Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've put together a collection of UK mods [so far] - for those looking for a miserable town. There's not many atm but it's a start, hoping more modders are gonna crack out some great British content.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408887175

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone know how car modding works? Is it possible to 'add' a car to a city set, or is there one set of cars and modded cars would replace existing ones (eg a new car would replace the donut trucks)

I want to recolour the civilian cars to be less pastelly. Would also love to mod regional police cars as I love modding low rez textures.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Made some billboards for the asset makers, I dunno how to get them into models, but I love making random texture junk!

Feel free to use.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Trilin posted:

These are great.

Thanks, I've been after a game to mod for ages and this seems perfect for my creative texture exploits.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Too soon?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Is ther a modeller tool where you can drag and stretch shapes [or meshes] , and if you click on a face, you can assign a texture? A long shot, but something like Second Life.

I want to make small street stuff mods [like vending machines] but not knowing 3D stuff is crippling me.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Vending machines are already pretty easy stuff, but blender does support sculpting and texture painting (though I don't use that and I only use sculpting for faces)

What do you use? I'm only looking for low poly stuff for the time being to get started - I'd like to know how you assign textures to a model (still a mystery to me). Let's do this 3D thing!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

I use blender; I actually had a student license for Max at one point but I loving hated it. Blender might have a million shortcuts, but I love 'em, damnit.

Basically what you do to assign textures is to make a UV map and export that and draw (or paste in texture tiles) over it. I pretty much do my textures pixel by pixel, which is why the weird cartoon house is so cartoony looking atm.

UV map that's it. I've given Sketchup a download and will look into it later tonight. Hopefully I can whip up something at least

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Well hey! It actually kinda looks okay in-game! I need to tweak the normals and the specmap a bit, but wow! This is better looking in-game than I expected.

Dragonborn population : 1

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I made my first 3D model in Sketchup - pretty cool!

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 17, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I just want something like second life where you drag shapes, and assign textures (from your PC, in a folder). I can deal with tiling, and X + Y co-ordinates for texture offsetting. That thing I whipped up in about 10 minutes and was pretty straight forward, no idea how I get that into the game though [if I even can directly from Sketchup].

Thankfully buildings and city stuff can be low poly, and with good texture work I can hopefully get away with a lot of stuff. I'm thinking of making dumb small stuff anyways.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Shots fired

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

WMain00 posted:

FINALLY

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409402809&searchtext=

I don't know why but this seems like an important thing to have for me.

Nope you're not wrong, suburbarn areas are missing little fields. Roll on the little league baseball field!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Sorry, I know .fbx files can be used by the game, but I opened up the asset editor and could only choose from pre-made assetts (didn't see a 'load from file' dialogue anyehere) , is there a second step needed?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

You need to put the .fbx for the model and any maps it uses, in the "import" folder that opens up when you click the folder icon.

Wicked, will check that out. Beating a deadhorse here [i apologise], will the sketch models need a UV map, or are they 'generated' from the textures you apply with the face tool yourself.

ALSO

:siren:Solar panel fields for those inclined::siren:

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409354116

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Firing up the Sketchup debate again now that i'm done with work.

So I exported an fbx, and i have a folder of textures used (which I applied to the shapes which make up my basic building). I put these in the import folder and when I choose the model from the list, nothing shows up.

I've spent the last hour trying to find a tutorial but there's nothing. Hoping to find an obscure reddit post in the meantime explaining it step by step in detail.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Bit late but I was tired and fell asleep after having been awake for more than 24 hours to mod this game, but to answer your question:

What happens is you generate U/V coordinates by unwrapping the mesh. You can leave it at that, but a lot of times you'll want to move vertices around a bit to either use all the space efficiently, or to arrange the UVs more sensibly. Edges can be welded together, split, etc. but basically for this game every part of the texture needs to be on one "sheet" or file.

I getcha. I found a plugin called SketchUV. If I were to texture the model in Sketchup by choosing and paintdropping the textures i want, could SketchUV generate this one sheet UVmap for me? Had enough learning for one night.

I ended making a piano! Good fun, now to get poo poo working.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

No idea. I've always done UV/texture mapping the normal (less intuitive) way and the texture images pixel-by-pixel. Max iirc has what you're looking for I think, or at least its UV tools are fairly good, but I hated using Max and no longer qualify for a student license anyway since their requirements changed.

Cheers for your input - gonna hit the books and learn. Quite enjoyed what I know so far.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Enos Shenk posted:

I've also been tinkering with this. Since baseball fields seem to be wanted.

Started with the sandlot.

Reminds me of the Hey Arnold episode where they convert a vacant lot into a baseball field :)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
T

ExtraNoise posted:

Hey there Simosimo, this is a result of the FBX file having an improper/no UVW unwrap setup. As Noyemi mentioned, you'll want to find a way to generate UVs. And because of that, you won't be able to use repeating textures like it sounds like you have. You'll have to create maps (that look like this) where each "part" is flattened out and textured individually.

Go read up on uvw unwraps, diffuse texturing, and ambient occlusion baking. That should be a ton of material to get you started. :)

Thanks! The consensus seems to be sketchup is kinda sucky and it makes un optimised models. I've glanced at zbrush, maya and a couple of others in the past and sketch was the only one that made sense out the box to a 2D creative type like me.

I think blender is free so I'll look into it, as most folk advocate it. I have no problem learning from YouTube vids so I think I'll invest in that rather than sketchup.

As long as I can drag and morph stuff and the flat texture stuff is ok I should be golden. Christ textured cubes with an extruded face can't be that hard amirite

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409622671

SC3000 Microwave power plant!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've been working with a dude on getting my billboard textures in game, and they're now in the workshop for your pleasure as ploppables:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644461

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644557

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644660

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone know of a good platform to release textures? (like my billboards which I plan on doing more).

As you cant upload straight textures to the workshop, i'd like some sort of place to do it so people can see new stuff easily, as well as old stuff.

I'm thinking of tumblr, as I post pictures as 'posts'?

although I still don't get what tumblr is (people post pictures all the time and argue about what an xe is?)

A website is overkill as it's only a hobby, and facebook pages are too archival / crap.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Regarding water towers and stuff. When I get my head around modelling I'm so making those ugly natural gas structures that you see in the UK. The things where they go up and down , like big tanks surrounded by metal trusses.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Latest round of Billboard textures, feel free to use in your assets goons.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

It looks somewhat better in-game in a boreal map but yeah, the vibrance of it is bugging me a tad. Mainly I was worried about it looking too drab if I picked less saturated colours (and people on paradox plaza have been complaining about really drab-looking stuff) but I think I overshot and lost the effect I was going for.

Why can't I make stuff like this properly :(

e: also with my background it's a little tough to not pick really bright colours because last time I did 3D regularly, I did cartoon stuff.

Keep at it! The games got a really strong lighting system, one person might have a realistic lighting mod, and another will have some mad vibrant one.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Good luck sign

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410113692

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Just a quick one again.

I see 3DS max has a feature to automatically make auto uv maps. I'm gonna learn how to do it 'properly', but for the time being, can I still paint faces with materials manually, and run some action to generate these magic UV maps. Fuckin things. Jus wanna texture cubes :)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Eventually you'll want to do some manual UV editing to really optimize space on the texture, or to do things like giving a window lots of detail despite it being small on the building. It's annoying, but it can actually save you work because you can stack like surfaces together so that they all use the same part of the texture.

Yeah I see the upside, esp with repeating parts. So on a single texture, does it matter how big things are or where they are placed? Lets say a 1024x1024 texture has every part of a basic house, a large space for the wall because we want that information to not be blurred and a small spot for the doors and windows, and even smaller areas for misc stuff like pipes and guttering.

Am I right in assuming that all you are doing is creating points on this flat texture with everything on, and these points/coordinates are reflected on the model. So 'rectangle one', which is 25px by 200px lets say, this rectangle will be a part of guttering. I then select the face of the shape in the 3D view and then this 'rectangle one' selected area appears on the face.

I'm trying to learn after work each evening, i've been jumping between Sketch/Blender/3DS so my heads all over the place. The actual modelling is the easy part, who knew! :) Just wanna crank out some small props for the workshop, lets hope I can crack this poo poo soon.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Elukka posted:

It only matters insofar as the texture resolution on the final product, as you say. You're free to scale things up or down on the UV map depending on how much detail you need on them.

Great, makes sense. I think i'm going to go with blender as that seems to be the go to choice. 3DS looked wank

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Holy gently caress I hate texturing. I hate it so much.

I'm basically doing it a different way than usual, by getting right to the details because I know I won't want to add them in later. It looks okay so far but it's also a massive pain in the rear end.

Whats the problem, making the actual texture? Or jus lining stuff up?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Domattee posted:

I tried to build groverville within but I don't have any fugly uniques and I was too lazy to remove the greenery left between the zoning, so it actually looks too good now

grovervillage

featuring:
supermarket
two, yes, two, gas stations
houses
and a lovely little shaded spot perfect for absorbing exhaust fumes big city atmosphere.
also greenery (drat)

Really like this, i'm particularly looking forward to when there are lots of UK style houses on the workshop. Bungalows, semi detached houses, and the famous 'lovely row house' from victorian times. I can forsee some nice suburban 'culdesacs' or as we call them.....closes! This is where all the old folks will live. If there isn't a social club nearby they will die move out

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Gonna make some more city billboard textures tonight, anyone wanna see some parodies of a certain thing?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Dandywalken posted:

Doobies Dog House, please.

Tried googling this, I can't really find anything; although it looks like some sort of saga unfolded around it.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
New billboards incoming momentarily!

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 19, 2015

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Bottom of the last page, ooooooosh.

Today's Billboards!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

Hey guys, I finished a growable commercial building. It's high density commercial with a 4x4 lot. Parking and door's in and everything!

I like! The game needs more shopping places, not just buildings marked as stores. I remember a really cool supermarket in SC4 I THINK (Might of been 3000), I always used to mark them as historic.

I'm hoping we will see BIG shopping plazas (I call them retail parks), but i'm not sure if they will have to be ploppable or one off structures as you don't want to see half a walmart in your downtown zone.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Blender.

This poo poo is driving me nuts! I've gotten as far as wrapping a basic cube but moving the little UV net thing on the right does nothing, the video I was watching the dude was clicking on each face, and drawing a little area on the right and it updated each time

I also have a rogue little verticie for some reason. I tried to delete it and the whole thing just showed a blank grid ARGH.

Also the front of the building has my texture on but doesnt show a texture in the UV editor, I dont even know. Wading against the waves at every turn with 3D modellin'. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Noyemi K posted:

I could show/tell you how I do it, but then you'd never want to do 3D again.

Already there! I'mma punch a poo dam.

Gonna give 3DS a try. Just wanna texture a vending machine