Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Dark Brotherhood quest is gay because the last guy you murder is not only hardly a challenge but he's like the only character who doesn't sound permanently brain damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Nothing tops the thieves guild in terms of retarded bad quest. The Dark Brotherhood is freaking excellent next to that insane turd.

This. But I played through all the major quest lines and they're all freaking awful. I think the mage guild is probably the best since it at least has good loot and has some cool setpieces.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only have Apocalypse and the custom start mod installed, because it kept crashing with anything else, but it's cool lighting everything on fire in the Dawnstar Daedra quest, even though everything kills me in two hits because even though Skyrim has level scaling in Vanilla some stuff is still harder than other areas and I guess they didn't expect me to do the only obvious quest in Dawnstar as a scrub.

Still, it's cool not knowing WTF was going to happen with my start, so now I'm getting my alchemy on even though I just wanted to shoot fire at people.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I installed Apocalypse and Midas Magic, and now there's a shitload of spells and its cool. Plus one of them adds non-channeled newbie spells, like the lightning one that does insanely massive damage on the first hit in combat, and is then weaker than say Lighting Bolt would be. So basically it just lets you one-hit all those scrubby wolves and poo poo that attack you on the road. Or you can use it while sneaking to one-hit someone.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

I for one think it's an epic time saver that the claw is quite often sitting directly in front of the door on the corpse of the man who died trying to figure out the puzzle.

My favorite thing about every Bethesda game is that the most challenging + inventive puzzles in the game are in the first 5 dungeons you see and a few spots in the main quest, and then absolutely every other cave/dungeon/castle/whatever is going to be almost totally the same as every other minor one, right down to the enemy placement.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u47xVO9OOA

shadowplay works pretty good on my new computer...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ostentatious posted:

any sick mods one can recommend for skyrim??

Apocalypse magic is epic. I changed my mind about Midas magic because i hardly ever use any of the spells. Frostfall sounds like it just adds tedium but the coldness survival thing doesn't really seem to get in the way that much. The mod that makes spell particle effects give off lights is sweet, when u can see your hands lit up at night from your fire spells, and fireballs light whole trees on fire for a little bit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know if there's a mod that lets you rescale Daedric weapons, so they don't suck a few levels after you get them. I did the quest that gtives you the glowing sword that explodes undead, and it's equivalent to a glass sword. I don't want to not use it because it looks epic and the enchantment is extremely strong.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frank Horrigan posted:

Midas Magic was a lot better in Oblivion. The only spell worth using in the Skyrim version is the one that summons a house.

I use Summon Pickaxe a lot actually. Gotta save that like 5 weight.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got pretty tired and disgusted with this game after playing like 40 hours of it at launch, but I gotta say with the DLC and the handful of mods I have, it's pretty cool. The balance between being a melee guy and a wizard is still lame, and the perks still range from totally useless to insanely powerful. Maybe I should get one of those mods that makes spell damage scale with level, and also a perk mod or something.

And is it me or did they buff the AI for spell casters. They keep doing poo poo like whipping out ward spells before my spells hit to block them. And they still seem to have infinite magicka reserves.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Oh, and its made by a Goon.

:mrgw:

I found a mod that buffs the Dawnbringer... I feel like a jackass for buffing the weapon that I happen to be using, but it really is an insanely weak Daedric artifact once you get out of the early game so whatever. Also it makes it give off a cool yellowish light.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I had a post open with Inigo Montoya meme in but I went away and forgot about it.

every tyime i see someone quote that, i think less of them as a person.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really mind the combat even though it's pretty boring. I don't think a mod can fix that. At least using magic is slightly more than just pressing your Cast Spell bind. Morrowind and Oblivion had the exact same combat except somehow even less interesting. Especially Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I installed morrowind once around 5 years ago after hearing people talk about how much better it was and got 10 minutes in before realizing combat was just dice rolls or whatever and uninstalled it immediately. All scrolls games have awful combat

It's funny because Fallout 3 and NV have the exact same trash combat, but they added the cool VATS camera thing to make you forget about it. And slicing dude's heads off in Skyrim does sort of make me forget how the rest of the fight was boring.

• Locked thread