Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
If you've been in mourning since your purchase of SimCity 5, It is ok to love again. Buy this game and be free from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

Who cares though, I only bothered with that shitpile of a grognard "community" because there was no alternative. Now it's workshop all the way, anything else might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned. :fuckoff:

This. If I can't get the mod in two clicks from workshop I simply don't care that it even exists. Doesn't matter how good it is.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thinking about getting back into this game for a bit, but haven't played since around snowfall.

Has the "gameplay" improved much from the more recent updates? I used to always get so fed up with traffic and transit stuff that I'd bail on a city just as it was getting big enough to look good.

Any of the DLC expansions worth buying?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So I'm getting this really annoying bug where my screen freezes randomly while I'm building roads of some sort. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of road I'm building, and happens like once every 30 minutes. I can still quicksave through the freeze, but its annoying as hell.

I'm just getting back into the game, so not sure if this is a common bug?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I haven’t citied in a long time but my 2 cents is that traffic should have two facets. A background statistical sim that determines the overall traffic load, and then a low count agent sim that is used to calculate a modifier that reduces your throughput when the agent sim gets jammed up by lovely road geometry, crossing lanes, and stuff like that.

This way the agent sim doesn’t directly interact with the other economic facets and can be used solely at intersections to keep that free form road building element that makes skylines special.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I hate dealing with mods i play these kinds of games so sporadically that if I invested heavily into mods id never get the chance to actually play the game.

Ill research and maybe get one or two mods to solve major game issues like mechjeb for ksp or spawn-range resource packs for minecraft. Beyond that id rather just play the game as it is.

Im sure there are plenty more folk just like me, so sc2 adding in awesome mods in the base game will be great even if it doesnt compare to whats out there for sc1

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

The purpose of a water tower isn't to store surplus water, it's to provide pressure to a distribution system

Your not wrong but neither are they.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
As a vanilla player in all games the technical upgrades and visual upgrades look super duper. Cant wait for October.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
All the lane, sidewalk, and tree options falling under a separate upgrade system will be such a huge qol improvement.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Man I’m getting so hype for this. Gotta keep myself grounded, but after the failure to launch that was kerbal2, I’m hanging all my video game hopes on this one.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Anno posted:

Does anyone here frequent non-video game city planning/general city stuff content? Maybe it’s a weird question but, despite living in the outskirts of a decently sized city for almost half my life now I’ve never really thought about it came to be/where it’s going etc. a whole lot, and getting hyped for CS2 has me interested in the concept more broadly.

YouTubers, blogs, podcasts, whatever.

https://m.youtube.com/@PracticalEngineeringChannel

Grady has a bunch of good videos on specific utility systems for the built environment, things like water/sewer or electric distribution.

That electricity infographic is basically “the practical engineering channel video game” and I’m so loving down for it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I have a few year old rig with a 2070 and I’m still planning on jumping in on day one. Im confident in getting a steam refund if I need to, but I figure this cant be nearly as bad as KSP2 (which I did refund) so I’m willing to give it a go.

Ill post my thoughts on day one/two once i get a good size city going.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Issaries posted:

No. I want to play CS2 now.

Same. Its a city sim game, gently caress 4k gaming, if there is enough range in the graphics options that you can make the game look no worse than CS1, then all the new gameplay features are enough of a carrot for me to want to dive in.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
A lot of people complaining about FPS might be well served by turning off their fps overlay and just playing the game.

Playing last night on my 3 year old rig following the standard setting adjustments and game felt just fine. An occasional stutter when swapping infoviews, but besides that it felt no worse than cs1.

There are definitely some ui/gameplay issues that need polishing for sure. But compared to kerbal2 release this game is just fine.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Not sure if it's been posted before, but CPP has a video out yesterday called the Ultimate Beginners Guide for CS2. I almost didn't watch it because I felt it would be to basic, and at an hour length I didn't want to get bored out of my mind learning about RCI.

Anyways I'm glad I decided to click, he explains a shitton of UI tips/tricks to simplify placing roads/pipes and all that poo poo. I was a bit blown away, and will probably need to watch it a second time to make sure I picked up all the fundamentals. This really is a new game, not just CS1 with new graphics, and I think a bunch of us need to unlearn some old habits that is making adjusting harder than it has to be.

Watching him painlessly connect wires and water pipes, slope roads, and rotate ploppables to fit odd geometry had me going :aaa: more times than I can count.

Just watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZz06Etwm4

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Ive got a feeling that perhaps they have a gnarly bug with item/inventory transfer and supply chain stuff that they couldnt work out in time for release so they dropped in an abstracted global surplus/deficit mechanic so they could ship the game on time.

There is to much effort put into specific item qtys for them to just be fake window dressing as a deliberate design choice. Could simply be that the more fleshed out system was super imbalanced and wrecking the economic side of the game so they pulled it to allow more balancing.

loving played for like 5 hours straight tonight. Still scratches the city builder itch like no other.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

weird particular complaint: I really wish the displayed road length was still in those round units intead of meters. I had a little notebook with all the building measurements that made planning easier.

If you just mean having it track zone cell length then one of the snapping options when laying roads is “cell spacing” or something like that and will restrict your road length to 8 meter increments. Still have to use some math, but its easier once you figure out some of the rectangle sizes that work well.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

chadbear posted:

irl there are even gas stations with residential above, although they are getting scarce. Here is one from Vienna.

‘Grabbing my IBC codebook-checking fire separation requirements for flammable liquids dispensing and R2 occupancy.’

“Hmm cant seem to find that option for some reason”

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Am I missing something? if I edit a road with a tram spot, it becomes a phantom stop I can never add to or edit, I gotta delete the whole line and do it again.

You can. Once the line is complete goto the tram menu and click the route button like you were making a new line.

Then go to the missing stop along the route and grab the route line and drag it onto the stop like you would if you were rerouting directions on google maps.

I find it works best if you grab upstream of the route and drag along the direction of travel. It should snap right into the stop.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

the nebulous "efficiency" stat that is tied to funding instead of actual service effectiveness is so loving lame and lovely. a baseline elementary school has capacity for 1000 students. if i have 100 students attending it, and the budget is set to 50%, then the efficiency takes a 80-90% penalty despite only using what should be 1/5th of that capacity. it's like that for every service and it makes adjusting the budget basically pointless since a lot of them provide zero mechanical benefit unless fully funded

Every streamer I’ve watched has made the same comment so hopefully the devs get the hint and revert to simple capacity cuts for lowered funding. Especially with all vehicle based services having a vehicle cap per building just cutting that number down with budget constrains should be easy to implement and way more clear for players to comprehend.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The garbage bug explanation makes a ton of sense.

It jives exactly with the dev comment that the not enough customers bug is based on what specific item type that store is selling not being purchased properly by the population base.

Its quite possible that a lot of the issues aren’t bugs at all but simply obfuscated game mechanics.

Like they could fix the garbage bug by simply painting the storage capacity bar three different colors and editing some text on the modular upgrades.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im seeing significant improvements to transit use and commercial profit margins post patch.

But for some reason all my crematoriums stopped working lol.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq9uRwVLf6c

Short cool video on using submerged pedestrian roads to make harbor walls that can have grass right up to the edge of the retaining wall.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

piratepilates posted:

Another interesting nugget from the reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17o9bp6/apparently_the_game_has_ground_scatters_theyre/

Ground scatters. That long grass on the ground isn't manually placed, they're rendered by the game if you enable a setting through the developer mode. Seems to be unfinished, hence why it's disabled. Wonder if they'll finish it up at some point and turn it on, or if its an experiment that didn't work out the way they wanted.

Whoa. Hopefully this gets added in because flat plains areas look pretty crappy right now.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Barrier Island is my preferred map as well. I did go pretty heavy on flattening the main island since its going to be my urban core, but everything on the mainland is being left as is with only leveling plots when running up some of the bigger hills. Its a pretty good map.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im the opposite, in CS1 i didnt give two shits about my horrendous spaghetti stack interchanges. The stock road tools sucked so whatever. Now the new tools ate so much better that im wasting way to many loving hours making meticulously graded and curved off ramps.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I think the only real “need” for them is if you want to extend the reach of mass transit adoption. I definitely see a spike in usership when i put a few lots next to my train station that corresponds with them filling up.

I think they could be pretty handy to filter said traffic down a side road near the station that had a short pedestrian path over the main adjacent road, so im gonna actually go test that right now.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Cool trick I saw on youtube last night. If you want to add some large areas of flat concrete yards to your industrial areas you can throw in the stone quarry building and use it’s area tool to fill in open space. As long as you dont make them to big they wont spawn all the crazy excavators.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Cutting your utilities to 50% is gonna make it way less likely as that will directly reduce happiness. You need to find a way to keep your budget positive, cut res taxes to nil, and boost your services sliders to improve their bonuses.

So far the best way ive found to do this is drop geothermal plants all over the place and make bank exporting gigawatts of power to outside connections.

Also, tax the gently caress out of commercial because nothing I do seems to phase their demand bar whatsoever.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thread title should say ignore low density rci or something. I mean its kinda hilarious how it creates a huge trap to ruin your city with sprawl just like real life, but as a game mechanic you really need nuance on how to use it.

My city is at 80k right now I think and every demand bar is pretty much maxed full time. It is so much more important to spend time tightening up the happiness and finances of your desired density types than just paving away at the whims of the meter.

Also I’m thinking that when you open up the rci details window and see a negative modifier for empty buildings that this actually means buildings at less than full occupancy as opposed to actually empty/abandoned.

If I’m correct you can basically murder your high density demand for a long time simply by zoning a few 6x6 towers that can take tons of cims. Even more-so if your constantly slathering low density alternatives for them.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Also, I think my biggest want right now is the ability to zone warehousing and production industries as separate things. loving sucks to need some good employment opportunities for cims but all you get is endless blocks of warehouses because the game wants them for your specialized industries.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The mega gridlock seems to be a bug due to service vehicles not having the same despawn rules as cims when they get completely stuck.

I noticed that one of my buildings suddenly had a trash problem and when I flipped on the overlay there were four garbage trucks just a few feet down the road all blocking each other from turning onto the road from the adjacent collector.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Dont forget you can use the same straight road technique on raised roads to add new columns. I havent fully gotten the hang of it, as sometimes it will automatically remove the old column that was in the way, but other times ill need to delete the overpass segment and redraw it from the new column location.

Still a great tool for when you want to draw under existing raised freeways and dont want to break up your grid spacing/squareness.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
That chart is pretty insightful.

Looking at it, I feel like you would want to prioritize the industries that benefit the final level services over other dead-ends. So focus on rock, oil, and grains to insure those end users get the highest profitability.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Ive been running tunnels more regularly as of late. The janky park slide street connections like you have in that picture bug me too much even if cims will walk up them. Tunnels are nice because they can cross straight through the middle of the intersection, though they still suffer from the insane ramp distances required to make them look good.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Here is an example of my underpass ramps. For some reason I feel doing 180* switchbacks is easier in cut mode, where the tool doesn't try to snap to itself nearly as much.

For the measurements, I run a cross below the intersection at -18' with that ends fully clear of the sidewalks above. Then turn parallel with the road and go another 10' maintaining the level -18'. This prevents the cut/fill from accidentally eating the sidewalk right at the corner. From there go from -18" up to -11' as a straight ramp, and then maintain the -11' elevation when you make the first 90* turn. Finally come out of the switchback up to 0' grade.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 22, 2023

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So uhh, i think this game needs a way to see absolute elevation, using just contour lines doesn’t really cut it when you need to compare areas across wider distances.

I grabbed the custom map that CPP had made, and its pretty decent, but the water physics make managing the river that winds through it a total pita. I made a slight tweak to widen the river at one part to make a quay and somehow the engine interpreted that as a signal to spawn more water or something and suddenly the banks on both side of the river were overflowing.

Somehow the water engine must use velocity at specific sections to determine volume of flow, so even though i mostly dammed the flow upstream the increased velocity going through the bottleneck somehow made the flood worse instead of better.

Ended up having to bail myself out by unlocking all the map tiles and carving a new river through the mountains to the sea to relieve some pressure.

Even that barely helped so I don’t know wtf. No wonder they said they had to delay the map maker to improve placing water sources.

I’m half inclined to mod in the maker just so I can see how it work’s currently.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

it doesn't work currently. any river that you're seeing on a custom map at the moment is just the ocean filling a river shaped trench. you can place water sources in the map editor but they're nonfunctional.

Ahh. I think CPP just edited one of the original maps so the river sources are legit. I think he used one of the water heavy maps and filled in a ton of land which is probably part of the problem.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
It would be great to know if the high rent notification meant that the building was no longer progressing through the level up system.

Like I kinda think thats what it means, and I’m gonna watch a few of them tonight to see. Also would be nice to know if happiness effects leveling at all. It would also be great to see the profitability % on a building by building level.

Has anyone seen commercial buildings collecting merchandise to sell from cargo harbors or cargo rail stations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
What happens when you terraform it into a hill and then drop it back below the water level?