Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CobiWann posted:

Was anyone here from the UK NOT surprised by the fact that Billie Piper could actually act?

Personally I will certainly be suprised if I ever see any evidence of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CobiWann posted:

What, you didn't like her Irish accent in Penny Dreadful?

I think its fair to say

SiKboy posted:

Just finished watching the whole season over about 3 days. I actually liked it a lot more than I expected to. Some general comments;

1) Billy Piper as an actor can be (to be charitable) passable. Shes a better actress than she was a singer anyway. But jesus christ she cannot do accents, at all. She struggled to sound working class as Rose in doctor who, to ask her to layer working class and irish together was just cruel. They should either have cast an irish actress (or a british actress who can do a half decent irish accent without swinging between terry wogan and ian paisley within the same sentence) or changed the character so she wasnt irish because her nationality wasnt actually relevant to anything at any point.

that I'm not a fan, no. At least I'm consistant in my anti-piper prejudice.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

marktheando posted:

Northern accent refers to the north of England.

Also note to any yanks, since Android Blues mentioned these posh actors like Cumberbatch going to public schools- that means the opposite over here to what it does in America. Public school means a private fee paying school. Our equivalent to your public schools, the places normal people go to school, we call state schools.

Except in Scotland where schools where you are paying fees are called Private schools. Its always amusing when engish people refer to someone as "Northern", because they are all southerners to us.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Every time apple release a new device or service, I hope against hope that it'll be called the iClavdivs.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was doubly disappointing because it's not like Russell T Davies wanted for experience doing adult drama before Torchwood.

Someone accurately described it as being so excited about being adult it forgot to be grown up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

The weird thing about the serialized nature of television is how often a character will do something that makes them nonredeemable really early on in a series, and it's waved off as being part of the supernatural magic stuff (or "science"). I'm rewatching Buffy and Xander tries to rape her in the sixth loving episode, and yeah, it's because he has been possessed by hyena spirits or whatever, but while he is doing it, he very definitely says a bunch of stuff that is totally in character for him, and they are sentiments he continues to express and are poisoned further by the "hyena" incident.

To say nothing of the Six strangling scene in Doctor Who.

I imagine the problem with bombing right out with it as a character introduction is that it poisons the way the rest of the writers deal with him, though. I haven't seen Torchwood, but the way that people talk about it, it always seems like it's a mistake that they continue making, rather than making once.

The major difference is, as far as I remember because gently caress watching any of torchwood again to check, that in Torchwood the character isnt under the influence of... well, anything. He has some alien rohypnol and uses on a girl, when her boyfriend objects he uses it on him too and then takes the both home. The fact he did this is never mentioned again, and is not part of the plot of the episode, its just how he is introduced to the viewer (pretty sure thats episode 1, but I could be wrong).

So in your Buffy example, its like that except if Xander had been introduced in episode 1 mid rape. And wasnt possessed by Hyena spirits, but instead was just a bit rapey sometimes but it didnt seem to bother the rest of the characters. So in summary, only really a bit like that example. In all seriousness I could be misremembering details, Torchwood was loving awful in every aspect (even Children of Earth is only "good compared to the rest of torchwood", compared to something less objectionable like sitting staring into space for a couple of hours its not great). and a lot of it blurs together. Why I watched as much of it as I did is a goddamn mystery to me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

I am very excited for season 9. I really hope that this time, they can just lean on the chemistry we saw between Clara and the Doctor in that Peter Pan-like segment of the Christmas episode and just allow the two of them to have adventures together. I understand the purpose between introducing tension between the Doctor and his companion, but I think I just want to watch them enjoy themselves traveling together and dealing with their losses :unsmith:

Honestly, I think having Clara come back for another season is a mistake. That christmas special was the perfect goodbye to the character, with a lovely tacked on ending that wait, its not goodbye after all!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shes the corsair, he's not dead after all!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I can completely understand people being put off by capaldis doctor. There is a world of difference between the doctor who said "I've never met anyone who wasnt important before" and the doctor who doesnt bother remembering people because they arent important to him (into the dalek, the last Xmas special). Obviously there is always a change in the doctors character between regenerations, but capaldi has been handed a doctor who is relentlessly negative, and at times deliberately and pointlessly cruel.

Essentially Capaldis doctor, a lot of the time, comes off like he doesnt enjoy travelling the universe and doesnt particularly like humans. Which is a take on the character I personally find wearing. I love Capaldi as an actor, I'm a big fan of doctor who, but they are writing a doctor that to me feels like he should just jack in the whole adventures in time and space thing and do something he doesnt actively detest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Have you seen Last Christmas? It remains to be seen what happens next of course, but the ending of that was such an inspiringly hopeful and positive thing from the characters it left me wondering if it marks a turning point for the Doctor's demeanor going forward.

I hope so, but we'll wait and see. If I remember right that very episode features the doctor not bothering to remember the people hes helpings names or faces because hes just not interested in them.

• Locked thread