gently caress up a bunch of the custom content like plain ol non-ploppables that're already on Steam Workshop.

Moving to CS2 and losing a bunch of the DLC for CS would suck though - really hope some of that stuff gets baked in to a sequel. Honestly some of my DLC I don't even notice anymore really (Snowfall), and some of it I forget isn't even base game content (After Dark should just be free lmao). I really do like kind of micromanaging areas like parks, industrial areas, college campuses (although we didn't need three loving different types). I'd be willing to cope without some of that stuff if we got a nice big engine upgrade that smoothed out gameplay and let us build bigger cities, or ideally whole-rear end metro regions like SC4.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I like the agent-based traffic because I like watching it ebb and flow as I gently caress with the roads, but honestly - pedestrians could probably get handwaved. Neat to see them milling around but I'm sure the calculation overhead isn't worth it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Mixed-use zones would be fantastic, I have this pack of Brooklyn brownstones that have first floors that are like, convenience stores, doctor's offices, etc. but they obviously don't function that way and I wish they did

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

I know it's likely to never happen, but I want to be able to forbid industries from importing poo poo like I can with mods in CS1. Turning imports off is one of the first things I do with new cities, and every time I never regret it. It saves so much needless traffic because storage buildings aren't constantly importing expensive raw materials.

What mod is this? I really like to start cities with an industrial zone - it makes sense for a little village to get established next to a new logging operation or something - but watching them import a bunch of poo poo that should be produced locally sucks.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Burns posted:

I know folks love their ploppables but id much like to see the growable/dynamic system that is used for RCI and applied elsewhere. For example a healthcare zoning to build hospitals, civic zoning for police/fire services and better developed zoning for farming and industry to dynamically generate.

Yeah, I'd like this - some things make sense to be ploppable (schools, police/fire) but it would be cool to zone for healthcare and get a hospital district - like the one I live next to in Chicago!

(of course, I'm saying this as an American, where healthcare is privately funded... :()

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Specially if we get to plop down modules where and how we like so every building is unique.

This is also a change I'd like to see - I hate that without a bunch of workshop downloads, every high school in my city looks like... one of two buildings. Stuff like that is perfect for some procedural placement of like, wings and floors and stuff.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Entropic posted:

in unmodded SC you basically have to give any sizable industrial area its own dedicated highway connection because of how much cargo truck traffic it generates. If your industrial traffic is getting routed through the main throughfares your residents use, it will choke everything, especially if it has to go through multiple controlled intersections to get to the highway.

I've tried a few strategies to mitigate this and it still seems to end up messy - lately my starts have been taking a highway interchange (usually one from a pack of interchanges I downloaded that turns the on-ramps into basically a big roundabout) and making one side of it Industry and the other side Not Industry, and things still end up somewhat clogged. should my industrial zone maybe just be like, further down the highway, far enough to need its own exits?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Can you post an image of your current city layout? It may be that the shortest path between the outside connection and where tourists want to go is actually through your city. If you're at the point where building a train station is feasible, putting that close to the new tourist specialization area you wanna create may help things. Alternatively, mass transit?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm from a mid-sized Midwestern city. Effective public transportation is an aphrodisiac for me.

My city was so close to having a Subway system. You can still visit the tunnels.

I'm from a small Midwestern city and when I moved to Chicago one of my high priorities was being within walking distance of an el stop. I can get to O'Hare and back any time I want for five bucks. gently caress taking an Uber.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

mutata posted:

Gentrification sucks but old factories and stuff converted to apartments are also cool, it's a bitch of an earth.

my old job was an office that was inside a converted bicycle factory, it was excellent, we had all these exposed steel beams and lattices and pipes and poo poo

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I am not convinced anyone at CO has ever seen what a North American home with driveway looks like. Houses just sitting on enormous concrete pads that extend towards the road.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Am I missing something, or are public libraries just... not a thing?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

It does seem impossible to create a road without broken zoning.

Why is that gap there? It's a single straight segment of road dragged out in one action. Going to need a lot of Move It in this game.

This happened in the previous game, too - it wants the grid to line up nicely with the end of the road section, but there's not enough room in the middle for one more square of zoneable area.

It's super annoying!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

I kinda just wanted them to make the building fit together more realistically and they haven't really seemed to attempt to do that

tbh this has been my big complaint so far; a lot of stuff feels a lot nicer, but the way a lot of buildings still just poo poo the bed with building/prop placement on any kind of slope is insane. There really should have been at least some building models for situations where like, hey, this lot is on a slope - let's use a model where the basement is partially exposed, rather than have the back foundation of the house shoot up twelve feet out of the ground. Sheds you'd have to hoist your lawnmower into with some kind of pulley system. Swimming pools where entry requires a chin-up.

It looks totally fine from a distance, but the minute you zoom in just a hair too much the illusion just shatters.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Danaru posted:

How important are parking lots? Nobody seems to actually use the ones in commercial zones and all my roads are lousy with people parking on the damned sidewalk

There are policies to charge for street parking... which I'm considering implementing because I have cars parking across town. You have a lovely "north american" driveway, it takes up like half an acre of your property, use it

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

is it like CS, where you need to wait for the water to build up behind the dam before it starts actually generating electricity

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I have a save running with both water and electricity exports working. In fact, I built a geothermal plant and I think it's actually a net positive income for me with the electricity it's exporting? I don't have the game open right now to look

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

ridiculously; cims will use street parking that is literally blocks and blocks away from their housing. not even a garage. just leaving their truck out on the street

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Quays and canals and etc. aren't currently in CS2 hiding in a menu that I'm not seeing, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

oh gently caress that looks hot

I liked the look of building islands/canals in my cities but it could look a little hacky sometimes in CS1 - I especially hated how quays couldn't act as like, pedestrian/bike paths. But now that those are a default feature, and with how good this looks, I could ring my islands in pedestrian paths. Especially nice now that terraforming is free/unrestricted.