Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Shouting into the void, I have an Update!

46: Josei Can You See

Apparently the bad guys are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I wonder why, having already used all of the actually-really-is-Japan area's clichés they decided to have Chimera as the multi-headed dragon boss. Certainly subverting expectations, I suppose.

Edit: Hydra, not Chimera, mixed my mythical beasts.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 9, 2015

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not totally sure which boss you are talking about. That last one was definitely a hydra, though it had more of the heads branching off of the stump where the last one was cut off than the bundle of heads out of the neck.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I was thinking of Hydra - it was a fairly accurate rendition, but one wouldn't expect it in Japan. Then again, maybe that's the genius of it.

I wonder who/what the voice of Atsuma's arm will turn out to be - if his arm really is the source of his power, I wouldn't rule out him becoming a boss later in the game. The whole graphical design of Atsuma's Realm and his berserk form remind me of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, I think they're really similar in design - I can only hope the final boss battle is as epic as it was there.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I know this is pretty late but nuclear is probably one of the cleanest and most efficient energies we have. Especially thorium reactors~ Solar is nice, but nuclear is the future. You should care~

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Zain posted:

I know this is pretty late but nuclear is probably one of the cleanest and most efficient energies we have. Especially thorium reactors~ Solar is nice, but nuclear is the future. You should care~

Yeah, I'm a graduate student in nuclear engineering. Thorium seems mostly useful for India since they don't have good access to uranium and I'm bigger on molten salt reactors, but stuff is good yo.

Anyways, we've got new golems and some of them are cool but most of them are meh.

Hydra

It's a melee attacker with no melee attacks! More seriously, 1200 HP would be good on a size 1 golem, but size 4 ones probably need a fair amount more than that if they're going to function in a tank capacity. It is worth noticing that Octo Devour deals >400 damage, but if it doesn't have the range to hit from whatever terrible place it winds up it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Kabuki

Good thing this golem's called Kabuki because it's just playing at being worthwhile. Dealing 200 damage isn't nearly enough to hang anymore. Even 2D Or Not 2D's attacks deal more than that.

Kunoichi

Kunoichi seems a lot like a worse Atsuma> I can't check what Hide Blade or High Power Accel do, but unless those abilities are surprisingly amazing there's no point picking this one up.

Straw Shaman

drat this thing looks cool, and it deals not-embarrassing damage. And finally I would have a strawman of my own. But why doesn't have the ability to taunt opponents?

Blue Imp

If I am going to pick up a new melee golem, with all the annoyances they've got, I'm going to want one like this. That is some seriously impressive damage it can push out.

Valkyrie

Why do so many lategame golems have such terrible skills? Why in the world is it using ones so crappy it has 10 turns worth of EPs? At least Aqua Impulse has good reach, I guess.

Siren

That is some quality healing ability. And I think Aqua Sonic is a decently-ranged attack as well. I think Siren is just a better Karin (Karin is useless in battle).

Lilly-Lilly

gently caress you developers. gently caress you so much. I wanted Blue Imp to be the quality melee attacker and you make this abomination? I'm not even sure if that's supposed to be a scorpion or an airplane on its back.

Archangel

If I wanted a pure healer I guarantee it would be this one. But I don't want a pure healer. And even if I could do without every golem being able to deal damage the EP costs on this are problematic.

Samurai

I have no idea what Iron Cut is. But aside from it there's nothing impressive about this samurai.

Yuzuriha

Of the healers we can pick up, I think Yuzuriha beats Archangel but loses to Siren. At least that ranged stat isn't entirely horrible.

Once you're done with that, I have an Update!

47: Tokimune All Over Again

Istvun fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

replace the party with four 2D-or-not-2D and one massive tank of HP that does nothing but cure/buff self.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

replace the party with four 2D-or-not-2D and one massive tank of HP that does nothing but cure/buff self.

I can only get one of each golem, otherwise I guarantee I'd be using three copies of 2D or not 2D.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Go with Blue Imp then because kickass skull bat.
Also considering we already pipe, ship and move by rail all kinds of fossil fuels I don't see why Thorium wouldnt get the same treatmeant. (it''d even be safer unless it's being transported in solution so it would seep into the ocean/ groundwater.)

[What I'm saying is stop using fossil fuels and keep them for plastics and cars that go fast.]

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm going to vote for Lilly-Lilly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zain posted:

I'm going to vote for Lilly-Lilly.

Oh don't worry, I'm going to twist Istvun's arm into using Lilly-Lilly. :getin:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

Oh don't worry, I'm going to twist Istvun's arm into using Lilly-Lilly. :getin:

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Anyways, we're recording tomorrow, so if people have names for golems or want to inflict any of them on me, you have a chance. And it is worth mentioning that there was an Update! on Wednesday, in case you missed it.

48: Lord of Earth

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Tindr the Straw Shaman should definitely get its chance at the spotlight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And I wanted to mention this earlier but the Monks "So why don't I make it super simple for you" is just a meta :master:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

And I wanted to mention this earlier but the Monks "So why don't I make it super simple for you" is just a meta :master:

The monk is the most out-of-place character in this game. Also I have an Update!

49: I've Named Episodes After All These Characters

20,000 effective HP is a nightmare to chew through.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Never don't Update!

50: Despair

We are getting seriously close to the end of this game. I expect after we're done with the tower we'll head back to the temples of [element] and clear those out. I refuse to be mocked any more than the massive amount I am.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
One more Update! before I leave town for thanksgiving.

51: Seymour Guado

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
it might be just me, but the game audio in episode 48 and 49 (haven't watched further) is desynced.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I enjoy how tactical the game finally got. It only took like 50 hours into the game.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Thesaya posted:

it might be just me, but the game audio in episode 48 and 49 (haven't watched further) is desynced.

Yeah, looks like. Because I am very much Not An Expert with video editing, I've been needing to use a workaround of editing audio and video separately and then manually syncing them together. Apparently that time I was sloppy. I'll fix that when I have the time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zain posted:

I enjoy how tactical the game finally got. It only took like 50 hours into the game.

Interestingly, the game got super tactical as soon as Istvun removed 2D or Not 2D from the party.

I wonder if those are related...

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

Interestingly, the game got super tactical as soon as Istvun removed 2D or Not 2D from the party.

I wonder if those are related...

Are you accusing me of taking advantage of the single biggest crutch I have ever seen a game hand the player? And through the abuse of a suicidal, dimensionless pumpkin?

For shame.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

Are you accusing me of taking advantage of the single biggest crutch I have ever seen a game hand the player? And through the abuse of a suicidal, dimensionless pumpkin?

Yes, obviously. Is there any debate about that? There's over a dozen videos worth of evidence.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

While I don't disagree I would say that normal fights don't really prepare you for bossfights anyway. Even with a suicidal instant kill pumpkin.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Istvun posted:

And through the abuse of a suicidal, dimensionless pumpkin?

For shame.

Hey he has at least 2.
Or maybe not.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hey he has at least 2.
Or maybe not.

He is less one dimension. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Also have an Update!

52: Gargoyle

My favorite color is sliding block puzzles.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

He is less one dimension. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Having one fewer dimension is not the same as being dimensionless.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

He is less a dimension it's perfectly majestic shutup.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In which Some Numbers and Colin debate whether Japanese people have defective ears.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

That's pretty deep.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Zain posted:

That's pretty deep.

I'd say that depends on the contours of the argument numbers is making.

Also it is monday and I have an Update!

53: Sage (and way too much Thyme)

Colorchat continues and it turns out I cut the episode at just about the perfect time.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Oh god the color discussion. Also green in Japanese is Midori - Left is Hidari. There's Love that has multiple facets in the language.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zain posted:

Oh god the color discussion. Also green in Japanese is Midori - Left is Hidari. There's Love that has multiple facets in the language.

*adjusts glasses*

You're not wrong, "midori" is a word in Japanese that means "green," but it's relatively recent. Beyond that, there's a lot of weird cultural corner cases in which Japan uses "aoi" in a way that we'd use "green."

Traffic lights are blue, unripe fruits and vegetables are called "aoi" and people who lack skills are called "aoi."

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
GOD DAMNIT.

I had to fix my glasses when I read that from you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

GOD DAMNIT.

I had to fix my glasses when I read that from you.

You're welcome.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am watching episode 52 and feel like slapping all of you, Colin especially.

edit:
Actually, I muted you guys most of the time in episode 53. Sorry.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 9, 2015

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Thesaya posted:

I am watching episode 52 and feel like slapping all of you, Colin especially.

edit:
Actually, I muted you guys most of the time in episode 53. Sorry.

Yeah, that discussion continued a bit after the recording session and Colin was sounding way more :biotruths: than what he was trying to say.

Anyways! Here's 54: Baglanji

Turns out I almost cost us multiple hours of progress.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I enjoyed the discussion, it was most interesting, but I would have liked the co-commentators to pay a bit more attention to the game, too.

Edit: the colour and language discussion in eps. 52 and 53, haven't seen the newest one yet.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 10, 2015

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yeah it was more the ignoring the game completely and talking over it loudly that annoyed me rather than what was actually discussed. Better again this newest update though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fair enough. Colin's and [Some Numbers'] internet kinda poo poo the bed during this episode, but we still have an update!

55: Sad God Orb

For the rest of this session we went and backtracked to find all of the god orbs and the element temples.

• Locked thread