Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They told the Temple defense to treat her like any ordinary college player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
She got VOD from the stem cell treatment.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Eifert Posting posted:

Also the world is ridiculously overpopulated and every first world resident who grows to adulthood is categorically worse for the planet than one who dies in childhood in almost every metric. Everyone would be better off if you had died of cancer as a kid.

When does loving training camp start?

gently caress off, usa #1

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
worse for the planet in almost every metric *takes hit off inhaler*

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So from what I understand she had a common side effect of Stem cell treatment following chemo that causes the blood vessels in the liver to rupture. It's bad but treatable except for the worst cases. Any of the doctors here know anything about VOD?

Isn't it a bit early in the day to be drunkposting?
VVVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 31, 2015

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The blood vessels in her liver are Andy Dalton...and it's playoff time

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
hey can any doctors tell me about this thing so i know how likely it is that a little girl dies and will be prevented from becoming another cog in the capitalism third world murder machine, thanks

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

The blood vessels in her liver are Andy Dalton...and it's playoff time

So if she lives.... it will be a liver fluke?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Roasted Donut posted:

hey can any doctors tell me about this thing so i know how likely it is that a little girl dies and will be prevented from becoming another cog in the capitalism third world murder machine, thanks

yeah unless i misread something ol toussaint is cheering for devon still's daughter to die

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stem cell treatment is pretty intense and involves taking out the stem cells first and then nuking your body so hard with extreme chemo that it can't recover without your previously harvested cells (or someone else's cells, in some cases). It is essentially as close to physically "starting over" as you can get with medicine.

I hope she is using her own stem cells because that is much easier to recover from. Using someone else's cells introduces a lot greater likelihood of long-term side effects, like your body rejecting the outside cells. Chemo (especially of this sort) has a way of loving up just about every aspect of your health you can think of and it's not great for childhood development either. Every cancer case and treatment regimen is different, though, so it's hard to say what will happen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Stem cell treatment is pretty intense and involves taking out the stem cells first and then nuking your body so hard with extreme chemo that it can't recover without your previously harvested cells (or someone else's cells, in some cases). It is essentially as close to physically "starting over" as you can get with medicine.

I hope she is using her own stem cells because that is much easier to recover from. Using someone else's cells introduces a lot greater likelihood of long-term side effects, like your body rejecting the outside cells. Chemo (especially of this sort) has a way of loving up just about every aspect of your health you can think of and it's not great for childhood development either. Every cancer case and treatment regimen is different, though, so it's hard to say what will happen.

My brother did several rounds of chemo before and after I donated bone marrow to him. I was 6, he was 4.

20 years later I'm almost a foot taller than him. He looks like he never went through puberty and appears so androgynous he is often mistaken for a chunky, hipster lesbian. He has cataracts, gallstones, random bone spurs, dermatitis, and a thyroid condition. Also he is sterile.

Sometimes the treatment is as bad as the disease.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 31, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I had mine at age 31 so I am not going to get the developmental poo poo, and there's also the thing that cancer treatment has advanced significantly in just the last 20 years. But yeah it's brutal. I have a friend who had childhood leukemia and you can kinda tell, he's almost unnaturally scrawny and short.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
give the bad body brother your account

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

football fuckerman posted:

yeah unless i misread something ol toussaint is cheering for devon still's daughter to die

Lol, no. I'm not a sociopath. Realizing that first world people are a terrible strain on the environment =/= wanting people to die.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 1, 2015

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Chichevache posted:

My brother did several rounds of chemo before and after I donated bone marrow to him. I was 6, he was 4.

20 years later I'm almost a foot taller than him. He looks like he never went through puberty and appears so androgynous he is often mistaken for a chunky, hipster lesbian. He has cataracts, gallstones, random bone spurs, dermatitis, and a thyroid condition. Also he is sterile.

Yeah, your "brother." Sure.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

indigi posted:

Yeah, your "brother." Sure.

I don't get the joke. Are you saying I'm the midget with flaky skin?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chichevache posted:

And despite all that, the thing I feel the worst about for him is having you as a brother.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Eifert Posting posted:

Lol, no. I'm not a sociopath. Realizing that first world people are a terrible strain on the environment =/= wanting people to die.

Thanks for the hot takes on how the first world is destroying the environment in the thread about a guy's daughter who has cancer you insane retard

Roasted Donut fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 2, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Chichevache posted:

I don't get the joke. Are you saying I'm the midget with flaky skin?

He should've gone with a "Was it the chemo..or your bone marrow? :tinfoil:" line instead of implying you lied about your brother.

realtalk, you did a great thing

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

old dog child posted:

He should've gone with a "Was it the chemo..or your bone marrow? :tinfoil:" line instead of implying you lied about your brother.

realtalk, you did a great thing

For real, that works as a joke at least.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Roasted Donut posted:

Thanks for the hot takes on how the first world is destroying the environment in the thread about a guy's daughter who has cancer you insane retard

Sorry that I disappointed you somehow by not actually being pro pediatric cancer. Do I have to explain that I've never actually wished for the death of a football player or prayed for a meteor strike at Hines Field either?

Jesus.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Eifert Posting posted:

Sorry that I disappointed you somehow by not actually being pro pediatric cancer. Do I have to explain that I've never actually wished for the death of a football player or prayed for a meteor strike at Hines Field either?

Jesus.

I also wander into threads about small children with cancer and, apropos of nothing, start commenting that the world would be a better place if they were dead. I feel this is a valuable and helpful contribution to society at large. Where would you guys possibly get the impression that I was a raving douche?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
if a meteor struck heinz field it would cause untold devastation the lives of millions in heart wrenching ways. myself and many others would quietly mourn loss of life and offer support and charity to the survivors, our fellow human beings. i would go so far as to say we should dedicated the ravens 2015 division title to the memory of the pittsburgh steelers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SlipUp posted:

if a meteor struck heinz field it would cause untold devastation the lives of millions in heart wrenching ways. myself and many others would quietly mourn loss of life and offer support and charity to the survivors, our fellow human beings. i would go so far as to say we should dedicated the ravens 2015 division title to the memory of the pittsburgh steelers.

Bane did nothing wrong.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He left Hines Ward alive.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

NC-17 posted:

He left Hines Ward alive.

He didn't want his bitch rear end jaw broken by The Ghost of Hines Ward

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More details

ABC news posted:

The daughter of Cincinnati Bengals defense tackle Devon Still was doing better after suffering a complication in her stem cell transplant, her father said.

Still, 25, on Monday posted a photo of himself and his 5-year-old daughter, Leah, to Instagram, saying Monday marked the first time she had "really been awake" in four days. The girl was giving a thumbs up in the photo.

Still said Friday his daughter suffered a complication in her stem cell transplant called VOD.

VOD generally stands for veno-occlusive disease, also known as sinusoidal obstruction syndrome, or SOS, which means small veins are blocked, which can affect toxins in the body if the liver is affected.

Dr. Hillard Lazarus, a doctor of hematology and oncology at University Hospitals Case Medical Center and professor of medicine at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, said VOD usually refers to an issue with the liver.

“It’s like putting a clamp on the liver. The liver will back up with fluid,” said Lazarus.

If the veins in the liver become obstructed, it can essentially stop working, which leads to a build-up of toxins if chemotherapy or another harsh treatment gets used on the body. Lazarus said there is an investigative drug that might help treat the condition, or hospitals will give the patient supportive care.

Leah was diagnosed a year ago with Stage 4 neuroblastoma, ESPN reported. In March, her father said she was in remission but she must still undergo stem cell treatments.

VOD is known but rare complication of stem cell transplants, according to Lazarus.

Still and his daughter will be honored during the ESPYs next month when they receive the Jimmy V Perseverance Award, according to ESPN.
Not a doctor but it sounds like she'll this isn't a long term issue. I forgot that Devon Still is just 25. That is really, really young to be going through this poo poo.

GenHavoc posted:

I also wander into threads about small children with cancer and, apropos of nothing, start commenting that the world would be a better place if they were dead. I feel this is a valuable and helpful contribution to society at large. Where would you guys possibly get the impression that I was a raving douche?

Wander in, huh? This thread isn't about me. If you would like to continue wagging your finger I have PMs.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Roasted Donut posted:

She's been through a lot already and I'm not sure if she will need another transplant still (they often do two transplants for pediatric neuroblastoma) but it is a bad sign. Just this complication alone has about a 30% mortality rate and that's assuming the cancer is gone and she doesn't have to turn around and do another transplant (though I bet that they'd only do one in her case)

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

She's been through a lot already and I'm not sure if she will need another transplant still (they often do two transplants for pediatric neuroblastoma) but it is a bad sign. Just this complication alone has about a 30% mortality rate and that's assuming the cancer is gone and she doesn't have to turn around and do another transplant (though I bet that they'd only do one in her case)

That really sucks, thanks for the input.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm imagining an alternate reality where Devon Still isn't drafted and ends up working at a Gold's Gym, but his daughter still has cancer and it's making me really loving sad.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

I'm imagining an alternate reality where Devon Still isn't drafted and ends up working at a Gold's Gym, but his daughter still has cancer and it's making me really loving sad.

Poor guy was the most visible player during the Penn State debacle as well so he got to deal with that distraction too. Small wonder he hasn't lived up to potential. All that poo poo on his plate in the low twenties, god drat.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Just click this: http://www.gofundme.com/Medical-Illness-Healing/ and go look at any hospital bill ever in comparison. (note: will only give you 50 pages of matches, put in any zip code to change the pile you get)

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Kalli posted:

Just click this: http://www.gofundme.com/Medical-Illness-Healing/ and go look at any hospital bill ever in comparison. (note: will only give you 50 pages of matches, put in any zip code to change the pile you get)

Why did I have to type in my zipcode?

E: I get paid tomorrow, gotta find the best 10 or so to donate to tonight.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Then I remember gofundme has basically replaced the people at the gas station who try to sell you steak knives.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Chilichimp posted:

Then I remember gofundme has basically replaced the people at the gas station who try to sell you steak knives.

Ohhh true, gonna research a few first then...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Had a look, one of the first things in my area I found was parents of a girl who looks to be maybe 12 or 13 wanting to treat her "Bipolar, A.D.D., Oppositional Defiance Disorder and Depression" by sending her to a wilderness program for troubled teens

I hate people so much

e: it says she's been in juvie so maybe she just looks younger than she is or that's an old picture, but even if she's a teenager go gently caress yourself parents

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 4, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

Had a look, one of the first things in my area I found was parents of a girl who looks to be maybe 12 or 13 wanting to treat her "Bipolar, A.D.D., Oppositional Defiance Disorder and Depression" by sending her to a wilderness program for troubled teens

I hate people so much

e: it says she's been in juvie so maybe she just looks younger than she is or that's an old picture, but even if she's a teenager go gently caress yourself parents

"Help, we hosed up our kid, give us money so we can finally finish the job" :unsmigghh:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Intruder posted:

I hate people so much

What was that documentary about the parents who basically have their near-adult children kidnapped and sent to some remote South American compound for experimenting with their sexuality?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Leah is out of the hospital.

quote:

Bengals defensive tackle Devon Still announced in March that his daughter Leah’s cancer was in remission, but complications from stem cell transplant surgery forced the 5-year-old to return to the hospital. Devon and Leah shared some outstanding news on Instagram Friday night — Leah will finally be able to go home after the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is sad as hell:
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/7/7/8904177/devon-still-continues-to-help-cancer-community
http://www.gofundme.com/wr8d5e8

tldr: A parent talked to Still about his experiences parenting a kid with Leah's disease. Now that parent's boy is dying at age ten and the hospice can't provide care at his home so he will likely die in the hospital.

Edit: It looks like this is pretty old. The gofundme has been up for 26 days and the kid was given two weeks.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 7, 2015

• Locked thread