Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

TheImmigrant posted:

Liberace and Freddie Mercury.

wham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CarrKnight posted:

I am honestly not trying to prove a point or some crazy "gotcha!".
But cultural exchange will happen in this world, with existing inequalities and with real people who tend to be ignorant. In fact, when it comes to other cultures, you are by definition ignorant about them. Assume ignorance.
I really think it's the right setup to ask the question.

So in this example, who is the victim? It can't be the food or the cuisine since it has no feelings. It can't be Chinese (broadly defined) families cooking at home, since they know better. It can't be "authentic" competitors since consumers are not bound to put a premium on authenticity. It may be the appropriators themselves since they consume quite below-par product. But it seems like a fairly harmless appropriation overall.

Let me add something. We have 2 decent Chinese takeout places, and one nicer sitdown place, close to where I've lived the last 25 years. I've become friendly with the owners (who, of course, are always working at the stores). Over time I've come to learn that all three are Vietnamese, and came over during the boat people crisis. They're Vietnamese, selling (inauthentic but popular) Chinese food, in upstate NY. Who are the appropriators in this scenario? Who are they appropriating from, given that take out Chinese that you get in most of the US isn't anything like actual Chinese food, and that the people that own and run these places aren't Chinese.

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 17, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

I didn't say anything about being forced to abandon culinary traditions, you're inventing that as a strawman. I didn't say anything about how chop suey was bad, you're inventing that as a strawman. Soon, once my ascension is complete, compulsive liars such as yourself shall have your faces torn off by the silvery angels of joy and peace.

Even by your own horrible standard, you're becoming unhinged. You think it might be time for a nap?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

You're forty+ years old and started posting on this website. Why can't you have a more normal midlife crisis?

Yeah, it is. Do you not see any difference between saying what category something is and doing that thing? Granted, like most of the people in this thread, the only thing you care about is being seen to make a stand against the forces of barbarism.

You're worried about MY crisis?

You really seem to be able to stake out the absolute worst position on any given topic, then get more and more strident as people call you out on it. Congratulations on being The Worst Poster, I guess

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

The fun part of any thread like this is when the culture warriors start letting their real feelings slip.

See what I mean? The deadliest insults they can imagine- autistic, ethnic fetishist, capitalizing "bad poster" so that everyone can tell the gloves are coming off- it's great.

It's not splitting hairs or nitpicking to distinguish between something being labeled as part of a category and something being practiced, and the entire argument is that nothing short of a SWAT team busting down the door and shooting anyone that cooks egg foo young counts. Even though the fact that egg foo young is "inauthentic" does damage the ability of people to sell it, since it becomes a low-class food, something that earns you a black mark when people review your restaurant or food truck- and reviews are a big deal in the food business. This "authenticity", not that the culture warriors care, is generated by primarily white elites.

What the gently caressing gently caress are you even talking about now? I don't know about all the gimmicks, you're just a lovely person with bad opinions. Now a Chinese take out place that serves egg foo young is somehow committing a hate crime, got it. I'll have to let the restaurants know. Maybe you should start a service where you can go in and explain to the ignorant savages what they're allowed to serve. Effectronica, white savior of noble savages!

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

TheImmigrant posted:

Yeah, it's a bit rich when a forums Aspie who is trolled into apoplexy at the drop of a hat casts aspersions on the lives of others. Cultural appropriation, as a theory embraced by the ethnic fetishists here, is something exactly no one outside of the academy cares about.

Actually, CA is something that adults make fun of tumblerinas for caring about. Seems to fit pretty well whats going on here.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

You are forty years old and posting on a webforum to yell at younger people to get off your lawn.

So you're concerned about CA, and I'm sure a whole list of other tumblerina stuff, but engage in ageism? So you're really just a troll then, I guess your red text is largely based in reality, because nobody could possibly, in reality, be as dysfunctionally hosed up as you.

edit: your desire to tell Vietnamese what they can serve in the Restaurants they own chalks you up as a racist too. Disgusting human all around.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

Nobody is being forced. They are disadvantaged if they do something, but they can keep doing it. It constrains but doesn't determine.

You are forty years old and spent ten dollars to post this.

Noted racist child, Effectronica, comments on other posters, news at 11

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

You spent ten bucks you could have spent on six months of Fortune, or model trains, or a shitload of Werther's Originals.

You obviously can't stand behind your odious assertion that Chinese take out places are "Cultural Appropriation" or pretty much anything else so you plea poverty? That's your strategy here? Sorry $10 is a notable amount to you, maybe since you don't seem to have too much going for you, spend more time trying to improve yourself and less confirming to the world what a noxious rear end in a top hat you are.

are you going to let us know why you think that Chinese takeout is cultural appropriation? Those non-whites sure are lucky to have a xuy/xal like you to show them the error of their ways!

edit: I hope your legal guardian didn't get your vaccinated

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 17, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if there is someone in Tokyo right now arguing exactly what Effectronica is over Pizza Hut, but over mayo on pizza instead of what pizza became from what it originally was.

Only white americans are capable of Cultural Appropriation - Effectronica, noted racist and all around idiot

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

I don't think that. The only thing I think is that you should have your eyes put out with a screwdriver, and your fingers whacked off with a breadknife! LMAO!

So, you're in the habit of posting things, then when you get called out, you throw around lots of (lame, frankly) insults, then when people persist in calling you out, you deny that you made a claim, and threaten violence. You're obviously a legitimate and serious poster. Never has a custom title been better earned.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

Pauline Kael molests the children in his neighborhood on a regular basis. He sees it as protecting them from the "tumblrina scourge".

Stop molesting children.

Wow, you must really be embarrassed by your own work here to resort to that. Even your fellow travelers seem to have gotten off your train.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Jarmak posted:

Stop producing the traditional thing that has been falsely labeled inauthentic, I mean gently caress, this is your argument.

Don't call him out, you'll be accused of molesting children. It's all he's got since his argument is unsupportable.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Morkyz posted:

sedan chair getting "of the train" is literally one of the best things i can imagine though

Perhaps Sedan Chair knows the golden rule of hole digging better then effectronica. Then again, Sedan Chair is an adult.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

But that's not what I argued. I argued that they are disadvantaged if they produce the "inauthentic" foods, which don't have to be traditional. But if that counts as coercion, there are a lot of things that are coercive, much more than anyone would normally argue.

You are a child molester, and keep flailing about to cover it up. Your wife does nothing about it because she fears you'd start murdering the children afterwards.

Noted racist Effectronica keeps digging. Why do you think that the owners of ethnic restaurants are suffering from cultural appropriation? Or wait, are you arguing that that are committing it (against themselves!) Do you have even a child's understanding of market economics and small business? Ha, of course you don't.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

It's cool that if you lie about what someone has said and you're on the right side of things, you get a whole bunch of people supporting you. But if you're on the left side, you can't even put a toe out of line without a horde of culture warriors riding to the fray.

If you want to call your logically inconsistent and racist opinion about CA a 'side' then go ahead. It's really more of a mushy pile of bad opinions mixed up with your special brand of toxic personality. saying that a Chinese takeout place is committing (and being victimized by!) CA is pants on head retarded. it's only because the rest of your opinions and the things you say are so jaw droppingly stupid that nobody else wants to be known as your ally. Weird that, everyone else must be a gold plated idiot, and you're a racist child genius.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

Do you wish you could act like this in real life? Because you can. Anytime. The power is within your reach.

No, actually, you're kind of like a real-life object lesson of how not to be. Kids, behave yourself, and don't be racist idiots, or people will call you effectronica!

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Squinty posted:

I only pop in this thread when people talk about Asian stuff because I think it's entertaining to be lectured by people on the internet on how me and my culture have been victimized by white culture. Meanwhile, Asian Americans are loving crushing in the American food industry and can sell lo mein or balut or stinky tofu if they want, thanks in part to the efforts of people like our friend Mr. Chiang to give white people a more accessible entry point to Asian cuisine.

Oh well if you're Asian, hang around and let effectronica tell you how it's Cultural Appropriation for non-whites to sell anything that isn't 100% authentic cuisine of whatever culture from which they hail. Note though, do not sell any kind of food except that exact variety because if you're Vietnamese and sell Chinese food (even Americanized stuff! it doesnt matter) than you're part of the problem.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

You can do as you please. But if you don't listen to Morris Day and the Time or Sly and the Family Stone I reserve the right to find you laughable.

Why you? What is your special hook into those particular groups?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

VideoGames posted:

i used to think different people meeting, talking, sharing and propagating their learnings was chill and cool.

but now I have come to understand that it is actually offensive to everyone constantly and that severe wrongdoings and injustice is the norm. i think we should live in colourless cocoons from now on to save us from this barrage of offense.

Agreed. Any sort of cultural/scientific/technological progress must be kept within the border of the nation or ethnicity from whence it sprung. This is surely the only way to protect the downtrodden and make sure that nobody inadvertently (or vertently!) causes offense, to anyone, ever. Now what the hell am I going to do with this case lot of rubber tomahawks?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

wateroverfire posted:

The tradgedy of leftism is turning everything into an outrage.

This is a good point, thank you for making it. Once everything is an outrage, nothing is an outrage.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm really glad D&D has managed to produce 60 pages of cogent discussion of this totally real and not made up* phenomenon. Can anyone summarize for me what we've accomplished in this thread w/r/t clarifying the D&D mass line?

*not even a little bit

Namely that whitey bad and anything that a white american uses that may have originated in another culture is CA and also

Thankfully we have Effectronica and VitalSigns to tell us what horrible people we are and to white knight that poor woman from that country in Africa

edit: just like to add, not sure this is a completely tumblerina-only phenomena. My 15 year old came home this week telling me that they discussed CA in 10th grade Social Studies class, in a very blue collar school. I told her she's no longer allowed to braid her hair or eat shrimp lo mein

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 24, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Nonsense posted:

Thats clearly a fakepost, and :lol: in general at what amounts to WND levels of entertainment.
How do you know fakepost from realpost? Are fakeposts anything that make your pet cause look stupid?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Ormi posted:

Maybe just stop and give your opponent the benefit of the doubt instead of sticking them with the stupidest thing you can find from a completely anonymous source. It's already intellectually dishonest, but there's a documented history of people making fake tumblr and Twitter accounts to post things just like that and manufacture outrage. That account in particular was one of them IIRC, that's why it was censored in the screencap when redistributed.

You're right, I should respect the leading voices raising awareness about Cultural Appropriation and never associate them with the teeming hordes of tumblerinas and Professional Outrageists complaining about Gwen Stefani and the take out Chinese place

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Shayu posted:

You need to ask before you borrow something that doesn't belong to you, right? So why not just ask before you borrow a culture? I think I've solved this problem, everyone can go home.

Good point. My German family awaits your permission slip for use of a car.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CarrKnight posted:

No. Every example about CA brought forward turned out to be about something else. CA is terrible precisely because it is deployed so poorly.

CA, within the context discussed in this thread, and the times I've encountered it in the wild, is nothing more than a bludgeon for intemperate Tumblerinas to yell at their dads and other assorted miscreants to try to force their half baked ideas on others. The supposed victims of CA, like the previously mentioned take out Chinese restaurant owner, want nothing to do with the driving philosophy of so many overweight white teenage other kin

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CarrKnight posted:

Not everybody who disagrees with you (and me) has dyed hair and signs herself with #killallmen. Get over it.

Huh? You might be in the wrong thread. I mean, I'm sure there is some overlap between #killallmen and #angryaboutsushi but I didn't think I was describing garden variety angry feminists. People who (non ironically!) bring up CA as a tool to badger other people are profoundly childish and pretty much the textbook definition of Tumblerina

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Cole posted:

no, we're talking about white dudes singing along with rap music

Don't forget white male Americans eating Italian Ice, literally shaking here, don't even get me started on Taco Bell

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

Obsicut: "I am talking about this"

Pauline Kael "No, I've decided you are talking about something completely different because it validates my fears of swarthy Italians and Mexicans taking away my desserts"

You can pretend the concept of CA is whatever you like. The reality of CA, as used in 'popular' culture is a lot closer to how I'm describing it than some abstract academic concept, but by all means line up with fat angry white teenagers, I'm sure you'll fit right in

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Obdicut posted:

There's nothing appropriate about opening doors for women, though.

Yet, D&D person of note Obdicut feels perfectly within his privilege to speak for women. They sure are lucky to have a progressive champion like you to tell them what's appropriate and what isn't so they don't have to worry their pretty little heads over it! You disgusting loving sexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Obdicut posted:

I'm not speaking for women.

So you're a liar too. Opening doors for women is inappropriate. That's what you said. You seem, in your pedantry, to have gotten your wires crossed. Stop speaking for women. In fact, just stop speaking.

• Locked thread