Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:w00t:

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/707402399209628903/4F77141FE887F6D98C9EFE3661FD728BB84E33FC/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409184143&searchtext=police

"Only ambulances, hearses, police cars, fire trucks and garbage trucks can use these roads. Commercial zones will not last long (no supplies to sell). Buses will be added later. "

:w00t:

Now there is a mod that allows pedestrian walkways to be used by public service vehicles. Police, Fire EMS and garbage trucks will use pedestrian walkways and you can also zone pedestrian walkways with buildings.

This is awesome. It allows you to build better neighborhoods without worrying about the services getting there. Plenty of European cities have walkable-only ways that police still use but no private cars are allowed into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Fire engines barrelling down the skywalks. :getin:

I used to drive down many pedestrian roads in Finland with a fire truck during friday night partygoing, scaring the poo poo out of blasted drunk people.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Alakaiser posted:

For all of its flaws, I did like SC2013's baseball field:

I really want a park that looks something like this. Feels like a very important omission for a real good small town aesthetic.

edit: I didn't realize just how similar SC2013's UI is to CS until just now.

It's a good thing since art and UI is where SC really did work and was attractive. Skylines took those and made a great game with them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Yeah that's right, oh yeah, look at that cruiser going down the pedestrian path.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

How do you get it to look like this?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is there a reason why there are no mods for ambulances, fire trucks and cop cars? I want them to change and there are no mods available.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My 3570k with a 660ti and 8gb RAM seem to be producing roughly the same FPS when I load the same save as my neighor's 4990k with 16gb ram and a 780gtx.

This is a non-scientific test but would point out that worrying about your mid tier i5 is largerly useless.

It being at 60fps when zoomed out and 30-40fps when zoomed in with speed.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Having a "car crash" event that is resolved with a combined response of one cop car, one ambulance and one fire truck would be awesommeeeeeee.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
But no runways.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I want mail service, too.

Besides that, why are there no mods for ambulances, fire trucks and cop cars?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There are also underground access tunnels under European cities that fire and police can use to get to certain places.

Helsinki has a tunnel that originates from the centrql fire station and goes all the way to an old town island that is only reachable by ferry. My step dad used to tell horror stories of old timey firemen driving the ambo with him as a rookie, going 50mph in a tunnel where you folded the mirrors. Cops also used the tunnel.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Those would be gentrified so fast.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Redditor discovers lines of code referring to Subcultures, such as hippies, rednecs and gangstas. New DLC coming?

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/382ujf/subculture_dlc_hint/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Traffic++ makers have found a way to make cars calculate the path while they are en-route too, to make the cars use all the lanes available and to anticipate traffic jams.

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/39wex5/soon_single_lane_traffic_jams_yeah_we_fixed_those/

I tried making these BBCODE images, but no luck.

http://i.imgur.com/aT3xqgT.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/1ZtvoOw.gifv

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Haha that's hilarious. It's like a proper mass transit haters dream, poor people pouring onto a lane.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Traffic accident could be a cool thing to require. It'd require one fire truck, one police car and an ambulance to solve and go away.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Cops don't do foot patrols.

They should, though I use a mod that lets them drive a cruiser on a pedestrian path.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The biggest city I've built so far. It's sprawled and not completely designed besides teh highway networks.
The airport is also a bit too small in my opinion, but looks a heck of a lot nicer than the default.

Rail Yard:

College Park:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 1, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm pretty proud of the central junction of my city, it flows fairly smoothly and provides many options for different destinations. It has connections to the port, rail yard, commercial zone, tourism zone and airport.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I used to wheel my blinky blinky car through the opposing lane in rush hour, and I skipped a lot of pedestrian paths, grass patches and parking lots back in when I was a cool guy. I have no idea how'd you simulate that in a game like this.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I use trains as above-ground metros and have no issues in them being jam packed by cims. YMMV.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I get that hearses are a measurement of your resources and traffic planning. But having them be postal service would've been more immersive.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Space filler from Cities XL was one of the most awesomr features

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Snow fall would be nice.

Also a traffic accident emergency. Needs one ambo, one engine and one cop to solve, slows down traffic until that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What happened to decorative lights? I can't find them anymore anywhere in the tabs. I have After Dark and Snowfall.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What's the best way to get american-looking roads right now? Any mod recommendations?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I used to have a district theme "Neo-Ecletic American homes" or something like that, and it made really loving nice looking american suburbs. But I think it is gone from the workshop now, and I tried looking for another one. Is there any good american suburb style district option plus building asset collection right now?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zero One posted:

Your airport is driving me mad. The runways should be absolutely parallel or more perpendicular. How you've set it them up is unrealistic because it would be a huge mid-air collision risk.

I won't even start on the tall buildings at the end of the runways...

The shortness of the runways was fine?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I made a thread for Transport Fever, the spiritual successor to Transport Tycoon: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772052
There actually isn't all that much info for it yet, despite the fact that the release date is not far off.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It is a valid point.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
These models would still not be economically impacting enough if we won't get construction times and efficiency.

There'd have to be trucks and other units that build every single road and building and overpass, with time and effort. Of course a shadow mode for planning out your interchange would be needed. But I feel likenp decision or cost will ever be actual decision as long as you can just fix a gridlock with pause button and money.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Snow is a bit too boring when it doesn't change. Having summer-winter rotations on the other hand would be the tits.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Every time I try to do the separate small towns thing I end up having a lot of issues with service vehicles racing off to distant parts of the map instead of staying in their home community. This causes a lot of congestion on the roads and leads to poor response times when community A has some issue but its service vehicles are all the way across the map in community C. Not a gamebreaking issue but pretty dumb behavior.

Same. This is what kills my scatteted cities, the constant stream of emergency vehicles on the highways.

And the small town itself suffers because it's only police vehicle is in downtown megacity 20 miles away.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That reminds of the the isolated Soviey mining cities. Like Norilsk!

It'd middle of nowhere, the highway doesn't actully lead out of the city. Only ships or planes come there, and most people use train and busses to get around.

Check Norilsk, Krasnoyska Krai from google maps for inspirstion, for example. There are plenty other similar cities.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
As far as gameplay, I think road safety should still be a small emergency. It creates a car crash based on "danger" value of intersection, and requires one fire engine, one ambulance, and one squad car to fix.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Dongattack posted:

I always thought that's what roundabouts did, but i don't know anything about traffic really. What is it roundabouts are supposed to do/help with in traffic? (besides looking nice)
Is just a simple 4way junction better then for high volume roads?

In real life, roundabouts also reduce fatalities and injuries. While round abouts are more prone to accidents than traditional intersections, the type of accident (fender benders or side swipes) are very unlikely to cause any injuries or fatalities, while traditional intersections have less accidents, but when they do, they are high speed t-bone and head on collisions.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I just check which edge of the map the currents go out from, and stack outflow next to that edge. I pump in from opposite end.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That right there is a great start to an amazing looking city. It now just all comes down to how you fill the areas between them. Your cities always nail the look.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Connect main highway to a small island that only has boat out of it to the real game area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
BaronJutter giving me a very Tallinn, Estonia vibe there.