Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

simosimo posted:

I can already see it's terrible way to do it. For such a simple object (basically a modified cube!) there's way to many parts on the texture and it would be impossible to adjust. Even a slightly more complex object would be a mess.

Just to say I did a model, I upgraded the low rez texture with some higher rez bits. I had to take the flat map and magic wand tool EACH segment and paste the texture into each layer. What a mess. Still, GREAT to texture a model from scratch.

All of those wooden strips! Impossible to nudge if you didn't have a saved Psd of the texture.

Now I need to create a single map by myself (basically 4 textures on a 1024x1024 tile) and apply that to the faces manually on my object of choice.

I think I say the same thing every post?

So a UV map, is the flat texture right? What are the actual plotted points called where the modelling program is drawing this single texture from. UV wrap? Want to get my terminology right.

That's the process I need, the pointing the plots of my single texture. I need a rest.

The plotted points are called the uv map or the uv coordinates. The flat texture is called a texture map. You need to get a good uv mapping for games tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A lot of the exits along I70 are like that, I'm actually surprised that the west Lawrence exit isn't connected to a roundabout as well, although there's one on Clinton, two or three by the Legends, and about a billion between Clinton and 6th. Weest Lawrence is pretty much roundabout central though, I think I drive through at least two every time I leave town. Even some of the rural highways are starting to get roundabouts, I think that 50 has at least two right now. I have no idea what is going on in this state.

What's going on is a nationwide trend of switching from signaled intersections or 4-way stops to traffic circles because they are literally objectively better in every way.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Not when your city decides that it's insanely cool to grow tallgrass and plant bushes and trees in the center of them.

Haha, well then you'll be glad to know that traffic circles reduce injuries during accidents by around 80% over regular intersections.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Salt Lake City is a similar place. You can drive the through it in like 15 minutes on a freeway.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think he's talking about the movie San Andreas?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

This is the same company that brought us Greenlight. Their hearts are really in the right places but sometimes they haven't thought all their ideas through completely.

I wish more companies were willing to and the market more forgiving about experimenting and screwing up publicly in order to collect actual data. Sitting in design meetings at work there's such a need to pull the needle out of the haystack first try that you lock up and go with what's already known at the expense of potential.

Edit: I thought this was the Steam thread but whatever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Washington DC also has crazy spiderweb streets.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Moscow is still standing.

I lived in Moscow for a summer and this is debatable.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Utah started installing those en masse a few years ago and they do their job and no one hits anyone on them. You and your neighbors will be a-ok. We have even more confusing intersections (like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6821204,-111.9811503,18.04z ) and people learn.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 24, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BBJoey posted:

why is everything a grid

Utahns pride themselves on their precious "grid system" where all roads are denoted by their coordinate number and addresses take the form of "210 south 400 west" type coordinates so you theoretically don't need a map to find a place.

It rarely works out that way though (for example I live in "Kirkbride Avenue" so no one ever knows where the gently caress I live), so usually I just curse it, but it's a matter of pride since Brigham Young came up with it in the mid 1800s or something.

I grew up in southern California where everything is a curved road, so I hear you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Subyng posted:

Everytime I think suburbia where I live is bad, I just think "the US exists" and know that it gets so much worse and be grateful.

You're not wrong, but at least here in Utah, we are surrounded by and within a 15-minutes drive from some of the most beautiful mountains in America.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I imagine car models out of sketchup would be grossly unoptimized for a tiny car on a tiny street in Skylines.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Seems pretty high. I would say 500-900 triangles max. (Triangles is the count that matters). They need LODs I assume as well, and those should go even lower, down to 50 tris or less. You can get free programs that generate LODs though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok finally got this. Should I just go and add the top 20 "most subscribed" mods?

Also: what buildings or facilities or visual mods do people want most?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Remmiz posted:

The one thing I really want is to have my city feel alive. I want events which draw tourists and causes traffic increase, parades, disasters (of course), and other things which make my cities feel more dynamic. More themes and transportation types would be cool but I just don't find the lasting enjoyment from those.

That was stuff I really liked in SimCity. Stuff like the concerts and sports events and such felt pretty awesome as you watched it unfold and tried to manage things.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I liked the gameplay/progression stuff that they had in the most recent SimCity. Stuff like buildings that I could upgrade over time or buildings that had an event once a week like concerts or sports matches; things where I could watch a special circumstance test my city, see where the failure points were, and then react to to prepare for next time. I think things that you could opt into or out of (unlike disasters) like "Would you like to make a bid to host the Olympics in 10 years?" that would give you a big list of things you needed to organize in facilities and infrastructure would be really neat.

It sounds like there needs to be a bit more game in the game, is all. If they aren't gonna go full zen garden and flood the game with really granular tools to build parking lots and sea walls and chain link fencing and stuff, that is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They tend to come more often, too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

comaerror posted:

Chirper owns. gently caress the haters.

Also, re: grids. I've been firing up google earth and looking at some real life not-grid-cities for examples. Paris seems like a pretty good place to model a non-grid city on, while still maintaining mostly straight roads if one is bad at curvy ones.

Washington DC is good for this as well.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I was skipping around and landed on the 16:00 mark where he goes on a 2 minute excited (for him anyways) rant about "slinging class A drugs on mainstreet USA" comedy gold wtf

He makes up little stories and vingettes like that all the time. It adds some silly flavor to the city and its all pretty lighthearted.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Depressing park doesn't have nearly enough random metal pipes extending from the ground into nowhere for my taste. Great to see The Motherland Calls there!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That reminds me.. I wonder if one could make an above-ground water pipes mod...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fasdar posted:

So I'm a big fan of The Motherland Calls and other giant statues. Does anyone know why exactly there aren't more monumental sculptures available? Is it the triangles? I've heard something about triangles.

It takes more tris and such to make them look good, but they're doable. It's much easier and much quicker to model buildings than organic figures, though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rent some amazon cloud servers and devote multiple cores per lot on the map.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress I don't know what I'm doing and sort of hate blender, no matter how many tutorials I watch, super basic interface/editing things I want to do I can't figure out and I have no idea if I'm modeling "right"

Trying to make a little boring building but when I got to UV unwrapping I realized everything is a mess of edges passing through faces that aren't actually subdivided and all sorts of messy geometry that isn't put together right.

Is this your first 3d modeling package you're learning? If so, the interface of any of them will be daunting and make little sense until you internalize it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, that's not just a Blender thing. Once you learn it you never have to learn it again though!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I do poo poo in vector before importing to photoshop and eventually to engine all the time. No one cares about work flow except other artists. Just do what works. :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As an artist who works in games, lol at everything he said.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

You're kidding.

I would sooner pay 5 dollars for some loving weather that isn't the same square texture repeating over and over in multiple layers (there's seriously so many good, efficient ways to make realistic video game snow and they used none of them)

Do tell!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

use a larger texture (or, you know a noise based shader or something), it's 2016, most of us have 4GB+ of VRAM :ssh:

I guess they could do some toggleable settings, but I doubt that the majority of Cities Skylines have 4gb of vram.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I did enjoy some of the subtler gamey elements of the latest SimCity. Things like concert events and even the day/night rush hour cycle gave a good tug of war between city bonsai and problem solving.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Most of the fancy stuff isn't yet scaleable to real-time content like player-placed buildings. A lot of the really fancy lighting in games is still baked in, for example.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The most realistic-looking cities will always be the ones where most everything is planned and laid out by hand block by block and lot by lot because that's how real cities are built over time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

to make something like that you'd have to place 100s of props by hand though right?

Just like they do in real life, basically.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sips had some good Cities Skylines series but that's more because I like watching sips and he makes up stupid backstories for everything.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are several things that are making an optical illusion of a slope, but I think the main culprit is that road in the back on the left. It's actually straight and then curves slightly to the left but it looks like it's completely straight but starts going down an incline. The texture repetition on the grass behind it gives it away though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

Turns out my :pseudo: worked more like :science:

I think the end results are much better than what I would have gotten had I tried to place trees like this myself, and on a map with fewer mountains it would be a pretty quick set up.

This does look good but the tree density looks inverted to me. Water runs into valleys and troughs which means vegetation growth is denser in the low folds and more sparse on the ridges.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

True that!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Makes sense, everything in real cities is hand-plopped too..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I agree. The next city builder is gonna be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SimCopter was the better of the "Visit your city in 3D!" sim games.