Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Chewbot posted:

Ooh, that is interesting. I wonder what makes them use the inner circle. It's plausible that it finds a shorter path through the middle of the roundabout than going around the outside and prioritizes that. It's big enough that some traffic will find shorter routes along the outside while others are shorter through the middle. I bet it holds up well in high density traffic!

The inside goes clockwise and the outside goes counterclockwise, so if you want to go clockwise one or two highways you go through the inner roundabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

suddenlyissoon posted:

Also, apparently a laid-off Maxis designer is asking for money to make buildings for the Skylines.
It's the circle of life!

This guy's Patreon is already up to $132 per building.

For reals, though, I never realized what a crazy amount of work it is just to put one building together for games like this.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So for people who want to vertically stack roads, there's now a mod for that. Should be good for multi-level bridges and stuff, I think.

Why is there no thread on SA for ZZT and MegaZeux?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

cthulhoo posted:

Periodic dying is dumb, it's like there's no variance in cim lifespan so the entire block dies at the same time.

The game really needs to have some sort of randomized lifespan for cims. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to generate a random death date for each cim based on actuarial tables or whatever.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

How do you actually make updates to an asset you uploaded to the workshop? It seems like every time I save the modified asset it makes a new copy of it that I would have to share separately.

1) Edit asset and save it. This makes a new .crp file in your user Skylines folder in Addons/Assets.
2) Subscribe to asset on Workshop.
3) In Content Manager, go to the Workshop version of the asset and use the Update button.
4) In the new popup, use the folder button, which will open a new window in Explorer/Finder/whatever to a staging folder for that workshop item.
5) Manually copy the new .crp file over the old one in the staging folder.
6) Manually copy a new snapshot over PreviewImage.png in the staging folder.
7) Go back into Skylines and submit the asset update.
8) Delete the .crp file in your user Skylines folder in Addons/Assets to keep the game from complaining at you about duplicate assets.

It's awkward as hell.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Hopefully someone mods in orthographic projection camera sooner or later!

Well, there's an isometric camera mod.

StarMinstrel posted:

Do you mean it does it even if you keep the same filename? If so, what's the point of the big black UPDATE button :/

It's screwed up and overcomplicated, but you can update assets and stuff on the workshop.

You have to work on it locally (and work around any "same file / asset name" errors the game gives you), use the Update button, use the folder icon in the window it pops open to open the Workshop staging folder, then copy the updated local version over the file in the staging folder, then submit it from in the game.

kefkafloyd posted:

Maybe that's it, because there were no update buttons at all. It kept thinking it was a brand new map, even though it was the same map file, with the same name and it wound up putting up a duplicate. Looking on some other places I wasn't the only one with the problem, so maybe Workshop is just busted at the moment.

You have to submit it to the Workshop, then subscribe to the Workshop version to be able to update it. For some reason it doesn't consider local or modified versions of assets, maps, and whatever to be the same as the Workshop version for Content Manager purposes.

kefkafloyd posted:

This is just a workaround for the fact that we can't lay image overlays in the game map editor yet, or find some way of importing not just a heightmap but geological survey data. Many states and countries offer public domain vector geological data that displays accurate depth, height, and hydrological features. Hopefully these features can come to the map editor sometime in the future.

As a stand-in, I wonder if it'd be possible to take that data and convert it to a heightmap image or something.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

E: Also what do these fused grid things accomplish?

Walkability similar to that of a strict grid, but with less land taken by roads and less traffic issues because everyone's funneled through major avenues first before they get to individual blocks.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Is there a transit capacity mod out there? A small town will fill a max funded metro and a tiny village will fill a bus route, it's crazy.

Actually what we need is a traffic mod that just tones down the amount of traffic in general. Would this be possible? Like just decrease the rate that residential buildings send out people?

PopBalanceMod decreases the population for low density residential across the board but increases it substantially for high density residential at high levels (from a modifier of 160 to a modifier of 640 at level 5).

Note that if you don't add one of the other mods that increases transit capacity this will probably turn your downtown into gridlock hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

Am I correct in thinking that downloading buildings from the workshop fucks up your achievements, etc like any other mod?

I know there's a cheev mod, just wondering

Buildings and anything else that falls under "assets" works fine with cheevos.

If it's a growable building it'll even automatically show up randomly in the appropriate zones.