Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Android Blues posted:

I think The Eleventh Hour stands on its own best. Rose is so awfully dated by now, and was never a spectacular episode to begin with.

I agree that Eleventh Hour is the best way in, but Rose is, I think, better than you're giving it credit for. Billie is great, the Autons are fairly silly but not THAT bad and it gives us 9's "I can feel it" speech, which is pretty loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I say watch all the episodes in random order and assume a giant Memento style plot is in the works. That's how you watch Who.

This but add a title card at the end of every episode reading "BAD WOLF". Then explain that it turns out BAD WOLF meant BAD WOLF the whole time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Well, the hair cut didn't last long:

http://www.bigfinish.com/img/news/doomcoalitionhighres_image_large.jpg

Guess he's been too busy with The Master and the Daleks to get it cut.

I wonder if Mark Bonnar is playing a conniving arsehole.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Also, I prefer just calling it The TV Movie or Grace:1999.

Man, the title sequence for Grace:1999 would be great.

THIS EPISODE
<repeated smash cuts to Eric Roberts chewing scenery>

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The Master's trial. Why would the Daleks put the Master on trial, they asked? Probably because of the Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks stuff, was my guess.

The Master's trial is a bit weird though, you must concede. If they're putting him on trial for the Frontier/Planet stuff, why would they let the Doctor come and collect his remains? The Master annoyed them a bit, the Doctor ruined their plans over and over and over again and made them blow up their homeworld.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Yadda yadda Act of Master Restitution gubbins.

Ehhhhhhhhh. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the movie for what it is, and I don't mind a lot of the other stuff that people seem to have problems with - 7's death is entirely fitting, the master would ALWAYS have an out even if it was being a snake, etc etc. It's just the "trial" and the "half human" bits that grate.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

Haha , the motorcycle scene could have been slotted into any and every Tennant episode and no one would have blinked.

Maybe if it was a moped or a segway.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Friday was the announcement that their license was renewed until March 31, 2020. Saturday was the information and cover about the latest Eight Doctor series "Doom Coalition". Sunday was the announcement that they're doing more Virgin NA adaptations (All Consuming Fire, Nightshade, Theatre of War, Original Sin, plus one more), and Monday was info on the Fourth Doctor series 6 (The Doctor, the 2 Romana, and K9, set in season 18)

Oh man, please tell me Gatiss is adapting Nightshade.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Except in that one Unbound audio. Specifically the end of Full Fathom Five where the Doctor is shot, regenerates and then is shot again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

One of the things I liked about Tennant's overlong farewell tour was his conversation with Wilf in which he talked about how regeneration did feel like dying. It means that regenerating by violent death isn't just losing hundreds of years of his life, it's a real, personal death. Five's conversation with Iris in whichever Excelis he's in supports it too. It means they don't have to add artificial direness to situations by making it a danger that he won't regenerate this time and trying to define the exact rules; it's a death just like (Sandman spoilers) Morpheus's: despite Dream continuing on, Morpheus himself really does die.

That's my favorite thing about regeneration. It's like the incumbent Doctor dies and a totally different person suddenly wakes up with all of his memories.

Well, not QUITE a completely different person. They always have a core of Doctorness in the middle (which is why the valeyard as a concept never really worked for me). They might be arrogant, or a bit more devious, or sillier or a hopeless Romantic, but they're always still the Doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Don't forget the transduction barriers!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

Counterpoint: If you want to hear Sylvester McCoy say "Brrrrrrrrrigadier", you have limited options.

You have Remembrance. :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

Group Captain!

HE STILL SAYS IT

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

How about this, then? Sylvester McCoy and Nicholas Courtney have an instant rapport that makes it seem like they've been working together for years.

Also, Pyromaniac Girlfriend.

Yes, this is entirely fair. I find it hard to dislike much from McCoy's run as he was MY Doctor, but even with that in mind I agree that a lot of the grief Battlefield gets is perhaps a bit unfair. You get the Brig, you get Bessie, you get the Brig standing off against a nigh immortal beastie with his revolver (twice) and you get an extra Brigadier played by the female Dave Lister. Also it isn't Silver Nemesis, which surely is worth a lot of points.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Coming soon, from Big Finish: Starless Universe, starring Arthur Darvill as the Last Centurion...

All episodes written by Joe Lidster, each revealing a horrible way Rory was tortured during his thousands of years of life.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

At last, Rory is going to kick the football he's been waiting for 2000 years to kick, until the person holding it dies of cancer and the ball rolls away, to be eaten by the kite eating tree, which also ate Rory's kite.

Also the football was made from Rory's best friend's skin.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

The Harvest, Night Thoughts, Frozen Time, and if you liked Colditz, A Thousand Tiny Wings.

And let's not forget UNIT: Dominion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

I won't get to A Thousand Tiny Wings before I plan to listen to UNIT: Dominion. Am I still good to go?

Ehhhhh, maybe. I guess if you've heard Colditz you can go into Dominion but it works better after Wings/Fittest/Architects.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Matt Lucas and David Walliams of Little Britain said they would have drop the narrator for Little Britain if Tom had turned them down, because he was the only person who could say those horrible things and get away with it.

His narration for the old Lee and Herring show "Lionel Nimrod's Inexplicable World" was pretty great as well, although in contrast to Little Britain he apparently told them that some of the stuff they wanted him to say was TOO horrible and wouldn't do it. And his narration for Hostile Waters is great as well.

Basically yes, Tom is great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thunderfinger posted:

I would rather have Dance as the Master because I imagine he'll play it as Tywin Lannister, whereas Rickman would play it as Snape, which would be kinda boring to me.

Why wouldn't he play it as Hans Gruber?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

You're South African? :haw:

Edit: Just to clarify, I actually really like the South African accent, but they seem to get a lot of grief for it for some reason. I blame Lethal Weapon.

It's true. A Londoner is responsible for all the hate the South African accent gets.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Didn't a lot of people post about hating the Big Finish Key to Time here? Or was it just the Graceless spin-off? I'm a bit into the second part (The Destroyer of Delights) and it's actually really good so far. They're definitely rolling the dice with it, because one of the Companion Chronicles in the middle of it is told from the bad sister's perspective, although I have to admit that even though I objected to that on principle, the story was actually pretty okay except for the ending.

I think it was mostly Graceless - BBC7 Radio 4 Extra are repeating that at the moment and it is indeed pretty bad.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

I'm watching The Sontaran Experiment and it's really hard to take Mr. Potato Heads seriously, even after the alien bug things in The Ark in Space.

Harry Sullivan is awesome though.

HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

They certainly got a bit more experimental once they became comfortable with the format, which is to be applauded, but it does make it a bit of a slog to get through some of those early experiments. They also tried a couple of stories that were only 2 parters but about 45 minutes long each, which I recall them doing back during the latter part of the Classic series run too (I didn't like it then either!).

In fairness the classic season when they did that was Colin Baker's first one and the problems weren't isolated to the episode length.

Also, for British listeners it's worth noting that in I.D. Marriott is played by Gyles Brandreth, so if you've ever wanted to hear a former Tory MP basically growling "HULK SMASH" then this is the audio for you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

In the rather unlikely case you needed yet another reason not to vote for UKIP[1]

[1]You know, alongside the racism, homophobia, anti-immigration, bigoted views, etc, etc.

Weirdly there doesn't seem to be any UKIP donors that have TV production companies. I would have assumed this was a Richard Desmond inspired policy but I forgot that he sold his interest in Channel 5 in 2014.

Edit: The fact I can go to the electoral commission's website and download a CSV file full of donor data is pretty great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

nothing in itself. But it's trying for a horror-light feel, and the daytime setting (combined with the relative fast pace of the episodes) doesn't bring the right mood to it. There's a reason pretty much all horror films take place in a dark setting, fear of the unseen, you know.

Pretty sure that this is because JNT bought shares in fluorescent light factories.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Chairman Mao posted:

What's great about ghost light is that while there is a bunch of cut material, almost all of the important information is still in the story, hidden in offhand remarks and comments by the doctor, light, ace and nimrod.

It's definitely dripping with metaphor though. Everything in ghost light, right down to the setting, is about evolution vs intelligent design. I'd go into detail but I feel like I would be up for ages writing page after page about it. It's such a dense script it really should have been a four parter, or even longer.

It's another one that suffers from the ridiculous lighting of that era too. There's no way that Gabriel Chase should be as bright and shiny as it is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Welp. Chalk that up to my terrible memory then. For some reason I remember things like the first meeting with RFC being really bright.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I seem to have misplaced the Eric Saward/Ian Levine comic again. Could anyone repost it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The crack was still better than Smith's own version of what was in the room.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Haha. They must at least pay decently, I guess, or else be very pleasant to work with, because they've managed to get pretty much everybody back at this point. I think Jackie Lane and Mathew Waterhouse are the only living companions from Classic Who who haven't recorded with them.

From what gets said in the interviews that get included as extras, everyone just likes doing it - David Warner's told his agent to just accept anything from Big Finish because he has so much fun doing it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

The Kingmaker. Third act cliffhanger.

WHAT.

I'm not a huge Nev Fountain fan but Kingmaker is pretty drat great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I seem to remember the beeb doing some torchwood audios a little while back that were a lot better than I was expecting. Does anyone know if big finish had a hand in those?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jsor posted:

Man, I just saw the second Thor movie and it made me appreciate his Doctor even more. Holy poo poo did they waste him in that film. He wasn't even bad, he was just given nothing other than some made up fantasy gibberish language and scowling.

He's done plenty of poo poo. The villain in Gone In 60 Seconds being particularly egregious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

My wife has expressed interest in the Torchwood audios.

Which means I will have to review them.

gently caress.

gently caress!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Again, the BBC ones weren't bad. They all occur post Owen and Toshiko leaving but pre Ianto leaving. I didn't listen to the original one (which I can see was a Lidster penned one) but the other ones were fine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I remember Golden Age and Dead Line being pretty good. The latter being a bit Sapphire & Steel, in a good way.

I liked Dead Line - it was what I'd envisaged Torchwood as being when it was first announced... which is to say a Welsh X-Files.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MikeJF posted:

One of the main characters attempts to rape a woman using drugs in the first episode during his free time and this isn't ever really brought up and he just happily continues along as a member of the team.

He doesn't just ATTEMPT, it's heavily implied he's successful.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

He really is an abhorrent man. That was the real failing of Torchwood, I think - it's not that everyone is complicated, it's that everyone is just terrible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

All three parts of 100 are really great and summarize the Six/Evelyn era nicely. Good thing they didn't have Joseph Lidster contribute a story, that would have thrown the whole thing off.

Agreed. Throwing in some "BUT THEN IT TURNED OUT THE DOCTOR HADNT SAVED THEM" story would have soured it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MikeJF posted:

The Doctor outright said that the cathedral was bigger on the inside, but just implied Missy had engineered that. I doubt it was her TARDIS. If nothing else, doesn't landing a TARDIS inside a TARDIS make things go wonkadoo?

I think it's landing a tardis around another tardis that makes things go wonkadoo rather than landing one inside another. Those could be the same thing, (they certainly are semantically) but I think the only thing we've ever seen on screen is the Doctor deliberately materialising around the Master's tardis rather than in it.

• Locked thread