Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I built a cargo train station specifically for my forestry zone, so why do so many log trucks keep heading off to the other side of my city to unload at my industrial train cargo station? The only thing I can think of is that I built the industrial one first and maybe zones "lock in" to a preferred station and don't recalculate? Might try bulldozing my forestry zone and letting it rebuild to see if they want to go to the right station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there a faq or rule set for when traffic lights are generated and when you get a lightless intersection?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vahakyla posted:

:w00t:

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/707402399209628903/4F77141FE887F6D98C9EFE3661FD728BB84E33FC/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409184143&searchtext=police

"Only ambulances, hearses, police cars, fire trucks and garbage trucks can use these roads. Commercial zones will not last long (no supplies to sell). Buses will be added later. "

:w00t:

Now there is a mod that allows pedestrian walkways to be used by public service vehicles. Police, Fire EMS and garbage trucks will use pedestrian walkways and you can also zone pedestrian walkways with buildings.

This is awesome. It allows you to build better neighborhoods without worrying about the services getting there. Plenty of European cities have walkable-only ways that police still use but no private cars are allowed into.

Haha. Holy poo poo. This rules.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
No! Don't do it! Don't jum...

Oh. Um. Okay. Carry on, then.

(They jump back up too! :haw: )

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

triplexpac posted:

Is there any good reason to have resources like ore and whatever actually deplete? I don't really like that idea at all, having your specialized industry be on a timer like that doesn't seem fun to me.

I don't think so. I feel like each disconnected zone of a resource should have a maximum daily output maybe modified by the average development level of the mine. Or maybe a mine or well ploppable produces X per day up to the zones max output and then that gets shipped to the ore/oil industry for processing.

The cool thing about Skylines is someone could probably make a mod that does this. :shepface:

EDIT: Probably adjust the profit down a bit as I think the current idea is that you get a bunch of extra money from them but they run out quick

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

Is there a mod that increases the power radius of buildings? As much as I like drawing power lines this is loving retarded and annoying.

I actually am looking forward to a mod where roads transfer both power and water. The current system is a little make-worky.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Chard posted:

That's a funny way to spell "launch arcology". Wanna blast my tinymans into the cruel void of outer space.

Seriously. Launch arcology is the best for so many reasons. Looking forward to seeing little cims milling around under the glass dome.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The real 'problem' with sports field is probably animating little dudes to play on them.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I was watching pedestrians move between two of my metro stations while considering revisions, when i noticed something weird. Every group switching stations would take the long way around in green. I've never seen a single pedestrian set foot on the little red hook.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

site posted:

Can this import data from Google maps or open street maps or something so i can gently caress around in my irl city?

http://terrain.party/

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I tried using that terrain.party thing on some of my hometown but all of the land is so close to sealevel that the game mushes the shoreline way too far inward. Also it hates floodplains. Dang :(

You can take the greyscale heightmap into a paint program and tweak/edit it before importing, like brighten it up a bit and then 'paint' where the sea 'should' be in a darker color.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Logikv9 posted:

I can now confirm it also magically disappears abandoned buildings. :smith:

Don't worry, someone will fix it with a mod within 20 minutes. :)

Speaking of which, where the hell is my American ambulance siren mod?! :mad:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

KKKlean Energy posted:

Which LUT does this screenshot from the OP use? (There was a post in which the poster said, but hosed if I can find it any more)

I need my game to look like this all the time

I think that's
Photoreal Color Correction

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

dogstile posted:

The game is primarily about managing traffic and building pretty cities, so if you can't do that you're doing at least 50% of the game wrong.

I think this is probably why I drifted away from the game. I felt like it was more a traffic sim then a 'city' sim, I guess? Nothing wrong with that, still great for the time I put in, but... eh?

The DLC have felt like a long string of wasted potential. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So... am I doing things right or wrong by making my cities disconnected 'islands' (res/com/ind) which can get to other islands only by the highway?