Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hakimashou posted:

If anything American Indians should be proud that we honor their fierce proud braves with our badass helicopters. The name "Apache" lives on and inspires fear in bad guys.

Some of them certainly don't seem to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly I still haven't seen a definition of cultural appropriation that can't be just as easily categorized as gross insensitivity towards another culture or just good ol' fashioned racism.

It reminds me Diogenes waving a plucked chicken in Plato's face and saying "Behold a man!"

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 28, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

icantfindaname posted:

Literally "NO YOUR RACIST"

Are you saying that Asian-Americans have no connection to actual Asian-Asian culture, and aren't impacted at all by racism against Asian-Asians, which apparently is harmless according to you? Grotesque racial caricatures would somehow be A-OK because the Chinese in China are an ocean away, but somehow Chinese-Americans don't get to complain about it because reasons. Best I can tell, what you're saying is that Asian-Americans forfeited their right to that culture when they set foot on American soil. Somehow

Are you saying Asian-Americans have no cultural agency of their own and need right-thinking people to protect them from wrong-thinking people? Because that's what it seems like you're saying.

And anyway, grotesque racial caricatures are never A-OK because they're grotesque racial caricatures. That's enough to make them wrong (I'm ignoring edge cases like displaying Nazi anti-Semitic propaganda at the Holocaust Museum in case anyone tries to use them as a gotcha).

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 29, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Effectronica posted:

Yamato blood becomes unacceptably impure once it mingles with that of whites, blacks, or Chinese more than once

That's what lots of Japanese people actually believe though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Obdicut posted:

Okay. So you don't think that a belief that black people are inferior to white people was a cultural belief?

What sort of belief was it?

A racist one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
They're individual beliefs, Obdicut. They might be widespread in a society, but they're still held by individuals for individual reasons.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Miltank posted:

Maybe if native Americans weren't living in hopeless ghettos their culture wouldn't be threatened by hipsters?

I would heartily endorse Native Americans sending war parties into Brooklyn and Portland to scalp hipsters.

Miltank posted:

The language of cultural appropriation functions to obscure the forms of oppression which perpetuate it.

Seriously. Tell someone they shouldn't wear a knockoff Lakota ceremonial headdress to a Halloween drink-and-gently caress party because it's extremely disrespectful and also pretty racist and they'll probably understand. Say you shouldn't wear the headdress because of "cultural appropriation" will just make them tilt their head at you and look confused.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 7, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arglebargle III posted:

It's just so centered in the American experience, you know? The idea of Chinese or Puerto-Rican or Irish identity being threatened by whatever college girls are wearing to parties could only ever make sense in the context of immigrant communities.

Clearly then the solution is to ban immigration.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PerpetualSelf posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone seriously read tumblrinaction?

Some people like to laugh at stupid people who say speaking more than one language is cultural appropriation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

No this is what happens when you find the most insane parody view possible to validate your persecution complex and crow "I knew it, the feminists/injuns/negras/mexicans/scary folk want to kill white Christian men! :cry:"

I like how you assume nobody on your side could be stupid enough to say something like that so it's obviously a False Flag.

Is there a term for this phenomenon?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It probably was a joke, yeah, but I was serious when I asked if there's a name for assuming anyone saying really dumb things whose on "your" side (whether it's left, right, up, or down) has to be a parody or a troll or a false flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Helsing posted:

It's not the job of the left, or anyone else, to freeze cultural relations at a specific moment in history. In cases where "cultural appropriation" is explicitly racist it should be called out and opposed but you can't really stop people from borrowing images, ideas, clothing, food or music from other groups. Trying to do so will just make you sound like an out of touch scold.

I'd suggest that a better focus is the underlying relationships of power that make cultural appropriation so uneven. For instance, the real problem with white people "appropriating" the sound of black musicians in the 1950s was that black musicians didn't have the same access to musical recording studios or mass audiences. The way to fix that is to attack racism and economic inequality, not to try and police who is allowed to play certain types of music.

A lot of the implications of this discourse on cultural appropriation seem massively conservative if they are carried through to their logical conclusions. I have no desire to help defend "traditional" cultures that are often themselves highly ethnocentric and sexist. As long as the underlying power relationships are relatively balanced I don't really care who steals from who because literally every culture that exists is an amalgam of past cultures.

Thank you for this clear statement of exactly why "cultural appropriation" is a lousy, obfuscatory, and generally useless term.

• Locked thread