Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nielsm posted:

Are the resources still exhaustable in C:S2 ? At least farmland should not, and trees are replanted.

if they want to go all-in on simulation they should make both farmland (in the form of arable topsoil) and fresh water depletable at the most "realistic" end

overexploitation of both is currently occurring in the real world and it would be cool to provide the player with options to attempt to address the situation with different trade-offs as long term strategy. like maybe you choose to limit agricultural use in order to conserve water for the city, or remediate agricultural land in a way that risks polluting the water source you're using

maybe changes the nature of the game but an expansion pack would be a cool place to explore these mechanics. I don't think I've played a city builder that has you attempt multi-decade goals

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I finally got around to starting this game after letting things settle a bit with patches. Found lots of interesting bugs lol

- elevated road networks seem to collide with HV power lines when you try to build across their path. causes weird spaghetti bendy roads

- bought some tiles on the edge of the map to build a stone quarry. noticed that people were apparently taking taxis to work there so I built a bus line. now apparently everyone from out of town in that direction makes a beeline for that bus stop because it's the closest bus stop to their corner of the map?? there's now a 5 mile long line of taxis slowly dropping people off at the quarry bus stop

- tried to build a pedestrian focused city and was pleasantly surprised that you could run bus lines on the pedestrian mall. not so pleasantly surprised that it seems like bus stop "direction" on pedestrian malls seemed random and that adding tram tracks to the mall caused the stop to flip direction without warning, completely scrambling my routes. the tram malls are nice

definitely needs more time in development but I'm looking forward to a future where I can ban cars and have mid-density mixed use :stoked:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 11, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Nobody wants to work anymore, the simulation is too realistic.

people on the radio keep freaking out about crime waves and every time I check the crime stats it's like "3 crimes". not gonna build multiple police stations for a town of 4,000

Chirper and the radio are starting to give me Nextdoor vibes which is immersive and realistic :shrug:

e: also for some reason people are super sensitive to healthcare? do clinics absolutely need to be hooked up to non-pedestrian roads? seems like ambulances are buzzing around and I built two clinics, which I thought was excessive, but it didn't seem to stop the chirper messages. industry is downwind

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 11, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

turn off the TV posted:

They're mad that they aren't covered by a healthcare building's happyness radius thing.

ah thanks. I'm playing with progression turned on (which feels like a mistake now) and dedicating an entire city block to a huge lot with parking is crazy

I wish you could put in service buildings as the ground floor for mixed use zones. I think there was a mod pack of invisible and collision free service buildings for CS1 that tried to fake that

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tehsid posted:

Seems realistic to me!

this game should double down on representing media. get rid of demand bars and replace them with op-ed articles in different publications lamenting the situation du jour. the articles could invent characters representing interest groups and you could implicitly support or ignore them by your actions

they could even use a local language model to randomly generate the article text! buzzwords!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

this is the kind of mixed use we need in this game

https://twitter.com/tphuang/status/1723712004416733336

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nielsm posted:

Bus lanes are near-useless since they get used as regular turning lanes anyway.

there also seems to be a bug (or deliberate "drivers breaking the law" mechanic) where long stretches of bus lane will cause traffic to inexplicably weave between the regular traffic lane and the bus lane at network nodes

for an example, add a bus lane to the long two lane suspension bridge on the Barrier Island map. it's better for busses than getting stuck in traffic 100% of the time but not by much

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

piratepilates posted:

I kinda find the inclusion of deathcare in these games weird, since that's not really a municipal level concern as far as I know, and not something that I really find fun to deal with? It's another thing you're technically put in charge of, but there's nothing for you to do except build another building to send out agents to deal with it.

if they wanted to keep the death wave mechanic they should have deaths handled by hospitals and ambulances. could model population health via pollution or disease that way as well

it's like CO have the spark for systems that can result in a bunch of cool scenarios with depth (for example, how do you manage a shock event like a pandemic) but they cut themselves short because it would be inaccessible to people that don't want to care about it

why not have a difficulty screen a la W&R:SR choosing what you want to care about? you can choose to make water treatment infrastructure or just fiddle around making nice parks. privatize everything else :shepspends:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 15, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nielsm posted:

But maybe some kind of petition system would be better for these:

I like this idea a lot. Imagine if they took it one step further and set up some actual stakes for economic development

"A major real estate developer wants to purchase this parcel of land that is currently occupied by low income cims to redevelop into high end offices and condos."

accepting will place a zone blueprint with roads that you must service with goals and penalties, grants you a substantial bonus to real estate values in that area, attracts higher wealth cims, increases building leveling, causes higher crime rates, contributes to homelessness if you don't build adequate affordable housing, decreases happiness for a time, and reduces usage of public transit in the area in favor of private cars

declining may cause a media campaign denouncing your city for a while, diminish your ability to attract higher wealth cims, and slow the growth or development of zones, but might increase the attractiveness to certain groups in return and make it easier for small businesses or social groups to form in your city

one can dream

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably if you keep telling the property developers to gently caress off the game eventually opens up a copy of workers and resources :v:

that game truly won me over when it became clear with enough planning you can just opt out of bad traffic by never giving people cars. I just wish you could go maximum (S)E Asia and pump out bicycles for your populace

I would love to have depth approaching W&R but the road and transport tools of Cities Skylines. there's a lot that's good and also a lot (especially the road and pedestrian tools) that's really jank

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

speaking of the cell mast idea, it would be cool if they took the upgrade-in-place feature and added it to every building

like, you can click on a large building of a certain size and get the option of a cell mast, underground parking, post box, police kiosk, clinic, subway station

click on a low density residential building to get an ADU or something

lol posting all these big brained ideas like CO will ever do them

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Ether Frenzy posted:

My automated car park is right in the busiest/heaviest traffic area of my 150k city, it usually has about 16 cars in it.

how much street parking do you have?

I've tried to build a city with almost no street parking (mostly ped malls with trams and alleys for zoning, wide sidewalks on streets for arterial roads) and cims are desperate for parking. I relented and built two of the underground structures and they fill up immediately (and cause a huge traffic jam when they do)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nielsm posted:

That's some drat thick smoke coming from a factory producing food from vegetables and livestock. Are they using wood fired stoves or something?

maybe they're making kippers

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ntan1 posted:

Just putting this here for now.

Here's one of the worst intersections so far.

Here's the actual worst intersection:

now all the chirper messages will be "chesaaa!! :argh:"

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

put all the poop outlets in hunters point and then zone a bunch of affordable housing there

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

MikeJF posted:

Patch getting rid of teeth (and other performance improvements) on the 18th.

should introduce a "dental care" stat as a joke

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Simcity 4 still holds up gameplay wise but i do pine for better transit and bike / ped handling

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's all there via the NAM but only if you're OK with painstakingly placing everything one tile at a time

yeahhh NAM is amazing for what it does especially considering the mod tools available but it can't overcome fundamental limitations with the game engine so I've found all the ploppable stuff to be really fragile

and i could never understand how to use any of the fractional angle stuff

it's been a while since i did a modding pass so maybe i need to update NAM

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 11, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mandoric posted:

It's worth noting that this also just added something like a scenario mode, and that the main official scenario is essentially post-WW2 redevelopment and integrating existing self-sufficient peasant villages (with a lot of hand-placed features--say, a couple clicks up the road from the recommended start are a few old fields and hedgerows showing where more once were) into utility grids and larger-scale logistics. Definitely worth a try if you're interested in either of those, with the caveats that the game itself isn't particularly interested in historic buildings except as stocks of population to connect up and that modders don't seem to have really touched the scenario tools yet.

Churches are functional, though possibly more properly put as "dysfunctional"; I believe it's a similar curve to alcohol, except trading loyalty rather than health for happiness.

have they fixed the issue where villages start "waking up" and degrading when you're nowhere close to being able to service the population? I tried playing these inhabited maps before and the villages had mass exoduses because I couldn't give them food or healthcare from the other side of the map

also simcity 2013 was pretty good for the first 2 hours of gameplay :mmmhmm: guess how long the public beta was?

I did like chris tilton's music. all the simcity soundtracks were excellent

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

skooma512 posted:

I was this close to putting Magic City from SC3K on a playlist for my wedding. I ended up settling on one of the tracks from The Sims 1 Build Mode :v:

just imagining this playing at a wedding :mmmhmm:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4UrSPj8iyHs

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

simcity 3000 art and jazz with sc4 directional zoning, mixed use zones, and NAM :pray:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there ways to get regions besides the one the game ships with?

you can get heightmaps from places like simtropolis. they usually come with a config.bmp which has colored pixels corresponding to the size of each city tile

you make a new folder in your Documents/SimCity 4/Regions folder with the name of the new region and drop the config.bmp in there

then you launch the game, open the region (which will have the tile config specified by config.bmp but no terrain), then press ctrl-alt-shift-r (or some combination of those keys) in the region view which brings up the jankiest looking open dialog box

then you navigate to the heightmap jpg you downloaded and it iterates through every city in the region and terraforms them to fit the heightmap you downloaded

it's really hacky and not-documented and you might need to do some terraforming (like height adjustments) after the fact but it's the closest thing I know

edit: should use SC4Mapper instead if you're running the game on Windows https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1p7xBZs4g

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 2, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

have they added bicycles yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Dunno-Lars posted:

That would be lovely utopian. All roads are service roads and the main income of the city is fining anyone with a car.

ftfy :allears: