Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-licenced-extended-to-2020

Good news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

:tipshat:"Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart!"
:hist101:"Hello, Doctor."
:tipshat:"So you recognise me then?"
:hist101:"Who else would it be?"

Seven meets Rory?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Robophobia. Seriously, everyone should listen to Robophobia.

Yes. Robophobia is amazing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rochallor posted:

BF 142-The Demons of Red Lodge and Other Stories

Four short stories featuring the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa. Big Finish's short collections are almost always great and this is no exception. Only the first story is somewhat disappointing, but that is only in comparison to the other three. The second story gets some fun jokes out of music history, the third has a wealth of ideas and a fun running gag with Nyssa trying to get arrested. The fourth is probably the best, where the Doctor is recording a DVD commentary over a movie in which he and Nyssa inadvertently featured. A-.

Yes, this is one I enjoy. Especially the 4th, also when you realise that they inadvertantly appeared in the film which is based on the first story of the audio.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

RunAndGun posted:

I realize the color of the Doctor's jacket is supposed to match the Title, but... bleh. Way too much purple.

Yeah, Tennant and a purple suit just don't mix.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I relaly liked Urgent Calls.

Also on my current listen through the last one i did was Pier Pressure, and I largely liked it, but it's not on my "listen to again" list. also at various points, dispite trying my hardest there were three which I just couldn't finish (nekromanteia, creed of the kromon (just bad) and dreamtime (zzzzz)) currently partway through timeworks. I'd do reviews too but i'm no good at them, but i like that one of you guys is roughly where i'm up to, which is nice,

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Creed really is just pretty goddamn awful, whereas at least Dreamtime is just kinda boring with a dollop of rather insensitive cultural appropriation thrown in.

Yeah I did my best to ignore that, us Australians are great at ignoring the cultural appropriation of our indigenous population. But I just kept falling asleep, so I thought gently caress it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah I liked Frankenstein

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Mild warning: the first story

Mild warning: the first story is freaking amazing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

My wife has expressed interest in the Torchwood audios.

Which means I will have to review them.

gently caress.

gently caress!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

You should probably do all the tv episodes as well, for backgrounds sake.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I feel like when I actually watch Torchwood, the "Torchwood is the worst thing in the Universe, worse than getting your toes stomped on while you watch Star Trek: Voyager" stuff is going to over-prepare me to the point where I say "I don't know. The dog in this show isn't really that shaggy."

It's really not as bad as people say, with the odd moment or episode that just really is as bad as people say. Cyberwoman being the most prominent.

Although with the exception of the brilliant Children of Earth season, the show still isn't quite as good as the Sarah Jane Adventures was.

While I'm at it, the Australian kids K9 series is pretty poo poo.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

King Plum the Nth posted:

I'd swear most of his film career is a bet or training excercise he has with hemself to find the most crap scripts/parts and still try to be amazing in them. He somehow made GI Joe worth fast forwarding through and was the only reason I didn't become physically violent during the abominable adaptation of The Dark is Rising. I was so excited when he was anounced for the villian in Thor 2 but I agree he met his match there. It's not even the worst movie he's been in but he made no impression at all. Given how magnetic he is and his aptitude for elevating the worst dialogue it was uncanny. Could have been anybody under that makeup. Like a stuntman. Or a contest winner. Such a waste.

That's mostly fair enough, but 28 Days Later was loving amazing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

I just really dislike the term haters because of how it generalizes people who have genuine complaints and criticisms, and brushes them aside as if their opinion is lesser.

So some one who defends anything with that broad statement? Yeah they tend to draw ire.

This is Dr Who. There are no genuine complaints.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

A certain Forest episode would disagree with you.
Nah I liked it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Gordon Shumway posted:

So you just enjoyed the poo poo out of Love and Monsters, then?

Fixed that. And yes.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

A lot of people like Midnight for some reason, so I dunno.

Also Planet of the Ood.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

After The War posted:

...OF DEATH? Time loops are reserved for Shearman.

Zygon Who Fell To Earth being so closely released to Boy That Time Forgot made for an unpleasant Magrs-does-Lidster period in my release date runthrough. Thankfully, I got to The Ultimate Adventure soon afterwards, and it was exactly the remedy I needed. Daleks and Cybermen goofier than ever, ridiculous dialogue (actually written for children), direct descriptions of what the characters are seeing, ham, ham, ham... it was a blast. Only thing that bugged me were some tacked-on songs for the companions that didn't fit. Not the Mercenary Space Bar owner's song, though, that was :krad:

We also can't forget 1963: Fanfare for the Common Men. Probably one of my favourites just for the goofy Beatles stuff going on.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Could be some of you are remembering Ghostbusters a little too fondly.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

cargohills posted:

For the sake of your own sanity, please don't try to watch every episode of Doctor Who. It's hard enough sitting through some of the lovely episodes on their own.

I'll get on it once I've done all the audios.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Back on topic.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---main-range-to-2020

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Just found Doctor Who and The Pirates! On eBay for $10. Snapped that up quick.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, their non-UK download prices are weird like that. I don't know about other currencies but the US and Aus $ are just at that amount, not converted.

from the big finish forums

quote:

Outside of the UK, a straight currency conversion on our prices - which I think all in the UK will agree are fair and competitive with similar products - makes us pretty much unaffordable. The giants (Sony, etc) have pushed down prices so much, that local prices vary greatly across the world. The people who are upset about BF prices don't seem to think that this is the same for games, CDs, DVDs too. A UK priced DVD, for example, would be twice the US price if charged at conversion and no one would buy it.

Which is the decision we have: do we sell nothing outside of the UK, or at least make a small amount from a much bigger global market?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

FreezingInferno posted:

...I'm almost out of Doctor Who stories to watch, guys. :ohdear:

Don't you worry, there's plenty to listen to.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Is there anyone who doesn't think Zagreus is a bloated mess?

It is a fun listen, even if it's endless and it's hard to hear Pertwee though.

I tried to listen to it one time, it was a mess.

On my listen through it made a lot more sense and was really good. only slightly bloated perhaps.

I have no desire to relisten.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I know I'm going to regret this...but where does the phrase "Tom's putting it in now" come from?

I'll explain later.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I liked it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Just finished the third story in 100...

gently caress you, Joseph Lidster. gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, and gently caress you.

http://youtu.be/mz5ODQCueP8

What 3rd story? I thought there was only 1, 2 and 4.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I like what I've heard of the Lost Stories. They feel pretty much like old school episodes, as most of them actually were to some extent which just didn't get made.

Just be warned there are a couple that are just really bad. Prison in Space is probably the worst one I can remember.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I really need to find a way to watch League of Gentlemen here in the States. The only bit I ever saw was Gatiss doing the cave tour and it was one of the funniest and darkest things I had ever busted a gut over.

Yeah, that is one of my two favourite sketches, the other is also a long Gatiss monologue, as a morgue attendant giving a lecture of sorts.
If this video works, it starts at 10:44 in this video, avoid the rest of the episode until you manage to watch the lot in order, season 3 requires working up to, but this sketch is stand alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-_a6cCKTGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

After The War posted:

The most positive review I've seen!

You've not seen my posts?

• Locked thread