Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like how Survival anticipates the new show in its run down setting and the allegory of everyone being so desperate that they become feral.

Also the ep. 2 cliffhanger is pretty dang cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
In retrospect most of what I remember about Robot of Sherwood was Clara having fun playing in costume and that may be enough.

Also it's the episode where the Doctor complains about being imprisoned with a laughing person and my gf said "I love the new grumpy Doctor!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I ever thought was wrong with Night Terrors was that the monsters were kinda cliche.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

Farting aliens: exactly the right way to re-introduce Doctor Who to a new generation

Can't argue with results.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Best part of Robot is after Sarah Jane meets said Robot for the first time, the genius cult people are all explaining things to her and she's still very clearly terrified, they ask if she'd like to see it again and she says "I'd like that very much!" She's so dedicated. :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Watching "The Twin Dilemma" for the first time. The drop in quality between Androzani and it is INCREDIBLE. And I've only just gotten to the infamous choke-out. How did this happen and why?

Though it doesn't explain all the problems with the story, Who season finales on the old show were usually less "big epic blowout spectacular" and more "oh poo poo the money's all gone". At the very least some decent lighting might have saved Mestor.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I really love the chemistry that Capaldi and Coleman developed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What I just recently noticed about the Fourth Doctor is that there's an element of Groucho Marx to him. He has this tendency to come into a situation and completely blow it up and deflate the people who are worried about irrelevant things. The previous Doctors did that in sort of a subtle way, the Fourth just strides right in and mocks everyone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

pinacotheca posted:

To modernise the format, apparently. The programme had a lot of problems at that time, for sure, but frankly the last "improvement" it needed was to lose two cliffhangers out of every story, unless they were going to be replaced with appropriately exciting and dramatic material. Which they weren't.

They struggled with the format, but I think it was inevitable. When they were forced back into 25-minute episodes that was basically a sign that they were doomed- drama just wasn't being done like that anymore.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
2001 ranks up there. The matte lines and such are near invisible because of how insanely meticulous Kubrick was.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I still love the TVM theme.

Is there any reason they took the middle eight out of the original theme in the 70s?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Paradise Towers is one where you can really feel the "we can't be too scary" edict- there are a lot of weird, 2000 AD-esque elements in the story that could be really disturbing, but of course they have the villain really play things for laughs, you've got the computer shouting HUNGRY!, and there's rarely a sense of genuine menace. It's not a bad story (Red Kangs are best!) but it has its flaws- and also might have worked better as a three parter.

It is interesting to see how the influence of contemporary SF was creeping in those last seasons.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Delta and the Bannermen is Who at its most threadbare- the plot is mostly offscreen and there's no real attempt to paint the villain as anything other than pure evil for its own sake, and it takes on a weird meta quality as a result. It's not good at all but it's sort of fascinating.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I remember when I did my own complete rewatch of the classic series, I got to The War Games, saw it was 4 hours long and figured I would watch over multiple nights. 2 hours later I forced myself to stop watching.... and an hour later said,"gently caress it!" and put the next 2 hours on and sat happily through it all. Such an amazing final episode for Troughton.

Whenever I hear people talking about how Doctor Who isn't REALLY Doctor Who anymore, I remember that back when Pertwee took over there were people saying,"Well this basically isn't even Doctor Who anymore, they're just using the name but it's a completely different show now. I mean for God's sake it's in COLOUR! :aaa:"

It all went downhill once they stopped focusing on that policeman in the mist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Since joining Hulu+ I've dug into their classic Who archive- I'm 2/3rds of the way through the E-Space trilogy, and okay, State of Decay is why everyone hates Adric, right?

His introductory story makes him seem normal enough, then he's like "hmm, immortality and all the blood I can drink? Sure!" I know it's another universe and all, cultural mores are different, but drat that's dumb.

Still good couple of stories though- The Leisure Hive is uneven but here you can really see JNT's emphasis on trying to give the show more style and atmosphere, and bring in some weird sci-fi ideas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

When I was a kid watching the show and Adric turned up I knew things were going downhill. Adding a kid (well, teenager in this case) to the cast to appeal to the youngsters was always a sign that a show had turned rotten (this being about ten years before the term "jump the shark" became in vogue). And then Adric was a horrible character, essentially the Westley Crusher of Doctor Who. It was like a double whammy of terribleness.

Oh, since you're watching on Hulu+, you will want to flip over to Amazon Prime Instant Video for Earthshock at the appropriate point. You don't want to skip that one.

Anyhoo, I purchased The Wrong Doctors in that Big Finish sale last week and I've got to say that it's not quite my favorite multi-Doctor story, but it is one of the best of them. That was a lot of fun even if I feel like it didn't really hold together toward the end...

I'm no novice, I've seen Earthshock and a little of every era, just have a lot I haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

On one hand, she is an interesting character and I'm up for diving back into the history of Torchwood a little bit.

On the other hand, Joseph Lidster.

It does seem like there's something appropriate with Lidster writing Torchwood, though, given how often it went the "this is DARK and GRIM and ADULT" route.

• Locked thread