Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Otacon posted:

If you could be any video game ever, which would you be?

I'd be a dota

I'd be a gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Otacon posted:

I'd be a dota

I'd be n64's 007 goldeneye

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

orange juche posted:

I'd be n64's 007

King of FSPs.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Dr. Pangloss posted:

King of FSPs.

ff7 sephiroth

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Pangloss posted:

King of FSPs.

never played, was it good?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

drakegrim posted:

Actually, i would like to take this time to give an (applaud) to to you for making my "work from home on Fridays" more enjoyable these last few weeks.

Lucky Bastard.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

drakegrim posted:

Actually, i would like to take this time to give an (applaud) to to you for making my "work from home on Fridays" more enjoyable these last few weeks.

puppetmasta'd into providing ~entertainment~ against your very will~

- Missartaq

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Otacon posted:

I'd be a dota

i'd be a pokemans

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Cimber posted:

never played, was it good?

It was good, but you can never go back to it now.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Dr. Pangloss posted:

why not?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
does Goldeneye Source have screenwatching

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Dammit, i always miss out on the good things.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jackard posted:

does Goldeneye Source have screenwatching

If you are like me, you probably didn’t grow up with Goldeneye on the N64, being a 2000’s kid and all. Well, I actually had the pleasure to go back and play through Goldeneye 007. And from what I’ve played it’s okay, I mean, it doesn’t hold up as well as it did in 1997, but it was an overall good game in small doses.

Now, what most people talk about is the multiplayer. While I did find the multiplayer fun… it doesn’t age as well as the campaign does. Mainly because If you have more than two people playing it can get a bit choppy by most standards. But alas there is a better way to play multiplayer for Goldeneye, no not the Wii remake (as good as it is), but Goldeneye: SOURCE.

The idea for this is pure genius. Some naive and smart fellow took Goldeneye’s hectic multiplayer and used Valve’s source engine to make online multiplayer gold. And you know what, it works really well. Sure it’s not perfect, per say, but it can be an addicting experience.

First off let’s just start by saying this game is HARD. I mean the learning curve can take quite a while, but it is worth it. You get a genuinely fun and wholesome experience for FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

When you start up a game there are a few modes. Ranging from a capture the flag like mode called upload, a straight up deathmatch, or ‘you only live twice’. Most of the modes are fun but the deathmatch is where it is AT…BRO! You can have up to 16 players (well, if you can find a server with that many, we’ll get to that later…) all for themselves duking it out. It is simply glorious.

The best part of the game is it stays true to its source material. The same music and sound effects from the original Goldeneye are here, and while they sound strange at times they are still solid. Same thing with the graphics, it looks like it comes from the Source Engine but it still has a lot of similarities to the original.

Quite possibly the best part is the hectic strategy you have. You won’t get anywhere guns-a-blazing you have to think before you shoot. Look around for weapons that you can hog for yourself and use to dominate other players. LIKE THE SHOTGUN. EHEJBDHGURGYFGHBJHUJ HAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!! I love me the shotgun.

In all seriousness the game, may be fun, but it has some flaws, first off. When the wow factor of ‘WHOA I’M PLAYING A COMPLETELY NEW RAVAMPED GOLDENIAH’ wears off, it can become a little drab. Second off, no campaign, so you only have multiplayer to keep you company. Not that multiplayer is bad, but it would have been cool to play a new goldeneye campaign on the source engine. And before you say there is the Wii remake, I liked it a lot, but it wasn’t the same.

But seriously. MODDERS LISTEN TO MY PLEA!!!!!!! Third, Sniper Rifles in this game suck. And finally, sometimes the experience, to me, was just overall lacking. But when you stop and realize this is free, all the flaws are kind of thrown out of way. But the most glaring fault is there are so few people playing it. Seriously guys, download this. There are more people

In the end what do I think of Goldeneye: Source? It was good, was it the almighty best gaming mod experience on PC? No, but if you liked Goldeneye the original, you will like this game.

WITH THIS IS MIND I GIVE THIS GAME A 7.5/10. AND SINCE IT'S FREE, YOU SHOULD PLAY IT.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Otacon posted:

If you are like me, you probably didn’t grow up with Goldeneye on the N64, being a 2000’s kid and all. Well, I actually had the pleasure to go back and play through Goldeneye 007. And from what I’ve played it’s okay, I mean, it doesn’t hold up as well as it did in 1997, but it was an overall good game in small doses.

Now, what most people talk about is the multiplayer. While I did find the multiplayer fun… it doesn’t age as well as the campaign does. Mainly because If you have more than two people playing it can get a bit choppy by most standards. But alas there is a better way to play multiplayer for Goldeneye, no not the Wii remake (as good as it is), but Goldeneye: SOURCE.

The idea for this is pure genius. Some naive and smart fellow took Goldeneye’s hectic multiplayer and used Valve’s source engine to make online multiplayer gold. And you know what, it works really well. Sure it’s not perfect, per say, but it can be an addicting experience.

First off let’s just start by saying this game is HARD. I mean the learning curve can take quite a while, but it is worth it. You get a genuinely fun and wholesome experience for FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

When you start up a game there are a few modes. Ranging from a capture the flag like mode called upload, a straight up deathmatch, or ‘you only live twice’. Most of the modes are fun but the deathmatch is where it is AT…BRO! You can have up to 16 players (well, if you can find a server with that many, we’ll get to that later…) all for themselves duking it out. It is simply glorious.

The best part of the game is it stays true to its source material. The same music and sound effects from the original Goldeneye are here, and while they sound strange at times they are still solid. Same thing with the graphics, it looks like it comes from the Source Engine but it still has a lot of similarities to the original.

Quite possibly the best part is the hectic strategy you have. You won’t get anywhere guns-a-blazing you have to think before you shoot. Look around for weapons that you can hog for yourself and use to dominate other players. LIKE THE SHOTGUN. EHEJBDHGURGYFGHBJHUJ HAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!! I love me the shotgun.

In all seriousness the game, may be fun, but it has some flaws, first off. When the wow factor of ‘WHOA I’M PLAYING A COMPLETELY NEW RAVAMPED GOLDENIAH’ wears off, it can become a little drab. Second off, no campaign, so you only have multiplayer to keep you company. Not that multiplayer is bad, but it would have been cool to play a new goldeneye campaign on the source engine. And before you say there is the Wii remake, I liked it a lot, but it wasn’t the same.

But seriously. MODDERS LISTEN TO MY PLEA!!!!!!! Third, Sniper Rifles in this game suck. And finally, sometimes the experience, to me, was just overall lacking. But when you stop and realize this is free, all the flaws are kind of thrown out of way. But the most glaring fault is there are so few people playing it. Seriously guys, download this. There are more people

In the end what do I think of Goldeneye: Source? It was good, was it the almighty best gaming mod experience on PC? No, but if you liked Goldeneye the original, you will like this game.

WITH THIS IS MIND I GIVE THIS GAME A 7.5/10. AND SINCE IT'S FREE, YOU SHOULD PLAY IT.

Awesome write up!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Jesus christ, this is the thread that will not die.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Cimber posted:

Jesus christ, this is the thread that will not die.

agree we are in April now, time to create a post "April flowers bring gay flowers"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Otacon posted:

So its like a Citizen Cain of the video game world. A great release at the time that was really ground breaking, so much so that a lot of others copied its style and themes. Its so copied and redone in various forms that when you go abck and look at the original you have been exposed to its new ideas for years, so they don't seem so new and exciting to you. You kind of end up wondering what the big deal is, yet had you experienced it when it was new and fresh it would have been staggering.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

well drakegrim paid good money to sticky this thread so i want to make sure he gets his moneys worth

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Cimber posted:

So its like a Citizen Cain of the video game world. A great release at the time that was really ground breaking, so much so that a lot of others copied its style and themes. Its so copied and redone in various forms that when you go abck and look at the original you have been exposed to its new ideas for years, so they don't seem so new and exciting to you. You kind of end up wondering what the big deal is, yet had you experienced it when it was new and fresh it would have been staggering.

GoldenEye 007 is always the first game that comes to mind whenever I get into a nostalgic conversation about how awesome the Nintendo 64 was growing up. Kids my age had birthday parties that revolved around sitting in front of a 32-inch, square television, killing one another in a video game. It’s one of the most memorable games I’ve ever played, and helped make the Nintendo 64 console a huge hit. Now, I can relive some of that same fun at home on my PC, for free.

GoldenEye: Source is a project that has been in the making for some time now. It is currently in a 3.1 Beta stage, and hasn’t had any recent updates since. Having said that, is incredibly robust and is not lacking in any way. I have been having a blast playing GoldenEye: Source in my spare time, and haven’t experienced any bugs yet.

The gameplay in GoldenEye: Source is just the same as the first: frantic, chaotic, and severely unbalanced. I still find myself aggravated at anyone who wields the golden gun in the game, which in turn only brings back more and more fond memories. Team GoldenEye: Source has done a fantastic job of keeping the foundations of the game the same by holding their focus on improvements to graphics, controls, and porting the game over to the generation that fell in love with it.

Getting GoldenEye: Source requires very little. The only thing you need is a copy of Half Life 2 for PC (a game running Valve’s Source engine). Half Life 2 is sold through Steam for a reasonable price, and is often on sale through Steam’s “Weekend Deals” promotions. It’s a fun, popular game with dozens of other mods besides GE:S available to download for free. If you already meet this requirement, then head on over to the GoldenEye: Source website and begin downloading the mod. It’s well worth your while if you ever enjoyed playing the 007 game as a kid.

It’s unfair in today’s world to give a game like this a review score, especially one without a price tag. I can only write this in an FYI kind of way, and hopefully attract some more players to the relatively unknown mod. I recommend if you loved the game as a kid to definitely check it out, even if it’s just to remember the kind of classic gameplay it provided.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Otacon posted:

Gonna download this tonight. I think it might have a different feel than the controller but I have a controller I use on N64 roms like golden eye. Add me on steam Darthzeta88

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Otacon posted:

GoldenEye 007 is always the first game that comes to mind whenever I get into a nostalgic conversation about how awesome the Nintendo 64 was growing up. Kids my age had birthday parties that revolved around sitting in front of a 32-inch, square television, killing one another in a video game. It’s one of the most memorable games I’ve ever played, and helped make the Nintendo 64 console a huge hit. Now, I can relive some of that same fun at home on my PC, for free.

GoldenEye: Source is a project that has been in the making for some time now. It is currently in a 3.1 Beta stage, and hasn’t had any recent updates since. Having said that, is incredibly robust and is not lacking in any way. I have been having a blast playing GoldenEye: Source in my spare time, and haven’t experienced any bugs yet.

The gameplay in GoldenEye: Source is just the same as the first: frantic, chaotic, and severely unbalanced. I still find myself aggravated at anyone who wields the golden gun in the game, which in turn only brings back more and more fond memories. Team GoldenEye: Source has done a fantastic job of keeping the foundations of the game the same by holding their focus on improvements to graphics, controls, and porting the game over to the generation that fell in love with it.

Getting GoldenEye: Source requires very little. The only thing you need is a copy of Half Life 2 for PC (a game running Valve’s Source engine). Half Life 2 is sold through Steam for a reasonable price, and is often on sale through Steam’s “Weekend Deals” promotions. It’s a fun, popular game with dozens of other mods besides GE:S available to download for free. If you already meet this requirement, then head on over to the GoldenEye: Source website and begin downloading the mod. It’s well worth your while if you ever enjoyed playing the 007 game as a kid.

It’s unfair in today’s world to give a game like this a review score, especially one without a price tag. I can only write this in an FYI kind of way, and hopefully attract some more players to the relatively unknown mod. I recommend if you loved the game as a kid to definitely check it out, even if it’s just to remember the kind of classic gameplay it provided.

Another good mod is fistful of frags

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

I think we should go back to discussing the Clintons and their hypocrisy. I would like to hear more of drakegrim's thoughts on this.

(And as an aside, any dedicated MMO player can't help but discuss politics. We're all drawn by intrigue, policy and, let's face it, popularity, so I think it's a fitting discussion for this thread.)

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Xexre posted:

I think we should go back to discussing the Clintons and their hypocrisy. I would like to hear more of drakegrim's thoughts on this.

(And as an aside, any dedicated MMO player can't help but discuss politics. We're all drawn by intrigue, policy and, let's face it, popularity, so I think it's a fitting discussion for this thread.)

I think we should take about Hillary and what she learned from her involvement of Watergate and the Nixon recordings.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

three words:

hillary clinton MMO

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Otacon posted:

three words:

hillary clinton MMO

Where's the kickstarter so I can pay thousands of dollars for early access?

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

smg77 posted:

Where's the kickstarter so I can pay thousands of dollars for early access?

FTFPolitics

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Otacon posted:

three words:

hillary clinton MMO

I think I rather pay to play Bill Clinton MMO : the early cumming.

darthzeta88 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 3, 2015

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

darthzeta88 posted:

Gonna download this tonight. I think it might have a different feel than the controller but I have a controller I use on N64 roms like golden eye. Add me on steam Darthzeta88

i have the rom and the emulator if you need

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
The cover

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Xexre posted:

agree, but i dont want to gently caress up the forum rules, so should this be discussed in another forum?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'd buy that for a dollar!

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

drakegrim posted:

agree, but i dont want to gently caress up the forum rules, so should this be discussed in another forum?

No mods no masters :colbert:

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

darthzeta88 posted:

No mods no masters :colbert:

ill get a sftp up real quick and give you access to download if you like. I have all the nintendo, sega, snes, and N64 games and emulators

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

drakegrim posted:

ill get a sftp up real quick and give you access to download if you like. I have all the nintendo, sega, snes, and N64 games and emulators

and our IP addresses. No thanks!

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Otacon posted:

three words:

hillary clinton MMO

Beginning of the game you start of as secretary of state deleting emails from the Ambassador of Banghazi saying "send help" as she sings "Rick Santorum: Bang the President"

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Cimber posted:

and our IP addresses. No thanks!

cant do poo poo these days with and IP address anyway besides a DDoS attack, to much edge security. Plus should we not learn to come and trust one another on these forums :)

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

What the poo poo, that is disturbing. i can't un-see certain things in life.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
How do you fella's feel about gay sex?

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Xexre posted:

You said it...

Pick one

Hilary:
Banghazi Scandal
E-mail scandal
Bill Clinton and the Pedo airplane to orgy island
Accepting foreign money

Obama:
Solyndra scandal
NSA scandal
ACA gently caress up
Deal with Iran on nuke deal
Fast and Furious
trading terrorist for Bergdahl deserter
Ferguson
IRS targeting conservative groups
VA Scandal

Al sharpton and his race baiting to lobby for more money to pay his WAYYY overdue tax's
Eric Holder getting paid on the side from special interest groups to hustle police in the US

RFRA in Indiana and how the left hosed the whole understanding up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

How do you fella's feel about gay sex?

Wolfy posted:

Cool OP, I'm gay too.

Hexel posted:

I'd be a gay

A disturbing trend among Something Awful posters