Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
So, college student here.

What are some good part-time jobs to look into? I'm really up for anything, from cashier to starbucks to moving/construction. My only problem is when job searching for part time, I don't know where to look. Guess I'm just asking where should I start looking? Also how do you build a resume for these places if you haven't worked at a real job before (only have done tutoring on the side)?

Hope this is the right place to post this kind of question. Anyway thanks for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Anyone can tell you to go fill out an application at Starbucks, but I'm guessing you came here for something more. Could you give us a bit more information about your situation? For example:

Are you in a small college town in the middle of nowhere, a medium sized city, or a huge city? Do you have a car or access to reliable public transportation? Do you qualify for programs like work study that give you a leg up on school jobs? Can you give us your major or a general idea of what your major is? Have you ever worked a job anywhere, no matter how small or "silly"?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Anyone can tell you to go fill out an application at Starbucks, but I'm guessing you came here for something more. Could you give us a bit more information about your situation? For example:

Are you in a small college town in the middle of nowhere, a medium sized city, or a huge city? Do you have a car or access to reliable public transportation? Do you qualify for programs like work study that give you a leg up on school jobs? Can you give us your major or a general idea of what your major is? Have you ever worked a job anywhere, no matter how small or "silly"?

NYC, doing animation, I know most 2d programs and a bunch of video editing programs (and sound design). And no haven't really worked at a job anywhere which is kind of why I'm concerned. Of course there is the internship option, trying to build my portfolio to apply to those, but most are not payed for entry level (but then hopefully they hire you). Just kind of wanted a backup plan. I'll look into the government link.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
When I was in college, I was a security guard at a factory in the middle of an industrial park. There is basically no theft to worry about in that sort of situation, all I really did was unlock doors and hand out band aids. The rest of my time was spent sitting around without really anything to do, so I was able to get a lot of homework done.

It isn't at all related to your industry but it pays the bills which is pretty much no big deal when you drop it on a resume and it is concurrent with school.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

You could try applying to bullshit data entry jobs - just play up your ability to learn new computer programs. Have you done any volunteering beyond a random hour/afternoon once a year? Do you have any hobbies (not gaming) that involve doing stuff with other people? Those could also help.

I was an accounting assistant at my university when I was still in school. I believe my only qualification was being a math major, which made me "good with numbers", and the money was just booze and party money. When I graduated in 2008 my original career path crashed and burned with the global economy, but I was able to use the accounting experience to get my foot into a company doing some real basic accounting work. I've since moved up to being company controller, all thanks to some bullshit part time accounting job in college.

If you can't get a paid position doing animation work, try getting experience that could be used for a backup plan if things fall to poo poo later on in your life. So much dumb poo poo happens to all of us - it's never a bad idea to have backup skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

You could try applying to bullshit data entry jobs - just play up your ability to learn new computer programs. Have you done any volunteering beyond a random hour/afternoon once a year? Do you have any hobbies (not gaming) that involve doing stuff with other people? Those could also help.

I was an accounting assistant at my university when I was still in school. I believe my only qualification was being a math major, which made me "good with numbers", and the money was just booze and party money. When I graduated in 2008 my original career path crashed and burned with the global economy, but I was able to use the accounting experience to get my foot into a company doing some real basic accounting work. I've since moved up to being company controller, all thanks to some bullshit part time accounting job in college.

If you can't get a paid position doing animation work, try getting experience that could be used for a backup plan if things fall to poo poo later on in your life. So much dumb poo poo happens to all of us - it's never a bad idea to have backup skills.
You're a controller and you have a math degree vs accounting/finance? Do you hold a CMA? Congrats, for sure, thats really cool! I am just surprised

• Locked thread