Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beartaco posted:

I saw a youtube video a few months back which used this game to tell a story about motorways being built through cities; talking about Mrs Johnson down the street and how the local bank won't lend to her. I'm not sure if it's part of a series or if it was just a one off. Does anyone know the video I'm talking about?

a dozen goons wistfully look off in the distance and mutter "franklin..."

(It's donoteat01's franklin/power politics and planning series, both are done in the context of a fake philadelphia made in CS, franklin focusing more on the growth of american cities (Again, philly centric) and PPP on more modern topics that he got impatient waiting for. it's mostly done now, as he has moved on to working on his podcast)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i think if grades and stuff actually mattered for water and power (like in real life) it would be more interesting. also you would have a reason to have water towers to supply water for people up in the heights. needing pumping stations, transformers and poo poo would be more interesting

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Having some way to implement lots as a concept separate from buildings would help. Maybe through more granular density where you can have a medium or high density single family residential district, that automatically makes lots barely larger than the house. Procedurally generated buildings are probably going to look like poo poo for the foreseeable future, but procedural lots would be much easier. Mix and match from a pool of appropriate props, with a BOB mod like ability to edit those on the fly if you don't like them.

this is basically how sc4 works so its not impossible to implement in a theoretical cs:2

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i was watching city planner and he started a retro series with sc4 and there are two things I forget i missed:

- Landfill zones. it makes way more sense! hopefully it gets picked up by whatever the next king of sim city mountain is.
- watching little dudes do construction :shobon:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I really like the new ped areas, though they are hilariously overpowered.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Without them how else are you gonna recreate dayton realistically?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

I have some faith in Paradox about that because of how they handled Crusader Kings II --> III transition. Basic game was "most" of the old game's DLC in some form or another, some of the more esoteric ones removed, and with much better performance and UI.

My biggest fear is that they screw around with the scale, either making the new individual maps too small again, or that you need to play the metropolitan area and manually set up different individual towns to get the metropolitan area rolling smoothly and if you don't do that, you end up with a number of small backwater towns and slums. That's pretty much how all the previous city builder franchises have died out.

It seemed to work really well for Sim City 4, which dominated well into when CS came out.

Though I do agree I wish it had some bigger tiles.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

This lady seems like she's mixing that fake american cumberbatch style accent with her swedish accent it's freaking me out

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

raindrop agents confirmed

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Issaries posted:

If you don't have powerful enough CPU, part of your map will always have drought?

just having parts of the simulation shut down like HAL 9000 as your cpu reaches that temp

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Would've loved some actual information. :argh:

Clearly going to be bigger, okay. Bigger as in regions? Bigger as in still single cities but bigger?

buildings will be so tall you'll need to play in landscape mode

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Koramei posted:

All the graphics advances in the world can't match what the best talent can bring. Maxis from the mid 90s to mid 2000s was a top of the pack game company, and city builders weren't niche yet. The pull a project like SC4 could have on getting quality artists etc is very different to what Colossal Order can do with Skylines.

Sadly. We're probably never getting a city builder quite like SC4 again.

hell i still think sc2k has better building designs than cs. even the polygonal landscape has more charm than the playdough mounds of cs

maybe ill try my hand at modeling the sc2k buildings in cs2. i tried in cs1 but could never get the scales right.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i would lose hours to the first person mod once my city was mostly filled out hope its native in cs2

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I always forget Cleveland has rail transit and it's actually fairly well utilized for what it is.

two of the lines are run by a suburb because during the great de-tramification they were like gently caress you

the red line should run to berea though :argh:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

They are just fancier trams. You can tell they're trams because they have low floors to facilitate boarding from street level.

unless your stock is old like in philly! (thought they claim they are getting low floor stock for the trolley system soon)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I hope making maps for this is similar to CS1, especially if the water is no longer made of warm jell-o

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

right click dezoning is another wishlist item checked off for me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I feel like this is a good compromise between the SC style run a line there and forget about it and W&RSR style "you need a transmission line. no not that one, this one."

i do hope there is an option or mod to have aboveground lines just for visual effect.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i just want to be able to build maps where narrow rivers arent just series of tidal waves

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

The starting on a highway offramp thing does indeed suck poo poo and it's sad that they kept that. I guess the agent thing requires an outside connection but I don't see why it couldn't be a little country road instead. Or a railway.

it can be in cs1. you just need to make your map with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah there are enough people doing it just find the streamer you like the most and watch them

AA seems to be having an easy enough time making good lookin circles which is heartening

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the yogs guy has the best audio of them all

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oh cool there will be separate demand for different densities

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

there seems to be a lot of bald sims, and while this is probably because they haven't finalized how they will render hair, i instead hope that the amount of hair cims have is the inverse of the amount of pollution they work and live in

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rarbatrol posted:

I think performance is one of the things they might not be allowed to talk about yet.

biffa talks about it a bit in his last video but im not sure how much he can talk about the downsides. Basically he said he wasn't having problems when they dropped the finalized textures.

based on the FAQ it seems it's probably certain features not playing nice with certain hardware, so it'll be a jungle of everyone figuring out what works for their setup.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

The prerelease coverage for Simcity 2013 was pretty positive and then shock as release day came around and the whole thing exploded like the Hindenburg. The awe came in the following days as it became clear just how fundamentally broken and lovely the game was at its core even without all the always online bullshit. That was the last game I preordered.

Until now. Sorry guys, I just preordered this one and as a result have probably condemned it to utterly fail and dethrone the previous King poo poo of Turd Mountain: Simcity 2013.

the problems there definitely started cropping up well before the release. people were wary of the agent system but I think what really killed it was the super super small game area size. CS2 hasn't had anything that red flaggy, also we've seen actual people play the actual game which was another big warning with SC2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

part of me really wants to play this on potato mode despite, in theory, being able to play on normal graphics. get that authentic cities skylines: gamecube experience

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

OddObserver posted:

The way these things go, good chance they will introduce some very silly very embarrassing bug with all those urgent last minute performance fixes.

oh i see you are new to paradox games

lmao

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gamepass is saying noon est

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

smoobles posted:

is this on sale yet

its one dollar if you dont have gamepass!

free* if you already do!

*as in beer

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I will one day find where this blackhole of a road has gone and delete it

Knocked the settings for some things down but kept texture high. Trees, water and terrain are in n64 mode but the buildings look pretty good.

this game is gonna be a pain to play until my cs1 muscle memory goes away

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I feel like a lot of this is them getting screwed over by unity making promises it can't actually keep. Which isn't surprising considering how much of a garbage fire unity has been as a company for the past few years. i think thats why problems are mostly solved with shutting off a lot of seemingly random graphics settings

as for stuff they can control: i really wish we had better control over where frontages go. I know CPP has a way to fix it in one of his videos but hell if i can find it. I also wish we could control setback limits on the lots because a lot of them are just absolutely insane. part of that is having to break myself of making max width zoning areas (especially with medium density) though i have found alleys help with that.

once mods get up for this it'll be a lot better, especially when we can get hold of small service buildings, since they just did the opposite of last time and made them all gigantic

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tarnop posted:

I may be misinterpreting what you're asking for, but if you're zoning a rectangle contained within roads, just skip the column of zone cells directly adjacent to the road that you don't want the frontages on. Then, once buildings have started to go up, zone that last strip. There aren't any 1-deep houses, so they will face onto the same road as all the others

yeah that's what i have been doing. i await when someone mods in a toggle or something

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Hearing all these reports of people with 4090s getting 10fps and stuff makes me really wonder what kind of machines are the developers using? Are they testing the game on normal computers or are they testing it on very specific, insanely powerful supercomputers?

perfomance also seems to be all over the place, so people with 4090s may be getting absolute dogshit perfomance while someone with a 1070 can be cruising along with a nice if potatoy expereicne

though 4k seems to be the killer so once again the smart 2k high fps buyer wins again :smuggo:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Does everyone build meticulous highly planned cities or is anyone like me where you just build chaotic ancient European clusterfucks with winding roads everywhere with building choice made purely reactively based on the current need for zoning/services?

poorly planned grids like my midwestern bones yearn for

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

piratepilates posted:

quote:

Fixed crash when car crashes into still hidden car with trailer

hehe

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

from dne01s video i think incinerators may be broken right now and don't actually process their storage

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the game really feels like a scandinavian fever dream about america between how the simulation works and the insanity of the base building models.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sumerian Telecom posted:

How can I connect distant city tiles with road? Surely I should be able to establish little villages all over the map and connect them up with roads even via tiles I have not yet claimed?

Also am I blind or is there no way to edit a road after you've laid it down? As in grab a node to smooth out an annoying kink in a curve.

until mods are in you'll need to just demolish and rebuild the road

I really want them to fix how lumpy roads can get. I have a road that just jump up to the intersection like this _/ which makes it impossible to lay down tram tracks. I guess free terraforming is the solution to this but i wish the roads were a bit more aggressive with smoothing the terrain under them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

That's for reticulating purposes you rube

some people have no respect for tradition