Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Already passed 100 hours of gameplay. Helps that 3 people in the house play meaning it is almost never not running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

SwissCM posted:

Ugh this game is so loving good guys. Anyone visiting this thread out of interest, just buy it already.

Pretty much this. If the base game doesn't consume you, the modding will. Sky rim levels of modding!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I'm in this weird place where my city seems to have flattened out. Everyone's reasonably happy, traffic's not that bad, all my services are over capacity... but my RCI is zeroed out and new zones don't really want to grow. Any tips?

If you have zones that are placed instead of the RCI meter building up, they'll just build new buildings and leave the RCI at zero.

I think that RCI in this game is handled different to simcity. In Simcity it seems to be a graph of how popular zones will be where as in cities skylines I feel like its like a tank of buildings that will get belt if you have the zones for them.

Not sure though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

simosimo posted:

Pretty much this. If the base game doesn't consume you, the modding will. Sky rim levels of modding!

I have spent literal hours at work today clicking little green + signs on Steam Workshop so that when I get home I can have more buildings in my city.

Buy this game.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Drone_Fragger posted:

If you have zones that are placed instead of the RCI meter building up, they'll just build new buildings and leave the RCI at zero.

I think that RCI in this game is handled different to simcity. In Simcity it seems to be a graph of how popular zones will be where as in cities skylines I feel like its like a tank of buildings that will get belt if you have the zones for them.

Not sure though.

Its pretty fun using the paintbrush to swab in some new zones and watching the buildings spring up when you are only a lot or two away

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Can't stop doing :3: over this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412274658

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Duck and burger posted:

:drat: Didn't know it was that simple!

What are the default parks stats? I would also like to make smaller parks but I don't want them to be as powerful if they are smaller.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
I'm tired of playing whack-a-mole with my dozer. Is there a way to somehow deal with abandoned buildings non-manually?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Zoinker posted:

I'm tired of playing whack-a-mole with my dozer. Is there a way to somehow deal with abandoned buildings non-manually?

I don't bother with it. Abandoned buildings will rebuild on their own after a bit, it is only burned down buildings that won't.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Zoinker posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406132323&searchtext=bulldoze

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you autobulldoze, it won't tell you why it was bulldozed. Doesn't really matter because if you have a larger issue, you will see other signs like buildings complaining about not enough workers, or a dead person or that people are sick before it ends up being bulldozed.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Anyone has an opinion on ground highways vs elevated highways in term of initial map placement? I really like the look of the elevated ones but I know they come with some cons....

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

smoobles posted:

This Mars map made me wonder:

Is there a good space/Mars colony sim out there? Not RTS or strategy like Alpha Centauri, more like a traditional city sim.

I came here from the Kerbal Space Program thread, and what I really want in my heart of hearts is a fusion of that and Skylines. A city of Kerbals running around would be both entertaining and fairly accurate, given how I see vehicles moving around. Would need more explosions though.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Welp, something happened and I couldn't load any save games or even start a new game (black screen, loading progress bar forever) until I disabled "auto line color" mod. Posting just in case this happens to someone else, don't panic, disable mods.

e: Going by steam comments, I'm not alone. I guess the update broke everything.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408760323

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

cthulhoo posted:

Welp, something happened and I couldn't load any save games or even start a new game (black screen, loading progress bar forever) until I disabled "auto line color" mod. Posting just in case this happens to someone else, don't panic, disable mods.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409865621&searchtext=

TransportLineColorMod is the superior version anyway.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Are there any good "small" parks yet? ( or better yet, more leisure activities like Movie Theaters, Arcades, Strip Clubs for Industrial, or ANYTHING else. )

It bothers me that by the time people want parks, all the parks I can build are these gigantic block large things. They are like roundabouts and intersections in that them seem built for once your city gets to 3-4 tiles large, except unlike roundabouts and intersections, people want them when you are still 1/5th of the starter tile big.

Also super large parks for stuff like Central Park would be nice, rather then just having 3-4 parks next to each other. Don't need it yet, but once I get a few tiles large I'll probably be wanting it.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Oh cool, gonna try this one, thanks!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rookersh posted:

Are there any good "small" parks yet? ( or better yet, more leisure activities like Movie Theaters, Arcades, Strip Clubs for Industrial, or ANYTHING else. )

It bothers me that by the time people want parks, all the parks I can build are these gigantic block large things. They are like roundabouts and intersections in that them seem built for once your city gets to 3-4 tiles large, except unlike roundabouts and intersections, people want them when you are still 1/5th of the starter tile big.

Also super large parks for stuff like Central Park would be nice, rather then just having 3-4 parks next to each other. Don't need it yet, but once I get a few tiles large I'll probably be wanting it.

Have you tried searching for parks in the workshop? It only has 904 entries but I think at least a few of them might work for you.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

cthulhoo posted:

Welp it's not just me then. I disabled some mods then saved a game last night but it kept loading fine. Today I tried leaving them off or on and I can't load anything. I was so close to building an airport too. :smith:

Apparently I'm dumb and can't read. Disabling Auto-Line Color did the trick. It was time to graduate to the new Transport UI Mod anyway.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Have you tried searching for parks in the workshop? It only has 904 entries but I think at least a few of them might work for you.

Yeah just found that button, I was doing it based off "Most Popular".

I'm downloading a whole bunch of leisure stuff now.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is it weird I want a city builder in the Warhammer 40K universe? It'd be an interesting concept, instead of keeping people happy you need to keep them under the control of your iron fist all the while the Imperium of Man is constantly breathing down your neck. Screw up and Space Marines comes to exterminatus your planet. It be great for those who love building dumb dirty industrial cities. Hell, you're pretty much a godly dictator in these kinds of games anyway.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

cthulhoo posted:

It's an inspiration to us all. :unsmith:

e: Uh-oh.

It's like the train version of http://11foot8.com/

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Chewbot's winter LUT sure makes trees in polluted areas especially cheery.

:smith:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hmm. That's a bit of traffic. I wonder how far this go--

Oh...

:stonk:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

cthulhoo posted:

Chewbot's winter LUT sure makes trees in polluted areas especially cheery.

:smith:

I wonder what the developer's thought process was in making the polluted ground purple, other than being an easy visual cue for "hey this area is polluted."

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
It's not much yet, but it's mine

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 23, 2015

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I think there's a bug with train lines going out of the map because eventually they back up if your output is high enough. Why are outgoing lines backing up anyway? It doesn't really make sense.

:(

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I have a problem where inbound cargo ships keep lining up to get into my harbor - but only one of the harbors. Not the other one. What's going on? Would another harbor solve this problem, or would that just create two conga lines of cargo ships?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It doesn't seem like there's much reason to put out fires.

For important buildings like my coal powerplant, yeah I made sure that went out. But since fires don't spread and the plot will just rebuild after, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Spaced God posted:

Hmm. That's a bit of traffic. I wonder how far this go--

Oh...

:stonk:

This feels like home

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MickRaider posted:

It's not much yet, but it's mine

How did you set your policy on oxygen rationing?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Count Roland posted:

It doesn't seem like there's much reason to put out fires.

For important buildings like my coal powerplant, yeah I made sure that went out. But since fires don't spread and the plot will just rebuild after, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Actually the plots don't auto-rebuild if they burn all the way down, at least not without a mod to do it. The burnt down plots have to be bulldozed and cause a small hit of unhappiness in their immediate area.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
There's a mod that enables fire to spread if you're interested: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410234967

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

StarMinstrel posted:

How did you set your policy on oxygen rationing?

None for pod 6. Pod 6 is jerks

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Standard 4-lane boulevards are for scrubs. Drawing one-way roads and filling it with ped streets/parks grants a whole level of control on intersections.

World's tiniest functional roundabout without lights

Side-streets without intersection

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
ITT we post our favorite arterial intersections

Babby's first circle

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who left a pizza in the middle of the road.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

Skylines also isn't amenable to that particular degree of precision because it's not grid-based. Outside of prefabbed intersections, "optimal" placement of anything requires eyeballing it and praying your roads aren't off by too many pixels, forcing you to either start over or just accept that you're city's going to be messy.

Imagine a complete flat, barren map. Only two small ditches of water exist at the borders for infinite water/sewage storage.
Now imagine a pixel perfect grid stepping on the face of humanity forever.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Well, I hit about 150,000 people on my map, which means that the 3x speed is only slightly faster than 1x. I'm pretty much completely out of space to expand now.

I think I'm going to have to use the unlock 25 squares mod (300,000+ people atm in 12 squares) :negative: But I really want to try and get achievements :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Fishstick posted:

Standard 4-lane boulevards are for scrubs. Drawing one-way roads and filling it with ped streets/parks grants a whole level of control on intersections.

World's tiniest functional roundabout without lights

Side-streets without intersection

This is brilliant, gonna give it a go. Having a 4 lane become clogged up on both sides because of a side street was one of my biggest traffic bugbears