Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
First DLC should introduce the ability to nuke other people's "cities".

I have a weird fascination with building cities on very hostile terrain. So I'll wait for someone to release a mountain valley map.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
You would be an idiot to start a new project in Unity now, but it's a perfectly fine choice if you want to get a game out the door in a reasonable amount of time. All the grisly simulation stuff is going to live in custom code anyway.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I doubt it can be a flop. They've been pretty smart about marketing it, and there's a bunch of stuff in the game that wasn't possible in CS1. I am still quite interested, and everyone I know who has city builder brain worms is interested as well.

But there's no way I am buying this close to release.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I want a Norwegian fjord map.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There's "optimisation" and "optimisation". When people say not to prematurely optimise, they mean don't spend a lot of time manually unrolling every loop to eke out a few cycles in a region of code that rarely gets executed. You still need to build an architecture that doesn't do something inherently inefficient, because you may never be able to rebuild your foundations.

CS2 seems to be in the camp of wildly inefficient use to assets, which is baffling. Having a poly/texture/draw call budget has been with us basically forever. Like, OG Doom spends quite a lot of work to cull stuff, including how the levels are designed.

At least it should be fixable by fixing the assets, an inherently doable task. If it were an architectural issue it may be nontrivial.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Vulkan compute can do some interesting stuff in a vendor-agnostic way.

But most simulation work is of the annoying variety that is hard to parallelise and thus utterly unsuitable for GPU compute.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Causality is why we can't have nice things.

Anyway, it seems like CS2's issues aren't on the simulation side, but because of dumb poo poo like rendering people's teeth.

A part of me wants to take renderdoc to look at the game, but the sane part of me is already planning an intervention…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Popete posted:

So a good game at launch (on PC) whose technical issues were over blown by gamers? Why I never...

Not saying this games launch couldn't have been done better (I haven't launched it yet to see how it runs on my machine) but I tend to take peoples performance complaints with a grain of salt because for some people anything sub 60 FPS is a personal insult and for me I am perfectly fine with a game like this running at 30 FPS.

I didn't pay them no mind either, but on my 5800X3D with 32GB RAM and an RX 6700 XT, a machine that usually tackles anything I throw at it without audibly spinning up its fans, CS2 ran like rear end, and, with the settings turned down, looked worse than CS1, all while the GPU was screaming for air. The frame rate wildly fluctuated, building a cemetary dropped to 5 fps.

It's pretty bad. Put in a refund request and may consider it again in a year or so.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There is no doubt in my mind it would be mostly positive on steam if it didn't run like arse. The road tools are a huge upgrade, just missing a few mine adjustments (being able to toggle zoning), and mechanically the game seems fine. The balance is a bit off with cash rewards early on and very little resistance to sprawling.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Thank you, question 2, what is an arterial road?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_hierarchy

How to make hellscape cities, basically.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Commercial being dependent on proximity to customers makes a lot of sense to me. Large isolated commercial developments have been having a hard time IRL as well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Some person on Reddit posted:

Based on taking a bit of a peek with RenderDoc, it seems that almost everything is rendered with instanced draw calls, so you are correct on that. The bigger problem is that at least it seems that all meshes are always rendered at full resolution, there are no LODs. For example, a model of shipping containers that is rendered on top of cargo ships has about 31 500 triangles. It took maybe 5 by 10 pixels of the frame and had details that were definitely unnecessary at that scale. A lot of the models seem to be unoptimized just in general, such as having invisible detail inside the model.

It also seems that all objects cast shadows, even ones that are inside a building or just have too small detail in general to be of any relevance for shadows unless they're really close. Because of this, it seems that the shadow maps are very low in resolution, so the shadows look terrible AND still have a massive performance impact.

31.5k tris. drat.

I didn't plug in Renderdoc while I still had CS2 installed, so I'm glad someone did. Cripes.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
This is worse than "nobody tried a production build". This is "nobody ever looked at a profiler and nobody checked that LODs exist" bad. We are talking about foundational technology anyone who works on 3D games knows about.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Now you can finally realise https://xkcd.com/253/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kyte posted:

Didn't someone say they generated cims with a tool? If so they're p much limited to what the tool can do, and they definitely didn't have man-hours in the budget to manually make a new set of cims.

There's a dozen automated approaches to making LODs of arbitrary models. If the tool can't make them, throw it out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Man, I like City Planner Plays, he has a nice calm voice he explains pretty well, but I absolute hate the look of the cities he builds. I would never want to live in any of them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
In Germany, residential is just assumed to have light mixed use, i.e. corner shops, bakeries, supermarkets.

Red: Majority Residential
Brown: Mixed Use
Orange: Special
Yellow: Roads and parking
Green: Green

You will find shops in the red areas, while the brown ones contain bigger shops and some residential.

Specifically:

BauNVO posted:

§4 General residential areas
(1) General residential areas are predominantly residential.

(2) The following are permissible
1. Residential buildings,
2. shops, pubs and restaurants serving the area as well as non-interfering craft enterprises,
3. Facilities for religious, cultural, social, health and sporting purposes.

(3) The following may be permitted by way of exception
1. Accommodation establishments,
2. Other non-interfering commercial enterprises,
3. Administrative facilities,
4. Horticultural businesses,
5. Petrol stations.

§6 Mixed Use
(1) Mixed-use areas serve residential purposes and the accommodation of commercial enterprises that do not significantly disturb residential purposes.

(2) The following are permissible
1. Residential buildings,
2. Commercial and office buildings,
3. Retail establishments, public houses and restaurants and accommodation establishments,
4. Other commercial enterprises,
5. Administrative, religious, cultural, social, health and sports facilities,
6. Horticultural businesses,
7. Petrol stations,
8. Places of entertainment within the meaning of Article 4a(3)(2) in those parts of the area which are predominantly characterised by commercial uses.

(3) By way of exception, places of entertainment within the meaning of Article 4a(3)(2) may be permitted outside the parts of the area designated in paragraph 2(8).

Note the complete lack of commercial in much of the city. Commercial does exist, but it is what many city games call light industrial.

City builders utterly fail to represent the actual design of a typical German city.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I really wonder how a city builder might play where you can't just bulldoze poo poo at will. One where you are stuck with your terrible decisions until you get planning approved and stakeholders pacified.

I'd probably hate the game, but I want it to exist.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Cows with teeth, of course. Everything needs teeth.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

buglord posted:

Decided to try building a town that peppers in RCI gently mixed in with each other rather than having massive squares of R,C,I all separated into islands and connected by one fat road, which is something I’ve always done without thinking about it.

The results look surprisingly…organic? And pollution (both noise and air) doesn’t seem to be a problem if I’m doing some light peppering of industrial. When I have entire zip/postal code-sized industrial parks, it’s basically a toxic wasteland.

I don’t know if what I’m experiencing is a glitch or maybe just more rational city building.

Welcome to Europe. https://earth.google.com/web/@52.34211143,9.6592648,65.78881019a,1713.88445795d,31.56718121y,2.06167953h,12.83150884t,-0r

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I actually want the Dark Souls of city builders. :colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Subsidise free public transport by jacking up parking fees. :getin:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I am happy when a city builder, as the kids say nowadays, "transport-pills" people. Yeah, trams sharing track with cars loving sucks. Same for buses. Give them exclusive lanes and right of way so they will always be faster than the car brained masses enjoying their congestion and traffic jams. You can move a ton of people quickly, quietly, and efficiently. Next, use taxes levied on cars to subsidise free at point of service public transport. Use the reduced volume of car traffic to close streets to through traffic, especially those with street level commercial spaces. As people feel more comfortable staying on the streets local businesses experience a growth in customers and the neighbourhood becomes more pleasant to live in.

Oh, and you could do some of that in the game, too, I guess.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
RCI should be replaced with a meter representing open jobs / unemployment, and housing availability / demand, and resource production / resource demand, imho.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Macichne Leainig posted:

Not to mention anyone with the debugging skills to fix Unity performance in a production game title probably has long left the game dev industry entirely from burnout because they could get any other programming job with better pay and hours at the drop of a hat

The worst issues are entirely amateur poo poo. You don't need a wizard to apply 20 year old rendering optimisations that literally every single 3D artist knows about.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Needing a lot of elementary schools is fine and realistic, but the school having such a huge footprint isn't. Kiel, a city of 250k, has 32 elementary schools spread throughout the city.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I don't get this style of development at all. Put a few people on bug fix duty, lowest hanging fruit first, focus on bugs that don't involve the asset pipeline. Release a new build every few days to show that things are moving. It's TYOOL 2024, build automation is an old hat.

If your product is perceived to be broken, show that you are fixing it and people are generally much less hostile.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

skooma512 posted:

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

That's exactly how Sim City 2013 went lol

WHAT WAS, WILL BE; WHAT WILL BE, WAS

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Do they have a skeleton crew working on this? I really don't understand this act of self-sabotage.

Put one or two people on bugfix duty, push to prod weekly. A steady trickle of activity to show you are still alive, and someone has to work to reduce all the tech debt anyway. Might as well be public about it.

Seriously, what's going on over there?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'm totally willing to overlook rough edges. What I wanted from CS2 was CS1 with fixes to the systemic stuff that was too foundational for the old game to fix.

I didn't get rough edges, I got a bed of broken glass. 4 fps on an RX6700 XT and 5800X3D with the GPU running at 100% and screaming its fans, something literally no other game does. And the simulation didn't even work!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Grand Fromage posted:

You might want to check to make sure your computer's working right my man. You're getting less than 10% of the performance I get on a 3060ti and regular 5800X.

Unless it just doesn't work on an AMD GPU I guess, I don't know if that's an issue.

My workstation is working really, really well. The fans on the GPU don't even have to spin up for most games.

It's just CS2 that was incredibly poo poo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Paracausal posted:

I have this same card with just the base 5800X and it was running absolutely fine (avg 39.2fps per adrenaline). Might be something else causing bad performance.

Nope, it's the game. Others run at a cool 120fps at 2560x1440. CS2 couldn't even hit that in the menu.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

They still haven't even fixed the bug where paradox launcher makes the game count as still being open and running. I think they need that lie themselves, to power through whatever demons they've created for themselves.

That's just how Steam works. Steam launches the executable specified for the game and as long as it or its children run it counts as the game running.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'd almost bet that it's easier to implement dogs by subclassing citizens and stubbing out some behaviour than by having them be separate. And having pets on the streets this way would be easy to implement while adding some visual flavour that you need in a city builder to look organic.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
It's the only communication coming from CO, so it's hardly surprising that people talk about the only thing CO is doing.

The idea that CEOs are above posting through it has been conclusively disproven in recent years, see Twitter, or tumblr right now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I still maintain that putting one or three people on low hanging fruit bugfix duty and pushing out a release each tuesday would have completely turned around public perception.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I play some Vintage Story to relax after a stressful workday and the volume and frequency of stuff being done in that game is hilarious to compare to CS2: https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Bed Bath and Beyond is going to crush Colossal Order.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Their processes must be in absolute shambles if it takes this much effort to release fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Other projects manage to release small fixes in rapid succession. It's purely a process issue. See Warframe or Guild Wars 2 for examples with more players and higher complexity.

If a project can't have a few people do code cleanup and small bug fixes without interrupting larger feature work: Also a process issue.