Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Space Gopher posted:

Sure there is. Go ahead and try to put your own spin on Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, or the Coca-Cola logo out there, for your own profit. See how far you get before the lawyers slap you down.

A lot of what people complain about under the umbrella of "cultural appropriation" is commercial designers who translate "traditional" to "royalty-free recognizable images" in their heads, and then do a pretty good re-enactment of the whole "well if you savages wanted to keep your rights to this [intellectual] property you should have protected it according to our rules" dance that has a wee bit of historical precedent in loving people over.

Pouring one out for all the cosplayers arrested by the IP police.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Popular Thug Drink posted:

That's exactly it. Transculturation or cultural diffusion is sharing of culture, appropriation is the taking of culture by using an object or symbol incorrectly in such a way that it is harmful to the original, sincere meaning.

I know metalheads who are actually angry that Babymetal is a thing. They are upset about cultural appropriation.

e: I disagree with them, I'm just using them as an example of people who have an identity based on some cultural thing who feel threatened when someone else uses that thing in an 'inappropriate' manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Is santeria appropriation or diffusion?

Also Babymetal owns.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

'redskins' is actually a slur though, which are and have been regulated

What "regulations" do you think apply to slurs?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

you can't trademark a slur. the redskins keep getting stung in court for having their trademarked name and logo be racial slurs, it's probably headed to the supreme court in the next couple years

And that law is a complete unconstitutional mess: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2015/03/ProFootballvBlackhorseACLUAmicus.pdf

e: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/09/us-music-slants-trademark-idUSKBN0KI1XP20150109

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

yes, it really is despicable that people are using the legal system to prevent organizations from profiting on the use of offensive racial slurs. how dare they take my valuable brand identity as the representative of Lazy Darkie Watermelon Soda

"how will i know that Pears' Soap is a superior brand if i can't allude to how it cleanses the very soul of the heathen bushman" -Powercrazy

Not every moral wrong needs to have a law to "fix" it, especially if that law is vague and can easily be used for ill.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

paranoid randroid posted:

While one could make the argument that "I'm lovin' it" is deceptive inasmuch as it's questionable that anyone has ever truly "loved" their experience at McDonalds, I don't think it violates the Lanham act.

The issue I feel is that suggesting that trademarks fall under free speech also suggests that not only does one possess the right to freedom of expression, one also possess the right to exclusivity of expression. Which is such a troubling reading that I would be completely unsurprised to see it come out of the Roberts court.

No it doesn't, it implies the government can't give out favors with unconstitutional conditions. What if trademarks were refused to, say, D donors?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Where on earth are you getting "special favors" from? Are you suggesting that there is, in fact, a constitutional right to exclusivity of expression?

No there isn't, that's the point. The government isn't obligated to issue trademarks, but that doesn't mean they can be handed out in a discriminatory manner.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

It's only discriminatory to the extent it was evaluated, in light of complaints from the Native American community, and found to be in violation of the Lanham Act's provisions concerning denigration. You make it sound as if the patent board yanked the trademark because they root for the Cowboys.

And that section of the Lanham Act is unconstitutional.

The government is, unfortunately, not obligated to give out a basic income. Are they allowed to give one to everyone who doesn't criticize the government?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

And why is it unconstitutional to not provide legal protection against imitation and infringement for trademarks that are deceptive or derogatory? This is a serious question because it sounds to me that you're suggesting the government is required, by the Bill of Rights no less, to enforce exclusivity of speech.

Do I have the right to trademark the phrase God Hates Fags and then issue a C/D to the Westboro Bapist Church? Because if I do, uh, seriously let's get something going here im serious as a heart attack.

The government is required to not enforce trademarks in an unconstitutionally discriminatory manner. It's not that I give a poo poo about trademark here, it's that it's an area where you can't trust the government to be able to get the decisions "right". See also The Slants case that I posted earlier.

Sadly no.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

You keep saying it's discriminatory but I honestly am not seeing discrimination against anything except people who violate existing laws. Is it discriminatory for the EPA to fine a factory for dumping waste products into a lake? Again, are you suggesting that it is unconstitutional to not enforce deceptive or derogatory trademarks?

I pass a law where everyone gets a $20k stipend per year. However, the stipend is forfeited if you publicly criticize the government. Enforcing that is following the law, but unconstitutionally discriminatory.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

business activity is not free speech hth

this is why you can't claim magic herbs cure cancer under the first amendement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigelow_v._Virginia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I make BBQ in a slow cooker :sweatdrop:

Let us English posted:

Had work to do, didn't have time for a full reply.

Kanji tattoos are dumb because they're tacky and look like poo poo. Most people who get them simply pull out a dictionary and find the first entry for "strength" or whatever, but it never translates right. I used to work at a summer camp where we'd go to the local pool. An ex-marine counselor from another camp would always bet there and you could see he had 兄弟 on his back. I assume he wanted it to say "brotherhood" but he just got the word "siblings" instead. These tattoos are dumb but they're no more offensive than the ways people adorn their bodies with English clothing in East Asia.

As dumb as it is, it doesn't take away from anyone else's cultural experience. When people rush to call such tattoos racist, the inevitably turn a simple writing system into mystical and mysterious runes of power, thus engaging in the very Orientalism they came to decry. This outrage is made worse by the fact that's almost always 100% ignorant of how English is commodified on a much grander scale in Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and China. The use of English in East Asia is not racist or problematic, but it's pretty stupid, just like Kanji tattoos.

Pretty much. Asian shirts:

• Locked thread