Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That boss fight was really spectacular, I'm glad you didn't have to redo everything.

And Atsuma shouldn't be discouraged when he's actually right for a change. Don't know how Karin could think he was going too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
My intense hate for Yuki is only exceeded by my immense hatred of Makoto.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Still a tie between Karin and Makoto for me

And yeah good job on that fight. I would say you should've opened up with Raigar buffing everyone, it woulda given you more breathing room, but what you had was good to.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Huh, one thing I just noticed is that buffs overwrite each other. So Raigar's double damage was replaced by the defense. That's a bit awkward.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Welcome, everyone, to beautiful Yokohama City! In this Update! I think I experience the joys of backtracking.

13: 2hot 2handle

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Of all the weird things the game has, I think my favourite is the walkway set between London City and Yokohama, which you can cross in a few days by foot.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Venus de MILF"

:golfclap:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hooray! This Update! we finally take Yoppi Rail! You're not around to tell us what to do anymore Makoto. So there.

14: Tumor

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That dog!!!! :argh:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mehuyael posted:

That dog!!!! :argh:

The dog owns I will hear no complaints about Cota.

Update!

15: Spooky Boo

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oppenheimer's quote was from Hindu scriptures, which he read in their original Sanskrit form.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

Oppenheimer's quote was from Hindu scriptures, which he read in their original Sanskrit form.

The Bhagavad Gita, right? I kinda wasn't able to get the word in edgewise.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Well, that's evil. To hype up THE FIGHT all video only to cut the length just short of it.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Last Transmission posted:

Well, that's evil. To hype up THE FIGHT all video only to cut the length just short of it.

It is a bit, but the fight lasted long enough that it would make the video kinda unwieldy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Istvun posted:

It is a bit, but the fight lasted long enough that it would make the video kinda unwieldy.

You didn't save, did you? :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Istvun posted:

The Bhagavad Gita, right? I kinda wasn't able to get the word in edgewise.

I think it was specifically in reference to Kali or some alternate form of the female deity. It wasn't Shiva.

Edit: Sadly my Hindu is a bit rusty - Recently been super into Youkai.

Zain fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 19, 2015

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

You didn't save, did you? :v:

I could save AFTER, damnit.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Update!

We fight those guys and get quite a bit

16: Destroyed -er

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
And another Update

We finally find Cota, and the game ends. After this is something like in-disk DLC it's weird.

17: Mystery Man

For this and the next two episodes we have a guest commentator because she actually had time to make it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well he sure became a proper villain alright.

"LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I ENJOY THE SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENTS! HA HA!"

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 25, 2015

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
They should have known not to live in Hiroshima City.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I uh... Didn't know Cota was going to be a boss. At least he sorta joins the party after.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
In lieu of an update, we have some shopping, since apparently beating up our teacher is a big plot point.

So just like last time, we're going to have a huge pile of golems we can buy and use, except this time we actually have enough gems to buy what we want, with 142 Power, 168 Mind, and 124 Speed gems. We also have a whole ton of money, so we can buy all of the golems we need and the skills for our humans that I've been neglecting.

Silent Assassin
Cost: 6 Power, 2 Mind, 12 Speed

Most of the golems we've got will be vaguely like this. But the assassin is a pretty reasonable example of it, with the ability to attack wide or deep into the opposing field. It's also the first golem we've seen (I think) with the ability to do elemental damage of types it isn't, so if we're fighting a lot of fire or water guys we get the benefit without the risk. A neat touch.

Belladonna
Cost: 0 Power, 32 Mind, 8 Speed

Belladonna is a legitimately good healer, which is mostly, still, unimportant. It also does decently in attacking enemy EPs, taking around 100 per shot. That might be useful for bosses or particularly hard battles (Running the Aqua Jelly out of EPs sooner would have helped in that fight a ton), but the basic attack isn't very impressive, unless that attack area is way better than I'm guessing. I also don't know what Power Up does, but if it boosts parameters enough this could be a quality support golem to use.

It also has cancel gravity because it's flying.

Rat The Ripper
Cost: 10 Power, 6 Mind, 16 Speed

It's a boring dark-typed, short range bruiser. It has enough EPs that it'll never run out and few enough HP that it'd never get the chance to try. Also it has a couple of status-affecting attacks that look completely unimpressive.

Calabaza
Cost: 10 Power, 10 Mind, 10 Speed

Remember when I said there was a super interesting golem that's also really good? It's this guy. He's got a 180 damage attack that hits just about the entire enemy field, if memory serves, and it costs no EP to use. But the attack can only be used if Calabaza has no VPs and I think it knocks out the golem. So it's an amazing suicide bomber that probably ensures you won't be doing anything else in battles. It also has very bad stats right now, but that's because Calabaza's starting out at level 1.

Spooky Boo
Cost: 0 Power, 16 Mind, 16 Speed

It's a much worse Belladona that deals poo poo for damage and can't drain enough EP to matter. But I guess it can gravity things, which could let us test if it's possible to put battles into an impossible state.

House Guardian
Cost: 2 Power, 4 Mind, 0 Speed

Despite this golem being a recoloring of the tutorial guy, it's actually almost decent. It's hitting for either 200 to water guys or 100 with poison to everything else. House Guardian also has enough HP that it can tank about as well as Down in Front, which is legitimately impressive. Shame that having Atsuma always in the party nearly makes it redundant though.

NB Destroyer
Cost: 20 Power, 2 Mind, 10 Speed

You know how these guys totally wrecked my poo poo a couple videos ago? This one is not nearly as scary. It's only hitting for around 60 damage and doesn't have anything interesting going on with it. It's a vaguely better Crossfire-chan, but honestly I think it's still outdated, since it's using the weak versions of those skills.

Cerberus Cota
Cost: 24 Power, 0 Mind, 24 Speed

See? I know we'd rescue him. Cota's level 1, which makes him honestly pretty useless, especially given the cost of taking up 4 squares. If we power through using him, he'll probably level up into a golem that's doing decent melee damage, but the ranged attacks are likely to never get good and honestly that sounds like too much work.

Yokohama Guard
Cost: 14 Power, 6 Mind, 8 Speed

RIP Yokohama City. If we got this golem a few hours earlier it could be a good in-between golem for Crossfire-chan and NB Destroyer, but it's just a bit too late for this thing. If N-protect shot removed defensive buffs, which I have no evidence for, it could be good just for that. But it likely isn't.

Besides, these things were total chumps against the Queen of Ice earlier.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I'm trying to work out why Calabaza looks like a 2D picture, but also it sounds interesting and hilarious, so buy that I guess.

Also Belladonna, because healing was super useful in that one fight so having a good support golem you can sub in for the hard fights sounds smart.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

GirlCalledBob posted:

I'm trying to work out why Calabaza looks like a 2D picture, but also it sounds interesting and hilarious, so buy that I guess.
It is just that fuckin weird.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Get Calabaza. Or two. Run into the Fire Temple. Suicide Bomb everything.

Otherwise, yeah Belladona

And grab the City Guard cause I think those dudes are cool.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm probably going to be able to afford almost everything, but some names would be great, especially to force me to use the crappier golems I otherwise wouldn't bother with.

Anyways, we have yet more Updates! I stare at a waterfall, and Colin gets a song stuck in my head.

Episode 18: London Calling

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah that was a super not-obvious room. I would be stuck there to probably.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
The best part is that I ran down the other side, walked over there and looked down the corridor before running back upstairs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh right, that door. That door is a hilarious dick move.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
That door may or may not be where my brother and I gave up playing this game because we could not find where the hell to go next.

I'm not saying it was that door.

But it might have been that door.

(We were like thirteen and stupid)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You can get awfully turned around inside a stranger's house.

Anyway, it's nice to see that even if our protagonist isn't desperately trying to remember what ladders do, he's still earnest enough to chase plot threads whenever they're dangled in front of him.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Exactly. It was in no way my fault. I'm playing this game perfectly and devilishly handsome, to boot.

I also have the next Update! where I prove half of that a lie.

19: Piano Man

Also, :siren: IMPORTANT LP QUESTIONS :siren:

This is the last of the prerecorded sessions I have with some of the battles edited out. Do you think it is better to go back to live sessions or keep prerecording and editing them? If it's the second, I likely won't be able to put out as many episodes a week because of the extra time it takes.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Cutting out most of the battles is helping things move faster, so I'd vote for that. Even if we get less videos, at least more stuff will be happening.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cut the really uninteresting fights we already saw.

Also oh man here we go :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SSNeoman posted:

Also oh man here we go :allears:

I have no idea where we're going, so this post terrifies me.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
In today's Update! Raigar proves himself to be the best and everyone proves themselves to be complete idiots (y'know, again)

20: Unreasonably Happy Man

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat when Atsuma tries, he's really on point :allears:
That's what? Two sick burns so far?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

SSNeoman posted:

drat when Atsuma tries, he's really on point :allears:
That's what? Two sick burns so far?

That burn was pretty pathetic and I fell bad about the game treating it otherwise.

That said, we have another Update! Karin's greater sexiness comes to haunt her, as it turns out she's clearly the spy.

21: Arsenal Leader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
2D or not 2D is better than any name I could ever have come up with and I salute you.

• Locked thread