Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TalonDemonKing posted:

New player here. No DLC besides the free ones. What am I getting into besides accidently polluting my drinking water with my sewage water?

Any tips besides not putting your sewage up stream?

Just play with infinite money, the budget management early city game isn't actually fun at all.

Modding this game is a nightmare of dependencies and never being sure if you have the mods you want.

Yes, the traffic model is completely hosed from the get-go, the routes sims take make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does anyone actually not use the built-in infinite money mod and play in non-sandbox mode where you have to actually budget?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there a way to make highway exit / merge lanes that doesn't look like complete rear end?

Traffic-wise, it seems to work fairly well if you have a highway go one lane wider a bit before an exit and then use the traffic mod to make use that lane and only that lane is for exiting. Same thing in reverse for merging.

But going from one road type to another is always aligned by the centre of the road, not aligned by lanes, so you get this nonsense:

It works but it looks like garbage.

Is there any way to make your 3-lane -> 4-lane highway connections look like this:

instead of like this?:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there a mod that lets you snap train stations onto existing rails and connect roads to them later instead of having to snap them onto roads? I've always found the default placement behaviour incredibly fiddly and annoying.

More generally, I'm trying to get back into this game after not touching it in ages, I wiped out my existing huge random collection of mods and have started from scratch, and I notice the OP here hasn't been updated in like 6 years, is there a go-to place with a roundout of essential QOL mods and basic stuff everyone should have? I've got the obvious stuff like TMPE and the tile-unlocking mods.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I finally got back into the groove of this game after purging my bloated modlist where i couldn't even remember what I had (as others have mentioned, trying to duplicate a youtouber's modlist is a rabbithole that just loads to bloat and confusion) and just starting over with some basic mods.
IMO the only really essential mods are TMPE, the network extension mod that gives you a bunch of extra roads, MoveIt, and Fine Road Anarchy.

I finally actually started building a sizeable city for the first time in ages.

I had a disaster roundabout that was backing up traffic everywhere and I thought "can I just manually build a 5-way interchange?"
Turns out you can, it's an unsightly abomination forsaken by god, but it works dammit. My traffic is great now! At least in that corner of the map...

The one thing I really wish this game did properly is having roads that can smoothly add a sliplane or merging two roads into one. Just lane merges in general. E.g. you can have a 3 lane highway segment connect to a 4 lane segment then go back to a 3 lane with a 1 lane exit, but the way they connect looks ugly even if you can make it work right with TMPE and try to get the layout close to realistic with road anarchy. I've never found a set of mods that seem to do it properly without a huge amount of micromanagement and having to like manually apply decal props to the road.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol turns out I have IMT and NCR installed already, I must have downloaded them when I was setting up my other mods and then forgot to look up how to use it has there's no in-game prompts without pressing a hotkey to open the special menus.
Played around with it a bit, looks extremely useful. I look forward to spending endless hours micromanaging intersection aesthetics instead of actually building anything.

Otacon posted:

One thing I've noticed is that all the "interchanges" I find on Steam Workshop are all.... huge. Does anyone have some go-tos for smaller, more compact junctions or intersections, possibly using bi-directional roads instead of two one-way highways?

Real life road structures in general are bigger than you think, as you tend to only ever interact with them from inside a fast-moving vehicle. The classic is example is if you ask people to guess how long each individual dash on the typical highway dashed-line lane divider marking is, they'll typically guess about 2 feet. (the actual answer is closer to 10 feet)

Entropic fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 26, 2021

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I need some modder to make a 1x1 LD commercial growable of this

https://twitter.com/squidlyyy/status/1397751186518941697?s=21

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Water is very weird in this game and takes eons to settle to a stable state.

And I can never ever get hydro dams to work worth a drat except in that one ideal spot by the rail bridge on the vanilla “Islands” map that gives you 1600MW every time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think the one new mod I picked up this time around which makes the most difference is Zoning Toolset. (I hear ZoneIt! does the same stuff with some different options)

Looking back, the main reason traffic always got so bad in my first few rounds of trying to play this game was because I wasn't properly respecting road hierarchy and using collectors properly. The ability to turn off zoning alongside big roads makes it so much easier to do things properly because it allows you to clearly keep track of what roads you're intending use as collectors with no local traffic, and it lets you have lots fronting other roads that back onto those collector roads without creating local traffic on the collector, so you can make much more efficient use of space.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has there ever been a game that does a cross between SimCity and Civilization where you start as like an Iron-age settlement with horse paths blacksmiths and have to grow and modernize your city through advances in technology?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, I really liked Banished but it kind of dead-ends after a certain point because there's no further progress to be made and your only gameplay goal becomes "keep production balanced so I don't trigger a death spiral".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My main wish list item is for sliplanes to be properly implemented in the base game rather than being something you have to finesse with mods and have it still look wrong.
When a 3 lane highway turns into a 4 lane it looks like this
code:
When it should look like this:
code:
1      1
2      2
3      3
with a proper lane start at the bottom

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Agreed. The ability to zone off pedestrian-only paths/avenues would be great.

You can do that with TMPE vehicle restrictions.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 8, 2021

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don’t actually want simulated city council politics, I just want to bring back this guy

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All of this sounds miserable, I’ll keep my infinite money zen garden thanks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The takeaway from that video, to me, is that I need to download a thousand individual assets.

Welcome to trying to add any theme mod to this game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really just wish it was easier to manage collections of assets and themes within the game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If I quit to main menu and then try to load a game or start a new game, it 100% of the time freezes up as soon as the map finishes loading. Basically if I'm going to reload a save or load a different map I always have to quit to desktop and relaunch the game entirely. Is this a known thing or is there a particular mod that's known to cause this?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So a bunch of the DLC and creator packs are on sale on Steam. Are any of the creator content packs worth it? It sounds from the reviews like the buildings from those packs just get added to the regular pool of RICO growables and there isn't a district style included? You'd think it would be a no-brainer to have a district style that lets you zone the new buildings when you buy them. Are there mods to easily do that? So far trying use custom district styles is my absolute least favorite aspect of modding in this game, it seems like a giant micro-managey headache.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have now reached the point where whenever I learn about a dumb building I immediately check to see if there's a C:S asset of it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=697899995

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

kingturnip posted:

There's a mod that lets you set 'cargo' entrance/exits for buildings, isn't there?
I guess you could use that alongside TM:PE to have access roads for heavy traffic and then other roads for cars/buses. Not quite what you're asking for, but would look a bit more realistic.

Or find a mod that gives gently caress-off big multi-story car parks and have your carefully-curated landscapes obliterated by brutalist monstrosities.

All buildings have a "front" on one road and I don't think Building Spawn Points actually lets you have vehicles access a building from multiple sides, though I haven't really tested it so I coudl be wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just used a mod to disable the need for both and never looked back.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I had my game crashing whenever i tried to load a map after installing the map pack and trying to play for the first time in a while, turns out it was the loading screen mod which hasn't been updated for Airports yet, and there's a temp version of it someone put up on workshop that fixes it while people wait for the original mod author to update the actual Loading Screen Mod.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A mod can ban specific users from downloading it? How does that even work?

but lol that definitely hints at some NexusMods level drama going on.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ater struggling with slow loads and instability and being annoyed at all the missing asset messages, I finally did what I should have done ages ago and wiped all my workshop items and started reinstalling mods from scratch after compiling a list of "essential starting mods" I was going to reinstall right away... which turned out to be about 50 items before getting into anything involving district themes or custom building assets. This goddamn game.

One day I'll actually build a city without abandoning it one day in.

I also finally watched some tutorial videos on how to actually use Node Controller and oh my god this mod fixes so much stuff than I thought it did.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ever since SimCity 2000 the only actual gameplay function of disasters has been to gleefully destroy your city like a kid smashing a sandcastle. Having them randomly occur when you're actually trying to build a city has never actually been fun.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

sucks cause between the dynamic water flow and how utterly loving pointless plumbing is now Skylines has a great niche for some kind of flood management system that would actually add something to city design

The water flow in this game is too glacially slow for any kind of gameplay based on it to be fun.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grand Fromage posted:

The original loading screen mod doesn't work anymore, there's an updated one someone else made.

Yeah, Airports DLC broke the original one and the author of it is AWOL but Klyte made a fixed version: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2731207699
Essential mod if you're running a bunch of other mods because it reduces overhead by letting assets share textures and props and stuff.

Baronjutter posted:

Here's some progress!

Turned an abandoned historic mill island into a train/logging museum!

:eyepop:
What map theme / LUT are you using here?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Speaking of DLC, what's the purchase priority? It's been a bit since I played and there's $200+ worth of DLC now.

The ones that feel like they add the most gameplay-wise are the ones that let you make whole special districts: Parklife, Industries, and Campus.

Being able to make customized parkland areas with trails and props and recreation buildings and stuff is such a great addition if you're really into landscaping to make your cities look pretty. I find I use the Zoo and Amusement park options less, but they're cool to be able to build if your city wants it.

The Industry zones that the Industries DLC has you building are a neat way theme your cities, you can build a company town around farms or oil or mineral extraction or forestry and the assets for all of them are pretty well done and add a lot of visual interest beyond the generic industrial zoning, and if you're clever with your landscaping and layout you can make some neat-looking stuff:

Industry zones add a whole other layer of traffic management as they generate a ton of freight traffic so you basically have to give them their own dedicated highway / rail connections but that can be a fun planning challenge to tackle.

The Campus DLC doesn't do a huge amount to actually affect the sim besides replacing the vanilla university buildings and potentially making money if you can grow and level them up and have a lot of students. The campus areas are very visually pleasing and fun to build though, which IMO is most of the point of this game. It also adds varsity sports stadiums.

Most of the other DLCs are a fairly mixed bag of random stuff in each one.
-Snowfall looked cool at first but I found the novelty of snow maps wears off very quickly when you realize everything just looks more bleak and uninteresting in winter. The main thing people like about that DLC is that it adds streetcar trolleys.
-After Dark adds roads with bike lanes, and some random transit and leisure buildings, as well as some commercial zone specializations (tourist and of course an optional day-night cycle.)
-Mass Transit adds monorails and cable cars and a bunch of new roads that are probably redundant if you run mods.
-Green Cities just adds a bunch of "eco" versions of stuff that is honestly not that interesting.

There's good in-depth rundowns on what's actually contained in all the DLC packs here: https://skylines.paradoxwikis.com/Downloadable_content

They periodically go on sale so just wait for the next Steam sale and see which of the good ones they discount.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Asset wishlist:

I'd really love a cargo terminal (freight train station / cargo harbour) that looks like one of these massive grain elevator piers:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Question:
I tried to load the Map Editor for the first time I can remember, and it loads forever and then eventually crashes with an Oops the game crashed error message.
Loading a new game or a save works just fine, but for some reason the map editor crashes out on me just trying to load a blank new map.
I noticed it didn't have the Loading Screen Mod screen while loading.
Is there some trick to getting the map editor to run? Do I have to disable all my assets? Surely it shouldn't be trying to load those anyways right?

Baronjutter posted:

I need to play with the new multitool more!

There's a good tutorial here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrESkHbshDs

I can't imagine trying to build custom interchanges without the "create loop" tool

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’m tempted to make a CPP stream bingo card.

-perfect is the enemy of the good
-pipes go under roads
-respect the topography
-oops we should have pre-graded
-something burned down while we weren’t looking
-10 mins spent landscaping a parking lot
-accidentally left collision off
-accidentally left node snapping off

Free square in the middle obviously just says MULLIGAN

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I don't give a poo poo what's going on underground, and water pipes/power lines have no interesting gameplay options to deal with.

I can see the appeal of using custom assets for big pylon transmission lines going for a realistic look, but yeah I turned on the “no pipes required” mod years ago and never lost led back.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’d way rather they refine the existing systems that are the strength of the game than try to add a bunch of new systems.

My wishlist for C:S2 would mostly be stuff like:

-improved traffic AI to make better use of extra lanes and take longer routes when the shortest one is already clogged with traffic

-better network connection features to make things like properly aligned slip lanes / highway exit lanes easy to do in vanilla without complex mods

-more / better district themes and theme management support in the vanilla game

-mixed use zoning

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eric the Mauve posted:

3D
Simcity 4
that doesn't run like poo poo

Pick two.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just want starting maps that give you something more than a highway system interchange to start from.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, just because you CAN build something doesn't mean you need to or should. There's very little your cities actually truly NEED to run -- power, water and waste services are the bare minimum, most of the rest is about making citizens happier and increasing land values to level up buildings, or managing traffic. Your city is not going to die or really suffer any major negative consequences at all from not having police stations and hospitals and public transit as soon as they're unlocked.

If you're not playing in unlimited-money sandbox mode, your priority in the early game is just building a tax base to balance the budget, which means zoning a bunch of residental with basic power, waster, and waste services, and probably at least an elementary school, and then adding some industry and commercial to give them jobs as demand requires. You can put off things like Police Stations and Hospitals until you can affort them. A lot of services that sound important have relatively minor actual mechanical impact in the game, like Elder-care which slightly increases life-spans and childcare which slightly increases the birth rate.

The main thing to remember with this game is it's not actually about min-maxing the economy and "beating" the game, it's actually just about making cool-looking cities, which is why so many people don't bother with grinding through the early game budget-balance slog and just play in unlimited money mode.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Protocol7 posted:

How'd you get your hands on one of my dozens of old cities!?

Also, partially related, what's a decent way to make two roads terminate into one like this?

I have all the usual mods that should let me wrangle it as needed (Move It/Road Anarchy/etc).

The mod you need is Node Controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCD06qDeoIg&t=337s

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Trying to get my modlist up and running on a new install on new PC, and I can't seem to get the Building Themes mod to work.
If I go to the Themes tab on a district, the Theme Manager button is there at the button but it does absolutely nothing when I click it, no theme manager window pops up. It's been ages since I set it up the first time, I can't remember if there's some trick to getting it to work.

e: and it pops up this error on map load:

code:
The Mod C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\255710\466158459 [0Harmony.dll, BuildingThemes.dll] has caused an error [ModException]

Details:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at BuildingThemes.Debugger.AppendModList () <0x00199>
at BuildingThemes.Debugger.OnLevelLoaded () <0x0001c>
at BuildingThemes.LoadingExtension.OnLevelLoaded (ICities.LoadMode) <0x0003b>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) LoadingWrapper.LoadingWrapper.OnLevelLoaded_Patch1 (LoadingWrapper,SimulationManager/UpdateMode) <0x0008b>
What am I doing wrong here?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 24, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It was a mod conflict I guess, deactivating all my mods and reactivating them in batches fixed my errors. 80% sure the culprit was Climate Control which I don’t think I need with my current loadout anyway.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I often find the same thing with DLC industry, I’ve never seen a building in one of my industry zones come close to filling up its worker quota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When I installed Map Pack 2, half of the maps in it didn't show up on the New Game screen until I went into Content Manager and manually enabled them, since only half of them started as enabled for some reason. Anyone else run into that?