Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

ppropriation doesn't lead to a diversity of thought, it impedes it. When the majority culture appropriates a thing it just reshapes it to fit into the already-existing molds that everything in the culture already fits into. Cultural appropriation of Buddhist meditation doesn't lead to a new take on it.
Really? Because your example seems to show quite the opposite.
A new, superficial, "new age", Buddhist-like subculture has just emerged. You imply that's a bad thing, but why? It is not authentic but that's a neutral characteristic. You might think so, but that's about that.
Were these hippies you like to punch to take up completely authentic Buddhism, what would be the added value to diversity? None.

quote:

There is nobody saying that cultural appropriation may be somewhat positive and somewhat negative, only people saying it's purely good.
I think most people who disagree on this thread seems to be having a relatively value-free approach to cultural appropriation.
Cultural appropriation is a mechanism, no different from gravity, of how different cultures interact and share artifacts. It is "good" only in the sense that more cultural appropriation means more sharing and more diversity (the shallow, superficial kind expressed above). It is "bad" only in as much as it is affected pre-existing and exogenous economic and political inequalities.
The view from here is that rudatron thinks that you can only stop cultural appropriation by dividing and segregating cultures (a terrible thing) while you think the "quality" of cultural appropriation can be improved. But I am not convinced you made that point convincing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I am defining cultural appropriation differently from you, and using it specifically to refer to a certain set of interactions, rather than all interactions that involve incorporating something from another culture.

But that's exactly my point. To you there is a subset of lower-quality interactions that need to be removed. But the burden of proof you have is that you need to show this subset of interactions:
1- Are actually bad
2- Can be halted without affecting every other kind of interactions
3- Can be halted given that real inequalities exist and will not change for a long time.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Actually, the second requires proof of a negative the way you've phrased it, and the third requires justification from you, but maybe you could actually respond to what was concretely said and explain what it is you don't find convincing? I can rewrite it, quote it, whatever.

Okay, let's try this. Can you go through 3 examples of "bad" cultural appropriation (you can dig previously posted examples obviously) explaining who are the victims, why, and how should the exchange be shaped differently without altering the existing social inequalities and without assuming away people general ignorance of what they are appropriating?

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

This is pretty much a rigged game, since you're demanding that people being informed not be part of the solution.
I am honestly not trying to prove a point or some crazy "gotcha!".
But cultural exchange will happen in this world, with existing inequalities and with real people who tend to be ignorant. In fact, when it comes to other cultures, you are by definition ignorant about them. Assume ignorance.
I really think it's the right setup to ask the question.

quote:

But here's one example- upscale ethnic-cuisine restaurants like PF Chang's that are owned by white people are considered more authentic than downscale restaurants that are owned by people from the actual culture in question. This is appropriating because it involves defining what real ethnic food is for the people of that culture.
So in this example, who is the victim? It can't be the food or the cuisine since it has no feelings. It can't be Chinese (broadly defined) families cooking at home, since they know better. It can't be "authentic" competitors since consumers are not bound to put a premium on authenticity. It may be the appropriators themselves since they consume quite below-par product. But it seems like a fairly harmless appropriation overall.
I can add to this. As you can tell from my grammar, I am a foreigner. Italian actually. So in Rome from time to time you do hear American tourists complain. Say, when they ask why there is no meat in their parmiggiana, waiters know nothing of marinara or alfredo sauce, baristas bring you milk when you order latte and so on. Clearly in some tourists there is a wrong, appropriated, idea of italian cuisine which just isn't true (luckily in this case since Rome's greatest contribution to Italian food is probably tripe and lard). But should we really expect them to know as much as I do about Italian culture and food before they are allowed to eat? It's weird to say it but that attitude would be intolerably ethnocentric towards the poor dominant Americans.
And so Italy has its authenticity and you guys keep your Chicago stuffed pizza (which I actually confess being a family favorite).

CarrKnight fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2015

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

No, I can't tell from your grammar, actually.

Effectronica posted:

The victims are people whose restaurants are considered inauthentic and unworthy, because although people are not bound to put a premium on "authenticity", they still do so. They are the people who are having what their cuisine actually is dictated to them from outside.
Let's say we are in the Tofu business. We open two stores in Chicago. You sell bacon, pepperoni and tofu pita and call it authentic. I sell Taipei-grade stinky tofu. American customers prefer yours. Am I a victim of cultural appropriation?
It's just that American customers like American taste. It's why you guys put origano in your tomato sauce. Why should people pay the same to have something that has been tuned for a foreign market?
Nobody is forcing people who prefer authentic food not to have it (and the US is blessed with authentic restaurants) but if they are too few as a customer base they need to do it on their own. It's a step-down from just walking down the street and buying it to go, sure, but only because there aren't enough people to keep that business going.

quote:

Furthermore, you cut out the part where I said that the solution is to stop promoting "authenticity".
Okay sorry I missed this. Let's try an Italian example.
In the US Parmiggiana is chicken + some knockoff parmesan. In Italy nowadays Parmiggiana is fried eggplant + parmiggiano reggiano. But if you ask my grandmother Parmiggiana is actually baked eggplant + mozzarella, which was what people in the south thought people in Parma would eat.
So who has the claim of authenticity? Parmiggiano does taste better than just mozzarella with eggplant, which is why it is prevalent now. But you could argue that it isn't authentic either. And probably you can go further back and find a more authentic recipe still.
Is there really a point in claiming somebody is not authentic at this point?

CarrKnight fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 17, 2015

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

There isn't. Authenticity is a trap and one that is often complicit in racial and ethnic oppression, so the solution is to get people to stop calling things that.
Agreed.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Also, when you talk about cultural exchange, there usually has to be an exchange.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/cultural-exchange-and-cultural-appropriation/

This seems like an even more problematic definition.
To keep that Buddhist example running, imagine some white Americans were to take an unbalanced sample of Tibetan writings and traditions and integrate it in a superficial new wave movement. Bad, as it is unidirectional, no exchange happen. So how should we structure this to make it mutual? Should we force some Tibetans to learn the bible? Is that better?
Who should be keeping track of what has been given and received to make sure it's fair?

It also a definition that repeats the same Panglossian fallacy that runs through this thread. "Mutual" exchange can only happen when you assume away general ignorance and existing social and economic inequalities.
Because these inequalities exist a "mutual" exchange of culture is simply not possible. Should we then prefer cultural segregation? Because these are the two choices.

quote:

poo poo, I'm a Sephardi Jew oppressed by DirkaDirka types here (look at my bannage), so respect me or else antisemitism.
In general it's pretty futile to argue logically about how or why one feels offended. I honestly can't understand why would anybody spend so much time being angry about a Katy Perry's coreography but the fact that I don't get offended proves nothing. It's only when these feelings are given an abstract superstructure, "cultural appropriation" that they can be debated.

CarrKnight fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 18, 2015

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
Should then a white woman not wear a sari (or perform any other kind of cultural exchange) until she solves the social injustice that prevents the Indian lady for bringing it to her office? And would the social stigma be more easily done away with if we ban anybody but Indian women from wearing Indian clothes?

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Well let's see: should I, as a man, refuse any raise until I solve the gender pay gap first? Should we ban men from getting promoted until all inequality is solved forever?
Exactly.
Take the raise, wear the Sari, eat the Cannoli.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
Sure but the problem is not that you have been given a raise. Or worn a sari.
The problem is that there are existing injustices and by the power of privilege your actions becomes guilty by association. Cultural appropriation takes this to the extreme where any form of self-expression that isn't what your kin taught you is morally dubious.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Taking a second to think about whether your actions are hurting other people before you do something isn't some totalitarian Stalinist oppression, it's basic manners taught in kindergarten.
Agreed.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Considered the argument and seemed valid: http://apihtawikosisan.com/hall-of-...in-headdresses/
Considered the argument and it seemed stupid: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ropriation.html
To be honest though, it seems like all the arguments of the first link apply just as well to the Hello Kitty video. VitalSign is correct in reminding that a slippery slope is a logical fallacy, but here I see no slope.

The argument seems to rely on weakly defined "restricted symbols" which can easily be extended to anything. Here let me try.
Dante Alighieri is a cultural icon, the real founding father of Italy. To turn his poetry and image into a Japanese console game is insulting. To make matters worse, the game is famous. Italian children will be exposed primarily to this Japanese caricature before being able to read the real thing. See? Devil Man Cry crosses all the boxes (except I suppose the POC angle), should we ban it?

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Beyond that I'm just failing to see the benefit of using CA as a framework to examine these topics with. How are the Lakota better served by framing their oppression with language that equally applies to the creation of stuffed manicotti instead of looking at the history of racism and genocide.
That's very well said.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Saying it equally applies and then ignoring any and all distinctions that are explained is just a lazy way of avoiding the whole subject and lumping legitimate complaints from actual Native Americans in with clickbait op-eds on slate magazine.

Let's go through this one more time then. Because so far the only difference that has been brought forward has been emotional appeal. Which works initially (gut-feeling says it's true) but it is so broad that it becomes meaningless when examined in depth.

What is the difference between the Lakota Headdress letter and the the Cornrow braids video?

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

You said the Lakota letter is indistinguishable from a 14-year-old kid on tumblr telling you manicotti is imperialism so let's start there.
I said that within the logic of Cultural Appropriation they are equivalent. Yes. Which is the problem we are pointing at.

Regarding your example, I think you are referring to this, but do tell me if I am wrong:

VitalSigns posted:

Native Americans have huge problems with public image, and that image contributes to the mocking or stereotypical or outright discriminatory treatment against them. Their public image is defined by how white people have chosen to portray their culture and not by the Native Americans themselves. So when you fetishize it, and dress up as them, you contribute to this image that their culture is some idiosyncrasy or weird thing they do, but are expected to put aside when it's time to be serious. So just wearing the trappings of that contributes in some small way to that otherization of them, even if it's not your intention, even if you're doing your best to honor them. Because ultimately, you're not from their culture, it is just a costume for you, and it reinforces the perception that what they wear is a costume, distinct from "normal clothes" that they're expected to wear if they want to be taken seriously.
And we sort of pointed this out already too. The problem here is racism.
Your argument here is: if we let people wear native american clothes as costumes, people will think native american clothes are costumes. Which makes no sense at all. What really you ought to say is: people are racists and an obvious symptom of it is how they mock cultural symbols of the native americans. It is racism that spawns cultural exchanges that are demeaning and shallow (or at least, more so).

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Miltank posted:

Who is a Native American Halloween costume 'normal clothes' for? You realize that Native American's don't actually live that way anymore right?

Are you asking me?
Just two weeks ago I was at the Ho Chunk Pow-wow here in Madison, WI. They dressed precisely "that way". And it was pretty awesome too.
It was clearly an important dress code for an important occasion. No different from a black-tie event.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Jarmak posted:

ceremonial garb and clothes only for special events (which describes black tie, unless you're James bond) isn't what I would consider "normal clothes"

At least not in the context Miltank was clearly using.

But special clothes are probably what people are more touchy about.

quote:

They are dressing up for a special occasion is the point, those aren't their normal clothes.
Fine, we were using different definitions of normal.
To me non-normal cultural clothes would be something like Pulcinella's mask or Ninja outfits or whatever. It's such a minor point, who cares

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Why. I'm wearing the same thing they are, it's equal. Are you saying they can dictate to the whole world what some piece of clothing has to mean because they have the approved skin color? That sounds racist.

That wasn't what he meant. Jesus, calm down people.

quote:

I think you've really gotten to the heart of how taking something from another culture, severing it from its roots and stripping it of all meaning, and placing it in a different context that trivializes and disrespects the culture that created it is harmful and adds yet another layer to the load of bullshit that people in that culture already have to deal with in their day-to-day lives just to survive among the dominant group.
I think the key word there is "another layer".
To me it seems like "taking something from another culture, severing it from its roots and stripping it of all meaning, and placing it in a different context that trivializes " is pretty much how any cultural exchange occurs. You could say the same thing about manicotti, if you just try a little.
The bullshit layer is something we see because of exogenous economic oppression within which this exchange takes place. It's something I think we all agree at the very least being bad taste. And yet it isn't "the fault" of the cultural exchange taking place, but of its enviroment which is the real issue.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

What do you think we should call this phenomenon in which an environment of inequality and economic exploitation turns cultural exchange from a positive thing into another slight on a disempowered group?

Maybe it's easier to take this quote as where we (mildly) disagree.
I don't think that cultural exchange is ever a bad thing. Even in this situation. I think the reason we don't like, from an emotional standpoint, some kind of cultural exchange is the climate of economic explotation in which they take place. But it is the economic exploitation, not anything else, that I dislike. And the existence of economic injustice is not a good reason to stop any cultural exchange, regardless of how terrible it seems.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Or does wearing feathers in mockery cease to become cultural exchange somehow, or what?

I think wearing Lakota feathers should never be illegal. Even when it obviously comes from a place of hatred and ignorance.

I realize I punted a bit here by bringing in the law, but I wonder if we agree on this first.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Nah, when we violate the first amendment with speech and dress codes, it should be for important things like making sure no one sees a booby or hears a bad word on TV.
hear hear

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think we should pass a law to ban feathers.

Okay, since the law is out I suppose what's left is moral suasion.
Imagine our objective is to have outsiders stop wearing feathers. Do you think, from a purely strategic perspective, it is a good idea to frame our argument in CA terms? Notice here that throughout the thread whenever we asked people CA examples, most of them were trivial bullshit (Katy Perry, PF Changs, Japanese Tea Cerimonies). You argued that it's unfair to have SJWs poison the term for us, but it clearly carry a lot of baggage.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not trying to make this a gotcha, I'm honestly unclear about what exactly you meant.

Yes, yes, this is not so much my position as a what-if/even-if. Even if we want to stop this from happening, should we structure our rethoric and our discussion around cultural appropriation lines? I don't think so.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

And we're back full-circle to pretending Native Americans saying "hey would you mind not taking a big old dump all over our religion, just be respectful" is actually an evil plot to do...somethin
I suppose we really are looping back because the best answer to this would be "what about people who dress up like the pope" and then we are back at pointing that the catholic church is not otherwise oppressed and then back again at saying that then it's the pre-existing oppression that is the problem not the dressing up.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

When we try to convince someone that anti-abortion laws hurt women, do we drag out our undergrad textbooks and launch into a discussion of virtue ethics and how they compare to utilitarianism as a framework for the legal system, and ask him to defend the repugnant conclusion in light of his pro-life stance? No, those terms aren't much use in arguing with picketers outside a clinic, are they good for anything then?
That's a different kind of debate though. You don't need to convince the picketers to accept abortion for it to be legal. Just the majority of bored bystanders.
To stop the war chants you really need to stop the people chanting it (since everybody else is already convinced)

quote:

we shouldn't contribute to it unnecessarily by wearing plastic feathers and pretending to be a Cherokee, we should go home and enjoy a deep dish Hawaiian pizza washed down with a cool mango lassi instead.
Can I stil llisten to Jamiroquai?

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

ChairMaster posted:

I'm pretty sure only white people have ever been offended by appropriation of anything, people from other races have better things to worry about, like getting shot by police or heating the reservation or that kind of thing.

Explain it to the cornrows lady.

Or this random dude on tumblr

(or pretty much anything on TumblrInAction)

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Some people like to laugh at stupid people who say speaking more than one language is cultural appropriation.

It is absolutely entertaining.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

No this is what happens when you find the most insane parody view possible to validate your persecution complex and crow "I knew it, the feminists/injuns/negras/mexicans/scary folk want to kill white Christian men! :cry:"

Yeah, one should not read too much into it. It's has entertainment value but one should not look at those corner cases as representative of anything.

CarrKnight fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 24, 2015

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Namely that whitey bad and anything that a white american uses that may have originated in another culture is CA and also
see? that's the problem of taking TumblrInAction (or gamers.txt or whatever) seriously.
It's kind of like people watching Rambo II and thinking that's a fair representation of what war looks like.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

If this is what's happening, it seems pretty straightforward to say "Oh yeah, those guys are idiots, here's how to distinguish us from them."
This is actually a very fair point.

Is there anything besides a smell test to tell the silly CA from the non-silly apart?

quote:

You're right, I should respect the leading voices raising awareness about Cultural Appropriation and never associate them with the teeming hordes of tumblerinas and Professional Outrageists complaining about Gwen Stefani and the take out Chinese place
There is a larger problem than just Cultural Appropriation, it is Idea Appropriation where well-meaning theories get filtered, taken out of context and weaponized by a bunch of narcisists on social media as a way to validate the dumb ideas they already had. CA was thus appropriated.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
So basically CA adds nothing of value in any meaningful way to any discussion about anything.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Obdicut posted:

I find it useful for talking about cultural appropriation, but if you don't want to talk about cultural appropriation it's probably not that useful.

No. Every example about CA brought forward turned out to be about something else. CA is terrible precisely because it is deployed so poorly.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Pauline Kael posted:

CA, within the context discussed in this thread, and the times I've encountered it in the wild, is nothing more than a bludgeon for intemperate Tumblerinas to yell at their dads and other assorted miscreants to try to force their half baked ideas on others. The supposed victims of CA, like the previously mentioned take out Chinese restaurant owner, want nothing to do with the driving philosophy of so many overweight white teenage other kin

Not everybody who disagrees with you (and me) has dyed hair and signs herself with #killallmen. Get over it.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Take stereotyping. It's bad because of the effects of racism, but it doesn't make sense to say "stereotype is a meaningless term, you're just talking about racism".

And stereotyping isn't always bad either
It seems to me like these two statements can't coexist. Not at least if you also want to pass a value judgment.

Stereotyping is bad only because of the context. Much like CA. Sure. Take Russell Peters. He's a bore, but his stereotyping isn't there to psuh a racist agenda. Again, it's bad or good according to the context so that we agree on that.
I just go one step ahead: we only have to look at the context.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
But if we agree on everything, why do we still disagree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
it is a pretty disgusting quote.

• Locked thread