Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
I feel like an elegant solution to land value would be to have lots that are being built run an imaginary line downhill. Every scenic object ( i.e. high level building, park, tree, etc.) the line passes would slightly increase land value, and every ugly object (i.e. factory, landfill, etc.) the line passes would slightly decrease the value. The line would stop when it hit a building with height larger than the initial elevation, which would model your view being blocked. If the line gets all the way to water you'd have a big boost to land value and the line would stop, modeling a waterfront view. It would also stop if it reached the bottom of the hill. If you had this running every frame it would probably destroy your FPS, so you could limit it to every time a building levels up or intermittently at random.

This wouldn't model things like having really pretty natural features far away, but it would encapsulate approximately how view affects land value. It would also create deeper gameplay, as you'd have to zone your buildings so they didn't block the view of the other buildings in order to maximize revenue. You wouldn't be able to see the effect of view on the overlay in advance if you did this, but it probably wouldn't be a big deal. The one downside is that it would only take into account things that are directly downhill of the lot, and not things off to the side. I'd make a mod that did this myself but I have no idea how Unity modding works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Probably adjust the profit down a bit as I think the current idea is that you get a bunch of extra money from them but they run out quick

So the economics of mining and oil are just like in real life? :v:
I do agree it depletes too quickly, though. That's a pretty easy fix, someone just has to find the number that determines resource extraction rate and mess with it until it's balanced.

On the topic of resource industries, it'd be neat if you had a separate zone for resource production buildings so you could get your farm fields etc. on top of the resource and the processing buildings elsewhere. It seems weird to me that CiMs will do stuff like build furniture factories on top of land that could be used for growing trees. You could also make it so that the production industry zone can extend farther away from the road, enabling larger lot sizes and therefore pretty fields and tree farms.

There should also really be higher-tech versions of the resource industries to make use of your educated CiMs too. Maybe you'd offset it by having the upgraded buildings consume more resources. I'll admit I really just want to see vertical farming skyscrapers as the top-tier buildings, though.
The game could really do with modeling the difference between air and ground / water pollution too. It feels weird having my fire and smoke factories less than half a block away from my elementary school with no ill effects.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

This would own, especially if I can recreate Habitat 67. :v:

Seeing that, it'd actually be really cool if there was a mod that procedurally combined smaller prefab units to make a building, like how Habitat 67 is designed. I don't know whether the engine supports that, though.

In searching for procedural buildings I found this page which apparently has a program for creating building models procedurally from photographs - it'd be really cool if someone could figure out how to use that to make buildings for Skylines

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Oodles posted:

There needs to be a succession let's play.

Bring on Boatmurdered the City.

This really needs to happen, considering you can name your citizens and buildings. It's not a true succession LP unless you flood the previous overseer's house with magma poop. Is there a mod to easily find citizens you've named? That'd make it easier to do this sort of thing.

\/\/\/ edit: I did manage to find FindIt, which lets you ctrl-F search for any named citizen or building, but I haven't personally tested it yet.

edit 2: anyone have good map ideas for a succession LP?

Penultimatum fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 9, 2015

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

zedprime posted:

I haven't found a reason to use anything but this

I feel like you "win" Cities:Skylines in the same way you "win" Kerbal Space Program- you make something as horrifying looking as possible while still fulfilling the desired function.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

popewiles posted:

I want a policy that will allow me to put bodies in the dump for a negative land value modifier. They'll get picked up by garbage trucks and everything.

I think it'd be kind of funny if there was a "recycling tanks" building that produced basic industrial resources from dead bodies. Basically I just want a complete set of mods for Cities: Alpha Centauri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I wish we could just build over top of graveyards. Didn't stop my city back in the day. A Chinese cemetery was in the way so they gave them a plot of land way out of town and told them they'd move the bodies. They moved a few of the graves then lied and said they moved them all, ancestors are all 100% happy in their new location. Turns out they mostly just moved the tombstones and didn't really move the bodies because they were doing some work building a new path through there and were hitting bones just 1' down.

I feel like this video demonstrates why that's a bad idea.