Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The thinking behind "start with Deep Breath", in case anyone cares, was to get people caught up as quickly as possible with the Doctor that they were going to be seeing in new episodes, and trying not to put people off with "sure you can join in but first you need to watch eleventy-one years of old episodes with twiddly-two billion different lead actors".

CobiWann posted:

Was anyone here from the UK NOT surprised by the fact that Billie Piper could actually act?

I'd seen her in The Canterbury Tales (currently available on a popular video-sharing website), so no, it wasn't a surprise at all. IIRC, Outpost Gallifrey was split about 30/30/40 between "OMG it's Bonnie Langford all over again", "STFU she's great she was an actor before she was a pop star", and "Actually I'm more concerned about whether they're going to credit the lead actor as 'Doctor Who' or 'The Doctor'".

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

I did just see a teenager with green bubble wrap on one hand.

You have no idea how relieved this makes me for the entire future of the world.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you can take the costumes and sets seriously, and that's a bigger ask than usual, Robots of Death is one of the scariest things the show's ever done, right from that scene where the crew casually discusses the grisly details of massage robots malfunctioning.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Greatest Show is my favourite McCoy, even though it's probably not the best. I don't even need to watch it to make me happy, just listening to the soundtrack is good enough. Sod Murray Gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYH3nQwGOg

dikkadikkadikkadikkadikka

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

After The War posted:

The Doctor never switched the TARDIS film library to VHS, and he made the right decision. :colbert:

Why would he switch a film library onto video? :colbert: :colbert:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Edit: Also, I never realised that Bambera was played by the female Dave Lister. I feel like I should have done.

Shame.

*entire audience cringes*

*Keff McCulloch sits on his keyboard again*

*Sophie Aldred nearly crippled again*

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also the ep. 2 cliffhanger is pretty dang cool.

https://youtu.be/BVAUYhmOK-0?t=8m00s

Once again, sod Murray Gold.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Any suggestions on what to watch next?

The Mind Robber, The Silurians (definitely break this up over a week), The Ark in Space, Earthshock, Vengeance on Varos, Paradise Towers. Build high for happiness!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He came back to chew scenery and play cricket. And he's all out of scenery.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cleretic posted:

As I recall, it was mainly just an attempt at reining in the budget; by setting the whole thing on a modern(ish) Earth they could save money on sets. You might also be right, of course, but the stated reason has always been cost.

IIRC the main problem was needing to economise in order to fund the switch from black and white to colour; they also had their episode count cut in half from 52 to 26, and Barry Letts was allowed to experiment with this strange newfangled idea he'd had about doing all his recording sessions by set or location within a story, instead of episode-by-episode within a story.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fenric is pretty good most of the time, but then...

DoctorWhat posted:

And yet they're still fantastic. You just gotta detach yourself and take an abstracted, metaphorical reading, like you do with a lot of Cartmel-era stuff. Understand that there are LAYERS of subtext going on.

That's a really good idea!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

nothing in itself. But it's trying for a horror-light feel, and the daytime setting (combined with the relative fast pace of the episodes) doesn't bring the right mood to it. There's a reason pretty much all horror films take place in a dark setting, fear of the unseen, you know.

I think this is something where you need to cut the show a bit of slack. Between location lighting and overtime, half an episode's worth of night shooting would probably have knackered their budget for the entire year. This is firmly in the tradition of "we in no way have the funds to realise our ideas 'properly', but gently caress it, let's do it anyway!" There's no point watching classic Who if you can't go "aha, now this slightly dodgy contrivance is meant to represent XYZ, they don't have the time/money to do it, but I can appreciate the effort and meet them halfway" sometimes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

It's another one that suffers from the ridiculous lighting of that era too. There's no way that Gabriel Chase should be as bright and shiny as it is.

Dude, Ghost Light is usually cited as one of the 80s stories with good, restrained lighting. There's a load of scenes in the basement where it's dark enough to start throwing up buckets and buckets of grain on the videotape. They couldn't have made it much darker without making it completely unwatchable.

MikeJF posted:

Does the cut material from Fenric and Ghost Light still exist in any form?

Fenric has an extended DVD release with the original TX version and an extended movie-length cut with most of the cut material restored. For Ghost Light the cut material only exists with a burned-in timecode on the screen, so it's provided as an extended DVD extra. (Buy the DVDs! They're great value! As [whatever Komrade Hitlerstalin calls himself these days] said once, they don't just throw in the kitchen sink, they also throw in the rusty old spare drainpipe they found lying in an old closet somewhere!)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 25, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

but in my opinion nothing sours a young kid on Shakespeare faster than having to read it

There is one thing worse than just reading it - that Godawful ritual of making the class take turns to read the play out loud...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

River Song has always struck me as being nothing so much as GMS being *extremely* pissy that he never got a chance to write an NA with Benny in. (Mind you, if I were in his place I'd be pissy too because Benny's probably the best thing the NAs did.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

My definition of "nobody" includes Phillip Sandifer :colbert:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Toxteth O'Grady, USA.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I am exceptionally proud that when I was born, the British #1 was The Chicken Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NemkBVSnUt0

Hoooold a chicken in the air!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

whoops, misclicked

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

William Hartnell owns so hard it's untrue. We wouldn't have any of this without him and his chair with a panda on it. Sheer poetry, dear boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoxQKGDPtoo

Ha haa! Hoo hoo!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's an animated movie of it. Don't watch it alone.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

saucerman posted:

Is this on the level of Watership Down? I saw that one as a kid...

This is one you can have either way. Either Watership Down is worse because it blindsides you by pretending to be about cute fluffy bunny-wunnies, or When The Wind Blows is worse because it ends with the horrible and gruesome death of your slightly batty but still lovable old grandparents. Depends on the kid.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

@5:05 into the first episode of "The War Machines" has my favorite Hartnell moment of all time in it.

Can I just mention that this story has absolutely the bossest way of putting up the story title/writer/part credits this side of The Ambassadors...

:siren: OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :siren:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Novels are usually better than the films that they're based on for me, but actually some of the few exceptions are with Roald Dahl.

If you asked me about which Chocolate Factory I thought was better, the original Gene Wilder movie or the novel, I'd actually have difficulty trying to answer. The book has a lot of really cool stuff that isn't in the movie, but the film just feels more focused and has more heart.

The film is an absolutely textbook example of how you take the spirit from a book and preserve it and have it shine through at every step, while also not just taking everything word-for-word and changing things to make the film work better as a film. It's amazing. And never was there a story better-suited to be told as a musical.

Although, you know what I wish I didn't know? I wish I didn't know that Roald Dahl hated the thing, because among other things, he knew exactly who should have been Willy Wonka; he wanted Spike Milligan to be Willy Wonka.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Apparently he lives "in east Sussex", which sounds suspiciously like he might be among Mary Whitehouse's curtain-twitching constituency.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

evenworse username posted:

"Robot" is awesome because Benton has a genuinely useful idea and is just SO drat HAPPY ABOUT IT.

Also, "there is just one teeny weeny little thing".

I quote Tom's line about computers to people all the time:

quote:

The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots. They do exactly what you tell them at amazing speed.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Since so many classic serials are available online in one way or another, pretty much the only reason I have the urge to buy them on DVD is for the audio commentaries. Does anybody have any standouts/recommendations? So far "anything with Peter Davison and/or Colin Baker" seems to be the running theme from what I've seen online elsewhere.

Pretty much this. They both have the perfect mixture of fond mockery, genuine fondness, and interesting/informative stuff about what it was like to work on the show. (Timelash with Colin/Nicola/Paul Darrow is a great reason to watch that again.) Sylvester/Sophie is also about as great as you'd expect. The Curse of Fenric one with them plus Nicholas Parsons being slightly loopy is wonderful.

Plus, don't underestimate the quality of the other features. Whatever exists, you get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE1Wq8w5qmE

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can we talk about how Janet Fielding's twitter name is @jfmouthonlegs?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's true, I'm only qualified to practice on sailors :getin:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Quatermass, Quatermass, Quatermass.

You'd probably also dig the 1954 adaptation of Nineteen Eighty-Four, at the time so controversial that questions were asked in Parliament about it, with Peter Cushing as Winston Smith, Donald Pleasance as Syme, and Andre Morell as O'Brien.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 14, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I've still got my rewrite of Fear Her with Pertwee/Jo/UNIT. (Guess who gets to light the torch? It's not the Doctor.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today I learned (or was reminded) that Jon Pertwee was Croft and Perry's first choice to play Captain Mainwaring on Dad's Army. That would've been a bit :stare:. Perhaps not quite as :stare: as the hypothetical scenario in which the Third Doctor is played by Arthur Lowe, but :stare: nonetheless.

(Though taking a step back, hardly outside the realms of plausibility, since Pertwee was best known for comedy and music hall before he was in Doctor Who.)

Not only that, but he became a household name through being one of the three stars of The Navy Lark on radio, in which he played the ship's terminally light-fingered chief petty officer. He could definitely have done it, although in a completely different way to Arthur Lowe.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Is Revelation rated highly? I mean, in comparison to the stories that surround it in that season it's a work of loving art, but I've never really seen people singing it's praises.

Revelation has a dedicated fanbase, and some do indeed say it's a classic. I like it a lot (yes, including Alexei Sayle) although it's got some big flaws; I'm a real sucker for Roger Limb music and Graeme Harper's directing style, which was at least ten years ahead of its time. And is there a creepier, scarier scene anywhere than Stengos in the glass Dalek begging his daughter to kill him? And it's also great to see Roy Tromelly get a chance to play Davros on TV with something more to him than just yelling at people.

Incidentally, this seems like a good time to mention the Doctor Who Dynamic Rankings; by their nature they'll always be slightly tilted towards what just aired, but they're still pretty great. Vote early and often!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, every component part seems to suit Capaldi well (love those trousers :swoon:), but as a whole the outfit is a mess.

Good. I'm bored of Doctors with outfits designed by a first-year fashion student.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Rochallor posted:

Logopolis also has one of the, if not the best, soundtracks of the series. It's this wonderful, bizarre little fairy tale and it's a great note for Baker to go out on. The whole season, really, is just of exceptional quality.

Love those Radiophonic Workshop scores from the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXACtP92zg

If this seems to have a vaguely familiar quality, it may be because this one was done by Paddy Kingsland, who also did the music for The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I know he's a massive fanboy, but surely cosplaying as John Nathan-Turner is a step too far?

Speaking of which...

Fil5000 posted:

It manages to simultaneously have too much going on and be boring. Also Nazis Paramilitaries.

Do you *want* to be haunted by a disembodied Hawaiian shirt for the next thirty years???

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Esteemed forums poster MrL_Jakiri, I wish to know what opinions you have on Shada.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If there's anyone here who hasn't watched Robin of Sherwood, I encourage you to go do that. If you're in here, it'll probably be right up your alley. Fortunately, some helpful fellow has uploaded plenty of episodes to a popular video-sharing website, so what excuse do you have? None at all.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I think Tomb is pretty loving great visually as well

There are some parts that are great (the first appearance of a Cyberman, the Doctor flipping switches behind Klieg's back), and then there are parts like the Hitler moustache salutes and throwing Toberman woughly to the floor that should definitely be heard and not seen.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sir, I wish to take issue with your interpretation of story naming conventions :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anyway up next is occasionally referred to as a classic, I'll be watching that one from on the bike down at the gym so no updates during it

Surely if you're going to watch one story while on a gym bike, it should be Terror of the Vervoids?

• Locked thread