Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

You may have played a Nexon game in the past and come away disappointed. Perhaps DFO? But now, in the glorious year POM (Post Owen Mahoney) 1, they are a cool and good company. They have added a way to buy cash shop items in Maplestory and Vindictus with resources earned in-game, made shop searching items available for a paltry amount of meso in Maplestory, and changed weekly rebirths and the ability to use item bags and player-owned shops to make them free in Mabinogi. They have improved their patch cycle so that there are no longer 24 hour patches with 12 hours of hotfixes the next day (Well, in Maple and Mabi. I dunno about Vindictus, and I know nothing about Dragon Nest or their other poo poo games.), and they have increased the amount of events so that there is always something to do. They have updated previously obtuse and archaic systems to be more modern and less aggravating, and they have increased communication with players.

Yes, Nexon's customer service is still pretty dismal. But the same could be said of most game companies, and with everything else improving it might be due for a revamp soon. The biggest problems with their games--the use of hackshield, for instance--can be blamed on the Korean developers. In fact, all (or nearly all, I'm not sure if they do a little bit) of the coding is done by the Korean devs, and as you can imagine it can be hard to communicate cross-language, cross-culture, and cross-timezone. Nexon employees are people who want to work standard hours, just like us!

With exciting new games like Maplestory 2 and Tree of Savior coming out soon, and Nexon's service being on an upward swing, I think now is a better time than ever to give them a second chance. There's only so much a relatively tiny offshoot of a foreign powerhouse can do, especially when their opinions are ignored by the main branch. I am hopeful that Nexon HQ, being under new, western management, will be more open to listening to suggestions made by American employees, and that their service will continue to improve in the way it is improving now.

This is a safezone for Nexon fans, please don't be rude or I'll be sad. :(

This thread is not entirely serious, obviously, but I do honestly think Nexon has been doing a good job lately and that they deserve credit where credit is due. If you ever played Maple, or Mabi, or perhaps even any of their other games,in the past, and were turned off by poor management, it might be worth it to try again. The real obstacle blocking Nexon's growth is not of their own making; rather, it's the amount of control over their products they're given by Nexon HQ. In the past, I would have been very worried about the future prospects of any new Nexon games, but today I am optimistic instead. I hope you can share in my optimism and look forward to cool new games to play in the next year or two. :)

Now for shameless self promotion: join #maplegoons if you want to try Maple, and if anyone wants to play some other Nexon game feel free to post about that too. :) I love me some Mabi on occasion!

Here's a screenshot of the Rewards Shop in Maple, where you can buy cash shop items with currency you earn by killing bosses, participating in events, and playing minigames (mostly Uno):

You can also buy a few other things, including cubes, but those weren't on the same page and I don't think it makes sense to have two screenshots. The purchase limits reset monthly.

There's a similar shop in Vindictus that uses AP as the currency, but I don't know much about it. If anyone has more info, feel free to share and I'll add it to this OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
fyi nexon america has significantly overhauled a lot of things, including account security and backend is more or less best-practice modern ASP.NET, Amazon AWS/S3/Cloudfront, and account system uses SSL/TLS now

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
Western management? What happened other than the move to Japan?

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
Nexon fans? Didn't know there was such a thing.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
It's less that there are fans of Nexon and more that pretty much every other one is significantly worse.

At least it's not Aeria.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TouchiePlushie posted:

Nexon fans? Didn't know there was such a thing.

I think it's more stockholm syndrome.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
were nexon the guys behind exteel? pretty good anime robot beat em up imo okay bye

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Imagine if they also made good games.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Blazing Zero posted:

were nexon the guys behind exteel? pretty good anime robot beat em up imo okay bye

Nah bro, Exteel was an NCsoft game.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Jueg01 posted:

Western management? What happened other than the move to Japan?

Owen Mahoney is the CEO of Nexon as of a year or so ago. He talks big game, but we have yet to see if he'll follow through with it.

Wildebeest posted:

:mad:

zanmatto posted:

It's less that there are fans of Nexon and more that pretty much every other one is significantly worse.

At least it's not Aeria.

This is also true, but they have definitely been improving their service so I thought I'd point it out and try to give them some credit.

Nexon Korea's games require you to sign up with a valid Korean phone number (you used to need a KSSN, but not anymore), so their methods to stop hackers and botters usually boil down to banning everyone until they run out of accounts. Obviously this doesn't work in other countries because we don't have insane government control over the internet, and Nexon KR and their developers have historically done a poor job of adapting their anti-cheat to the West. I'm hopeful that Owen Mahoney, as a non-insane San Fransisco business man, will recognize that hackshield is terrible and encourage developers to put actual effort into stopping hackers by doing things like coding games to be client-sided.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Nah bro, Exteel was an NCsoft game.

Soon to be one and the same!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hell, you gotta love the drat Nexon Company.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Normal Adult Human posted:

Hell, you gotta love the drat Nexon Company.

yah

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
All hail our future NCSoft overlords

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Love is just something sticky left in your butt.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Love is just something sticky left in your butt.

Hey what are you doing this thursday? I still need to give you your birthday card.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Nexon was cool back when they ran Nexus: TK.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is it

this is the topic

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Anyone remember Shattered Galaxy?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Remind me of what Nexons stable of games is, I'm sure I liked a couple of them.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Wildebeest posted:

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Hexel posted:

Remind me of what Nexons stable of games is, I'm sure I liked a couple of them.

Vindictus, Maple Story, uhhhh... A bunch of other ones I never played. Atlantica?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

Vindictus, Maple Story, uhhhh... A bunch of other ones I never played. Atlantica?

Mabinogi is good too! I love the skill system.

Eonwe posted:

this is it

this is the topic

Hi Eonwe, are you willing to open your heart and give Nexon a second chance? :angel:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
for bio's sake, of course

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

year199X posted:

Anyone remember Shattered Galaxy?

I'm shocked that its still running. Nexus TK as well. Who on earth is still playing these games?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

mightygerm posted:

I'm shocked that its still running. Nexus TK as well. Who on earth is still playing these games?

Nexus TK is Real Bad now but back in the day it was cool ok, stfu. When KRU took over now it's just cash shop all day every day.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BERGfu posted:

Hey what are you doing this thursday? I still need to give you your birthday card.

Working from home, txt me for something sticky :wink:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I haven't really heard much about Nexon since I stopped playing Maple well over a year ago, but I really hope that Tree of Savior is good and not a grindy pay to win shitfest because I think its pretty and has good music. I didn't always agree with the changes they made in MapleStory but I always kind of summed that up as not necessarily being up to the NA devs

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
I used to play maplestory back when the experience curve turned into a vertical line around level 25 and there was literally nothing to do but grind mobs for 0.002% progress to the next level

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Pikachu posted:

I used to play maplestory back when the experience curve turned into a vertical line around level 25 and there was literally nothing to do but grind mobs for 0.002% progress to the next level

i did level 1-140 in half a day after redownloading this week and probably half of that was spent afk

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why do all these korean gaming companies start with n

neople, ncsoft, nexon

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Relin posted:

why do all these korean gaming companies start with n

neople, ncsoft, nexon

ndoors
neowiz
ntreev
netmarble

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Working from home, txt me for something sticky :wink:

txt sent

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I played Kingdom of the Winds and Dark Ages back when my family computer was too lovely to run anything else. I'll never complain about grinding in a game ever thanks to them.

I took a peek at Dark Ages a few months back and found it hilarious the cash shop offers stuff like track suits in a medieval fantasy setting.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
They killed off DFO

NEVER FORGIVE NEVER FORGET

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I actually like Mabinogi and would play it if it didn't require cooperating with literal 13 year olds to progress.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I wish the EU would get Vindictus on Steam. :(

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pikachu posted:

Getting level 48 in maplestory beta was the most grinding I've ever done in any mmo.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Wassbix posted:

They killed off DFO

NEVER FORGIVE NEVER FORGET

https://www.facebook.com/dfoglobal?fref=photo

good news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
There's apparently a chinese remake of shattered galaxy?

• Locked thread