Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Jakcson posted:

'Das Kapital', volumes 1, 2, and 3, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.

It's not cool. Please stop appropriating communist culture unless you're born in Eastern Europe or China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

communist culture is inside your heart, frtiend

This is not a laughing matter. Eastern Europe is the place where the communist ideology has been first implemented, grew and (eventually) died. Now Western kids from stable liberal democracies, who never had problems with access to toilet paper, take chosen elements of communism and repurpose them to fit their needs. If this trend continues, everyone will think that this complicated and controversial ideology was about not wearing Japanese kimonos by Caucasians. I feel deeply offended by the people from the West trying to appropriate such an important element of Eastern European history.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Asian-Americans are the ones making the complaints about kimonos and kanji tattoos and poo poo. Asian-Asians don't give a poo poo. So explain to me how those things are fine and dandy unless you completely disregard the Asian-American perspective. It's hilarious you're accusing me of denying them agency when you're denying them ownership of their own heritage. I'm not the one who decided that kimonos and kanji are part of their heritage, they are

How is it different than kimonos and kanji tattoos? Symbols don't mean anything without interpretation, and Asian-Americans have determined that those things are close enough to gross racial caricatures to complain. The definition of 'gross racial caricature' is entirely subjective.

That's pretty much SJW.txt - the notion that a guy whose grandparents immigrated to the States from Osaka, doesn't speak Japanese and has never been in Asia, somehow gets more right to decide who can use kanji than a person born and raised in Japan.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Jarmak posted:

Really? This is what you were getting at? No, some 2nd and 3rd generation kids who are a minority within their own minority group do not get dictatorial powers over what people are allowed to appropriate from a culture they never actually lived in. Also trying to tie diffusion of the culture of immigrant groups to stuff like the destruction of the Native American culture through the label of "cultural appropriation" would be offensive if it wasn't so laughably stupid.

The best thing is that this mindset fits the definition of cultural appropriation like a glove. You have a group who is relatively privileged by speaking a more popular language and being able to disseminate their ideas faster. They took an element of the culture which they don't participate in and redefined its meaning to their needs. The whole reason they are able to be angry at white dudes getting kanji tattoos is because they took an alphabet commonly used by an entire nation and presented it as a set of sacred and mysterious symbols which only people of Asian descent can use. :irony:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

This is pretty simple. You're actually learning Chinese. So it's not appropriation.

Most of the problems people have in this thread with the concept of cultural appropriation (But isn't it just racism? Yes, it often is. So what? Am I appropriating if I become a professor of Chinese and name my house something in Chinese? No, you didn't appropriate, you participated) would be solved by thinking about it for five seconds before posting.

The tattoo thing is trivial. It's a trivial annoyance. it's still an annoyance. A very mildly racist thing is still racist. Nobody is saying that any bit of cultural appropriation is just as wrong as some huge gigantic bit of it.

The person who said that it doesn't matter because people are far away is still my favorite, that poo poo was hilarious. And who used 'but the Japanese appropriate culture so it must be okay', that was also a knee-slapper.

How does your definition hold up to Americans with Japanese ancestors who barely even know katakana, but still feel obliged to defend the sanctity of their people's mysterious, inscrutable character set? Because that's what was established within this thread - people in Japan are perfectly OK with this and this issue is most grating for people who don't use kanji in their everyday lives (and probably don't even do this often).

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

It's not about 'sanctity' at all, or about actually using it. One of the aspects of the integration of the Japanese into American society was that Japanese were forced to abandon their culture, language, etc. in order to integrate into the US. Part of this is natural assimilation, but a lot of it was due to intense hostility to Japanese culture--and lack of sufficient numbers/constant immigrants to refresh the culture. So it acts as a reminder that the reason they've lost this connection is that there was a huge social and cultural penalty to their ancestors here in the US for acting/speaking Japanese.

It seems that their connection to Japanese culture is very tenuous and the reason of their outrage is that they didn't get to participate in it? Wasn't cultural appropriation supposed to be bad because it takes away the control over a particular culture from the people who actually use it and changes it without their consent?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I disagree. Just because a bunch of people agree on something doesn't make it right. You are no one to judge if people's claims about Katy Perry are bullshit. People say the same thing about Iggy Azalea and people have real grievances against her. You are basically taking the "stop being so sensitive" stance instead of simply being respectful of people's wishes.

Who are you to say a wolf otherkin is bullshit? Just a bunch of people agreeing on something doesn't make that rigbt. You are no one to judge it. People say the same thing about blackface and people have real grievances against it.

If someone wants something to be true, who are you to say otherwise? Unless it's bigoted according to my personal definition, of course, then no holds barred.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

Everyone, including me, has said that cases should be judged on a case-by-case basis. Remember, the 'remedy' for most cultural appropriation is 'participate, rather than appropriate', and I can't see why that'd ever be resisted as an idea.

If you are an outsider, the boundary between appropriation and participation will always be blurred, though. Your interpretation of the culture you try to understand will be influenced by yours and, by being able to communicate faster and be understood by more people, your interpretation will always trump theirs. A dominant culture will always do that by definition. You can either avoid any contact with a minority culture entirely, or accept the fact you're going to contaminate it simply by interacting with it.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

Sure. I don't know why people obsess over this. It is true about anything. There are no sharp dividing lines.

You're not 'contaminating' it. The point isn't to keep that culture pure, it's to make the transmission voluntary, and a real exchange. A big part of this happens at the economic level, and you're focusing only on the cultural bits. There can be cases where the cultural transmission is completely voluntary, like with Brubeck giving black musicians the chance to learn from him by integrating his bands. But it doesn't end with that, it's also the decision of Time Magazine to choose Brubeck and not Ellington for their cover, it's the choices of owners of music venues to segregate, and in the end the unwillingness of the culture as a whole to listen to black music because of moral panic, which wasn't just some gestalt of human consciousness, but was an active policy pursued by outspoken racists. Human beings are not naturally fanatically racist. Humans may or may not be naturally kinda racist, but the amount of racism in the US was insane. It got that way because of actual people doing actual things, fomenting hate, using it for political ends, and making money off of it, sometimes by directly ripping off black songs and sometimes by just not fighting to integrate, to get white audiences to listen to black music, to just going along with the racism while shrugging and saying there's nothing they can do.

It's worth noting that these transactions will never be really voluntary, in the sense that the dominant culture will always have more clout. Even by encouraging majority consumers to listen to minority music creates an economic pressure on minority musicians to cater to the needs of the majority. Obviously it's much better than just copying everything and never crediting your inspiration, but it doesn't leave much control in the minority hands anyway.

The problem begins when crediting original authors is not possible, because the copied element is a part of the public domain, like Kanji or kimonos. Cultures are not organizations, there is no committee that could approve your derivative work. This thread's general stance is that even if one person gets offended by you using elements of their culture, this offence is fully legitimate. Even if the person in question has only a tenuous link to the culture in question, it doesn't make their outrage invalid. In practice, this means you should probably steer clear from other cultures unless you want to offend someone.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

It makes it all the more ethical imperative to try your absolute best to include that minority group, on every level, I agree.

My stance is that 'fully legitimate' is a dumb thing to call someone getting offended. If someone is actually offended, they're actually offended. It may be dumb, but it's an actual emotion they're experiencing. Some people are offended by white people marrying black people. We're not going to do anything about that, because they're offended at something that's good. All we can do is take a look at the offense on a case-by-case basis and make a decision. If wearing cross-cultural fashion matters more to you than offending a group of people, then go for it. It's hardly some huge sin, and it's arguable that you're doing good, despite appropriating, by challenging the dominant norms. At a certain trivial point, it's like people becoming 'fans' of the Red Sox when they started doing well--those of us who were fans knew they weren't, know their interest was fake, and it kind of hosed up some of our environments and was irritating. I'm perfectly happy agreeing that we should focus on larger issues of cultural appropriation than clothing, but if we happen to be talking about cultural appropriation, might as well cover that too. However, as I've already stipulated, it's a trivial thing, as is the kanji tattoo stuff.

We're doing much better in this era about the appropriation of hip-hop and rap, versus to how well we did with the appropriation of rock and roll. Progress is possible. Nifty.

Outrage can totally be illegitimate and you even provided a suitable example in the bolded part of your post. You even seem to agree with that, given that you told it's perfectly OK to ignore someone's indignation from various reasons. It's natural to shun some values and opinions and even the most stalwart social justice activists tend to do that. A half of this thread is composed of angry posters calling others names for not agreeing with their definition of cultural appropriation. The only time when some of them pretend that judging others is wrong is when their side is attacked.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Let us English posted:

Engagement rings are "down payment on a virgin vagina" http://www.salon.com/2013/10/08/engagement_rings_are_barbaric_partner/

(For the record, all the "villains" on Thomas and Friends are the dirty diesel engines. I'd like to think there was a good environmental message in there, but when the good engines pump out white smoke and the bad engines pump out black smoke – and they are all pumping out smoke – it's not hard to make the leap into the race territory.)"http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents#start-of-comments "

If someone decides that the color of smoke in a children cartoon is a veiled insult against their race, who are you to tell them otherwise? Have you noticed that the coal they burn in their furnaces is always black? Take that, reactards.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

It's frankly more than a little disturbing to see the complete collapse of culture in this way. No wonder so many people feel that appropriation is inevitable and necessary, when they think that their mother culture is meaningless and everything in it is pure poo poo. It's just the more cynical version of seeing a plastic shaman or believing in the healing power of crystals. This is frankly far more of a concern for leftism than children saying dumb things on social media.

Thankfully there are enlightened leftists ready to lecture these ignorant savages about the importance of their native culture.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

SedanChair posted:

We should always be aware when black is used to mean bad and white is used to mean good. Are you saying we shouldn't?

Black was frequently linked with the night, which was viewed as evil because humans are diurnal. Also, black smoke is viewed as worse than the white one, because the former is full of carbonized particles and toxic, while the latter consists only of vaporized water particles. Trying to link it to racial relations is beyond stupid.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

SedanChair posted:

And then those metaphorical concepts were applied to people, and the terms have been racially weighted ever since. I don't know if you've noticed, but people are not black or white, they are different shades of brown, beige and tan.

Asians are also not yellow, but this was the color they were assigned. Does it symbolize anything on good/evil scale or maybe it's more about Paragon/Renegade axis?

Effectronica posted:

Unfortunately, whitey, so long as people are going to be described in terms of colors, we should probably avoid having any of those colors be primarily negative or positive.

In this case, black smoke is really worse than the white one, as in it has more compounds that will seriously gently caress up your lungs in the long run. Its presence also generally means there is something wrong with your furnace.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Well, gweilo, that's irrelevant to what I said, and is just you puling about how stupid anything other than braindead philosophical materialism is.

Said the guy raging against racist portrayal of trains from a children cartoon.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

It seriously boggles my mind that people in this forum want to argue like this.

But what is forum? Could you define the concept? Let's suppose we discuss at 4chan, does it still count as a forum? What if we communicate by encrypted mail instead and then disseminate each post to everyone else? What if we communicate by clay tablets?

My point is, you can't prove we use forums instead of communicating with any other medium, therefore your exasperation is irrelevant.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Now we get to the part of the GBS checklist where the whining becomes pitiful.

Could you define what do you mean by this mysterious thing called "GBS"?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

That's kind of mocking your side, actually. i'm saying that communicating at 4chan or here are both communicating on forums. You guys are saying that 'cultural appropriation' is an unsuitable term because of 'reasons' and we shouldn't talk about it/it is actively bad to talk about it.

One of the dangers of parody is how quickly it becomes self-parody.

It's just that when you discuss this topic, you try to stall as much as possible - misinterpret words and discuss their other meanings (like when you couldn't understand how can anyone say that outrage could be invalid) and demand everyone to give you a definition of every concept they used. When this doesn't work, you escape into solipsism and pretend no one can really define anything, because it's in their heads. Sprinkle it with some passive-aggressive suggestions, like "You can ignore other people's outrage if you don't care", write it to span several paragraphs packed with text and you get a wholesome Obdicut post. The end result gets as much content as Effectronica's one-liners, but people have to spend several minutes on reading and analysis to realize this. This makes them much more annoying and tiresome.

To sum this up, I suspect you gave up on discussing and are trying to win by wearing your opponents down.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

How can you have a discussion on this issue with you, when anyone who has a different opinion on the matter has exactly the opinion you think is bad, and is also furious? How can you discuss ephemeral concepts with a materialist meaningfully? Why should people discuss things with you, when you have demonstrated you have no interest in discussing things?

edit: By the way, I'm gonna take a page out of your book and assume that you're arguing in favor of child molestation if you disagree with me on this. Fair warning.

It's mostly about signal-to-noise ratio. If someone complains that a concept is vague and lumps too many different things together, you probably shouldn't try to make it even more vague, demand to define it solely case-by-case or, as in case of Obdicut, argue that you can't really be sure of anything anyway.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

I don't, though. When someone says that cultural appropriation is too vague a term, I ask why. That's because it's the topic of the thread, and important. I don't ask it about every concept. You can tell this because there's very few things I've asked for the definition of.

That must be why I just restated my contentions--that cultural appropriation is not isolated--and gave reasons why. Do you want to talk about cultural appropriation? Do you agree with Thug Lessons that cultural appropriation exists in isolated and unrelated incidents, as opposed to racism? Do you have any problems with what I said about cultural appropriation, or anything you want clarity on?

I have problems with cultural appropriation because the examples you give are not consistent with every definition you tried to make. First it was about the dominant culture taking an element of minority culture and using it differently, causing its message to distort. OK, fine. But the examples people are actually upset about are the ones that don't fit. Japanese-Americans being upset about white people misusing kanji and kimonos are probably most grating, because it's not an element of their culture to begin with and the elements themselves are used in the way that doesn't conflict with their purpose (in the culture that actually invented them and used them, instead of just treating them as symbols of what they think they lost). There is also the weird claim that European cultures can't be ever appropriated, which was pretty stupid - the commercialization of Christmas and legendary figures such as Santa Claus is pretty much a model example of cultural appropriation. During the discussion, the definition shifted into "majority culture taking an element of minority culture, but if they don't try to understand it hard enough".

quote:

I've never said anything close to nobody being able to define anything, in the least. That's kind of what I"m arguing against, actually, that even if you can't come up with a technical, precise definition of cultural appropriation (or racism, or sexism) they are still useful umbrella concepts.

Useful for what exactly? What do you gain by lumping white musicians copying music from black artists and never crediting them along with white people with dreadlocks?

quote:

If you think I've said something like "You can't really define anything because it's in their heads", then quote that post. You can't, because it's bullshit: i never said anything like that.

quote:

I've never argued anything close to 'you can't really be sure of anything'. I am, in fact, arguing the opposite. The person I'm arguing against has said that you can't tie together these--to him--isolated incidents of cultural appropriation in any meaningful way, that cultural appropriation doesn't meany anything. I am arguing against that.

How, in your head, does that turn into me arguing you can't really be sure of anything? Can you cite what post started this idea in your head?

It's like I said your definition sucks and you demanded a photo where it performs an oral sexual act. You took a hyperbole and chose to interpret it as a statement. I'm not going through all your posts again to cite all the places where you tried to make the topic as obtuse as possible. If you want a good example, go to the post where you argued that if you can't clearly define cultural appropriation, you can't also define racism.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

It wasn't first just about distorting the message, no. I have consistently said the kanji/kimono stuff is very small scale. I never made the claim that European cultures can't be appropriated, and in fact pointed out the appropriation of one. My definition didn't shift, I have talked about participation versus appropriation since the start.

When you say 'you', do you not mean me but 'every other poster in this thread who thinks cultural appropriation exists'? I think you're confusing me with others.

You asked about why I consider the definition of cultural appropriation unclear or vague. I thought you meant the definition functioning within the thread, not specifically your definition.

quote:

Because a similar mechanism of action is at work in both places. Something from one culture, with meaning inside that culture, has been removed from its context and put into another culture. Again, my main problem is not the white musicians, who often were very participatory, but with the structure of radio stations, labels, producers, clubs, etc. at the time, who were the ones who insisted that the black music be separated from its roots.

Again, to help you understand, this is like asking "What do you gain by lumping white teachers placing more black students into remedial classes than their white peers who perform at the same level with black people getting disproportionate prison sentences?" You can put up any two particular aspects of any concept together and ask how they're related.

Actually, in many of these examples, nothing gets removed from its context. Kanji is an alphabet and its only function is to communicate Japanese words. Kimono and sari are garments, worn in the past for various purposes, but mostly to look good. If a Westerner puts them on because they look exotic, it is still within bounds of their normal use. Compare it to the war bonnet, which is used strictly for ceremonial purposes. It's like trying to present wearing a suit and dressing up as a Catholic pope as the same thing.

quote:

But I do think you can define cultural appropriation. I do think you can define racism. So again, how are you not actually on my side with this argument?

So if it was hyperbole for me to say that you can't really define anything, what was it hyperbole of? Because I haven't said anything close to it, and have, if anything, said the opposite. So your defense of hyperbole really doesn't make a ton of sense.

Sorry then, I must have misunderstood your intentions.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

I fail to see how the engagement ring ritual directly relates to domestic violence.

Keep in mind we're talking about how engagement rings used to represent something like a bride price, or reflected how women were seen as "property" in a business arrangement. I doubt very much that many people view it this way any longer, women or men. Nowadays it's simply a ritual. Maybe a wasteful, empty one, but it hardly carries the same connotations it once did.

It's like satanism in Harry Potter - repeatedly seeing the main character waving a wand and spouting bad Latin makes you more susceptible to diabolic influence. When you buy an engagement ring, you follow a misogynistic ritual imprinting your brain with hatred towards women. Reactionary propaganda is everywhere and you need constant vigilance to prevent the sin from entering your thoughts. You can never be sure enough whether a seemingly fun activity isn't a gateway towards violence and membership in a neo-nazi party.

Fortunately, the Satan white men occasionally slip and leave hidden codes in their works, like their prejudice towards black smoke. Perhaps if you look at the ring long enough, you'll see its resemblance to a manacle - the spot with the diamond is where normally chain should go. It's usually made of gold or other precious metal. symbolizing the power of market over people. Diamonds represent tears of enslaved women, shackled to their owner. The tradition of the man kneeling before the woman is a clever deception meant to soften the symbolic blow - just like the capitalist poses as a benefactor to oppress their employees, the would-be groom pretends to humble himself before his chosen to get her to accept the poisonous gift.

Don't believe false prophets telling you that rituals can lose their significance with time - this is what the white man wants you to believe. It's true, but only for minority cultures. Cultural artifacts created by the Adversary are like radioactive waste - in 5000 years they may be safe to watch from a safe distance for several minutes. Don't risk your soul to follow a tradition!

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Obdicut posted:

The idea has always seemed kinda silly to me because you're going to share finances after you're married anyway.

Not always - many married pairs keep their finances partially separate to avoid having to grovel for permission when they want to buy something their partner doesn't like.

Effectronica posted:

You know that nobody's actually going to crucify you, in real life, and that your attempt at martyrdom just looks insane, right?

What kind of martyrdom posting on comedy forums might entail?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

This is barely English- are you crying right now? Making some educated guesswork, I believe you're asking why you'd martyr yourself on a "comedy forums". Well, that's what I'd like to know, because it's very strange behavior indeed, ranting about how much hatred falls upon white people and so on.

For a person so dedicated to social justice, you could probably cut a foreigner some slack for not speaking your dominant language perfectly. Some of us actually speak in less useful languages in our everyday lives and have to struggle to make an English sentence with proper grammar. Check your privilege.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Why is it that just about everyone that likes to rant about liberalism and make grotesque accusations has a blatant glass jaw? Like, what, do you expect people to thank you for insulting them?

Um, dude, my English sucks and I know it. I just find it funny that you spend a lot of time harping about American dominance and privilege, but criticizing a foreigner for writing a mangled sentence in your native language is still all right for you if you dislike them. It's like seeing a fire-and-brimstone Christian priest visiting a gay bar.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

You see nothing wrong with writing snide posts about how everyone on the wrong side of the issue is a tyrannical insane racist, but apparently there's something wrong with them punching back. Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

You punched back by going against everything you espouse. The main reason your English skills are better is because you speak this language nearly since you were born and think in it, while I started to learn it in early high school. I will probably never speak or write in English as well as you. It's pretty much a definition of privilege and you chose to flaunt it just to score points in a forums discussion. Then you basically told me I'm too sensitive and it's my fault you're angry.

This is pretty much the main difference between a social justice activist and an angry Tumblr kid. The former can actually see the logical consequences of their beliefs and adjust them before they get ridiculous. The latter doesn't even understand what they preach and tries to compensate it with confidence and righteous anger. If you're ever wondering which type you are, remember this thread - the place where you ranted against racist black smoke and attempted a sick burn by criticizing language skills of a foreigner.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Interesting, so you espouse calling people racists to win arguments.

Calling someone out on their hypocrisy is not the same as espousing their views.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

All right, we've got the straight line here with "Heh, those, uh, I can't say the f-word can I, well those don't know poo poo about poo poo", and then the punchline right afterwards. This is a drat fine joke.

It really seems like most of the people who jump in to whine about whatever bit of liberalism is political correctness gone mad have no real ideology beyond hatred and contempt. For example, people whose standards of judgement are only ever the ones they think the people arguing with them have, like Gantolandon, and apparently yourself.

There is a lot of projecting here, given that you keep claiming I accused you of racism, instead of being a hypocrite.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Except that it is not up to the person doing the wearing to decide that. It is up to the people it offends, and if they can provide a decent reason for it, including stuff like "I do not like it because it takes something and makes it poo poo".

It's not like it is art or artistry designed to push at boundaries, it is simply mockery for the sake of it.

Who are you to decide what a decent reason is, you goddamn reactionary!? :argh: :ussr:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

Pretty much every successful empire ever rose to power because it learned how to appropriate cultures. Still haven't seen any concrete solution in this thread on how to stop that, or discourage people from doing it.

It's not that they even had to especially try. One of the perks of being an empire is that your culture spreads faster and reaches more people. It's more inevitable than capitalism, because non-capitalist economic systems actually existed. Yet people still think it's an easier target and you can fight it by shaming enough people for wearing war bonnets.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

People don't like being ruled by different looking/acting people. All the successful empires realized this and that to stay in power they needed to appropriate the local customs and ideas, this would naturally lead to things like food and dress being appropriated as well. The greatest form of cultural appropriation is the co-opting of culture for an agenda which is what you want to do to motivate people or make them like your ideas and goals more.

Except that this presents it as more intentional and shrewd than it usually is. People just like to spread their cultures, no matter what. Cultures have to promote being spread, because without new people they are going to stagnate and die.

When two cultures intersect, the only way the ideas from one culture could enter the other is to make them more palatable. Or rather - the ideas that aren't palatable enough don't get an influx of new hosts who could spread them even further. This is how a lot of historical cultural appropriation used to be done - Roman adopting gods of the conquered people to their pantheons, or Christian missionaries adopting native legends to their religion. There were probably many Romans and Christians who didn't want to dilute their message, but it didn't matter because there were some who did and their ideas were the ones that got spread.

There is also the matter of cultures being closely connected with economic systems, which are in turn hard to separate from material world. Adopting the dominant culture is easier, because you can find its traces everywhere around you. It is also a no-brainer - it means more opportunities, more social contacts, better access to goods, etc. Everything else becomes a non-concern. Trying to preserve a culture without giving it their own resources and leaving it relatively isolated (so it could develop its own economy) is impossible. Without this, those cultures will inevitably dissolve, leaving at best some ideas without context that are going to be picked up by the dominant culture.

That's why fighting cultural appropriation is pointless. It's not what causes minority cultures to dissolve, it's just a symptom of their dissolution.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

This is why the Holocaust never happened- Jews and Roma are a fiction, a fable, having been assimilated centuries beforehand.

Sure thing dude, the Holocaust is a great example of cultural appropriation. Which integral elements of Jewish culture did the Nazis appropriate by murdering them?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Would you be kind enough to read what was actually written? This is not what I said.

What was written was a cryptic one liner, which main function was to appear edgy and funny at the same time.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Interesting attempt at telepathy, but the point was that if your theory was right, Jewish cultures and Romany cultures would have been destroyed centuries before, instead of existing to this day, and the Holocaust could never have happened. In other words, your theory, put out to sail the seas of history, immediately hit a reef and sank.

Actually, Jews lived in relative isolation until 19th century and their economy was at least partially separated from other Europeans. They were the people who did the jobs Christians thought as dishonorable - like usury or innkeeping. Even then their culture dissolved a lot in European, but it fared pretty well compared to others.

The Roma, on the other hand, they were the group with their own economy that barely participated in the European one and lived in isolation, so I'm not sure why their continued existence would disprove my point.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

You just described them as being fully integrated into the European economy as a distinct caste, but then you go around to how their "culture dissolved a lot", which uh, seems to deny the possibility of cultural change. Interesting, but no one will whirl on you and denounce you as a racist from the whiner camp.

So now we move on to the idea that Roma populations were economically isolated from Europe overall, which is something that requires a very unusual definition of "isolation" and relies primarily on an inaccurate stereotype borne of Western European attempts to deal with the Roma migration. In most of Eastern and Southern Europe, where the policies differed, substantial parts of the Roma population established sedentary or semi-nomadic lifestyles while retaining a Romani cultural identity. In any case, even the nomadic tinsmith-fortuneteller model from old horror movies is still a picture of a marginal caste that nevertheless is economically integrated.

If you live within a pretty insular culture that shuns unnecessary contact with outsiders, if people outside your culture at very least distrust you because of either real or imagined slights performed by your compatriots, if your only option to live decently in the bounds of the dominant culture is to completely uproot your previous life and lose support of your compatriots without any guarantee you'll be liked or even trusted, it's still isolation. It's hard to see someone as integrated if the society doesn't see them in any other role than an outsider and occasional scapegoat. Their economic relations with the rest of the Europe magnified their isolation even more, because even the roles they were able to perform were stereotypical.

Same with Jews - they were a part of European medieval economy, even an important one. Still, it amounted to performing roles considered impious by Christians and they didn't have many more career choices unless they converted (and even then were considered suspicious). For a long time, there were not many reasons for them to reach outside their culture, because they couldn't have expected anything good there anyway. A lot of them still integrated and lost their cultural identity, but enough remained to preserve it. There are still pretty different from the people who left Judea near the beginning of the first millenium.

Also, I'm not sure why did you bring Holocaust, because it was racially motivated, not culturally. Practicing Jews and easily identifiable Romani people were an easier target, but people who considered themselves Germans with wrong ancestors were still persecuted. It had nothing to do with integration or lacking of thereof.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Is this a model of cultural change that you developed yourself? Because treating it like the obvious truth when it's just based on your reckons is pretty weird.

I'm a bit baffled, because the way I presented my opinion wasn't very different from how anyone else did it within this thread.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

First of all, no they weren't. Stereotypes against Romani have been aimed at other nomadic groups like Travellers on the British Isles for a long time and the most likely conclusion is that stereotypes about Romani (thieves, tinsmiths, etc.) are derived from this association with other nomadic peoples rather than the other way around, apart from some mystical stereotypes (eg Tarot) which appear to relate to the belief that Romani were "Egyptian".

Second of all, you're using a very malleable definition of "isolation", since initially it seemed to require an independent economy, and now all it requires is simply being placed into an inferior caste.

Thirdly, if Jewish and Romani identity had disappeared centuries before, it would be hard, nay, impossible for antisemitism and antiziganism to survive, since they'd be aimed at invisible targets that would have disseminated themselves throughout the community and thus implicated most of the society. So there would be no Holocaust because none of the ideology that supported it would have any traction. It would be like trying to purge descendants of Robert the Bruce today.

I'm not sure how your first paragraph counters what I've written. Could you elaborate?

I never claimed that isolation required an independent economy, only that a culture can't survive unchanged with its economy completely integrated into the dominant one.

As for the Nazis, they considered everyone who didn't conform to their definition of racial purity as inferior. Slavs weren't targeted because of their distinct cultural identity, but because they were considered a lesser race and happened to live where Nazi Germany wanted to expand. Existing antisemitism made it easier for Hitler to begin purges, but even without an existing Jewish culture, the Jews could still have become a racial boogeyman.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

I think here's where I disagree with you. If someone took a specific work of another artist, minority or not, and resold as their own creation, then that's a problem. If someone was inspired by a sound or look or etc and rolled that into their own work without copying a specific expression that's literally how art works and being butthurt about it seems inappropriate.

The main problem is how the industry chooses to promote or ignore certain artists, which is also dependent of characteristics such as race, though. It's not only about what people like, because they can only like what's presented to them in the first place. If black music is obscure, but there is plenty of well-known and advertised white artists who play nearly exactly the same thing, there is no reason to think they all succeeded or failed according to their skills or likability. The artists who were passed over just to see other people getting multi-million dollar contracts for derived work have every right to feel deceived.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

There are tons of successful black artists what are you talking about. There were successful black artists playing Rock and Roll. There were white and black influences that fed into the genre and literally everyone playing was drawing on prior work as an influence.

There are also tons of artists of all ethnicities who never get picked up and promoted by a label despite being likeable and talented. Only a tiny minority of acts get that kind of support. The music biz has been like that since there was a music biz.

I suppose less successful musicians have been butthurt about that since there was a music biz, too, but so what?

The music biz promotes what it considers marketable. It's far from being a meritocracy. The argument that something isn't popular because there was no demand for it is a pet peeve of mine and I fight it wherever it appears.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

In what sense could the music biz ever be a meritocracy?

edit:

Or maybe a different question is more appropriate. What do you mean by a meritocracy?

Is it an industry that promotes the artists who make the best work, however best is defined? Or one that supports artists to varying degrees depending on the quality of that work? Or something else?

edit2:

Or are you saying that many acts that aren't popular could be popular if only they were promoted, and because they aren't the business is not a meritocracy?

My point was that promotion is at least as much important as talent and quality of work and is pretty much a prerequisite to get multi-million dollar contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

How about Asian-Americans who feel differently? Do they not exist, are they insane, just wrong, bananas, etc.?

Can't say anything about Asian-Americans, but I'd be really amused if I saw a third-generation Polish emigree crying about Americans appropriating kielbasa.

• Locked thread