Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Races Should Not Mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

That's exactly it. Transculturation or cultural diffusion is sharing of culture, appropriation is the taking of culture by using an object or symbol incorrectly in such a way that it is harmful to the original, sincere meaning.

I know metalheads who are actually angry that Babymetal is a thing. They are upset about cultural appropriation.

e: I disagree with them, I'm just using them as an example of people who have an identity based on some cultural thing who feel threatened when someone else uses that thing in an 'inappropriate' manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

people have unironically suggested this band to me and it is offensive in that they think this is what metal sounds like.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jakcson posted:

I feel the same way when people unironically say that Metallica is a good heavy metal band.

*resists urge to type, gripping my hands like ash in evil dead*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jakcson posted:

OK, fine, Master of Puppets is OK, but I think they went downhill from there.

*nods sagely*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

unlimited shrimp posted:

Talking more generally about the SJ quip about poor white people being made to feel uncomfortable. I've met enough SJ enthusiasts who like to needle white people because they feel it's justified, but will then turn around and talk about structural injustice and how it's "not about you, individual white person I just mocked."

people as a whole are vain, selfish, stupid, and petty. SJW have good intentions, and are just as lovely as everyone else because humanity sucks.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Also the whole "elitism" business and genre hairsplitting in heavy metal fandom is really about trying to prevent their form of music from being appropriated and commodified by bourgeois society because having your culture turned into a token for rich people to use to compete based on leisure tastes is bad but most metalheads are neither well educated nor articulate, and thus rant at "posers" and "hipsters" or engage in rank misogyny, homophobia, or racism.
im so jaded i cannot tel ljokes anymore, but assuming this is not, lol no

metalheads argue about this because inherently many of them are already social outcasts and weirdoes and they over attach themselves to the musical genera of their choice and then derive self worth from their perceived status in the metal community.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Well, personally, I'm glad that you've decided to boldly declare for nihilism, like so many other people in the USA. It will make it so much easier for me to convince my fellow Americans that blood sacrifices and deification of the Presidency are 10,000-year-old American traditions.

good because people are stupid, knock yourself out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

It's frankly more than a little disturbing to see the complete collapse of culture in this way. No wonder so many people feel that appropriation is inevitable and necessary, when they think that their mother culture is meaningless and everything in it is pure poo poo. It's just the more cynical version of seeing a plastic shaman or believing in the healing power of crystals. This is frankly far more of a concern for leftism than children saying dumb things on social media.

american culture is trash, same as most of the other ones

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Yes, Gantolandon, white people are ignorant savages. Finally, you have come around to that basic revelation.

the one way you could fix the world would be to kill all the white people

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

It's saying exactly the truth, which believe it or not, not every young person is aware of. It needs to be stated repeatedly until everyone is aware of the history, and then if people want to keep doing it we can say they are making an informed decision.

lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

I find at-length discussion of medieval sexual mores a great way to pick up women in bars.

The Wisdom of Goons.

Why are you forcing patriarchal expectations on strange women at bars?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

-Troika- posted:

:goonsay:

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

lmao

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

How about this one? WHO ARE THE RACISTS? I NEED TO KNOW AT WHOM I CAN WAG MY FINGER STERNLY IN DISAPPROVAL OF RACIST CULTURAL APPROPRIATION.

Carnaval in Japan, with second- and third-generation Japanese-Brazilian performers who emigrated from Brazil to Japan. I just know there's racism here, but who are the fetish peoples, and who are the racists? Please guide me to proper Doctrine on this important matter. CULTURE MUST STAY WITHIN ITS LINES, OR ELSE RACISM.

no white people, therefore no racism or appropriation

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cultures suffering from appropriation should just build more culture buildings like monuments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gantolandon posted:

Sure thing dude, the Holocaust is a great example of cultural appropriation. Which integral elements of Jewish culture did the Nazis appropriate by murdering them?

their treasure

• Locked thread