Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Sometimes it can be as simple as redoing a small problem section, often an intersection.
Sometimes it can be solved by just one way roads.

For all other times, there's master card spaghetti junctions.

We need a screenshot though, yeah.

I have actually had surprising success having roads that don't connect to the main road directly and have pedestrian walkways as terminators. People will often choose to walk instead of drive, so you can make areas denser than they'd normally otherwise support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Picked this up during the steam sale and have been loving it so far. I can handle traffic management for low density but once I start building a high density urban core I always end up with one or two roads just gridlocked. Any recommended guides to managing high traffic volumes?

A few hints I've picked up over several cities:
1. Adding more lanes doesn't solve bottleneck problems
2. The fewer junctions the better
3. The further apart junctions are the better
4. Highways and offramps allow traffic to freely leave/merge without stopping, make liberal use of them
5. Your city should have main arteries made of highways, with roundabouts made from highways, connected to main branch roads
6. Connecting a highway roundabout to a main road via highway ramps instead of directly eases traffic flow for some reason
7. Don't have all your industrial in one part of the city, all the commercial in another etc as traffic will have to go further
8. Put commercial next to industrial so the trucks don't have to go as far
9. Don't have retail and commercial on opposite sides of an artery because you will clog up the junctions
10. Install all the mods which make putting in bus/train lines easier.
11. The game does not punish knocking stuff down and rebuilding it. Make liberal use of this. Ruin entire neighbourhoods if you think you can make a junction prettier.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mods'll do it, but I kinda think Colossal should put in a hard mode. Mainly regarding finances in the long-term. Make finances tougher as the city grows, make knocking zoned buildings down much much more expensive, moving more expensive, and tunnels more.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Mods'll do it, but I kinda think Colossal should put in a hard mode. Mainly regarding finances in the long-term. Make finances tougher as the city grows, make knocking zoned buildings down much much more expensive, moving more expensive, and tunnels more.

The game has had a hard mode exactly like this since release, activate it via the mod manager.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The game has had a hard mode exactly like this since release, activate it via the mod manager.

deeeeeerp

Sorry

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've uploaded some of the Euro low density buildings I said I was editing. I finally got around to testing it, and it looks like it's impossible to set required items to be actual requirements with the Steam Workshop. You can just hit continue and not sub to a required item. As a result I'm not going to put them on the Workshop, so hopefully Drive works.

Here are the buildings I've edited:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415312809
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412979579
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198004696667/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx0wRGisCt_OTVyeWNMUEEyY2s/view?usp=sharing

MikeJF posted:

deeeeeerp

Sorry

Unfortunately I think that hard mode kind of sucks because it's really easy to "solve" it since the C:S economic simulation is so bare bones. It winds up playing exactly like the vanilla game, but taking longer and involving more loans. If that's your kind of thing, though, hard mode works well for it.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I've uploaded some of the Euro low density buildings I said I was editing.

This is awesome, thank you! :) Is there any way to get rid of the stock Ikea-brand Scandinavian Eco Paradise low density houses—something that's less of a chore than manually deleting each newly grown building until one of these pops up?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Vahakyla posted:

Traffic++ makers have found a way to make cars calculate the path while they are en-route too, to make the cars use all the lanes available and to anticipate traffic jams.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/39wex5/soon_single_lane_traffic_jams_yeah_we_fixed_those/

I tried making these BBCODE images, but no luck.

http://i.imgur.com/aT3xqgT.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/1ZtvoOw.gifv

I wonder what the devs think of this. This is pretty cool.

Well here is something I desperately needed. Maybe now I can find out wtf trucks like about this one stretch of road I have.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH
One feature I'm really, really missing from the XL series is the "infills" or whatever you want to call them - being able to place filler textures between buildings to fill out blocks that aren't a perfect grid.

I know there's Ultimate Area Fillers V2, but what it amounts to is a bunch of stuff with garishly eye-searing thumbnails haphazardly dumped in the Water menu, and since it's the water menu you can't see the actual texture while you're placing it, and it'll demolish zoned buildings, and at that point I might as well be clone-stamping in Paint or whatever.

Are there any good "fill this random non-square space with something besides empty grass" mods?

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Breetai posted:

as well as the joys of the game just loving with you.

The perfection of this info box didn't get enough appriciation.

16 over educated workers managed to start a fire whill trying to make ice cubes. At least it assures us this is normal and the building is operating normally.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They were clearly designing improved ice cubes and rigorously testing for integrity and heat resistance.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

CrowdControl posted:

16 over educated workers managed to start a fire whill trying to make ice cubes. At least it assures us this is normal and the building is operating normally.

a SNAFU ice cube factory

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Don't put Graveyards or Garbage dumps near highway junctions or main roads. Or if you do, make a little loop just for them.

Not because of traffic, but because if you need a bigger road or junction, emptying those two facilities is a pain. Everything else you can just move instantly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CrowdControl posted:

The perfection of this info box didn't get enough appriciation.

I have a coworker here who managed to start two fires in the microwave in two different sites during her tenure in the break room. Microwaves now have giant signs that say "DO NOT LEAVE MICROWAVE UNATTENDED" above them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we could just build over top of graveyards. Didn't stop my city back in the day. A Chinese cemetery was in the way so they gave them a plot of land way out of town and told them they'd move the bodies. They moved a few of the graves then lied and said they moved them all, ancestors are all 100% happy in their new location. Turns out they mostly just moved the tombstones and didn't really move the bodies because they were doing some work building a new path through there and were hitting bones just 1' down.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Trapezound posted:

This is awesome, thank you! :) Is there any way to get rid of the stock Ikea-brand Scandinavian Eco Paradise low density houses—something that's less of a chore than manually deleting each newly grown building until one of these pops up?

I'd recommend the Building Eyedropper Tool mod. It makes creating themed neighborhoods really easy alongside the control level up mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=438449058&searchtext=eyedropper
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198&searchtext=control+level+up

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eyedropper and level up control are probably two of my favorite mods and combined add so so much to really controlling how your city looks.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I have a coworker here who managed to start two fires in the microwave in two different sites during her tenure in the break room. Microwaves now have giant signs that say "DO NOT LEAVE MICROWAVE UNATTENDED" above them.

That tinfoil sandwich isn't going to heat itself up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In that particular case they put their frozen lean cuisine thing in the microwave for 35 minutes instead of 3:50 and then walked off to take a monumental dump. No significant open flame, but apparently the smoke damage from the smoke billowing out of the microwave into the office and nearby offices on the floor was enough to warrant a sign.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

pisshead posted:

1. Adding more lanes doesn't solve bottleneck problems

Depends. If you have a road where traffic is trying to go in three different directions (straight, left turn, right turn)with only a single lane then adding more lanes so that each direction has its own lane can help. But adding more lanes than there are directions to go won't do anything.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Using that traffic pathing analyzer I was able to demolish a few blocks of my CBD and set up a better traffic grid. Now I find myself wishing the game had desalinization plants because I've sucked the river dry and would like to start pumping water out of the harbor. Looks like I'm going to be putting water towers everywhere.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Soylent Pudding posted:

Using that traffic pathing analyzer I was able to demolish a few blocks of my CBD and set up a better traffic grid. Now I find myself wishing the game had desalinization plants because I've sucked the river dry and would like to start pumping water out of the harbor. Looks like I'm going to be putting water towers everywhere.

The water intakes will happily suck the ocean dry. Your citizens are only made sick if its poopy. They don't care about salt. Also, there's mods for that if you really want.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I just assumed the ocean wouldn't be a valid water source because I guess I've played too much Sim City (just kidding there is no such thing as too much Sim City)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
... Which SimCity are you taking about?

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I wish we could just build over top of graveyards. Didn't stop my city back in the day. A Chinese cemetery was in the way so they gave them a plot of land way out of town and told them they'd move the bodies. They moved a few of the graves then lied and said they moved them all, ancestors are all 100% happy in their new location. Turns out they mostly just moved the tombstones and didn't really move the bodies because they were doing some work building a new path through there and were hitting bones just 1' down.

I feel like this video demonstrates why that's a bad idea.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'd recommend the Building Eyedropper Tool mod. It makes creating themed neighborhoods really easy alongside the control level up mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=438449058&searchtext=eyedropper
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198&searchtext=control+level+up

That looks awesome. What house asset is that?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Got this during the Steam Sale, having a blast with it. Last night I figured I'd screw around with hydro power, dammed up a big lake but nothing happened despite the projected 150 MW's, so I demolished and rebuilt the dam downriver in a slightly deeper canyon. Cue flooding. After demolishing the dam I waited for the water level to fall back down but it turns the western half of my city sits in a depression, so the flood waters didn't go back into the river but just pooled around main street. After waiting for a couple weeks to see if the water evaporated or seeped into the ground I figured maybe I could pump it out! So I built a couple water pumps and drained the downtown swimming pool.

O.K., scratch hydro power, this map is too flat for it to be a good idea. But at this point I'm pumping so much drinking water out of the south river that the current is starting to flow backwards. So I move my sewage plants to the other river north of my city just in case. Right where second dam used to be. Cue flooding again, only this time with sewage! Now I can't pump the water back into my system or I'll poison my Cim's (I won't make that mistake twice. I had to build 3 new hospitals and 5 crematoriums and leave my last city on fast forward for 15 minutes before people started to move back in to my 50% depopulated hellscape). Disconnected power grids work, maybe disconnected water systems do too? So I built some more pumps but hooked them up to dedicated drain pipes and voila! I think when I start playing with mods #1 priority is getting some kind of dike or levee.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I made a new map, if anyone's interested. Got the Far Cry 3 theme stuck in my head over the previous weekend and one thing led to another.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=464595249

saber45 posted:

That looks awesome. What house asset is that?

It's actually a whole bunch of them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rik4000/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Finally got some time to sit down and plan a major expansion to my city.

Pre expansion:

Post-expansion:

One residential area with all services and full education later, and there goes my population up by another 5,000. :)

This game is getting to me, however. This:

seems to me to be a perfectly elegant and reasonable traffic solution, dagnabbit!

(The intersection at the Mill Heights Industrial complex is my first attempt at a Windmill intersection. I think I need to start pre-planning these things in the content editor.)

Breetai fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 20, 2015

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I haven't played in about 3 months but I wanna pick this up again. Is there an up to date must-have mod list? (I'm on OSX if that changes anything)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Poizen Jam posted:

... Which SimCity are you taking about?

3000 had fresh water (which needed pumps) and salt water (which needed desal plants).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing Skylines cares about is how poopy your water is.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Penultimatum posted:

I feel like this video demonstrates why that's a bad idea.
I feel like this would go well with a ghostbusters service mod.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lowering the budget gives you an increased risk of crossing beams.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

All unique buildings have a hidden randomly defined chance of being a massive otherworldly antenna.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

All that dormant ectoplasm that was safely spread around the city? Well, it's flowing thru pipes and metro towards Modern Art Museum now!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whenever I make a city, I pause the game, draw all the roads, set up utilities, zone land, and so on. Then I press play at let it come to life at once.

Except today, I think I realized the problem with that a couple of hours into a city. The Chirper/Twitter thing went off and suddenly hundreds of people were complaining about the smell of bodies in their houses. I zoom out and it appears that countless people are dying. The cemetery's hearses are all in use, unable to transport a sudden +200 bodies in the neighborhood. Even my shopping centers are plagued with corpses. Absolute mass death. I check the Health tab to see that only 5-6 people are sick (a mix of proximity to industry and this new problem). Commence frantic menu browsing to see whats wrong.

After discovering the Age overlay, I realize the Elderly have slowly become the #1 age group by a large margin. Their silent victory was coming to a rapid end, though. The overwhelmingly uneducated great pioneers that helped build this city have met with the fate we all share.

They lay to rest in my miasma-striken industrial park waiting for the incinerator to convert them to power.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Avocados posted:

Whenever I make a city, I pause the game, draw all the roads, set up utilities, zone land, and so on. Then I press play at let it come to life at once.

Except today, I think I realized the problem with that a couple of hours into a city. The Chirper/Twitter thing went off and suddenly hundreds of people were complaining about the smell of bodies in their houses. I zoom out and it appears that countless people are dying. The cemetery's hearses are all in use, unable to transport a sudden +200 bodies in the neighborhood. Even my shopping centers are plagued with corpses. Absolute mass death. I check the Health tab to see that only 5-6 people are sick (a mix of proximity to industry and this new problem). Commence frantic menu browsing to see whats wrong.

After discovering the Age overlay, I realize the Elderly have slowly become the #1 age group by a large margin. Their silent victory was coming to a rapid end, though. The overwhelmingly uneducated great pioneers that helped build this city have met with the fate we all share.

They lay to rest in my miasma-striken industrial park waiting for the incinerator to convert them to power.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421188880&searchtext=early+death
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=433249875&searchtext=early+death

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I feel like there's a theme to this page of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
Are there disasters yet or is it still an unfinished version of the worst Sim City?

Contrecoup fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 22, 2015