Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Chewbot posted:

Pimping my work. Color correction for everyone!

True color correction. Best on Temperate maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960822

Sunset color correction. Best on Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406958722

Future color correction. Best on Temperate or Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960231

Desert color correction. Best on Tropical maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408602076

And you can get the desert oasis map in that screenshot here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408599649

Cheers.

I recommend this chap's awesome sunset color setup for my Mars map : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408111134
(unfortunately not included in the screenshot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mister Adequate posted:

Hey yo just wanted to say your Mars map is probably my favorite of all I've tried so far, both stock and modded. It's got a great combination of features, altitudes, plains., etc that make it really fun to work with.

UNGH YESSSSSSSSSSSSS thanks so much. Little comments like this makes the 5 hours I spent on it worth it (no exageration because god drat that terrain was bumpy, and simply smoothing out would make all the ridges dissapear, so I had to manually flatten a lot of plateau at places I thought would be playable). I still want to see if there's any way to directly update the file on steam so people can have an updated version directly sent to them, instead of sharing a new file, as right now sharing an updated assets seems to be a bit... unwieldy/buggy, as far as I tried. Maybe I'm dumbo. Anyway, still planning on make the map a beauty pass for more buildable terrain and maybe look over the resource distribution.

Mister Adequate posted:

Following up on this, here's the latest shot of Ares Sector. The big snaking road down to the lower areas will soon come into play; I just needed it in place earlier because I feared it might be a significant engineering feat that needed a lot of space. Soon the city will start moving down there.

Also check out Poo Lake in the north :v:

Poo lake is everyone's stepping stone to that map. I'm glad mine is finally getting cleared up. I snaked down and finally I can pollute the BIGGER crater :getin:

"Here you go Citizen 43, your weekly oxygen ration."

PS: Also I just tried out Chewbot's DESERT color correction and it looks much better (IMO) than the Sunset one, so I'm switching my recommendation to that one.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 17, 2015

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Arsonide posted:

How do you guys deal with the early game off ramp? It is terrible and I hate it. I wish it was a 2 lane/six lane road or something. I would just bulldoze it and make something better, but in the early game you don't have any tools to do highway ramps or highways, and in the late game, you've already built around the lovely default ramp.

The game is fantastic, but this triggers my OCD so hard.

Just wait until you have the off ramps unlocked, then it's Mister B. time. IF for some reason you really have a huge traffic problem before then, just plug your roads up on your highways all disgustingly-like farther away and fix the damage later.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Westminster System posted:

Through Judicious use of trees and dezoning - including lots of 1 square offices that served little purpose now - I have finished insanity project one.

Big old roundabout as reference.

Essentially, my screenshot and future disaster mod anyone makes test zone is complete.

This is full of rainbows.

What's the population size? I saw there's an achievement for 100k, is that the max achievable by the game? I remember a maximum being mentionned...

//edit

^^^^^^
Got my response up top.

Another question: are unique buildings unlocked for all maps? And if yes, can you unlock them in one map and then come back to a map you're making? I'm asking that for the ones that require bad stuff like 20% health and 50% crime.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 17, 2015

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

HardDisk posted:

What guides do you recommend for people that used 3D Studio Max and found Blender's interface impenetrable?

Convert to editable polygon (right click on your object) is your friend with 3D studio max. That will be your first step in modeling. Then, and your biggest challenge, will be learning to "unwrap", which is basically "unfolding" the texture map so you can then paint over the mapping you created with a painting program (usually photoshop).

So : find tutorial to drag edges around (click on an edge and shift+drag when in editable polygon mode (NOT the same thing as EDIT POLY modifier) with an object in editable poly (you really can just start with a plane and go from there). Then unwrap mode, and then paint over your unwrap in photoshop or another paint program and you should be good :)
ADDENDUM : it's possible the models in this game use raw shaders instead of painted textures, which are less memory intensive, you'll have to snoop around modding forums for the game. That's a bit more finicky to assign to your polygons since you need to learn the material tool in 3Ds Max.

Keep in mind 3DS max is super old and crash prone and is a piece of poo poo (I model everything with it) I want to throw out of my house. Save often.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 17, 2015

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

HardDisk posted:

My English maybe completely broken right now, so I'm sorry that you misunderstood me.

What I wanted to say is that I already know how to model in 3DS Studio Max , including UVWrapping (I think it's the most rewarding part, since it's pretty much where things start to come together, so to speak). I wanted to get into Blender, since it's free, but the interface is impenetrable to me. Do you have any guides that you can recommend in this case?

~indie charm~ :v:

Oh, drat. Yeah no, I just started looking into blender too, and well: that interface is a cliff I still have to learn. One day... one day... if you find something, feel free to post for any wanna be modder here, I'm sure we'd all aprreciate (Blender, for those that don't know, is a free to get modeling application that's good depending on who you ask. I've seen promising renders).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All right just waking up from a migraine, gonna work a bit, then later I'll check about implementing the comments you guys said about the map, as I agree with all of them. I could definitely rework the starting position. I had put it there initially for the flatter ground. I can put it closer down to the big lake if that sound like a good idea? It's more central. The only thing that's going to be a bitching time is getting the highway there but I'll figure it out.

Anyway, I'll probably start cracking on my second pass tonight. I'm also thinking of putting a few more fertile spots, as long as they don't appear too much out of place.

----

Anyone tried the mod that enable achievements with mods? Because BY GOD I will get them all and so many mods seems amazing I'm torn up.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

PCGamer posted:

Yeah, absolutely, there's so many things to choose from, but I think most interesting ones are kind of those that... like the GTA V map, there's the Mars project.
Holy poo poo. Although I would love to be flattered, I don't know at all what they are referring to. Perhaps there's a team out there planning for a total conversion? I'll just flatter my ego right now and hope, even though reality is probably otherwise.

In any case, I'm working to finish the map this weekend. I'm a bit bummed that with what I've seen, it'll have to be a new file which people will have to subscribe to anew, unless I keep it the same name (which is somethingsomething BETA)

--- Now, I have a question, I saw a few people ask for more Sci-fi oriented buildings for the map. I was myself thinking about doing a few that were sci-fi themed that could be adaptable to different map styles or planets or what have you. Now here's the thing: considering this is the quality of 3D I can put out, and considering I also have to take the time out of working on my other projects (I'd probably do the buildings on weekends), would anyone be interested in helping me Patreon this up a bit? The stuff will be available anyway on the workshop, and I'll have done a few models before I even set up the thing of course so people can judge.

myshitty3dskillz posted:

(I consider the foresty bit to be poo poo in retrospect, but some parts of it to be passable for the low poly aspect of the path and texture work of that part)

One thing for sure, so far, I would never, ever ever have expected this game to have opened up such a world of modding possibilities. I can't imagine what the mod wizards will have done with this game a year from now.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

kefkafloyd posted:

Unfortunately it looks like Workshop doesn't let you publish updated versions of maps in this game to overwrite old ones. Hopefully they will consider changing this.

In the meantime, I've fixed my Springfield map to have proper water.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410774564

Do you mean it does it even if you keep the same filename? If so, what's the point of the big black UPDATE button :/

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Presidente! Welcome!

Popoto fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Sydin posted:

Does water pollution go away after a certain amount of time if you delete the sewage pipes in the area? I started a new city and had nowhere to dump sewage but right into the bay where I plan to build out the city later, but then expanded to a perfect poo poo lake. I'm not going to spend the money to move all the pipes/run power & piping to them unless pollution eventually dissipates, though.

I can confirm it does even without current, but it takes an awful long time. It also only did so after the source was removed (of course).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Here's a post with an image.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
So Mars map final form ultimate should be out tomorrow. Also I made a collection on which I'll add all the stuff related to it. I made a color correction thing for it tonight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411574600

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Was thinking of building a city on that map. Guess I'll be waiting. I feel bad that the Mars map will inevitably have a poo lake though, since your only starting water source is that little isolated crater(?) lake.

Starting location is moved in the new map. Also there's now current in the big crater lake. :)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MikeJF posted:

If you're not aware, monument unlocks are gamewide, so you can suicide your city as a different savegame then load your old one.

I made a city which I called ShitCity and had fun unlocking all the bad ones. It was a towering inferno.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Anyone has an opinion on ground highways vs elevated highways in term of initial map placement? I really like the look of the elevated ones but I know they come with some cons....

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MickRaider posted:

It's not much yet, but it's mine

How did you set your policy on oxygen rationing?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
gently caress SAKE I have to take a breather URGH I was DONE with the map. Saved it. Then there were TWO that showed up in the map files. Me being an idiot I decided to click delete on the duplicate, thinking I didn't want to want to have two in my list. WOOPS AFTER RESTARTING THE GAME NOW THERE ARE NONE :V

I have to redo the whole loving thing from the beta map. Someone shoot me. Fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I was LITERALLY at the stage of "quickly testing in new game mode" then sharing on the workshop I'm so loving mad now. That's six hours of work down the drain because of a poo poo duplicate error of the interface I did not know about. OH WELL. Life is life, birds are chirping and what have you.

/edit
boy am I looking forward to flattening more terrain :D

/edit2
Me 5 mins ago : finally I get to play the map I'm making :V

Ok I'm off before I implode more.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Welcome to Mars, Colonist.

Shores of Utopia Planitia

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413390689

FINALLY DONE, or as much as I can tolerate after yesterday's snafu. I think it's much much better now in any case! Here's the changelog:

quote:

----------- CHANGES FROM THE BETA MAP ----------

- New Starting location! You now start by the lake shore.

- Reworked resources map. Now all regions have resources to exploit. Mostly ores thanks to the fallen meteors. Rumors abound by biologists of bacterial deposits somewhere in the region?

- Currents! No more stale water for differing lake heights.

- Pine trees! More varieties to the forest areas.

- More greenery around watered spots.

- Flattened a lot of the playable areas (while keeping the plateaus) to make it less cumbersome to build through.

- Railway is now a bit farther because of the new starting location to reward expansion.

Also if anyone could tell me if there getting a negative cash bug at the beginning? It was fine when I tested before publishing, but it's just to make sure. I was getting - 3 million something for some reason, but apparently fixed it by retaking a snapshot for the game preview from inside the border of the starting area (don't ask).

Next to come : Martian architecture!

I'll start with a small spaceport :unsmith:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

xzzy posted:

I can't wait until people start hitting texture limits on their video card or some obscure Unity blowup because there's too many assets to load.

It's going to be fun seeing people try and do "realistic" mods and slap "2048x2048" textures on every building they can and then express surprise at the eventual lag.

Which reminds me I'll have to look up for some kind of building guideline before making mine, I'm not sure what standardization the ones in the game use right now.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Great map. Gonna try it out. Love the little roundabout for the start and the little "thumbs up" bay.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Bold Robot posted:

Does this DLC have anything interesting or is it literally just the natural disasters and their associated buildings? Like I didn't care about snow maps at all but at least Snowfall threw us a bone with trams. Is there a tram analogue here?

Scenarios with win conditions I believe. Not sure how they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RBA Starblade posted:

How are the disasters anyway? Blowing my city up was always pretty fun in Sim City, how's the expansion working out?

They're fun and a good break of routine, and make the game more of a game which is good IMO. The hit to your previously unlimited city funds is always welcome, the game is in need of money sink. I play with random disaster at the bare minimum, and they happen extremely rarely, which makes it of a surprising event. If you're a train watcher that play this game to micro manage their traffic, best avoid it.