Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Remember the mediocre Bengals DT whose kid has cancer?

Devon Still posted:

“That moment you get the best news you've ever received and don't know what to do so you just flex!! We got Leah's MIBG Scans back tonight and the doctors told us they didn't see any active disease in her body!!! We still have to wait for her MRI and bone biopsy results later this week. But the doctors feel very optimistic about them because of the results from today. So for now we celebrate!! #LeahStrong #PrayersWork #ThankYouEveryOne #ImSoHappyIFeelNumb #BeatCancer.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
hooray :peanut:

Metapod fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 18, 2015

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

I remember this, it was a pretty touching moment. That kid is really adorable, it's nice to hear good news.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I don't give a poo poo if he was the crappiest player ever, I'm so glad the Bengals helped him and his family out and I hope his daughter makes a full recovery.

gently caress cancer.
gently caress pediatric cancer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, same.

That said, the two games I knew for sure she attended were two of the three worst losses. :v:

Boba Phat
Feb 19, 2003

Deal With It
That rocks. I can't even begin to imagine what going through that was like for the little girl. I can imagine what it was like for Devon as her father, and being essentially powerless to help your child sucks rear end more than anything in life. So happy for that whole family.

And my god, it is such a breath of fresh air to hear positive news. A kid didn't die, a parent did the right things and not the wrong things, and an NFL team was classy. In this day and age that seems like a media hat trick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That owns. Way to go, Leah :unsmith:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Still was a dope loving college player and I'm glad she beat the odds. This is absolutely phenomenal in a sea of poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess they can survive the PR hit of cutting him now

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
They offered him a one-year deal for super cheap because he's pretty bad. But this news is amazing. :)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Intruder posted:

I mean, they kept him on for the sole purpose of allowing him to keep his insurance so his daughter could be treated. I think they avoided any PR nightmare from the get go.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That's insane. People were talking like she was more than likely going to die, right?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Ehud posted:

That's insane. People were talking like she was more than likely going to die, right?
She's not out of the woods yet but yeah, her first check-up did not have very positive results.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I too am all for children not being dead. Beating cancer is as good as beating the Steelers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What clearly matters here is how good of a football player he is.

Way to go kid, hope she makes a full recovery.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's great to hear and Cincinnati Children's is a top tier pediatric hospital so the money raised will be put to good use.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What clearly matters here is how good of a football player he is.

Has he paid child support yet?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/devon-still-responds-to-child-support-allegations-203941527.html

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

They have reached an agreement.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

:unsmith: that is good

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Just a little feel good update:

https://instagram.com/p/0qgNthp6qr/

June 2, 2014 and March 25, 2015 are days I will remember for the rest of my life. As everyone probably knows, June 2nd was the day doctors walked into the waiting room to tell me my daughter had cancer. It was the most devastating day of my life. March 25th , however, is feeling like the best day of my life. Today we received news from Leah's oncologist that her cancer, stage four neuroblastoma, is officially in REMISSION! After 296 days of day dreaming about what it would feel like to hear the doctors say my daughter is in remission, I finally know the feeling. Funny thing is there is really no way of describing it because I never knew this feeling existed. When I look at my daughter all I can do is smile and hug her. It was not easy but every day, and every treatment Leah fought like hell and kicked cancers butt! I'm so proud and blessed to call her my daughter. She has made an impact on me and on the world, at the age of four, that I can only wish to make in a lifetime. Thank you to my family and friends for the support through all those tough days. Thank you to everyone who has sent a letter to give Leah and our family motivation to keep fighting, a toy that helped Leah get through her days in the hospital, and more importantly a prayer that helped God hear our cries for healing. Thank you to the doctors at CHOP for putting together the best plan of action for my daughter. Thank you to Child Life members Sarah, Laura, and Lindsey for really turning what could be a scary place into a place where Leah would enjoy going because she knew she would have fun with you guys. Thank you to the Bengals for taking on my situation and standing by me and my family and for helping to raise money to fight pediatric cancer. To every media outlet and persons that helped raise much needed awareness, thank you. Leah is not done with treatments yet. She still needs more to make sure the cancer cells do not return and to build back up her immune system and other damage from the chemo but I know my little warrior will get through it! #FistBump #LeahStrong #BeatCancer #TheFightAgainstChildhoodCancerIsFarFromOver #ThrowingTheBiggestKidPartyEver #WaitForIt

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Intruder posted:

So far the Bengals handled this about as well as any organization possibly could have. They deserve praise too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously. I don't know what else they could have done. Still was probably the single worst player on the team last year, his daughter needing insurance was the only reason he stayed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Eifert Posting posted:

Seriously. I don't know what else they could have done. Still was probably the single worst player on the team last year, his daughter needing insurance was the only reason he stayed.

Cut him anyway but hook him up with some off-field job. Mike Brown could seize the PR opportunity of the century by covering her treatment out of his own pocket.

Win-win, and then maybe you guys would win more.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Setting aside that the guy evidently wants to be a football player, not an assistant water boy, I don't think the player at the bottom of anyone's roster is winning or losing them games

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Bengals would have cut him if he was like a poo poo awful liability. He wasn't good but keeping him on the roster wasn't a pure charity case since he was often on the active roster.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

Setting aside that the guy evidently wants to be a football player, not an assistant water boy, I don't think the player at the bottom of anyone's roster is winning or losing them games

Well he should probably be better at the game of football if he wants to keep playing it. Hopefully next season his daughter won't have cancer, so he can try to stand on his own merits.

One of the reasons the Hawks just lost the Super Bowl was because of poor depth. Better backups and role players can make all the difference in the world.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You seem to be losing sight of the supposed reason he was kept on the team this year, and like Goetta said if he was some kind of dead weight they could have listed him as inactive every week

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

You seem to be losing sight of the supposed reason he was kept on the team this year, and like Goetta said if he was some kind of dead weight they could have listed him as inactive every week

I was merely proposing an alternative way the Bengals could have handled this. Just killing time in the offseason man, don't lose sight of that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They've announced she's officially in remission.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Remission can mean a lot of different things, and doesn't always mean the patient is cancer free - in fact it usually doesn't.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
drat let's feel good for a second before bringing it down.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Well that Instagram post above sure as hell sounds like the cancer is gone, at least momentarily. Obviously there's still more to do, but it's unequivocal good news regardless.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cancer free is good news and all, but lets not forget that everyone dies eventually and that oblivion will at some point consume us all.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Goetta posted:

Cancer free is good news and all, but lets not forget that everyone dies eventually and that oblivion will at some point consume us all.

I believe you are looking for e/n

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also the world is ridiculously overpopulated and every first world resident who grows to adulthood is categorically worse for the planet than one who dies in childhood in almost every metric. Everyone would be better off if you had died of cancer as a kid.

When does loving training camp start?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 1, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe a million third world kids could die instead or something

a million more than the ones that are already going to die i mean

gotta look out for #1

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65uSh-bWpyM

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The scouting reports on that play are going to be brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I looked at the video again and I'm pretty sure the offense has too many men on the field

• Locked thread