Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I APPROVE OF THE THREAD TITLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This was mentioned a couple of pages back AND DESERVES WAY MORE ATTENTION!

:catstare:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

SketchUp is a disaster zone, which is annoying as 3D Warehouse has probably the most amount of freely available models. It's a pity though that drat near all of them have serious issues in modelling and texturing that usually results in the model just straight up failing to export properly.

I don't like Blender at all; there's a good reason its free. For starters its literally opposite world compared to all other 3d modelling tools out there - left is right, up is down. It creates seriously bad habits in modelling that become difficult to break out of.

3DS Max is good but it can be pretty daunting, although for simple game models it might not be so bad? The worst aspect seems to be texture mapping.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

simosimo posted:

I just want something like second life where you drag shapes, and assign textures (from your PC, in a folder). I can deal with tiling, and X + Y co-ordinates for texture offsetting. That thing I whipped up in about 10 minutes and was pretty straight forward, no idea how I get that into the game though [if I even can directly from Sketchup].

Thankfully buildings and city stuff can be low poly, and with good texture work I can hopefully get away with a lot of stuff. I'm thinking of making dumb small stuff anyways.

You should be able to - SketchUp has an export fbx option.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

I used to use Blender and Max in tandem before they semi-fixed half the exporters and made them vaguely functional :shrug:

E: also my speciality is normally 2D environments so anything that saves me time is an absolute good.

I'm just bitter because i'm getting nowhere importing a football stadium.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Noyemi K posted:

I use the same tools to draw my textures' details as I use to make 2D and isometric games.

It's great :getin: I'm starting to remember why I used to enjoy modeling.

The only good modelling render I did was this:

Which I then redid to remove the fuzziness a bit.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

James The 1st posted:

Of course there are idiots on the Paradox forums who are complaining that this game is worse than SC 2013 because it's not totally perfect yet.

I.....what? :stare:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

FINALLY

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409402809&searchtext=

I don't know why but this seems like an important thing to have for me.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

DRUGS!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Fishbus posted:

I currently tried my hand in making a map, called Skye. Initially it used the topography data of the island itself but took a while to make actual decent areas to build on and expand to.

If you like, small, hilly spaces with interesting natural features then you may like to try the map: Workshop Link

Cool! :)

I'm trying to import at the moment Edinburgh. Glasgow doesn't seem to work out that well - too low I reckon, but Edinburgh has fairly obvious properties like Arthur's Seat that mean the terrain map grabs it better. I'll need to play about with it and see what I can do.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Someone make a Better Call Saul billboard.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Good grief - someone on the workshop is working on an elevated railway station :stare:

Colossal are going to have to catch up with these modders.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Guys, what have I done!

WHAT HAVE I BECOME!?

:psyduck:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm pretty proud of my growing city:

:3:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Midgar?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The power satellite from Sim City looks pretty awesome in Cities:

Summervale is getting pretty big now, i've started expanding toward another area. I have the 25 tiles mod but i'm still only on the first 9. Game is huge. Here's my expo centre park at the west side of town:

Here's the centre of the city and the highway running through it. In hindsight this might not have been a good idea - there isn't alot of room to manoeuvre and the two junctions off the highway into the city are extremely busy at the moment:

This was the original avenue that I built before the highway for transport, which is now fairly quiet. I want to try create an off-ramp at the centre of the highway, but it's going to take alot of save/reloading and planning to try get it right:

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 22, 2015

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

gently caress yes:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414033115&searchtext=gate+tower

So downloading!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Help. HELP!!!

:negative:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What the -

:stare:

I've never seen Chirpy do that before.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

TheQat posted:

That's a pretty great april fools if that's part of their joke.

they also had some reddit stuff http://www.reddit.com/r/citiesskylines

quote:

Disasters are now available! Download Origin for the full effect

Holy crap they're not pulling any punches :stare:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Chirper doesn't really say anything useful, that's the problem. It's a sort of irrelevant chat box. If it was like sim cities advisers in that it supplied information on the city it would be much more useful.

There probably is the foundation to do that within the code actually.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Koesj posted:

My assets :swoon:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what assets are these? I'd like to download them!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

According to Reddit an announcement from the developers is coming tomorrow, presumably on the next DLC.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I got some screenshots of my city too at night.

Been quietly working on Citadel for a couple of months now:

View from far out of the main city, Citadel

One of the main roads leading in.

A large bypass surrounds Citadel to alleviate transport woes.

A view of the business district from the south side

The business district, a huge expanse of the island makes up the office side of Citadel

On the opposite end there's a rich commercial and residential district - the original area where Citadel started.

It's full of bright expensive looking buildings

The district stretches across the island. A highway bypass has been built to again alleviate traffic, but the bypass isn't complete yet.

A view from another end of town.

A bit further out the industrial district.

You can see from the bypass where i'm aiming to make the city boundary. After that's done I'll fill out the rest of the island with small towns and seaside places.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

I would love to see some close up shots of this part:

Daytime please.

Looks... Interesting.

It's a turbine interchange:

It does a pretty neat job of filtering traffic.

Daylight view of city from other side

View just slightly up from the turbine.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Breetai posted:

Is that downloadable from the workshop, and if so what's the name, please. :stare:

It was on the workshop, but I'm having trouble find it. I'll upload it tonight. It's not mine so I don't understand why I can't find it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Quick question; is snow limited to just the snow maps?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Poil posted:

Of course.

Bah was hoping that weather effects extending to all maps.

Now I have to decide whether I want rain/fog or perpetual winter.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I had to completely remove all my mods on Saturday and start from a clean slate because something (or possibly multiple things) installed were causing the game to slow to a crawl, chew up all my memory and then crash.

Seems to be okay now, although I'm still getting a few errors popping up, mostly I think from missing dependencies. I'm going be collection now and installing through there.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Has there been any noise from the devs recently about when the next update will be or what their plans are? I assume the answer is no but I figure it's easier to ask here than go spelunking on Reddit.

I was informed by my girlfriend (who is Finnish) that basically absolutely nobody works in Finland through the July/August period, so I'm guessing they're not in.

I swam in a lake while I was over there. It was cold.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Blergh I'm going to have to purge all my assets and start from scratch. The loader says there's a whole bunch of things failing, a mod somewhere has bugged out water pipes so I can't see anything and I've got a whole bunch of ugly looking assets that seem to have usurped some of the better looking options.

Whole thing is a total mess.

I really wish there was an external mod tool for this so I can sort through everything. The content manager and workshop really can't cope with lots of mods being installed.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Do you guys have an updated recommended mod list that you use that doesn't break the game or cause the load time to slow down to 30 odd minutes?

The last time I tried playing I couldn't, because the mod list was nuts and broke everything. Going to have to try flush everything and start from scratch.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 14, 2018

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is there some sort of bug at the moment with high rise residential buildings? It seems to be impossible to get them to grow. The RCI constantly is wanting low density. I have sprawling suburbs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

nielsm posted:

I think maybe you need to put some pressure on residential demand to get higher densities to be desirable.

Bulldoze my suburbs?