Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Raging against "cultural appropriation" is the politically correct way of wanting things "separate but equal." The world is coming full circle and we're gonna be back to strict forms of censorship in a few generations I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
what if the term 'redskins' meant a football team? you kind of take away the power of the word as a slur in that sense.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's just a quick example of some other way beyond something being symbolically important that it could be problematic. It can be insensitive because it's taking someone's language and turning it into a fashion statement (you probably wouldn't get the word 'water' tattooed on you in this case, would you?). It's not meant to be the worst case of appropriation, it's just the first obvious case that occurred to me.

the chinese culture is going to crumble because of some tattoos

are chinese people allowed to get tattoos in their native language without it being considered a fashion accessory?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

That's a great point. Maybe if we rename espresso "liquid friend of the family" it will take away the power of the word as a slur.

i'm glad you agree that constant use of a word robs it of its power. so we can stop talking about the redskins needing to change their name then?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

No but I've got an idea. Let's get a black NFL player to go to a press conference and say "I find it difficult to relate to white people." If he doesn't get fined, and doesn't get any death threats, the Redskins can keep their name.

Deal?

Deal.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Bro Dad posted:

So you admit you have no idea what the hell cultural appropriation is. Good to know.

uhh

you're literally arguing about the way you are arguing. you are doing nothing but making the thread worse.

thanks that is my take on it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Miltank posted:

Yes. You didn't understand why I would assumed someone would want to leave the rez.

Effectronica posted:

No, I asked why you're assuming everyone wants to leave the reservations, when you assumed that someone who has any success would immediately leave them, rather than supporting family or using that money to improve the conditions on the reservation. That is, you made a telling assumption about what motivates people, which explains many of your issues with certain concepts.

Miltank posted:

No, I said he might make enough money so that he, (and presumably his family) would be able to leave, which many people do if they can.

Do you resent successful black artists (as just a single, high-profile example) who move away from the dangerous neighborhoods they grew up in? I think what you have described is the proper action to take, but I don't expect everyone, or even most people, to abandon a better future for themselves and their children by choosing to live in such environment.

Miltank posted:

That's all you have to say huh?

Effectronica posted:

I asked a question, which is quite relevant to what you said. Why would you assume that I would resent someone who took such an action? Is it because you have a mind that only really works on the level of binary opposition, or is it because you're uncomfortable with this line of questioning, or what?

Miltank posted:

Sorry, you will have to actually answer my question first and maybe elaborate on your position a bit.

e: if you don't see how the question pertains to our discussion (it does so directly) then say so and I will explain.

Effectronica posted:

No, I don't resent people who do that, no matter what their skin tone is. Now answer my question, and I'll give you some elaboration.

I wish you the best of luck in your crusade for dispassion.

Miltank posted:

Because you make it clear that you believe the petit-bourgeois of exploited communities ought to stay within their own communities to "use their money to improve the conditions on the reservation." Your claim that I assumed everyone wants to leave the reservations is entirely false, here is what I posted:

You could easily replace "off the rez" with "out of the ghetto" or "out of coal country."

Effectronica posted:

*In nasally voice* "petit-bourgeois of exploited communities"

I didn't say that at all. I said that you assumed that anyone who was successful would want to leave reservations, and that people might also stay to provide for family and to contribute to the well-being of the community generally. I didn't say what anyone should do, up until now, when I suggest you go carry an copper pipe to the top of a hill in a thunderstorm and wave it high. While you did make that assumption because that's what you leapt to immediately- a "ticket off the rez". It's also funny, because if you can make a business selling handmade canoes while still on the reservation, you have much less reason to leave than a musician or visual artist who needs to tour/exhibit. You assume that there are no "pull" factors behind why people make that decision, too.

Miltank posted:

You made many posts in the lady chat thread and I have seen people refer to you as a woman in the past. The cognitive dissidence of mocking someone for being a theory dork after writing as many pages in this thread as you have, has broken my will to continue. Well debated, my friend.

lol @ these posts all on just this page

NO YOU SAID THIS

NO YOU

NO I SAID THIS YOU SAID THIS

NU UH I SAID THIS YOU SAID THAT

you guys are great at this.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Obdicut posted:

Don't be an rear end in a top hat, have respect for stuff that's important to other people.

this is my water fountain, not your water fountain

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Obdicut posted:

Nah, that's segregation. We're talking more about "This is our sacred mountain, don't carve the heads of your presidents into the side of it, thanks."

no, we're talking about white dudes singing along with rap music

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
you guys are arguing over the definition of hypothetical situations such as hitting five people with your car or crack vs cocaine.

you're both idiots.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Amergin posted:

People around the world appropriate American culture all the time. Look at a group of Chinese youth and you'll see the appropriation of black American hip-hop culture that is a result of black urban culture tailored by rich white people.

we called them wiggers in my day.

now we just have a politically correct way of saying it.

nobody has a copyright on how you can dress or talk, and getting mad because someone "steals" your culture is pretty stupid.

you just said they stole black culture, not American culture.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Amergin posted:

Then the point of this thread is...?

Assuaging your white guilt by showing how concerned you are about the minorities and their cultures, but on the internet?

So... this thread is the tumblr of D&D?

Pretty much. It's people concerned about something really, really stupid. It's tumblr with better grammar.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Now, I can understand expatriates wanting to exterminate Native Americans, because the average expatriate is a raving racist and the ones we have here are basically the bottom of the barrel, but I don't understand why all these Europeans want to do it. Traumatized by Westerns at a young age?

People dressing up as Native Americans for Halloween circling around to exterminating an entire race of people is the definition of overreacting.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Wow, look at this thin-skinned xher lmao. Too triggered to take a joke? :smug: :smug:

Ironic jabs at transsexuals? Okay with D&D now? Let me know so I can start saying "human being" and poo poo like that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

You can do whatever you like, just like how I'm going to tear your heart out of your chest and eat it. I am completely serious, because only you possess the power to be facetious.

Is it okay with D&D to be ironically racist/prejudice now, like you just were?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Actually, I've been assured by millions of your fellow GBS people that pronoun jokes are not prejudiced. Maybe you should stop being so sensitive.

You didn't answer my question. I'll quote it.

Cole posted:

Is it okay with D&D to be ironically racist/prejudice now, like you just were?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Your question is a non sequitur. Maybe you should spend less time on your Steam account and more time reading books. :smugbird:

I'm not being a prick to you here. I'm asking a very, very simple question: is ironic prejudice/racism okay in D&D?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

You're going off-topic~

And by not answering the question you are helping remain off topic. We will be back on topic if you answer this:

Is ironic prejudice/racism okay in D&D?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

I have no idea, because unlike you I am a human being rather than a NEET. :D

You realize that by skirting the question you're just making yourself look like a prejudice piece of poo poo, right?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

I just answered this. Guess they don't teach reading in SJW school.

No you didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

I just told you that I didn't know, and explained why. You are not a human being, so you fail to understand the notion of an independent self.

No, you ducked the question pretty horribly. Unless you want me to believe you're clueless about racist and prejudice comments being okay in D&D. I would like your honest opinion on it.

Your last several posts are why D&D constantly turns into a shitfest. Just answer the question.

• Locked thread