Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

Maybe he wrote a real cool song, really poured his heart&soul in to it, and people like it. Meanwhile you're over here pumping out 136 tracks and keeping count and wondering why there's no correlation between quantity and impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

What steps have you taken to market your music and your art? Who have you sent it to? Do you do open mics, amateur nights, etc and other live shows? Do you try to get your pictures in to galleries and exhibits?

bacalou

you should read galapagos by vonnegut, op

Pizzatime

imagine you're doing all this stuff day by day for years and years, you make countless attempts at turning all this work and stuff you did into something that will improve your life, success, money, but it never works so you keep working terrible jobs in which you get told what to do by people that have no interest in your ideals and dreams. imagine there is somebody else that has everything you want without having put all of this effort into it. there's your envy, there's me.

Cyber Dog

speaking of, have you guys heard of a little tune called heart and soul? it really brings me out when life throws me one too many lemons

Pizzatime

drilldo squirt posted:

How does bitching about it help?

not at all, you're right.

Cyber Dog

Pizzatime posted:

imagine you're doing all this stuff day by day for years and years, you make countless attempts at turning all this work and stuff you did into something that will improve your life, success, money, but it never works so you keep working terrible jobs in which you get told what to do by people that have no interest in your ideals and dreams. imagine there is somebody else that has everything you want without having put all of this effort into it. there's your envy, there's me.

hahahahaha

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
That's like everyday poo poo dude, their is always someone way more successful and skilled than you.

----------------

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

god is a pigeon. hosed up, but true

Pizzatime

this is the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTERk9aAE-A

Cyber Dog

sounds like your problem is late capitalism

deep dish peat moss

Pizzatime posted:

Imagine if you made music and art because you wanted to express yourself and had fun doing it, instead of because you wanted to be a famous musician or artist. Then imagine that when you do that, people listen to it and look at it, because it's true & real (henceforth, trill) and means something sincere and legitimate to you, and that's what other people like.

landy.
you angered the Egyptian gods Horus and Thoth.

Cyber Dog

of course people are sold on that terrible poo poo lol, its not about u dude

Pizzatime

drilldo squirt posted:

That's like everyday poo poo dude, their is always someone way more successful and skilled than you.

it just hits a little harder if you've drinken beers with the dude without ever knowing he made music and then here he is on tv

deep dish peat moss

I feel sick quoting Scroobius Pip but "I see so many kids that love being writers more than they love writing"

Pizzatime

Hick Magnet posted:

Imagine if you made music and art because you wanted to express yourself and had fun doing it, instead of because you wanted to be a famous musician or artist. Then imagine that when you do that, people listen to it and look at it, because it's true & real (henceforth, trill) and means something sincere and legitimate to you, and that's what other people like.

poo poo but what if your dream is to be able to do what you love doing for a living and you've accepted that that's not how the world works but then somebody else just gets that dream of yours. you're right tho, you're right.

drilldo squirt

It's true.

----------------

drilldo squirt

I'm going to start saying mean things to you if you don't shut up about this pizza.

----------------

Cyber Dog

i know multiple ppl who r straight up dope musicians, including living with some in what i consider to b one of the better bands ive ever heard, and not cuz i know them, and none of them have MADE IT including me so u arent alone

drilldo squirt

Words like stupid, and hack.

----------------

Pizzatime

Hick Magnet posted:

What steps have you taken to market your music and your art? Who have you sent it to? Do you do open mics, amateur nights, etc and other live shows? Do you try to get your pictures in to galleries and exhibits?

I should do that more, though it's like, you don't have much recognition anyhow. you start it slow, show it someone here, someone there, send it to one or two places, you don't get any reply or any overwhelming feedback, you lose faith, you think you ain't got it, you go back to your 9 to 5 job cause everybody tells you that's what real work is and that's what you gotta do, otherwise you're a weird dreamer that is gonna end up on the street with his eccentric garbage music.

drilldo squirt

Maybe even talentless, and crazy.

----------------

Pizzatime

Cyber Dog posted:

i know multiple ppl who r straight up dope musicians, including living with some in what i consider to b one of the better bands ive ever heard, and not cuz i know them, and none of them have MADE IT including me so u arent alone

reminds me, I know plenty musicians that I think are great and can't believe they have less exposition than I do, but they never seemed to really mind it that much, so I thought hey, they're probably just not even trying to get their stuff out there. but yea, I'm definitely not the only one and I'm gonna shut up about it now.

deep dish peat moss

Pizzatime posted:

poo poo but what if your dream is to be able to do what you love doing for a living and you've accepted that that's not how the world works but then somebody else just gets that dream of yours. you're right tho, you're right.

The guy you're talking about had the advantage of a famous musician for a father, who I'm sure taught him (maybe passively) how to write a catchy pop tune, and he did. Commercial success in music is formulaic and it's a big business, writing a chart-topping pop song is literally a science and this guy has a better education in that science than you do.

This doesn't really have anything to do with music, artistry, knowing people, etc. The problem is that you ahve a very narrow goal for your life. You want a specific thing. Some people get the specific thing they want, but the vast majority don't. It's a high-risk gamble. You can find another living that will make you happy, and you can keep making music and painting on the side to keep yourself sane and work through your thoughts and feelings. Maybe one day someone will hear it and identify with it and it will blow up.

It sounds like being recognized for your music is more important to you than actually making the music, and whether or not that's the truth, people smell that and run away from it.

Pizzatime

Twitter Warpath posted:

I'll hang your art on my wall if my partner says it's okay.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i'll hang your art on my wall, idgaf what my partner says.

that was really nice of you to say, by the way.

deep dish peat moss

Pizzatime posted:

I should do that more, though it's like, you don't have much recognition anyhow. you start it slow, show it someone here, someone there, send it to one or two places, you don't get any reply or any overwhelming feedback, you lose faith, you think you ain't got it, you go back to your 9 to 5 job cause everybody tells you that's what real work is and that's what you gotta do, otherwise you're a weird dreamer that is gonna end up on the street with his eccentric garbage music.

No, if you want to be big you show it to everyone all the time, everywhere, every single person that you meet, and you go out of your way to expose more and more people to it. You're the only one who's going to promote your music at the start and if you're not doing it, you can't expect other people to do it for you.

drilldo squirt

Hick Magnet posted:

No, if you want to be big you show it to everyone all the time, everywhere, every single person that you meet, and you go out of your way to expose more and more people to it. You're the only one who's going to promote your music at the start and if you're not doing it, you can't expect other people to do it for you.

You've made a huge mistake telling him this dude.

----------------

Pizzatime

Hick Magnet posted:

The guy you're talking about had the advantage of a famous musician for a father, who I'm sure taught him (maybe passively) how to write a catchy pop tune, and he did. Commercial success in music is formulaic and it's a big business, writing a chart-topping pop song is literally a science and this guy has a better education in that science than you do.

on that note, my father is seriously an unsuccessful musician, it all checks out, haha.

joke_explainer

most people work a job they don't necessarily love. i mean jobs are just trading away 1/3rd of our lives for money. it's a necessity. even people who get a job 'they love' rarely love it forever, it just becomes a habit they do. you probably wouldn't even enjoy being a working musician after a while at it.

one of the most basal parts of the mind looks for repetition and looks for novelty. repetition-seekers reward good, repeated world-behaviors that we can take advantage of, and novelty-seekers find out new poo poo to test for repetition or find advantageous new experiences. in the first kind of living things with nervous systems at all, these two competing drives got tuned in.

but, obviously, there is never any benefit in just one or the other. if you only sought out novelty as a cave person or whatever,r you'd never be able to get enough control of the world to remain safe / successful, not to mention encountering too much novelty can be dangerous (not everything novel or interesting is safe). if you only sought out repetition, you'd settle on the first beneficial thing you found and never vary. clearly a balance between the two was the more successful evolutionary strategy.

anyway, that mechanism is basically the concept of happiness in our heads. it rewards you with novelty, it rewards your for repetition, but you do either one too long and it starts to see the current action as undesirable and make you want to seek out the opposite. so basically happiness is only as far as changes to the status quo; no matter what happens to you, you'll go back to feeling neutral about it before too long. (in a famous study, double amputees and lottery winners reported the same basic level of happiness 10 years down the line.)

Pizzatime

drilldo squirt posted:

nah, don't worry. I had one successful game that I didn't promote at all and one unsuccessful game that I promoted the poo poo out of. I've learned to selectively promote without annoying the crap out of people that just want to know me without getting my poo poo smeared all over their faces all of the time

deep dish peat moss

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't think it's bad for anyone to share things they've made even if I don't like it. No one should be ashamed to put themselves out there like that.

Cyber Dog

Pizzatime posted:

reminds me, I know plenty musicians that I think are great and can't believe they have less exposition than I do, but they never seemed to really mind it that much, so I thought hey, they're probably just not even trying to get their stuff out there. but yea, I'm definitely not the only one and I'm gonna shut up about it now.

yeah this is now a thread where u give yr creative friends who havent made it yet (s)exposure:

this is a cellphone video i took of my boys secret tombs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOzHZrnVXuw

link to the whole album in that vid, its dope

joke_explainer

i liked your first BYOB game tho I still haven't tried the 2nd. you do need to learn how to make games more gamey tho. like... some meat and potatoes in there to latch on and game it up. i love to game.

its hard to describe but like, your game was an interactive story that was amusing once, while a game should satisfy those novelty / repetition bars I was talking about in my previous post. like FTL: you get a pulse of satisfaction when you develop a strategy that works, and also when you discover something new and interesting (or excitement if its new and dangerous)

Pizzatime

joke_explainer posted:

most people work a job they don't necessarily love. i mean jobs are just trading away 1/3rd of our lives for money. it's a necessity. even people who get a job 'they love' rarely love it forever, it just becomes a habit they do. you probably wouldn't even enjoy being a working musician after a while at it.

one of the most basal parts of the mind looks for repetition and looks for novelty. repetition-seekers reward good, repeated world-behaviors that we can take advantage of, and novelty-seekers find out new poo poo to test for repetition or find advantageous new experiences. in the first kind of living things with nervous systems at all, these two competing drives got tuned in.

but, obviously, there is never any benefit in just one or the other. if you only sought out novelty as a cave person or whatever,r you'd never be able to get enough control of the world to remain safe / successful, not to mention encountering too much novelty can be dangerous (not everything novel or interesting is safe). if you only sought out repetition, you'd settle on the first beneficial thing you found and never vary. clearly a balance between the two was the more successful evolutionary strategy.

anyway, that mechanism is basically the concept of happiness in our heads. it rewards you with novelty, it rewards your for repetition, but you do either one too long and it starts to see the current action as undesirable and make you want to seek out the opposite. so basically happiness is only as far as changes to the status quo; no matter what happens to you, you'll go back to feeling neutral about it before too long. (in a famous study, double amputees and lottery winners reported the same basic level of happiness 10 years down the line.)

I remember that happening with being accepted to art school, being accepted to art college, having my first design related job...yea you're absolutely right. good that I did apply for countless boring old graphic design jobs that are basically my version of a boring old job I have the best odds at getting a good using skill to use less time to get more money to have more time for everything but work trade.

fuck. marry. t-rex

I don't want to kick you while your down but the soundcloud song you linked was hyper boring, and your friends song is bad but at least it isn't a 50 hertz wave with some chip samples over it or w.e

shabbat goy

Cyber Dog posted:

yeah this is now a thread where u give yr creative friends who havent made it yet (s)exposure:

this is a cellphone video i took of my boys secret tombs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOzHZrnVXuw

link to the whole album in that vid, its dope

dang, I wanna drink beers and go to impromptu gutter shows

Pizzatime

joke_explainer posted:

i liked your first BYOB game tho I still haven't tried the 2nd. you do need to learn how to make games more gamey tho. like... some meat and potatoes in there to latch on and game it up. i love to game.

its hard to describe but like, your game was an interactive story that was amusing once, while a game should satisfy those novelty / repetition bars I was talking about in my previous post. like FTL: you get a pulse of satisfaction when you develop a strategy that works, and also when you discover something new and interesting (or excitement if its new and dangerous)

making games more gamey has totally been the main thing to change about this whole game development thing after that one project that was supposed to be huge just kinda fizzled. currently all the project I still work on or will work on have a solid game at their core rather than being this patchwork of an interactive something that kind of resembles a game.

drilldo squirt

Hick Magnet posted:

I don't think it's bad for anyone to share things they've made even if I don't like it. No one should be ashamed to put themselves out there like that.

It's just I can totally see him going overboard.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacalou

graphic design is the worst thing to do if you consider yourself an artist

it is like working at mcdonalds while thinking of yourself as a chef

• Locked thread