Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Left: How the AI handles traffic by default (ex; I need to turn right in 5 blocks, I'll get all the way to the right immediately) Right: Optimally running a 6 lane one way road, traffic spreads out and uses all lanes for maximum throughput.

The Traffic Trident, a main trunk 6 lane road that maximizes throughput while permitting 2 way traffic that can return to the main trunk line. (Note: Left and Right roads are NOT 4 lanes, they are opposing direction 2 lane one ways)

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Left: How the AI handles traffic by default (ex; I need to turn right in 5 blocks, I'll get all the way to the right immediately) Right: Optimally running a 6 lane one way road, traffic spreads out and uses all lanes for maximum throughput.

The Traffic Trident, a main trunk 6 lane road that maximizes throughput while permitting 2 way traffic that can return to the main trunk line. (Note: Left and Right roads are NOT 4 lanes, they are opposing direction 2 lane one ways)

Fixed my post to make more sense, multitasking makes you braindead.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409590909

Saw someone ask for my lightless 6 lane intersection, here you go.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Jamsque posted:

Thanks for this

No problem. I just realized I didn't put it exact center of the asset designer, not sure if that makes a difference when plopping it down?

This is the grid layout I incorporated it into.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/itemedittext/?id=409596774

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

How do you get the asset builder to expand past 64x64?

It's not. If you were talking about the image in the link description, it's 4 of those grids put together. Also, the IMPORTANT NOTE I put on there was how I fixed my traffic problem for the offramp from this

to this

It seems so obvious now since all the traffic was flowing from the right side over to it's left alternate direction trunk counterpart.

Red traffic means nothing

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 17, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

i probably missed something but I dont see the difference in road design between these two or why one is much better than the other.

It's the same exact highway design, except in the grid layout, I had roads between these sections that meant traffic from all 4 grid blocks were all going out to the highway on the bottom left side and overloading the highway. The I noted in the grid asset link before NOT to connect the trunks like that, it'll give you congestion problems.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Did some highway testing, hope this helps a bit and shows that onramps can be very useful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nonDzZfoqiY

Also, one thing I forgot to mention, a dub-stub cancels out and makes all lanes thru again.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Nalesh posted:

I'm still on the edge on this after the disaster of a game that shouldn't be spoken about in polite company, so I ask of three things.
Are there any youtube channels that has actually competent people playing this game? I got linked Day9's stream of it the other day and it was the most infuriating thing I've ever watched :v:
What's the worst bug you've had?
Can you turn off the loving tweetdeck thing :v:

There is a good twitch stream from a goon that someone has handy.
I haven't had anything really bad buggy, but there is an issue if you plop too many parks that will kill commerce, but there's workarounds.
There's a mod for that

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Diviance posted:

Third, traffic trident variant:

I approve of this :v:

Also, I applied the trident idea with the things I learned about highways earlier and made a double diamond (technically it's called a full diamond, but I didn't check the list of interchanges to see if this was a thing before making it)

You can see the triple exit ramps splitting traffic. And the merge points work 2/3rds as theorized, the inbound lanes with turn signals do take the left and right sides of the highway when entering, but the straight thru lanes just pick whichever lane when they come out, so I'll be turning them back into full highway segments right after the initial split. If you keep the whole stretch a highway, all three lanes will be thru lanes. Also, I can make this smaller I think.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409073164

I know some folks were looking for this before. Pillar removal from railroad tracks so you can build your train tracks above roads.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Just a little bug warning when you're playing in the asset editor. If you save something, then start a new asset, always remember to check your save naming, it doesn't clear the old asset save name out.

Time to make the Double Diamond again -_-

This is probably? as small as is reasonable for max speed of the 45 degree on/off ramps.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

How do you create a Y intersection? Everytime I try the section turns red saying the space is already occupied.

When you have 3 roads combining, the game seems to get real mad if any angle is less than 45 degreees. If you are combining different sizes of roads, it can get real finicky. Some of the multi split highway sections I've made have required me to delete one spur to make a different one, and then I could put the spur back on no problem. A design could be completely legitimate, but you have to plop it in just the right order.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Still waiting on the Goatman.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

I did turn it on. All my save games have a little cross through the trophy now because it just didn't work :(

I'm not the only one, plenty of folks on the workshop page for the mod are having similar issues.

You will still get the cross through the trophy, but achievements are enabled.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Alakaiser posted:

Oh hey! One of my mods got put on TotallyMoo's mod collection thing. Truly, I have made it with my code template and three lines of original code.

(okay, there's extra code because of display differences in aspect ratio. Who the hell still uses a 4:3 monitor?!)

I'm surprised no one's caught that from my screenshots/gifs/video :ninja:

I'm still using the same exact monitors I've had since 2006. They still work and I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

Haeleus posted:

Is there a way to have custom tiles (e.g. parks) actually show an image in the scroll menu rather than the generic icon for mod objects? I've downloaded several new parks (love the little 1x1 tiles) and its getting annoying mousing over and guessing which is which without a visual queue.

Not presently

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

At the very least, some kind of rhyme or reason for how saves and items are ordered would be nice. Maybe I'm not catching it, but it just seems to put things in whatever order it feels like based on the wind direction at the moment.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

zedprime posted:

I think I figured out the arcane currents organizing saves, or as close as any mortal can. They are listed alphabetically, then at the end chronologically listed are any made in the current game session.

Either my game or computer doesn't know the alphabet then (or mods broke something), because "testcity" is above all my quicksaves at the top of the list, and "newsave" is towards the bottom below the quicksaves, and it's not reverse alphabet since "bigcity" is at the top just below "testcity" :psyduck:

And my assets have no order at all, though maybe it's basing off the savefile name, not the asset name in the quickbar, but I haven't looked closely at specifically what I named saves as.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Domattee posted:

neither can you have multi-level streets.

There's a mod for that

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409073164&searchtext=

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Sankis posted:

I tried to make a city with the trident thing posted on page 1 or 2, however I seem to have stop lights which makes everyone just clutter up together.

What did i do wrong?

The road that connects upwards from the tri-inbound intersection should be a highway piece as short as you can make it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Another Person posted:

people as products

Power producing crematoriums. Or just cut the middleman and send the dead straight to the incinerator.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Fishstick posted:

Once you get incinerators, is there a point to keeping landfills? Incinerator trucks function the same as normal garbage trucks in terms of picking up trash from residences, right?

Kinda. So far I've noticed it seems you need more collection capability than you need burn capability. So landfills provide more trucks for less cost. Similar case for cemetary/crematorium, though the dead collection need isn't as severe as long as you're not running the city of Auschwitz.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

Nope, industrial.

Do they serve any purpose or function outside of jobs? I think they do very very small amount of goods, but are they better tax income than industry?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Vetitum posted:

Just spent the evening on a new city , 10k inhabitants and not a single traffic light.

Wonder how long I can keep it going, high res-residential is putting some strain on the two lane one-way roundabouts.

Upgrade to highways.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

It appears that there is a limit to how many roads you can plop down. Roads and highways do not share the same limit counter. All versions of 2, 4, and 6 lane roads are on the same one though.

edit: Appears to be 100,000 cells of road.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 22, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Vire posted:

So what is the advantage to upgrading your buildings. Like I know when I put parks down the buildings upgrade and get bigger but what does that actually do? Is it just that they have more people in them thats it? Does land value actually do anything?

Higher level means more people living/working there, it also means higher tax income. Land value is useful for increasing level.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

You want a gridhell, I'll give you a gridhell.

Everything is 8x8 cells, 2 lane bidirectional roads. Highway is basically a gigantic roundabout around the outskirts. Almost all roads are red, but traffic does not back up. Roads are capped though and I can't build any more.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Is this normal for that many people, or just because I have 7 or 8 mods going? CPU is a 2 year old i7

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

cthulhoo posted:

Welp, something happened and I couldn't load any save games or even start a new game (black screen, loading progress bar forever) until I disabled "auto line color" mod. Posting just in case this happens to someone else, don't panic, disable mods.

e: Going by steam comments, I'm not alone. I guess the update broke everything.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408760323

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409865621&searchtext=

TransportLineColorMod is the superior version anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

onionradish posted:

It is pretty annoying that most of the default parks don't fit into the standard grid, though.

Edit:

Supposedly you can rotate pre-built items like highway interchanges with the right mouse button, but it seems super random and the placement moves too instead of objects rotating in place. Am I missing something about this?

If you just right click, it will rotate 45 degrees. If you hold right click, you can move around and rotate it smoothly.